Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
its not doing anything new you haven't seen before in the witcher 3. was getting big witcher vibes from some of those shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vikar Jerome posted:

its not doing anything new you haven't seen before

Videogames in 2018 sheeple

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Witcher 3 is fun and all but does it have camp management? No? Well then, there it is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Witcher 3 still looks amazing for sure but imo a bunch of games beat it now. Horizon and GoW especially. And I think RDR2 and a few other upcoming games are setting the bar even higher.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
graphically, i might add.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

kiwami 2 beats it. spiderman beats it. resident evil 2 remake beats it. god of war beats it. i'm sure RDR2 will be fun and i dont give a poo poo about graphics, ill be playing a dreamcast game later this month, but still, wasnt wowed or anything. was more wowed by spiderman.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 10, 2018

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

revolther posted:

RDR2 looked pretty Deadwood inspired. Wasn't really impressed graphically, but the scale and scope of the world and activities looks pretty fun. A genuinely huge terrain with lots to explore and discover is something only Rockstar can really manage it seems.

loving what???

:lol:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FAUXTON posted:

Did you ever get the name of the guy who attacked kratos in front of his house?

Yah

Samuringa posted:

I'm so loving dumb, of course the guy that keeps hammering how he doesn't feel is Baldur. :doh:

Now I got the boat and did some sidequesting, and I know Kratos is always perpetually angry, but we're being rewarded for this! And the rewards help you kill stuff more deader!

rabidsquid posted:

one thing that sort of annoys me about that is the game gives you his name during that encounter if you have the subtitles on, but kratos finding out is more interesting if you dont have them on to find out that way imo.

Mine didn't, he was just "Stranger"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the subtitles just say Stranger until you actually discover his true name in-game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't believe Kratos beats the poo poo out of Rumplestiltskin in the new God of War game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did anyone watch the Quiet Man gameplay reveal by Square? Uh, what a strange project. I got Bouncer flashbacks but it might interesting?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The lovely old mean dwarven smith in God of War is an underappreciated star of the game, too.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hope camp management in RDR2 isn't a loving chore like settlements in Fallout 4 were.

I don't know, I guess I'm not that jazzed for yet another open over the shoulder third person view camera romper.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The words "camp management" don't really get me excited about playing a videogame unless it refers to a Rollercoaster Tycoon-esque game about managing a summer camp that treats the hijinx of counselors and the inevitable loss of the kids with delightfully dark humour.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

The lovely old mean dwarven smith in God of War is an underappreciated star of the game, too.

The dwarves were pretty obnoxious tbh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lobok posted:

The words "camp management" don't really get me excited about playing a videogame unless it refers to a Rollercoaster Tycoon-esque game about managing a summer camp that treats the hijinx of counselors and the inevitable loss of the kids with delightfully dark humour.

Wet Hot American Summer Tycoon

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Mine didn't, he was just "Stranger"

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah the subtitles just say Stranger until you actually discover his true name in-game

Okay, I thought it was just me, but the conversation was like, two days old by the time I came across it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wet Hot American Summer Tycoon

100% would play it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

I'm imagining a sort of situation where there's like 4-5 NPCs that you have to do increasingly challenging quests for; and the happier you make them the more they upgrade certain aspects of your camp. Unless the quests are creatively written it sounds like a huge loving chore. I don't even want to think about having to hunt 4 moose pelts for Jimmy McCowboy so that he can give me a gun that reloads 4% faster.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

Did anyone watch the Quiet Man gameplay reveal by Square? Uh, what a strange project. I got Bouncer flashbacks but it might interesting?

The Bouncer was actually one of the best brawlers for the PS2 with a weirdly deep vs. mode and stunningly difficult final boss. I just looked up the trailer based on your post and holy cow that does have Bouncer vibes, I’m all ears!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

...! posted:

So after playing Just Cause 3 for awhile I'll just say this:

The game is definitely good but it's nowhere near as good or fun as JC2. It feels like they really lost sight of what made that game a true masterpiece. It's not like I wanted the same game but they changed way too much, almost always for the worse. I did many replays of 2 but can't see myself ever replaying 3 after I'm done.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I agree that Just Cause 2 was a better experience overall, but I also really liked Just Cause 3 and think that they did a lot of good as well as gently caress a few things up.

The wingsuit is amazing, and I hope that you'll agree. I think that it strikes a great balance between ease of use, fun and skill ceiling, and is a great addition to the series. The tether is also a great feature. I know it was modded in the PC version of JC2, but for console plebs, this is the first time that you can tie a cow to a car, then that car to a plane. The infinite remote mines (with rocket boosters!) I think are also a neat idea that maybe could have been implemented a bit better, but overall was a positive change. I also like the map better in JC3, but not by any huge margin.

There definitely are some flaws (some mission types are bullshit, the upgrade system is kind of odd, in a bad way, (non-DLC) vehicles are almost all useless, the final boss....), but the only thing that they really would have to fix, in my opinion, are the performance (and performance-adjacent, like the leaderboard-related endless loading times) issues.

I think it'd be pretty easy to fix the main issues from JC3, so I'm pretty hopeful about 4. But maybe I'm just a sucker for that kind of game; I did put in like 200 hours in Mercenaries 2.

And man do I love that song in the trailer...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JC3 would have been greatly improved by just requiring poo poo exploded instead of entire towns/regions liberated because stopping everything to find that last loudspeaker in a city sucks a whooooole lot. And by keeping the stunt system on moving vehicles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBA Starblade posted:

JC3 would have been greatly improved by just requiring poo poo exploded instead of entire towns/regions liberated because stopping everything to find that last loudspeaker in a city sucks a whooooole lot. And by keeping the stunt system on moving vehicles.

As you destroyed a high percentage of things the last few would show up on the map but gaming through maps is not fun and I'm not sure why players had to uncover these locations instead of starting out with them. Other than a flimsy way to increase the difficulty?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Who do you think has more "this loving sucked so much I only played it for 100 hours" types, Rockstar or Bethesda

And how many of them post in Games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lobok posted:

As you destroyed a high percentage of things the last few would show up on the map but gaming through maps is not fun and I'm not sure why players had to uncover these locations instead of starting out with them. Other than a flimsy way to increase the difficulty?

I know they showed up on the map but constantly pausing to look for it all was pretty lame. The best part of JC2 was rolling chases through the countryside causing insane property damage. In JC3 you have to turn around and mop up to move on.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Wolfsheim posted:

Who do you think has more "this loving sucked so much I only played it for 100 hours" types, Rockstar or Bethesda

Which one of them makes Destiny?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

CordlessPen posted:

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I agree that Just Cause 2 was a better experience overall, but I also really liked Just Cause 3 and think that they did a lot of good as well as gently caress a few things up.

The wingsuit is amazing, and I hope that you'll agree. I think that it strikes a great balance between ease of use, fun and skill ceiling, and is a great addition to the series. The tether is also a great feature. I know it was modded in the PC version of JC2, but for console plebs, this is the first time that you can tie a cow to a car, then that car to a plane. The infinite remote mines (with rocket boosters!) I think are also a neat idea that maybe could have been implemented a bit better, but overall was a positive change. I also like the map better in JC3, but not by any huge margin.

There definitely are some flaws (some mission types are bullshit, the upgrade system is kind of odd, in a bad way, (non-DLC) vehicles are almost all useless, the final boss....), but the only thing that they really would have to fix, in my opinion, are the performance (and performance-adjacent, like the leaderboard-related endless loading times) issues.

I think it'd be pretty easy to fix the main issues from JC3, so I'm pretty hopeful about 4. But maybe I'm just a sucker for that kind of game; I did put in like 200 hours in Mercenaries 2.

And man do I love that song in the trailer...

4 is by the original Avalanche team in Sweden, so odds are good that it will hew closer to JC2 than JC3. Hopefully the technical deficiencies of the engine get addressed, because both JC3 and Mad Max actually make me feel physically ill at times, although less so on my Pro than on my OG PS4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best game set in a summer camp is Psychonauts.

Gravy Jones posted:

Which one of them makes Destiny?

Neither, Destiny is (published by) Activision Blizzard.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I thought jc2 had a better world map & missions but jc3 had better gameplay mechanics. Any game with a fuckin wing suit makes it instantaneously better anyway.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wolfsheim posted:

That’s my favorite self own, I never stop finding it amusing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

CordlessPen posted:

What the hell, Mercenaries 2 is probably the worst example in the past two console generations of a sequel taking a complete nose dive. Only one I can think of that might be worse is Crackdown 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBA Starblade posted:

I know they showed up on the map but constantly pausing to look for it all was pretty lame. The best part of JC2 was rolling chases through the countryside causing insane property damage. In JC3 you have to turn around and mop up to move on.

Yeah, that sounds better. Never played more than a quick demo of JC2. One of the other annoying things was destroying towns that required Rico to throw some kind of switch. Meant that you had to abandon your vehicle.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vikar Jerome posted:

its not doing anything new you haven't seen before in the witcher 3. was getting big witcher vibes from some of those shots.

Pushing people like rdr2 looks much different than that time in Witcher

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ElwoodCuse posted:

What the hell, Mercenaries 2 is probably the worst example in the past two console generations of a sequel taking a complete nose dive. Only one I can think of that might be worse is Crackdown 2.

I know, that's why I used it; even the worst "mayhem/destruction/free-form" open-world game will grab my attention for hours. It also helped that Mercenaries 2 had co-op and VERY little in the way of boundaries. Plus, the bugs were super funny half the time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why is Saints Row 2 the only open world game I can drive my car into a gas station and realistically launch myself 45 miles into the air from the subsequent explosion and land unscathed

GuidoAnchovies
Oct 27, 2005

Im'a get ya!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am finding this out right now. the vehicle controls are soooooo bad

I only completed the prologue and drove around to get a feel for the town after the game opens up, but I found the driving to be a lot better with the realistic setting for driving in the options/gameplay menu.

The standard setting seems to make things a little too rigid since it will keep you from drifting around corners smoothly. Once I made the change, it felt like any time I messed up driving that it was definitely my own fault instead of the game deciding to change the rules of physics mid-turn. Then again, I love racing sims so YMMV.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ETERNAL DOOM gameplay RIGHT NOW

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

ETERNAL DOOM gameplay RIGHT NOW

It's just a baldman talking right now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Now it's a man with hair talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's just a baldman talking right now

theres a headfullofhairman talking RIGHT NOW