Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrPossum posted:

ME3 was really bad in general. Like ME1 was interesting and new with genuine world building

ME3 had a guy trying to gently caress his spaceship

that's one point in favor of the game being good, now try listing some of its bad qualities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

now try listing some of its bad qualities

How about removing an entire main character just so they could sell him as day one DLC?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Sardonik posted:

You're almost there, but the original options were:

A)Kill Reapers, and all synthetic life in the galaxy (only option where shepherd lives)
B)Control the Reapers, like the illusive man wanted
C)Yeah fusion dance with tech and biologic stuff basically

After they patched the ending they added:
D) Shoot the kid, leading to the ending where all space-faring sentient life straight up loses lol

The thing about all the races being separated was speculation based on the destruction of the mass relays in all endings, which was a very good point but the extended ending established that they just rebuilt them.

It was pretty clear that the story was going an entirely different direction in ME2. Whole concepts, like the dark energy stuff were dropped. I think I read somewhere the original ending was going to be about how the reapers were doing their thing to reduce the creation of entropy to preserve the universe, which to my mind makes a lot more sense than what we got, that they were doing it to stop the cycle of robots fighting their creators. Something which is directly contradicted in the text because one way or another you resolve the quarian/geth war just fine??

E: Also nothing Cerberus did made any goddamned sense, there should have been a mission where they tried to steal the crucible, to actually at least try to accomplish their stated objectives, with the illusive man being forced to activate a self destruct by his indoctrination, and you having to fight him to protect the crucible.

Orks are such poo poo, probably the worst campaign in both games.

E2: Other than Skaven

IMHO, the game was in an unrecoverable corner when they decided they had to explain what the reapers were and their motivation. Sovereign in ME1 being like, "we are beyond your comprehension, you will end because we demand it," was enough.

If you picked the option where you killed the Geth you're a stupid fucker and I'm glad you hated the game. :legion:

If you romanced Tali or Liara you're probably a weird creeper and whoever wrote them belongs on a watch list.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DrPossum posted:

ME3 had a guy trying to gently caress his spaceship

Okay, I'm gonna play Mass Effect now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

oh dope posted:

I was shocked when I realized I had just beat the game. You spend the whole game making choices and alliances that seemingly matter, but then there's two fairly easy fights with no real build up to speak of, and boom, you won the game.

The magic system was cool though.

Uhh what? I left Tyranny alone because I figured “I don’t have time for a huge epic RPG rn, let’s dive into this later with full attention”

Say I’ve just spoken with the adjudicator (guy with the masks), am I still in the early game? I’ve made a few choices that seem important

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mass effect 3 is a really good game if you just pretend it's a mass effect 2 dlc where you go straight to tuchanka and kill a reaper and probably also that piece of poo poo traitor mordin, because everything that happens with the reaper and the thresher maw on tuchanka is badass and should have been the finale where you destroy the reapers once and for all

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Uhh what? I left Tyranny alone because I figured “I don’t have time for a huge epic RPG rn, let’s dive into this later with full attention”

Say I’ve just spoken with the adjudicator (guy with the masks), am I still in the early game? I’ve made a few choices that seem important

Yes, I'd say you're likely within the first third still. It's not that short. It's shorter than most CRPGs yes, but it's still a solid experience on its own, even without taking into account how hard the game branches leading to excellent replay value.

There's like 4 core separate runs that each have significant differences in story, dialog, and even levels:

Side with Chorus
Side with Disfavored
Side with the invaded population against the overlord
Side with nobody and go it alone.

Also the magic system is good and you can, and are encouraged, to troll the poo poo out of everybody.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

poverty goat posted:

mass effect 3 is a really good game if you just pretend it's a mass effect 2 dlc where you go straight to tuchanka and kill a reaper and probably also that piece of poo poo traitor mordin, because everything that happens with the reaper and the thresher maw on tuchanka is badass and should have been the finale where you destroy the reapers once and for all

I think the game would have been better if they would have used the plot point from the Citadel DLC where the main antagonist is a clone of Shepard. Instead of just being a stand alone bad guy they would be leading the Reaper's army.

I mainly want this because it would be amazing to be able to choose the appearance of both the hero and villain at the same time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vakal posted:

How about removing an entire main character just so they could sell him as day one DLC?

Iirc they didn't have the budget to fully implement him in the base game and their options were to sell him as DLC or remove him from the game entirely

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vakal posted:

My favorite part of the open palm/closed fist system was when you meet an ancient evil ghost who would refuse to help you unless you could prove you were a follower of the closed fist path.

Normally you could bluff you way through enough that it would give you some dumb fetch quest to prove yourself, but if you had been choosing the "evil" options to everything up to that point, your character would give a nihilistic speech about the futility of life and the inevitable rendering of the world to dust to the point where even the ghost went "Holy poo poo dude, you're way more hardcore than me." and faded away.

The most frustrating part imo was the alignment system.

So the game sets up the alignment system as Open Palm/Closed Fist and even describes at length why it isn’t Good/Evil—Open Palm philosophy is about harmony and cooperation, so you help people but you also potentially rob them of the chance to grow and better themselves through struggle. By contrast Closed Fist is about embracing conflict as a means of bettering oneself. So if you saw someone asking for help, an Open Palm would help and a Closed Fist wouldn’t unless the odds were ridiculously stacked against him or he stood to benefit in some way but not simply out of cruelty. Conversely, a person who decided that they had the power and the right to impose order by force would also be Open Palm.

Of course in-game virtually all the options end up being the basic Good/Evil. The worst example I can think of is a quest where you find a woman trying to escape a slaver.

The Open Palm resolution is to set her free and kill the slaver. There are two Closed Fist solutions:

1. Give her a knife and tell her to kill the slaver and free herself (fits the philosophy perfectly and the only in game example I can think of)

2. Sell her back to the slaver (gives you more Closed Fist points!)

It’s a fine game and all, but it’s such a waste opportunity to set up a nuanced system like that and just waste it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow 3 pages of bitching about ME and no one brought up the creepy abusive romance option where you seduce the psychologically damaged biotic after killing her captors? I've done a lot of hosed up poo poo in video games but the Jack romance is easily, without question, the cringiest thing ive ever seen in a western video game, and im including the literal sniper rifle demon abortion sequence from Devil May Cry's reboot

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow 3 pages of bitching about ME and no one brought up the creepy abusive romance option where you seduce the psychologically damaged biotic after killing her captors? I've done a lot of hosed up poo poo in video games but the Jack romance is easily, without question, the cringiest thing ive ever seen in a western video game, and im including the literal sniper rifle demon abortion sequence from Devil May Cry's reboot

I guess you think victims of abuse are damaged goods and can never feel joy or love again? smh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

The most frustrating part imo was the alignment system.

So the game sets up the alignment system as Open Palm/Closed Fist and even describes at length why it isn’t Good/Evil—Open Palm philosophy is about harmony and cooperation, so you help people but you also potentially rob them of the chance to grow and better themselves through struggle. By contrast Closed Fist is about embracing conflict as a means of bettering oneself. So if you saw someone asking for help, an Open Palm would help and a Closed Fist wouldn’t unless the odds were ridiculously stacked against him or he stood to benefit in some way but not simply out of cruelty. Conversely, a person who decided that they had the power and the right to impose order by force would also be Open Palm.

Of course in-game virtually all the options end up being the basic Good/Evil. The worst example I can think of is a quest where you find a woman trying to escape a slaver.

The Open Palm resolution is to set her free and kill the slaver. There are two Closed Fist solutions:

1. Give her a knife and tell her to kill the slaver and free herself (fits the philosophy perfectly and the only in game example I can think of)

2. Sell her back to the slaver (gives you more Closed Fist points!)

It’s a fine game and all, but it’s such a waste opportunity to set up a nuanced system like that and just waste it.

Of course, selling her back to the slaver creates an opportunity for her to free herself again

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

Syndicate 2012 was good enough for sequels

It's underrated for sure, I think it's one of the better cyberpunk games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bust Rodd posted:

The romances with crew members are also creepy af

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol basically every Bioware romance is creepy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

lol basically every Bioware romance is creepy

I actually think the witcher 1 sex cards are better, they're straight up 'yeah you hosed'

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also from a logistical standpoint, if a shredded gravelly voiced dude saved literally everyone you know from a gryphon and the only thing you know about him is that he’s super strong, magic, can’t get you sick OR EVEN GET YOU PREGNANT and also your entire dating pool is the 8 men in your village who are all related then there’s no reason not to.

The relationship writing in Mass Effect games seemed written by someone who was clearly a virgin who felt the need to double down on “totally knowing how sex goes” and whoops it’s too late now I’m in charge of the sex quests!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Bust Rodd posted:

if a shredded gravelly voiced dude saved literally everyone you know

Sounds like Shepard.

*this isn't really a defense of Mass Effect sex quests, in the sense that I'd call them good writing

doverhog fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 10, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Zombie Driver HD would be a far better game if it played like the GTAIV/V driving game rather than a GTA 1 or 2 driving game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sardonik posted:

The thing about all the races being separated was speculation based on the destruction of the mass relays in all endings, which was a very good point but the extended ending established that they just rebuilt them.

I thought the whole point of the relays was that they couldn't be rebuilt by anybody but the reapers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I actually think the witcher 1 sex cards are better, they're straight up 'yeah you hosed'

Those are actually way worse

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

Those are actually way worse

It's a single picture that briefly fishes on the screen versus excruciatingly long scenes of "tasteful" and "meaningful" depictions of two Barbie dolls loving. the same criticism applies for the Witcher sequels as well

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mass Effect started getting bad and stupid in the second game, the third game just continued the trend downwards. Dealing with ME1 combat is preferable to dealing with all the terrible writing and endless author fapping to cerberus, aria and kai leng.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

It's a single picture that briefly fishes on the screen versus excruciatingly long scenes of "tasteful" and "meaningful" depictions of two Barbie dolls loving. the same criticism applies for the Witcher sequels as well

Nah you still get the barbie doll loving, it's just blurry and in the background behind the card reveal. Meanwhile you can take solace in the fact that you're collecting binders full of women

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Not to extend the mass effect talk, but my main point wasnt very well formulated since i had just beat the game when i posted.

I mostly meant that people who say the ending is bad because it "makes no sense" or "its just some coloured lights" are loving idiots and never played the game

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

Nah you still get the barbie doll loving, it's just blurry and in the background behind the card reveal. Meanwhile you can take solace in the fact that you're collecting binders full of women

I didnt know the witcher was like Pokemon

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 10, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All Bioware games are 100% bad. How's that for an unpopular videogame opinion.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I don't know what you guys are talking about with the bioware romances being cringey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcd9lXqCnw&t=67s

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

at least in the witcher 1 romance success mostly depends on geralt bringing the right wine, flowers or jewelry, just like in real life

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the only kinda decent game romance is in baldur's gate 2, and that's only because it's more story book/bad fantasy novel romance rather than weird pandering gamer romance, where the ultimate goal is to bang and get some 'chievos

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Verisimilidude posted:

the only kinda decent game romance is in baldur's gate 2, and that's only because it's more story book/bad fantasy novel romance rather than weird pandering gamer romance, where the ultimate goal is to bang and get some 'chievos

Because I'm sure the achievements were what people hoped for from Bioware romances

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Because I'm sure the achievements were what people hoped for from Bioware romances

Verisimilidude posted:

where the ultimate goal is to bang and get some 'chievos

I know. I wrote that too!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Romance has no place in video game unless it involves Sonic the Hedgehog.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

what about romance in the literary sense

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

a hole-y ghost posted:

what about romance in the literary sense

Acceptable, but if it isn't a poorly drawn blue shlong penetrating a two tailed fox, it is only barely acceptable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Call me a square, but the Bioware romances always weirded me out because you're essentially playing your party members' boss, so there's that power imbalance. Unprofessional, imo.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mordja posted:

Call me a square, but the Bioware romances always weirded me out because you're essentially playing your party members' boss, so there's that power imbalance. Unprofessional, imo.

They always weirded me out because it makes out like for any other person, there's a correct line you can take and they'll gently caress you. All feels very incelly to me.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ah perfect for the incelly belly diet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

!Klams posted:

They always weirded me out because it makes out like for any other person, there's a correct line you can take and they'll gently caress you. All feels very incelly to me.

When you think about it a date is just a more complicated dialogue tree. Use the correct lines and they'll gently caress you.

Dead space dismemberment quirk should be done in more games.