Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

About 1.5 years ago or so, my company transitioned to "unlimited vacation", the idea being you can take as much time off as you want, as long as no critical business functions are interrupted by your absence.

I found out the other day that the manager of another department put his team on a vacation prohibition, presumably because he/she felt any vacation would interrupt business function. That lockdown is still in place today, so there's an entire team that hasn't had a day off in 1.5 years.

I typically have some trouble getting time off, but once I make my case, the request is granted. I still find it really annoying because vacation used to be something I had earned and no manager could give me any grief over taking time off. Now it's like I have to horse trade with my boss and convince them that the world will still keep spinning if I'm not here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

I feel the opposite way about people who do use keyboard shortcuts when pair programming. I can't tell what they're trying to do when they use shortcuts which is really annoying.

There are utilities which will overlay keyboard shortcuts pressed onto the screen.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

About 1.5 years ago or so, my company transitioned to "unlimited vacation", the idea being you can take as much time off as you want, as long as no critical business functions are interrupted by your absence.

I found out the other day that the manager of another department put his team on a vacation prohibition, presumably because he/she felt any vacation would interrupt business function. That lockdown is still in place today, so there's an entire team that hasn't had a day off in 1.5 years.

I typically have some trouble getting time off, but once I make my case, the request is granted. I still find it really annoying because vacation used to be something I had earned and no manager could give me any grief over taking time off. Now it's like I have to horse trade with my boss and convince them that the world will still keep spinning if I'm not here.

:sever:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

This. Any reasonable management should be able to work around an employee being out for a week or two with some notice. Cynics in our industry hear "unlimited vacation policy" and think "never vacation policy" and here they're right. Sever and shame them on glassdoor.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"Oh, you're worried about your 'critical business functions'?"

*all good devs leave, permanently disrupting critical business functions*

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I've been at this place like 5 years and leaving is starting to sound better and better. The two huge advantages are a 5 minute commute and a very relaxed environment probably 50% of the time. When I first started here, it was relaxed probably 90% of the time and I had a boss that I liked a lot more. Also the dumb vacation stuff was a lot better in the beginning.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shirec posted:

What’s pair programming called when it’s three people?

Crowdsourcing your job

Alternately, crowd computing.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm creating a Selenium framework to test a product that makes heavy use of Dojo. I've had to write so many classes to handle dojo widgets that I'm worried I'm making a monster to fight a monster.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm creating a Selenium framework to test a product that makes heavy use of Dojo. I've had to write so many classes to handle dojo widgets that I'm worried I'm making a monster to fight a monster.

Can't you unit test your JS instead of relying on UI tests? In my experience, trying to do any UI testing more extensive than smoke testing is a recipe for disaster.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Can't you unit test your JS instead of relying on UI tests? In my experience, trying to do any UI testing more extensive than smoke testing is a recipe for disaster.
This framework is a replacement for an older, really bad Selenium framework.

I also don't think that's our team's responsibility? I'm fairly certain the development team is supposed to be doing that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Clanpot Shake posted:

This. Any reasonable management should be able to work around an employee being out for a week or two with some notice. Cynics in our industry hear "unlimited vacation policy" and think "never vacation policy" and here they're right. Sever and shame them on glassdoor.
The company I work for has a reasonable "unlimited at manager's discretion" vacation policy that has thus far not been remotely problematic, but stories like this push me increasingly in favor of minimum vacation a la TravisCI.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Cross posting from BFC but since this is relevant - had a phone interview with a company recently, and their vacation policy is "Unlimited but try to keep it to around 3 weeks." So, three weeks then? Likely scenario is if I take over three weeks I'd start getting not-reprimanded, side-eyed from other employees who toe that line, and dinged on my performance reviews.

Sucks because the work sounds good and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels where I am, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up the perks (all the same or worse than my current place) or the vacation (essentially two weeks more than this new place). I feel like I'd need boat money. It's not going to be a simple math problem this time =/

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Unlimited vacation has always seemed to be about cooking the books and removing the push to take vacations that a stack of accumulated PTO provides. Especially if there were policies about capping/not allowing rollover. Any halfway decent org or manager will still push you to take vacations, but most orgs aren't decent.

But there are is also a significantly uncynical portion of the industry that seems to loving love the idea. When my company switched from 3 declared weeks (+5 sick days) to unlimited people loving clapped. I just gave myself 5 extra float days (on top of the 3 weeks to be reserved for actual vacations plus the sick/mental health days) and track it on a spreadsheet. When I get promoted at end of year I might just decide to give myself an extra week, since I'm worth it. Or start looking for another job if I get passed over.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SardonicTyrant posted:

This framework is a replacement for an older, really bad Selenium framework.

I also don't think that's our team's responsibility? I'm fairly certain the development team is supposed to be doing that.

Knowing nothing about the application, here is my wisdom:
Test things where they need to be tested. If the logic is in the backend, use restassured or something similar to talk to the backend only. If there is a lot of business logic in the frontend, use unit tests there to test the logic first and only write Selenium tests for some integration stuff where you use only the minimum viable input.

Thing is, people have a tendency to write huge testsets that test everything, thus ending up with the Testing Icecream Cone, instead of a nice Test Automation Pyramid.
Ham Vocke wrote some really good things about this, using Spring Boot as an example: https://martinfowler.com/articles/practical-test-pyramid.html
The ebook is a bit dated but contains more code examples: https://www.hamvocke.com/blog/ebook-testing-microservices/

So if you think you are creating a monster, you probably are and if you stop and take a step back, that is probably a good thing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Unlimited vacation means that the employer does not have to pay an employee for unused time off if they are laid off or fired, especially in jurisdictions requiring them to pay for unused time off. It's a cost-cutting measure to gently caress over the employees dressed up in Orwellian language. As a bonus you encourage more brown-nosing and groveling toward managers!

https://hiring.monster.com/hr/hr-best-practices/workforce-management/employee-benefits-management/unlimited-vacation-policies.aspx

quote:

Can flexible vacation policies reduce costs?
In a traditional vacation policy, employees either accrue vacation time throughout the year, or start off the year with a bank of days. If employees leave the company before using their accrued time, they are typically paid for their unused time.

Companies with unlimited vacation policies don’t have to carry any liability on their books for unused time off. This has the potential to save companies $1,898 per employee, according to research from Project:Time Off.

I suspect unlimited vacation is a Uniquely American :911: phenomenon since the US federally requires a minimum of 0 days of paid holiday or vacation while civilized societies like austria require a minimum of 35 days.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

35? drat, I thought it was great here with 20.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

actually it looks like it's 38 days in austria now lol

just for an idea of how insanely hosed the US is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_annual_leave_by_country

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Keetron posted:

35? drat, I thought it was great here with 20.

Austria's 38 is including public holidays, note. The EU legal minimum is 20 vacation days, not including public holidays. Most countries have some of those, Austria apparently has 13 paid public holidays and 25 vacation days.

There are assorted local practices. Sweden similarly has 25 vacations days, plus 9 public holidays which may in principle be unpaid but are in practice always paid for permanent employees. Hourly contract work is a different thing as usual. It's also common for a lot of places to have "squeeze days" where if a public holiday falls on a Tuesday or Thursday then you get Monday or Friday off, respectively.

The US is a huge, weird outlier for this stuff. Afghanistan has stronger labor laws. It can't enforce them worth a drat, but in principle Afghan employees have 20 days of vacation and 15 paid holidays.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
America's strong "the government shouldn't mandate ANYTHING! SMALL GOVERNMENT!" mentality isn't really good for employees, who knew?

Thankfully you have well-organized health care and subsidized college education, am I right?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

comedyblissoption posted:

actually it looks like it's 38 days in austria now lol

just for an idea of how insanely hosed the US is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_annual_leave_by_country

Wait...you have none?! Is it not at least one of those, in practise all the states have their own and it works out ok?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Wait...you have none?! Is it not at least one of those, in practise all the states have their own and it works out ok?

No.

In practice you are 100% at the mercy of your employer/~the whims of the free market~.

Some states might have laws with minimum vacation time but I don't know of any off-hand.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Geez:

Wikipedia posted:

The Netherlands has the second lowest number of public holidays in the world.
It should go noted that if any of the days that are tied to a date such as the 25th of december, is on a weekend, you are SOL.

Ah well, I'll take my nearly free healthcare.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

I suspect unlimited vacation is a Uniquely American :911: phenomenon since the US federally requires a minimum of 0 days of paid holiday or vacation while civilized societies like austria require a minimum of 35 days.
Nah I got it here in Germany too. We call it self-determined vacation days. Though there's a limit, you need to take at least 20 days per year otherwise you're in trouble. Most people end up with around 35 days (not including public holidays)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'm pretty sure canada has a minimum of 2 weeks paid vacation, plus about 13 holidays in a year, plus a minimum of 5 sick/personal days

Unlimited vacation doesn't gently caress with that either - if I don't take any vacation for the year, I'm getting a 2 week lump sum at the end. Luckily my company is less the "complain if you take more than 2 weeks" and more the "hmm where should I go for my second three-week vacation this year?"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I was trying to google anything that revealed what the median worker gets in vacation days at an "Unlimited Vacation" workplace. This is the only thing I could find:
https://blog.namely.com/blog/what-data-reveals-about-unlimited-vacation

quote:

We took a look at all of the personal time off request data for 2016, and then segmented those requests by unlimited versus traditional plans. The results reinforced the concerns of unlimited vacation skeptics: employees with unlimited vacation plans take an average of only 13 days off per year, whereas traditional plan employees average 15 days annually.

The data proves that on average employees with unlimited PTO plans do in fact take less time off than employees with a set amount of vacation days.

Does any "Unlimited Vacation" workplace even advertise the median amount of vacation time their workers receive?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

HEH

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20141106-the-no-vacation-nation

quote:

Though many American companies gift their workers between five and 15 salaried days off per year, a recent study from the US-based Center for Economic and Policy Research found that nearly one in four private-sector workers doesn’t receive any paid vacation time.
An eye-opening survey released by careers website Glassdoor.com in April found that the average American employee who received paid time off last year had used only half of it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/05/heres-how-many-paid-vacation-days-the-typical-american-worker-gets-.html

quote:

Americans used to understand the importance of getting away from the office. From 1976 to 2000, the average working American took off more than 20 days a year. Starting in 2000, workers have been taking fewer days off. In 2015, American worked took an average of just 16 days off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you advertise unlimited vacation I’m taking a minimum of 20 workdays off. In practice, this would probably get me fired, but at least I’d make a stand against the grim specter of capitalism.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagacity posted:

America's strong "the government shouldn't mandate ANYTHING! SMALL GOVERNMENT!" mentality isn't really good for employees, who knew?

Thankfully you have well-organized health care and subsidized college education, am I right?

It's not really good for anyone OP

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

at least one thing i'm liking about the angular cli tooling for .net core is that
a) template comes with both the unit testing with karma and the e2e with protractor working right out of the box, and it's pretty easy to swap in 'real' controllers for the production environment.
b) conforming with angular means that your developers actually have to make components for the UI anyway, so in principle, you should be able to write the UI tests at the angular component level, and you should be able to just write a test controller for hosting the individual components and write component based tests using protractor.

i don't really believe in the external qa-style selenium tests because it feels gross to write tests that have to find your log-in page, click log in, and then manually click a link to test whatever you're writing automated tests - what I like about angular + protractor is that protractor is a wrapper for selenium that understands angular.

a) I can use TestHost (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/test/integration-tests?view=aspnetcore-2.1) and the integration test framework of .net core to make my own authorization middleware that I use for the purpose of the tests - I can make it so it will just bypass the login page and log in as an arbitrary user if i don't care about testing specific users, or log in as a specific user by, say, providing the username/password in the header and having the authorization middleware create an identity. I like this framework because I might want to test with a real database and real data, but don't necessarily want to log in every single time.

b) For pure unit tests, I can unit test angular UI side using karma - with angular cli, it's easy to stub out the api calls because the way it works is if you make an api call, it will be routed to the .net controller if available, if not, the request will be routed to angular, so it's pretty easy to set up fake controllers for the purpose of unit tests. I'm not a super huge fan of the pure unit tests for UI, I'll generally only provide these for documentation.

c) Protractor is pretty good - it's built on top of selenium, but it understands angular directives/models so it's usually less code than pure selenium. i'll generally stub out the authentication layer using the testhost, and run the protractor tests against the version of the project hosted by testhost. Navigation is a lot better because angular guides the devs into making everything components, so generally every individual component will either have a url (or it would be easy to make one).

The cool thing about angular cli for .net core is that it'll just make a working project with all this protractor stuff - you'll have to add like a testhost project, and the authorization middleware is a one line thing.

(I don't actually have a boss or assignments at my job so I've been 'updating my skillset' for like three months now).

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Unlimited vacation means that the employer does not have to pay an employee for unused time off if they are laid off or fired, especially in jurisdictions requiring them to pay for unused time off. It's a cost-cutting measure to gently caress over the employees dressed up in Orwellian language. As a bonus you encourage more brown-nosing and groveling toward managers!

https://hiring.monster.com/hr/hr-best-practices/workforce-management/employee-benefits-management/unlimited-vacation-policies.aspx

Except when they pair it with a policy of a minimum amount of time off per year and other sanity checks to make sure the policy is actually humane. Uncommon, but not exceptionally so.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Yeah, in our case the C-level execs came right out and said "we're doing this because it makes our balance sheet look so much better. We have 10k (or whatever) salaried employees and this translates to millions in savings". At least they didn't bullshit us!

Previously they had allowed stockpiling unused vacation days. So people were just carrying like, 120+ vacation days and never using them, and the company had to keep cash on hand to pay that out. We should have seen the "unlimited" vacation coming, because they kept dropping the limit on how many days you could stockpile, until it became low enough they could afford to pay everyone out and make the transition to "unlimited".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My company gave me two weeks of vacation to start. I normally would have said no to that offer, but I know my manager and so far have taken over a week worth of “mental days” and nobody seems to care.

It also helps that I work from home, so those mental days are “respond if you can on slack if you can.”

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's been hot lately, so I've been wearing shorts for my bike ride in the morning and changing to pants once I cool off. Today is somebody's last day, so there was a gathering in the conference room. My boss asked if I was coming up and I said sure, but I needed to change into my pants first. Boss got all weird about the shorts, even laughingly asking a coworker what they thought about wearing shorts in the office. My boss then said, "Well, there is a dress code." and I reiterated that I had pants, but I just hadn't changed into them yet.

Then I looked in the "Dress Code" section of the employee handbook, which starts, "While the Company does not have a standard dress code…"

I so love unwritten rules, especially the ones that conflict with the written rules!

I heard again this week that company policy is not to allow employees to take partial days off for either vacation or sick leave. This rule is also not in the handbook and the part about sick leave, I'm pretty sure, actually conflicts with California law. Even better!

I don't look forward to the day I try to take two hours of sick time to go to a doctor appointment, which should absolutely be allowed by California law, but will cause a discussion with my boss and probably HR.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bongo Bill posted:

There are utilities which will overlay keyboard shortcuts pressed onto the screen.

Problem solved. Thank you.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Unlimited vacation can go the opposite direction. I've taken around 15 days already this year and am taking the week after next and 1 (but maybe 2) weeks for the holidays.

There's a level of assertiveness that's unfortunately required. No one is going to help you schedule your vacation. You just kinda have to say "I'll be out from X to Y. Talk to Z if you need something while I'm gone."

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

How do you get used to office hours being flexible? I got super anxious today because I’ve been getting in at 9 (I’m generally first) and it feels so alien. Hours policy is “whatever as long as your work is getting done”. I stayed until 5:30 last night cause of the worrry

:psyduck: :psyduck:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

Unlimited vacation can go the opposite direction. I've taken around 15 days already this year and am taking the week after next and 1 (but maybe 2) weeks for the holidays.

There's a level of assertiveness that's unfortunately required. No one is going to help you schedule your vacation. You just kinda have to say "I'll be out from X to Y. Talk to Z if you need something while I'm gone."

I wish it worked that way here. Each manager is free to make whatever process they want, and mine requires her approval to be gone.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think just growing accustom to what your coworkers are doing helps.

My team gets in between 8 and 10:30 and leaves between 4 and who knows I'm not sticking around that late to find out.
I come in between 8:30 and 9:30 depending on how hard it is to get out of bed and work until 5ish (as early as 4ish if I'm just not being productive and need to decompress, 6:30 if I'm in the zone and want to get something done). If I'm going to be later than 10 or so I might send an email letting the team know.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shirec posted:

How do you get used to office hours being flexible? I got super anxious today because I’ve been getting in at 9 (I’m generally first) and it feels so alien. Hours policy is “whatever as long as your work is getting done”. I stayed until 5:30 last night cause of the worrry

I saw another developer come in at 0930 and leave at 1500 and tried my hardest to emulate his example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Shirec posted:

Find out from your manager what criteria are being used to assess your performance, because it doesn't sound like you actually know