Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just make women's wrestling programs. God. You already have the freakin' equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

CommonShore posted:

Just make women's wrestling programs. God. You already have the freakin' equipment.
That would be my answer frankly. There are more women wrestling now and a lot of great female wrestlers. But its not wrestling itself or women's sports that is the problem. Some schools try to offset their big money male sports not by creating more opportunities for women but by offloading the burden onto non revenue sports.

This offloading onto non revenue mens sports explains s why there are 133 men's D1 swimming and diving teams but 195 D1 women's teams. For tennis, D1 men 255 and women 317. Cross country men 316 women 346. Soccer 204 vs 333. It seeks pretty obvious that college implementation of the proportionality rule has been geared to protect football.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 8, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nestharken posted:

There's one for wrestling too; it's called BJJ.

BJJ is no match for a real street fighter like me though.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

CommonShore posted:

That's on its way. There already a few dozen collegiate women's wrestling programs, although none recognized by the NCAA. What's weird is that at the high school level, many states don't separate out men and women wrestlers.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

edit - im dumb and didn't read the thread

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

That's on its way. There already a few dozen collegiate women's wrestling programs, although none recognized by the NCAA. What's weird is that at the high school level, many states don't separate out men and women wrestlers.

A small high school may not have enough girls for a seperate team. I mean it would be great if there were just as many interested girls as boys but I don't think we're there yet. Also simplifies life for trans wrestlers.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Okay Judo is actually a ton of fun.

I either picked the best time or the worst time because all the other beginners were on holiday. The 6 others that were there were all 1st Dan, 2nd Dan 3 time championship winners. But yeah, no. Tons of fun. Definitely going back next week.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I just started a new job at a university, and there's an athletic centre a 5 minute walk away, and they have judo practice a couple of days a week that starts exactly when I finish work. It is the will of the gods

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It is the will of the gods

Hail Satan

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Is it just me or is it really loving weird that it seems like in the US wrestling is a thing through high school, and then unless you're good enough to get a scholarship and compete on a college team, just stops being a thing?

I don't know about now but in the 80's and 90's there wasn't much funding for post-collegiate, Olympic level wrestling. Mark Schultz's book, Foxcatcher, goes into a lot of detail about it. Many wrestlers were sponsored by John du Pont and team Foxcatcher as a result, including Dave Schultz. :smith:

ESPN did a fantastic 30 for 30 on the subject too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ZMjX9BFRs

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

spacetoaster posted:

BJJ is no match for a real street fighter like me though.

I wouldn't let anyone ever take me down. Thats my defense, I'm too mentally strong.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loXqgWXSUUI

This is refreshingly honest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This should be in the OP

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I recommend watching the original video, and the follow-up he did ~ a year later. They're a bit less, click baity maybe, though its only in this one he seems to have given up on practicing aikido altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUXTC8g_pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3IwxR2Ar-I

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I appreciate the progression, but the biggest lesson for beginners is that it basically looks like the guy doesn't know how to fight well... because he doesn't know how to fight well.
He tries some stuff and clearly has the basics, but nothing that looks that different or anything like aikido.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
That looks just like Aikido to me, in that it's really stupid looking

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But enough about your posting.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Is this an appropriate place to ask for advice on improvement?

Two big things I noticed on my first Judo session was firstly, I was either doing the hand movements or doing the leg movements, but not both at the same time, and secondly, I was taught and managed to practice two different throws, and one of them was a leg sweep throw. I could only manage to keep myself from falling over half the time when performing it; I just don't have the balance for it.

So, I can't practice my falls since I don't have a crash mat, and I really can't pratice any throws since, not only have I only done it once so I'd likely do it incorrectly unsupervised, there's also no one to practice with. Is there, however, ways or means for me to practice my coordination and balance?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Count Roland posted:

I recommend watching the original video, and the follow-up he did ~ a year later. They're a bit less, click baity maybe, though its only in this one he seems to have given up on practicing aikido altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUXTC8g_pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3IwxR2Ar-I

This makes me wonder what context a lot of these aikido moves are supposed to be applied. They don't seem to work well against an opponent who is boxing, but perhaps they would work better against someone who was wielding a weapon?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

This makes me wonder what context a lot of these aikido moves are supposed to be applied. They don't seem to work well against an opponent who is boxing, but perhaps they would work better against someone who was wielding a weapon?

They just don't really work well.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Verisimilidude posted:

On what planet does someone think, ah, this guys swinging fists at me, I know what I need to do, give them a weapon to swing at me alongside their fists and now my martial art will suddenly work!

Aikido doesn't work, it's never worked, it's poo poo. Its ballet for people who want to fight but don't actually want to do anything that involves fighting and allows them the fake idea that their pretend woo woo shite will help them in a physical confrontation as if they have super kung fu powers. gently caress Steven Seagal the dude out weighs me by over 100lbs and I would gently caress him up in one 5 minute round. gently caress Aikido.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The basic introductory versions of aikido moves always start from grips at the wrists, then the arms and the lapels, then karate chops, straight punches and front kicks. Generally you want both of your hands on one of their arms and position such that they can't just jab you on the nose. Then you just do a judo move from there.

None of the moves ever look like judo moves because people who do aikido usually don't actually practice grappling or striking, they just rehearse ~technique~.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

By the time Aikido was created swords had been obsolete for hundreds of years

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Thats what I really dont understand. A lot of comments Ive seen go "this fighter used an aikido move or concept" which makes no sense to me considering Kanos Judo was published a year before the founder of Aikido was even born.

Edit: What Im saying is that Aikido brings meditiation to grapplimg martial arts and thats cool, but its concepts arent particularly original or noteworth imo

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 10, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The guys who really drink the kool-aid on this stuff will insist that the Aikido technique is a recovered version from some ancient ryu and thus the true, real one, because history is a process of decline from a perfect moment in the past where some anime guy had divine inspiration about how to wrist lock someone.

My favourite part of the "why mma people dislike aikido..." vid is that he stops just short of saying "it's because so many aikido people of delusional assholes." He walks right up to it. He even looks at it - but he doesn't say it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OscarDiggs posted:

Two big things I noticed on my first Judo session was firstly, I was either doing the hand movements or doing the leg movements, but not both at the same time, and secondly, I was taught and managed to practice two different throws, and one of them was a leg sweep throw. I could only manage to keep myself from falling over half the time when performing it; I just don't have the balance for it.

So, I can't practice my falls since I don't have a crash mat, and I really can't pratice any throws since, not only have I only done it once so I'd likely do it incorrectly unsupervised, there's also no one to practice with. Is there, however, ways or means for me to practice my coordination and balance?

If that was your first class, just keep going, pay attention, and ask questions. Not everyone is some freak natural athlete, so don't worry if you come up short learning techniques for the first time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Even if the techniques were valid (and they mostly look like they are not) since they're never practiced with resistance, or used in sparring, or used in competition, there is no way to actually apply these techniques.

Apparently back in the day aikido was taught to people that already had judo or karate black belts, and that it was meant as a sort of supplement. I don't know how true that is.

In this vein is Roy Dean, black belt in BJJ, judo and aikido. He made popular instructional videos back when I did most of my training. He likes to talk about aikido but it mostly comes out in his frequent use of wrist locks in BJJ. Anyone interested may want to check him out.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

OscarDiggs posted:

Keep working and temper your expectations. The movements of judo are complex and unfamiliar. Add in a resisting opponent and they might even seem impossible. You've got to build muscle memory and the only way to do it is repetition. I always tell new students to do a technique a thousand times and they'll be "ok" at it.

You can start building up those repetitions with solo uchikomi using resistance bands. I'm sure there's instructions on YouTube, but basically secure one end of the band to a doorknob or tree or post or something. Hold the other end in your left hand, or both hands, and practice your (mainly front-throw) entries. The band does a decent job mimicking the feel of a resisting opponent. You can up the realism by putting a pair of shoes where your opponents feet would be, then work on placing your feet relative to them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love learning more about the crazy things related to people involved with Aikido. Namely Steven Seagal and his delusional insanity.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

:colbert:

Mekchu posted:

I love learning more about the crazy things related to people involved with Aikido. Namely Steven Seagal and his delusional insanity.

Excuse me, The Way Of The Shadow Wolves: The Deep State And The Hijacking Of America is the high point of contemporary American literature.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had to look up that book to see if it was real and was gleefully rewarded.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Thanks to both of you. I'll have a look on Youtube for some instructions today.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The part of the video where it compared Aikido's reputation to Kendo and others was a good point - people generally don't poo poo on Kendo people because they work hard and don't talk poo poo online, and lots of Aikido folks are literally just posters.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

OscarDiggs posted:

For practicing your falls, you can do them starting lower on the ground and you shouldn't need a crash mat. For forward rolls, start out on your knees. For back falls, start in a squatting position. For side falls lower yourself slowly to the ground, or start on the ground and just alternate sides while slapping the floor at the right time. As long as you know the basics from your class, you should be able to do these safely on grass or carpet. Try to focus on ending in the correct position as well as rolling straight for your forward rolls. Just uhh, make sure you have enough clearance so you won't hit any furniture.

I'm still a beginner too, and getting your hands and feet coordinated is definitely one of the hardest parts of judo. For me, one of the things that helps is to recognize that when you're learning a throw, you want to learn what your hands are doing and what your feet are doing--but when you're actually doing the throw, you aren't controlling your hands and feet separately. Your body should be moving fluidly together. Like if you're revving up a lawn mower, just yanking with your arm requires a lot of effort. But if you step back with your feet and pull with your whole body, you generate a lot more power. You want to be able to use your whole body's momentum when you throw, not just your arms and legs in an isolated manner. Once you get the individual movements down in terms of where your hands and feet are supposed to go, you want to work on synchronizing them so that your whole body is moving with the throw.

If you want to work on your balance, something like yoga might help. Practicing tree pose and the warrior poses might be helpful, because they're good for conditioning your legs and for improving your balance.

Judo is pretty awesome! There will get to be a point in not too long where you throw a single really clean throw out of nowhere and you'll get hooked wanting to make it happen again :D

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Gotta admit, Yogo is something I didn't consider. I'll look into it. Thanks!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

hi liter posted:

The part of the video where it compared Aikido's reputation to Kendo and others was a good point - people generally don't poo poo on Kendo people because they work hard and don't talk poo poo online, and lots of Aikido folks are literally just posters.

Oh kendo people will talk plenty of poo poo...at least 'beginners'. It's just that it will mostly be confined to other sword arts.
Kendo is also far too stylized, so that anyone with a reasonable amount of experience will realize that it not a 'realistic' representation of combat with a sword.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

The impression I've always gotten is that Aikido's moves in many places are super-stylized and exaggerated versions of what a Judo practicioner of the day might use against an armed opponent. For the most part, all of the early masters in Aikido were competent fighters in other disciplines, so they could make that stilted formality work based on their other fundamentals. Modern Aikido is just cargo-cult.

hi liter posted:

Most kendo practicioners are able to acknowledge that what they do is a fighting sport and not ancient wisdom as well. The art being regulated, trained, and competed in as a sport internationally will do that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Most kendo practicioners are able to acknowledge that what they do is a fighting sport and not ancient wisdom as well. The art being regulated, trained, and competed in as a sport internationally will do that.

I disagree. It's a martial art that has a sports component. As an example, the majority don't want it to become an Olympic sport (Which is highly unlikely in the first place, but anyways), as most think it would ruin the art.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Everyone I know who is really into aikido thinks they are some sort of dragon slayer demigod. Except for the one who does jiu jitsu too, he's pretty cool and down to earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Everyone I know who is really into aikido thinks they are some sort of dragon slayer demigod. Except for the one who does jiu jitsu too, he's pretty cool and down to earth.

great point, all the guys I know that did aikido and crosstrained were all really nice and a net positive on the gym environment.