Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I think that stand tanking Failed Champion is a bit of an exaggeration for anything but the most broken badge builds, but the point is that so much poo poo is happening in the fight in that unless you are skilled at dodging stuff you probably want to forgo any defensive/healing options, stack up anything that can deal out damage quickly, and try to end the fight as soon as possible.

I find him not bad. Stick to sort of medium range from him (close enough to see him at least) - if he jumps forward, dash under, turn around, and you can get 2-3 hits in (I usually use Quick Slash for this), if he jumps back, get ready to double-jump over the shockwave. And that's largely it. Avoid the falling rocks if you can, but one hit from them is better than taking 2 masks from the Failed Champion. Shade Cloak helps a bunch with the fight too, since your dash under him doesn't have to be as neatly done, and you can dodge through the shockwave if you get caught out by it.

He does have a pretty long break between rounds to heal, but it's hard to get enough soul - Dream Nailing his face when he is down is the best way, so if you have a spare slot for the quick Dream Nail, that can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

argh i broke my fragile flower. can i get another one? is it all over for the grey mourner?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

alf_pogs posted:

argh i broke my fragile flower. can i get another one? is it all over for the grey mourner?

despite her insistence she has an infinite supply of them

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And the dialogue is funny when you go back for another one.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Some of the song titles/songs themselves might be spoilers for Gods & Glory, but Christopher Larkin's Gods & Nightmares album is out on Spotify, and I am so hyped for the content pack. Two weeks!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3qbcMEDN44a6vdxm12FkSM?si=I9OVFApRR2eGfmMPQoDdLw

e: I spell good

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 9, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

Me'hon?!? Another rare and precious thing reduced to wilted stem.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I seem to be stuck in a room full of spiders. I used the dreamblade on the sleeping figure, went inside her head and stabbed her until I popped up and the figure was gone, and I got the black egg losing a mask cutscene, but there doesn't seem to be a way out. All I can find is this giant trilobite-shaped thing hanging from the ceiling in another room. There doesn't seem to be anything in my inventory to denote anything having happened.

And while I'm asking, I feel like there must be a way to look at these achievements I keep getting, but there doesn't seem to be any (I'm playing on the Switch).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Keep exploring the area and you’ll eventually find yourself back in the room with the bench where you started. Leave that room then head up to the top right of the enormous vertical room.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Go left and down from the place where you killed the dreamer to find a bench, the exit is below that.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Welp, I managed to make it through one of the big challenges the game has. The White Palace, never again. I think it's the one place in the game I didn't like. Partly because I don't think Super Meat Boy buzzsaw hell fits and it makes the area seem "artifically gamey" compared to the rest of the areas. Path of Pain (which I'm never touching) gets a pass as a hidden area, buy White Palace doesn't have the feel of other parts to me. That and I sucked at it, so found it a total slog to make it through. I think the second bit is going to throw off my opinon. Seen lots of other posts hating it because of the challenge.

Looking forwards to finishing the game, it's been a hell of a ride and really impressive from such a small team. I think I'll be leaving most of the optional super bosses and other bits untouched as I'm hitting my limit. But certainly be checking to see what Gods and Glory adds, even if it's more bits I can't beat myself.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

And while I'm asking, I feel like there must be a way to look at these achievements I keep getting, but there doesn't seem to be any (I'm playing on the Switch).

They're called "Quests" I think, because the Switch doesn't have a unified achievements system. They're accessible from the title screen of the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the white palace is...

good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think most of the white palace is good and fun, and you can turn down the volume of the buzz saws and listen to the calming music instead, but the wide short hallway of vertical spear traps followed by another wide hallway of horizontal saw traps with no checkpoint in between the two can eat a dick.

Path of Pain though...who cares, if you go into a place named that and complain about it you have problems.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

skasion posted:

Path of Pain though...who cares, if you go into a place named that and complain about it you have problems.

I love the White Palace, but after a while of very little progress with the PoP I pulled up a hitless run of it just to see what was ahead of me. I sat there for the two minutes or so like :catstare: and decided, nah, that's not for me.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DroneRiff posted:

Welp, I managed to make it through one of the big challenges the game has. The White Palace, never again. I think it's the one place in the game I didn't like. Partly because I don't think Super Meat Boy buzzsaw hell fits and it makes the area seem "artifically gamey" compared to the rest of the areas. Path of Pain (which I'm never touching) gets a pass as a hidden area, buy White Palace doesn't have the feel of other parts to me. That and I sucked at it, so found it a total slog to make it through. I think the second bit is going to throw off my opinon. Seen lots of other posts hating it because of the challenge.

Yeah it's really bad and takes way too long. It's like they thought their game was too good and felt they had to add in a boring jumping section to even things out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm sorry that everyone who is Bad At Video Games dislikes the White Palace so much. It's really a shame that you're all so terrible. Very unfortunate for you. :(

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

As someone who is generally very respectful and easy to please, I found the White Palace to be oddly challenging. I don't think it's out of place, but I didn't really have fun going through it, nor do I have any interest in re-exploring the Path of Pain.

I will also say that the Trial of the Fool maybe took me three or four tries, so maybe I'm just really good at fighting compared to platforming.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Really the worst part of the white palace is how long the fade-out takes. If you had meatboy style instant respawns it would be much more pleasant.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Spergatory posted:

I'm sorry that everyone who is Bad At Video Games dislikes the White Palace so much. It's really a shame that you're all so terrible. Very unfortunate for you. :(

it's embarrassing really. they should be in jail

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I think I'm close to the end. I have 1 more dreamer to kill, and the trial of the fool, and I guess the white palace which I have't found yet. Also dream Zote is pretty tough for me. Maybe I suck. Oh and I have 1 more grub to find. I'm excited to see my rewards. What else do I need money for at this point?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I think I'm close to the end. I have 1 more dreamer to kill, and the trial of the fool, and I guess the white palace which I have't found yet. Also dream Zote is pretty tough for me. Maybe I suck. Oh and I have 1 more grub to find. I'm excited to see my rewards. What else do I need money for at this point?

Have you got the Grimm Troupe in town? They can upgrade the three fragile charms into unbreakable versions for a shitton of money, that’s really the main endgame money sink once you’ve bought all the nail/health/soul upgrades and charm notches.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I recommend doing the greed one first, since it's the cheapest and will help you afford the other two, instead of last, like I did.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

skasion posted:

Have you got the Grimm Troupe in town? They can upgrade the three fragile charms into unbreakable versions for a shitton of money, that’s really the main endgame money sink once you’ve bought all the nail/health/soul upgrades and charm notches.

How do you get them?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

b_d posted:

I recommend doing the greed one first, since it's the cheapest and will help you afford the other two, instead of last, like I did.

I recommend doing the greed one never because you'd need to die and repair it a ridiculous amount of times to even break even.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RC Cola posted:

How do you get them?

In Howling Cliffs behind a breakable wall a little up the right side of the big open space, you’ll find a big dead bug in a big red hood. Dreamnail it, go back a room (there should be a torch lit here that wasn’t before), and beat up the torch until carnival music plays. Then head back to Dirtmouth and they’ll be there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

I recommend doing the greed one never because you'd need to die and repair it a ridiculous amount of times to even break even.

there's literally nothing to spend your money on beyond a certain point though. if you have the money you might as well spend it

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The only reason I got unbreakable greed is because I found out Divine was holding my final 1% completion hostage in her stomach.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you don't care about completion %, I just did it to the Strength one because I didn't have the need or the charm notches to use more than that with the other ones I wanted to use.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

morcant posted:

Some of the song titles/songs themselves might be spoilers for Gods & Glory, but Christopher Larkin's Gods & Nightmares album is out on Spotify, and I am so hyped for the content pack. Two weeks!

The redone Hornet's Theme and Mantis Lords' Theme are both very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5_nMrARi-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxgEsS8ogM

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

guppy posted:

If you don't care about completion %, I just did it to the Strength one because I didn't have the need or the charm notches to use more than that with the other ones I wanted to use.

It doesn't add any %, but each charm you own gives 1% and if you give her a charm it removes that 1% until you get it back.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Knorth posted:

The redone Hornet's Theme and Mantis Lords' Theme are both very good

Hell yes they are. I heard the Hornet one a bit in the preview video, but I saw "Sisters of Battle" on the tracklist, went :confused: and then when I listened to it I was more like :neckbeard:

I loving love the Mantis Lords fight and cannot wait for this.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Welp. White palace is fun.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

morcant posted:

Oh hell yeah Grim Troupe is sooooooo good

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hollow Knight is my favorite game

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Over There posted:

Not an emptyquote

e:

Over There posted:

Oh hell yeah Grim Troupe is sooooooo good

For real, I had it on repeat most of my work day yesterday, I love that track and want to fight Grimm again real bad.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Over There posted:

hell yeah

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm at Radiance. this fucker is tough. Any advice?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Practice dodging her moves. Don't worry about damaging her, just try to learn how to avoid poo poo. Once you are used to not getting hit, then start trying to get your own hits in.

She's also vulnerable to the upwards spell, especially if you've upgraded it.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Practice dodging her moves. Don't worry about damaging her, just try to learn how to avoid poo poo. Once you are used to not getting hit, then start trying to get your own hits in.

The last time this advice was given it's like a light went off in my head, and once I started looking at the game that way I blew through dream fights I'd never beaten before, and can now reliably get to the Radiance as well. I think it's also why I'm enjoying Dead Cells at the moment, too.

tl;dr Hollow Knight and the Hollow Knight thread are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:lol: blew through the white palace in about a half hour. From reading this thread I was expecting it to be brutal. There were like 3 or 4 tricky parts and the rest was cake.