Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

AOC's also avoided getting tangled up in culture war/dog whistle topics so far - her message has been sticking to largely economic issues where it's harder to paint her as the MY GUNS AND GAY ABORTIONS Boogeyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
She's also said she won't vote for Pelosi as speaker, so they can't use that as a boogeyman either.

It's a shame that republicans don't believe in evolution, because this is evolution in action. The antibiotic resistant tuberculosis of leftist politics, brought about because of such a hostile environment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pelosi really needs to just step aside for the good of the party at this point.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

Along w Feinstein

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
While I don't necessarily want term limits (it'll never pass anyway) there's a lot to be said about how many old fuckers there are in congress. Like 80 years should be the cutoff, meaning 74 for the Senate and 78 for the house. Not that it would have mattered since it's Orrin-loving-Hatch, but when he downplayed some economic thing (I forgot what, it was like 4 months ago / 80 years in TRUMP dimension) by saying he worked as a janitor to pay for law school I wanted to scream. Yes yes he would have just said something else. So many tech related things are failing to be properly regulated because three quarters of congress were adults before the invention of the goddamn transistor. We don't have to go all Logan's Run on things, but there needs to be way less people making decisions that have considerable impact on the future when they won't even be alive to see it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Yup, that will stop the Republicans from tarring Democratic candidates with a boogeyman. And it sure won't be giving in to right wingers and removing a strong, experienced female leader.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

It doesn't really matter though, whoever takes her place will be slotted into the same ads. Its the messaging machine, not the message thats the issue.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

For real, Pelosi despite all her faults, was an incredibly effective speaker. Why the gently caress else do you think the GOP constantly uses her as a bogeyman?

You can certainly make the argument now that if/when the dems regain the majority, she should let someone else be speaker, but stop pretending that if she steps aside or whatever, republicans won't find another bogeyman.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Pelosi needs to step aside because she represents one of the richest congressional districts in the country, has lovely opinions, and has failed to adapt to the changes in the country. She's a lovely centrist obsessed with decorum, just like Schumer. She is most assuredly a good speaker in the sense that she can control the caucus and such.

I say this as a former lovely centrist democrat that was forced to evolve my views in light of the last two years.

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Then primary her from the left

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just as soon as we pass campaign finance laws that have actual teeth and overturn Citizens United.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

It doesn't really matter though, whoever takes her place will be slotted into the same ads. Its the messaging machine, not the message thats the issue.

I dunno, at this point they're so far up their own assholes with "deep state" paranoia I can see them just keep right on trucking with the exact same stuff. "We defeated the great Satan but now things are more dangerous than ever" cult logic.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Pelosi needs to step aside because she represents one of the richest congressional districts in the country, has lovely opinions, and has failed to adapt to the changes in the country. She's a lovely centrist obsessed with decorum, just like Schumer. She is most assuredly a good speaker in the sense that she can control the caucus and such.

This.

hobbesmaster posted:

Then primary her from the left

That's placing the onus on a single district. The speaker of the house represents the entirety of the house of representatives, so they should be elected by the entire body of the house of representatives. Same goes with the minority and majority leader. In other words, it's on Dems to replace her, not Pelosi's district.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 10, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pelosi and Schumer represent everything wrong with the Democrats but hey I guess that's ok because they uh okay nevermind they're poo poo op

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

I say this as a former lovely centrist democrat that was forced to evolve my views in light of the last two years.

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Which is literally the job of the speaker of the House. Ideological purity is not the job of the Speaker of the House which is why Paul Ryan is so bad at it. He's a Randroid dream come true, but he can't control his own caucus so he was a bad choice for the Republicans.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So, question. Why is Pelosi so wrong? I read the Wikipedia page on her views and voting record, and nothing seems wrong with it. She was against the war in Iraq and generally anti-war, pro federal minimum wage act, pro abortion, pro civil rights for lgbtq, pro weed and instrumental in getting the ACA passed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is literally the job of the speaker of the House. Ideological purity is not the job of the Speaker of the House which is why Paul Ryan is so bad at it. He's a Randroid dream come true, but he can't control his own caucus so he was a bad choice for the Republicans.

Yep.

Also again, Pelosi was fine with getting the public option into the house bill, it was only pulled out because Liberman is a turd and wouldn't let the senate vote on that version.

For real, I get that if you want to argue that maybe Dems shouldn't elect her as speaker if she's still in her seat the next time they gain a majority, that's fine, but pretending that her leaving office or not being speaker suddenly solves the problem with GOP messaging is pants on the head retarded. You guys know they just find something else to harp about.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dance Officer posted:

So, question. Why is Pelosi so wrong? I read the Wikipedia page on her views and voting record, and nothing seems wrong with it. She was against the war in Iraq and generally anti-war, pro federal minimum wage act, pro abortion, pro civil rights for lgbtq, pro weed and instrumental in getting the ACA passed.

She’s an old broad.

Very threatening to virile masculinity.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dance Officer posted:

She said something to the effect of "we're capitalists, deal with it."

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure she, schumer, and a bunch of other party elders are craven and power-seeking enough to latch onto a leftward trend if it looked enough like that was the winning side.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FAUXTON posted:

She said something to the effect of "we're capitalists, deal with it."

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure she, schumer, and a bunch of other party elders are craven and power-seeking enough to latch onto a leftward trend if it looked enough like that was the winning side.

They will if they get enough donations from not from not big corporations they will otherwise they will still support wall st/silicon valley

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

There was also the thing recently with Maxine Waters where Pelosi thought it was just horrific that politicians would be politely asked to leave a restaurant for aggressively defending concentration camps.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/smotus/status/1027888880450785282?s=20

Pelosi isn’t well liked but she’s still more popular than the turtle man.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The thing about Pelosi is... who would replace her? Being speaker requires the ability to twist and cajole people into voting for things they don't necessarily want to vote for, utilizing both personal and professional relationships. The reason why Pelosi is so effective is because she's been there for so long, and has the relationships, experience, and force of personality to control her caucus with an iron fist.

And the thing is, she'll defer to the President. If the Dems win the House and Presidency in 2020, it doesn't matter what she personally believes-whatever policies the president decides to implement, she'll whip her caucus to vote for it. She may not personally agree with or have proposed policies like Medicare for All or abolishing ICE, but she's not going to refuse to allow those bills to see the floor. They'll get voted on, and she'll support them and stump for them, because that's her job as Speaker of the House-and it's a job she was drat good at.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/smotus/status/1027888880450785282?s=20

Pelosi isn’t well liked but she’s still more popular than the turtle man.

Turtle man gets results

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Turtle man gets results

As did Pelosi, Reid, and Boehner.

Ryan has issues getting poo poo done, and it's not because Democratic voters can't stand him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I propose the Skeletor index: we put your congressional headshot through facial matching software with a picture of Skeletor. If they match, you have to retire.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

As did Pelosi, Reid, and Boehner.

Ryan has issues getting poo poo done, and it's not because Democratic voters can't stand him.

FTFY. Boehner had the same problem as Ryan has now, he was just more vocal/out there about it. He was also the first to have to deal with the Freedom Caucus non-sense.

Pelosi is an effective leader which means she makes compromises and is always keeping her entire caucus in mind when she speaks publicly. Usually, that translates to providing cover for vulnerable Democrats which frustrates the base (gently caress squishy Democrats). It's also meant she's had to be led by the base more towards the left at times, which yeah, more frustrating.

And on top of all that, there's a real lack of grooming (or appearing to) the next generation of young leaders in Congress/the Party which further contributes to an (fairly or unfairly) image of holding onto power past her perceived prime.

She still presided over one of the most productive Congresses in modern memory AND has kept the Democrats in nearly complete lock step in opposition to Republicans. And that's in addition to her being an extremely effective and enormous fundraiser for other Democrats behind the scenes (which is where her real power in the caucus comes from).

I think she's still the one we'd probably want leading a Democratic majority but it'd go along way to see her address the above issues (give public voice and take direction from the Democratic base and bring the next generation along in leadership).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-judge-deportation-attorney-general-sessions-contempt-1.4780391

CBC posted:

The Department of Homeland Security was bringing the pair back to the United States on Thursday after the plane landed in El Salvador. The mother and daughter did not disembark in the Central American country.

:wtc: is this real life?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Turkey's economy is competing with Argentina's for the title of most unstable economy in a developed country. The currency dropped 20% today after Trump went issued another decree by tweet increasing the tariffs against Turkish steel and aluminum. And Erdogan's dumb spending spree and fiscal policy isn't helping matters, either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/business/turkey-erdogan-economy-lira.html

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Turkey's economy is competing with Argentina's for the title of most unstable economy in a developed country. The currency dropped 20% today after Trump went issued another decree by tweet increasing the tariffs against Turkish steel and aluminum. And Erdogan's dumb spending spree and fiscal policy isn't helping matters, either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/business/turkey-erdogan-economy-lira.html

Our stable allies!

One of you law talkers want to tell me what this means?
https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1027940357064065025

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gonna laugh if turkey expels all military over us cratering their economy

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Good thing we sold Turkey F-35s.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Our stable allies!

One of you law talkers want to tell me what this means?
https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1027940357064065025

Mueller had recently requested that part of the trial remain closed and in secret so as to not publicly disclose evidence that he'd rather not make public at this time (related to a future indictment possibly).

My guess it's in relation to that, but I'll wait for Popehat's take.

EDIT: :haw:
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1027944199050514432

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Also in the news, the Taliban are about to capture Ghazni.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/...WT.nav=top-news

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/devlinbarrett/status/1027943155033931776?s=21

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
4 people shot dead in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Two were police and they captured the suspect I think, but he might be in critical condition?

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1027910545842872320?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Oh hey Omorosa's book talks about Trump dropping the n-word repeatedly during Apprentice tapings

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
In lesser known primaries around the country, Republicans of Clay County Missouri (northern KC metro area) nominated this guy:

quote:

On his Monday morning radio show, Steve West promotes fanatical conspiracies about “Jewish cabals” that are “harvesting baby parts” through Planned Parenthood, that torture and molest children and that run the Republican Party.

On Tuesday he won the Republican primary for a Clay County seat in the Missouri House by nearly 25 points.

“Looking back in history, unfortunately, Hitler was right about what was taking place in Germany. And who was behind it,” West said on a show on KCXL radio on Jan. 23, 2017.

Four way primary race and he won easily.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Sheriff Joe sure has weird ideas about golden showers and handjobs.

https://twitter.com/alweaver22/status/1027955948164399105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:shuckyes:

• Locked thread