Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

But not as hard as Whitebeard hit Akainu :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Not hard enough.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bleck posted:

gently caress! gently caress we're on break this week!! gently caress!!!

Really didn't need this bullshit today. :eng99:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Golden Week comes 12 times a year :negative:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This week is WSJ itself on break. Two weeks ago was One Piece specifically.

...If anything that makes it worse, really. :sigh:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

this prob one of my Top 10 Manga Panels Of All Time honestly

Don't forget

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bleck posted:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bleck posted:

also where's that pic of the slave being like "ONE PIECE IS ON BREAK, JUST KILL ME!!"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
From Sabody 1.0 to Punk Hazzard still feels like the weirdest gap in One Piece to me. The Ace rescue arc felt like every character there was going through the motions at best except Akainu, Whitebead, Hancock, and Luffy. Everyone's strength were so loving random and bizarre. There were definitely characters that should have had more intense fights, especially people who were considered major players in the crew belonging to the strongest human in the world or the highest level marines.

Then again almost all of White Beard's crew were singly handedly defeated off-panel by Weevil so maybe there could have just been a huge gap in power between even Katakuri and Marco but White Beard was legitimately the single strongest entity for the longest time that nobody just wanted to upset him.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ryaomon posted:

Better in the English dub: Brook, Usopp, Nami
No opinion: Luffy, Sanji, Chopper, Robin
Better in Japanese: Zoro, Franky (both are fine in English but Franky was designed specifically for Yao's voice and Zoro is just like a samurai)

What does a samurai sound like

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Expect My Mom posted:

this prob one of my Top 10 Manga Panels Of All Time honestly

that and Whitebeard saying all he wanted was a family hit me hard

Uniqlo are currently selling that panel on a T-shirt.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Terror Sweat posted:

What does a samurai sound like

Zolo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RealFoxy posted:

From Sabody 1.0 to Punk Hazzard still feels like the weirdest gap in One Piece to me. The Ace rescue arc felt like every character there was going through the motions at best except Akainu, Whitebead, Hancock, and Luffy. Everyone's strength were so loving random and bizarre. There were definitely characters that should have had more intense fights, especially people who were considered major players in the crew belonging to the strongest human in the world or the highest level marines.

Then again almost all of White Beard's crew were singly handedly defeated off-panel by Weevil so maybe there could have just been a huge gap in power between even Katakuri and Marco but White Beard was legitimately the single strongest entity for the longest time that nobody just wanted to upset him.
At first I didn't really agree with this but then I remembered there was a guy who could turn into a giant golden buddha and he does it for like ten seconds twice

I dunno maybe it was a combination of reading it all at once and I can sort of imagine other fights going on but it felt like whenever I was feeling like I hadn't seen a character in a while, they would show up in a big moment, Like everyone jumping in front of Mihawk to keep him off Luffy or Buggy being in the right place where he's forced to help. Throw in Blackbeard showing up and I felt sold that there was so much going on that even a guy who could kick at the speed of light couldn't clean this up no problem. Add in surprising scenes of Akoiji having a tough time with guys like Joz and reveals that Kuma has lost his humanity and was once a Revolutionary or Coby and Helmeppo freaking out, and the pacing really worked for me

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I agree that power levels for Impel Down and Marineford were somewhat inconsistent, but I think most of it can be explained.

Luffy was performing above par, not just because of the regular strength that comes from desperation, but also because his desperation was intermittently unlocking his Haki for short bursts, and because of Ivankov’s doping. Also note that Luffy’s powers are oriented towards surviving non-cutting attacks; he took a lot of hits from people way above him, but he didn’t do much damage to people way above him.

Doflamingo, Mihawk, and Kizaru seemed to be going through the motions because they were. Mihawk just didn’t care, Doflamingo was probably OK with the WG being weakened as long as it wasn’t outright overthrown immediately, and Kizaru seems to be basically incapable of taking things seriously.

Crocodile got back in shape while in Impel Down. He probably restored himself to the level he was at before Whitebeard crushed his confidence.

Jozu and Vista are probably weaker than Marco by a fairly small but clear margin, and Marco is strong enough to stall an Admiral for quite a while but not strong enough to win against one. The gap between Jozu/Vista and Ace is somewhat larger, and the power level of Whitebeard division commanders probably drops off steeply after that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everyone was treating it mostly as a game right up until the actual critical bit of the marines plan being put into action. i don't really have a problem with all 3 admirals being individually stronger than every captain of whitebeards fleet and they were very effective at neutralising whitebeard himself

would love another flashback chapter of whitebeard in his prime fighting someone though

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jose posted:

everyone was treating it mostly as a game right up until the actual critical bit of the marines plan being put into action. i don't really have a problem with all 3 admirals being individually stronger than every captain of whitebeards fleet and they were very effective at neutralising whitebeard himself

would love another flashback chapter of whitebeard in his prime fighting someone though

The marines were slow-rolling their assault because sengoku's background plans were still being enacted. (squardo, the ice platform to trap ships, and one more plan i think the early execution) when all of those failed and the direct assault began that's what made the marines stop messing around.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wasnt a huge point of the arc to basically end the pirate era and, by extension, be a complete show of power with limited casualties on the marine side

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Except shanks and Blackbeard hosed that up

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jose posted:

Mostly this. the marines were trying to get a big sweeping victory taking out the biggest pirate on the sea to show their dominance. then luffy shows up the poo poo on impel down happens and all of their well thought out plans are ruined.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jose posted:

and whitebeard himself specifically invokes roger's words with his dying breath

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Love this opening. They should put it in the show more often We Go! Is also a really good one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

and whitebeard himself specifically invokes roger's words with his dying breath

I really want to see him fight at his peak and sengoku fight and Kong fight. gently caress

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sub Harrison posted:

Love this opening. They should put it in the show more often We Go! Is also a really good one.

1 2 3shine 4, WE 5!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jose posted:

I really want to see him fight at his peak and sengoku fight and Kong fight. gently caress

I want to finally see a flashback of Roger fighting.

At least we got the pay-off glimpse of Garp using Haki back in the Dressrosa arc.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Roger and Whitebeard might've battled a few times back in the day that's be pretty wicked to see a flashback to

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I feel like there is almost certainly gonna be an extended 40-years-ago flashback when we got to the bottom of the Rox mystery, could be a convenient way to explain the backstories of so many characters in one swoop kinda like the Fisher Tiger story did during Fishman Island

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh I have no doubt that whatever happened during the Void Century is extremely damning to the WG as otherwise they wouldn't have gone to such lengths to prevent people from interpreting the poneglyphs. Once it's revealed I expect almost an entire mini-arc devoted to covering it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I keep trying to guess what could have happened beyong "horrible weapons, maybe nuke metaphors, being used to subjugate the world" but I know I can't nearly guess how dramatic Oda will make it

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Maybe whatever they did flooded the world

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

One Piece: Void Century is going to be an entire 20-year spinoff manga entirely in flashbacks in the middle of the final arc.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nighthand posted:

One Piece: Void Century is going to be an entire 20-year spinoff manga entirely in flashbacks in the middle of the final arc.

One chapter per year.

Runs for 100 years.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

yeah, i've been thinking that the current physical structure of the world is manmade somehow

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Larryb posted:

Oh I have no doubt that whatever happened during the Void Century is extremely damning to the WG as otherwise they wouldn't have gone to such lengths to prevent people from interpreting the poneglyphs. Once it's revealed I expect almost an entire mini-arc devoted to covering it.

The world government is already known to be absolutely and unrepentantly monstrous but have so much military power it doesn't matter what people think about them so I'm wondering what they don't want people to know. The One Piece world is a horrible fascist nightmare where the further in the boonies and away from the government you are the better as long as you aren't targeted by some random pirates.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 13, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

This seems most plausible since they recently talked about wiping everyone out or whatever and flood myths like Noah at some of the oldest

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
raftel is where they buried all the copies of the communist manifesto

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thread it's with a heavy heart that my brain has entertained the idea of buying the physical volumes and I need to be put down before this idea congeals

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I definitely recommend picking up a few of your favourite volumes physically. Some pages (especially spreads) have an entirely different feel on a page vs. on a phone/monitor. It’s worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Radish posted:

The world government is already known to be absolutely and unrepentantly monstrous but have so much military power it doesn't matter what people think about them so I'm wondering what they don't want people to know. The One Piece world is a horrible fascist nightmare where the further in the boonies and away from the government you are the better as long as you aren't targeted by some random pirates.

To the point where they essentially wiped out an entire island just for trying to research said lost age. Hell, there are several world leaders in the series that would agree that Luffy and the Straw Hats have done more good for them in the span of a few days than the WG has in years (in fact, the government actually created a fair number of those problems).

It's going to be interesting to see what happens once everything is out in the open (I'm guessing a full scale war that would put Marineford to shame where a good chunk of the world rallies around the new Pirate King against the WG).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 13, 2018