Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

So I ran 3 frigate expeditions last night and the amount of money you make doesn't make sense to me.

- The first one I did was a balanced 1 star mission that needed 3.5 hours to complete and made me 1.1mil in units plus about 500k in random materials.
- The second mission was a balanced 2 star that needed 1.5 hours to complete and made me 100k units plus about 300k in random materials.
- The third mission was a combat 2 star that needed 1 hour to complete and made me 60k plus about 200k in random materials.

I thought the increased difficulty would make me more money but based off my first few expeditions time and distance is the big factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Pre-NEXT I had some phase bean upgrade that would virtually one-shot enemy ships. Does that still happen?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 10, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The game kept offering me S rank upgrades for the Cyclotron Ballista so I went with that as the main weapon on my fighter. It's similar to the rocket launcher with less damage per shot but you can pop off a good ten or so shots before it overheats, so a miss isn't nearly as bad. It rips through enemy ships pretty fast when they are flying straight at your for their attack runs.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Entirely too late since egg spawns are nerfed, but apparently all you had to do to grab eggs without jetpacking or building poo poo was to stand on one because the AI would ignore you.

https://gfycat.com/ifr/HauntingEarlyIrrawaddydolphin

I wasted so much time doing it the hard way. :negative:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I stopped doing the eggs once I got my freighter and realized I could make 2-4 mil in 5 minutes by doing the missions that give Superconductor, Cryopumps, Accelerant, etc from the mission terminal on the bridge.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is there a goonsensus on the best types of ship weapons for the individual classes? I'm assuming my hauler will handle quite differently than my current fighter, but I'm also starting to look into future weapons upgrades for it, and I'm thinking some instant-hitting type of weapon (like the beam thing) and some guided secondary weapon (large rocket launcher?) sounds kinda reasonable.

Reading up online, I saw that only the fighter class ships have the targeting thing with the leading-reticule, and this lock-on mechanic, but I can't find anything about it ingame.

Honestly I just use the photon cannon. With the 2x multiplier for hitting an enemy in the rear it's pretty rare I don't shred them in one volley.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Trastion posted:

I use my Hauler as my main ship because of the space it has for cargo. I use the Phase Beam mainly for asteroid mining, the Rocket Launcher & the Photon Cannon for dealing with enemy ships. The rockets don't get lock-on at all but the Photon cannon does. Ship type doesn't matter. I think the Phase Beam will lock on too but it has to be a lot closer to "snap" to it.

I have tried the other weapons and didn't really like them as I can take out anything with the Photon Cannon and Rockets. Instead of getting the other weapons just load up with S Class upgrades to the Cannon & Rockets.

I never die in space combat anymore. Just learn to use the quick menu to fix your shields if you need to.

Motherfucker

Well, add that to the list of things the game doesn't tell you, I guess? May have been me not noticing the tooltip early on

Finally got that save the freighter mission, and I was happy to simply have access to my other claimed ships again, but now there's an entire new fleet management mechanic, frigates to defend my poo poo and missions to run? Holy poo poo

/edit:
Now, uh, how do I get access to my claimed ships again? They're not on the freighter

/edit:
Never mind, they popped up upon reload, dope poo poo

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 10, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hate that trying to charge anything basically stops your ship moving. Can I not thrust and charge my shields?

I hate ship combat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I stopped doing the eggs once I got my freighter and realized I could make 2-4 mil in 5 minutes by doing the missions that give Superconductor, Cryopumps, Accelerant, etc from the mission terminal on the bridge.

I wish I could take more than one of those at a time.

GruntyThrst posted:

Honestly I just use the photon cannon. With the 2x multiplier for hitting an enemy in the rear it's pretty rare I don't shred them in one volley.

I upgraded my cannons and they're purple now. I haven't seen a reason to use anything else, especially since the phase laser over heats in half a second even with an upgrade.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish I could take more than one of those at a time.

Build more fleet command rooms. Yeah, it's dumb and unintuitive.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

ToastyPotato posted:

Entirely too late since egg spawns are nerfed, but apparently all you had to do to grab eggs without jetpacking or building poo poo was to stand on one because the AI would ignore you.

https://gfycat.com/ifr/HauntingEarlyIrrawaddydolphin

I wasted so much time doing it the hard way. :negative:
I only discovered this yesterday. Seems like the number of eggs spawned has halved in v1.55, plus their value has gone down by ~30%. Not really worth it anymore.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

haveblue posted:

Build more fleet command rooms. Yeah, it's dumb and unintuitive.

I think he means the multiplayer missions not the frigate missions. Unless of course the command rooms somehow increases those too. :nms:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is it normal that if I just install storage containers in the back area of a freighter in the spots they snap to, the hull around the sides of the containers is punctured and I can see outside into space? :staredog:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah I thought we were talking about the galactic commissions but the Fleet Command Room is ALSO dumb.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mario Incandenza posted:

I only discovered this yesterday. Seems like the number of eggs spawned has halved in v1.55, plus their value has gone down by ~30%. Not really worth it anymore.

gently caress.

The halving I expected, but the additional nerf makes them basically useless now.

What are the new prices for crafted expensive items? How much did they nerf Superconductors and Quantum things?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Thundarr posted:

Is it normal that if I just install storage containers in the back area of a freighter in the spots they snap to, the hull around the sides of the containers is punctured and I can see outside into space? :staredog:

That is what happens, yeah. What I found out is if you use a bunch of the 4 way intersections and put the storage contains on the sides like so:
code:
=|=
=|=
=|=
=|=
=|=

where = is your containers and | is the row of 4 ways in between them, the corners of the 4 ways covers the part that would otherwise look out into space.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trastion posted:

I think he means the multiplayer missions not the frigate missions. Unless of course the command rooms somehow increases those too. :nms:

Oh, in that case I don't know. I haven't had a chance to try any MP missions.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

haveblue posted:

Oh, in that case I don't know. I haven't had a chance to try any MP missions.

If you have a Freighter you should be doing the missions from the Galactic Mission terminal. They reward materials like Superconductor, Accelerant, etc that make you lots of money.

No idea if these items have been nerfed but they used to sell for 2mil a unit and you would get 1-2 of them as a reward for doing a 5 minute mission.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is there any trick to uploading discoveries or is the discovery service just garbage and always offline?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CRAYON posted:

If you have a Freighter you should be doing the missions from the Galactic Mission terminal. They reward materials like Superconductor, Accelerant, etc that make you lots of money.

No idea if these items have been nerfed but they used to sell for 2mil a unit and you would get 1-2 of them as a reward for doing a 5 minute mission.

All the freighter missions I ever seem to get are 2-3 hour ones, and my ships come back damaged.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Chalks posted:

Is there any trick to uploading discoveries or is the discovery service just garbage and always offline?

Just hit the upload button and get paid regardless of what it says.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The_Doctor posted:

All the freighter missions I ever seem to get are 2-3 hour ones, and my ships come back damaged.

Not the Expeditions, the missions that you get from the terminal in the center of the bridge. They will be things like "Raid a Depot" or "Steal Industrial Secrets."

This is the mission terminal on your freighter:

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 10, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Not the Expeditions, the missions that you get from the Terminal in the center of the bridge. They will be things like "Raid a Depot" or "Steal Industrial Secrets."

This is the mission terminal on your freighter:

Oh! I've looked at that once, and the rewards all seemed to be things like 1,200 units or 300 nanites. Things that were severely not worth it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ToastyPotato posted:

Just hit the upload button and get paid regardless of what it says.

That only uploads planets and stars, not creatures. I went through and manually uploaded my creatures and got about 2k nanites.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That only uploads planets and stars, not creatures. I went through and manually uploaded my creatures and got about 2k nanites.

Make sure to do plants and waypoints as well (on PS4 you highlight the section with the cursor and dpad left/right to see those). You don't get much, so I generally wait and do them all at once.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah, I mean upload in general, however, you can upload all creatures (or plants or waypoints) by clicking their respective menu tab button and then hovering over it and pressing E. So for example, with plants, select the plants tab, and while still over the plant button, press E and it will upload all plants for that planet. I didn't know that until someone pointed it out. Better than manually uploading each thing one at a time which is what I was doing for a while.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Am I just incredibly unlucky or are S-class scanner upgrades rare?

I haven't seen one in 10 hours of play and 8 stations.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I spent literal hours last night searching for a half-way decent multitool that didn't look like rear end. Finally found one, got it upgraded back up to spec(taking about half my nanites to do so.) Log in today, after the update, and it apparently changed the color scheme on my multitool to butt-ugly.

So that's neat.

Edit: Apparently the Save Editor can edit seeds and there's a seed database. So gently caress it, I went shopping and got one I actually wanted.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 10, 2018

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Jaxyon posted:

Am I just incredibly unlucky or are S-class scanner upgrades rare?

I haven't seen one in 10 hours of play and 8 stations.

8 stations isn't that many to be honest. I've never found any in damaged machinery but I've heard it's possible.

If you had said you spent 10 hours doing nothing but station hopping then that would be unlucky.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I've never seen damaged machinery give anything except nanites.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Here's a reddit post on the economy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/95elq6/the_economy_of_no_mans_sky/

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Looks like the best profit is buying a tech modules in system A, intentionally crashing the market in system B, then using the artificially cheap modules in B to sell at profit in C D and E.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Has anyone compiled a list of what base components and machinery there is and how you get them? I had no drat idea you had to build one of those prefab round rooms to get a new series of base quests.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It looks like the patch reduced the base sale price of many / most things by 20%, which is unfortunate but not catastrophic. On the other hand, it unfucked my freighter's galactic mission board and I have a recipe for stasis units (which still sell for 15+ million post patch, and the freighter missions directly provide the components). Time to get my Scrooge McDuck on.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Mario Incandenza posted:

It was fantastic early game money (I just started, so it's all early game to me). Standing on an egg is a brilliant bug though, I was collecting these by getting the swarm to spawn in one alcove side, then jetpacking just over the building and collecting most of the opposite side while the horrors tried to pathfind to me.

Bought a hauler with the proceeds.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
No-one mentions when talking about "bank 30-40 missions and do them all at once" how goddamn time consuming and tedious turning in all those missions in.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Viperix posted:

time consuming and tedious

No man's sky next in 4 words.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Viperix posted:

No-one mentions when talking about "bank 30-40 missions and do them all at once" how goddamn time consuming and tedious turning in all those missions in.

Most missions you get can all be turned in at any one station, it is pretty rare that you get a mission that requires you to be somewhere else. Though deliveries are the worst since they definitely seem to make you go to different places for the delivery itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I bought an entirely new computer and this still runs like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToastyPotato posted:

Most missions you get can all be turned in at any one station, it is pretty rare that you get a mission that requires you to be somewhere else. Though deliveries are the worst since they definitely seem to make you go to different places for the delivery itself.

He means it's tedious to stand at the kiosk hitting "turn in" and watching the reward interstitials 30 or 40 times, and it is.