Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gravy Jones posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for games that fit the following criteria:

Worker Placement as primary mechanic
Plays OK with two players (occasionally three or four, but games that are only for two players would be fine)
Fairly light in terms of complexity (Player 2 is ten, and enjoys Lords of Waterdeep so something around that level or with a little more side stuff thrown in)
In print and not crazy expensive
A fun theme for a geeky 10yo (fantasy particularly, but sci-fi, anime whatever as well, even if the theme is just plastered on. Fishing villages and wineries... not so much. As an example, even though the theme in Waterdeep is paper-thin and the actual game is fairly mundane, he loves the quests and the fact that they're thematically linked to the requirements/reward)

It might be a stretch to find a perfect match, but I don't really know what's out there beyond the big names, most of which are probably a little too complex and the theme not interesting enough for him.

Ars alchimia. Really cute anime theme about alchemy, worker placement with dice risk management (a la Stone Age), and small box. It has replaced Stone Age for my intro WP game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Gravy Jones posted:

Plays OK with two players (occasionally three or four, but games that are only for two players would be fine)
Fairly light in terms of complexity (Player 2 is ten, and enjoys Lords of Waterdeep so something around that level or with a little more side stuff thrown in)
A fun theme for a geeky 10yo (fantasy particularly, but sci-fi, anime whatever as well, even if the theme is just plastered on. Fishing villages and wineries... not so much. As an example, even though the theme in Waterdeep is paper-thin and the actual game is fairly mundane, he loves the quests and the fact that they're thematically linked to the requirements/reward)

It might be a stretch to find a perfect match, but I don't really know what's out there beyond the big names, most of which are probably a little too complex and the theme not interesting enough for him.

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork would have been my suggestion but it doesn't seem to be in print.

You're UK based right? PM me if it sounds/looks like what you're looking for as I could sell you my copy.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
^^^ I'll investigate both further. Anime Alchemy in particular probably right up his alley and looks pretty cheap. Thanks.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Viticulture is medium-light and plays fine with two in my opinion.

Not sure what its print status is, I know a couple of people around here have been complaining that it's unavailable up North beyond the wall.

And Istabul is sort of worker (assistant) placement and playing that with two like a little tight-rope walking exercise if you both know what you're doing.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 10, 2018

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Champions of Midgard is probably perfect for a 10 year old LoW player. Similar in complexity to Lords of Waterdeep, you're a bunch of vikings beating up all sorts of monsters, luck mitigation is very important (dice-based combat). Much more thematic than LoW, if theme is that important it should be a big hit.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

Raiders of the North Sea lines up with all that. Interesting worker placement & retrieval mechanic and plays well with 2. Base game is good but light, expansions add a lot and make it a very very solid game for us. Plus metal coins and VIKING MEEPLES (VIKLES?).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Raiders of the North Sea (another viking worker placement game) might be worth a look too.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Not sure of their print status, but how about Spyrium (steampunk theme) or Caverna: Cave vs Cave (2p only)?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Adding them to the list! Someone had mentioned Champions of Midgard in the past, but in my head I think I'd confused it with A Feast For Odin, which is probably a bit too much (and considerably less beating up monsters).

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Gravy Jones posted:

Adding them to the list! Someone had mentioned Champions of Midgard in the past, but in my head I think I'd confused it with A Feast For Odin, which is probably a bit too much (and considerably less beating up monsters).

I'd look into Argent: the Consortium. Might be a bit above what you're looking for, but sounds like something he'd grow into.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

OmegaGoo posted:

I'd look into Argent: the Consortium. Might be a bit above what you're looking for, but sounds like something he'd grow into.

Argent: the Consortium "a bit above" a 10-year-old? Are you smoking your own goo?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think I found a happy middle in my Guns of Gettysburg video by narrating over static images that you follow along while playing out a couple turns. There's absolutely no getting around reading the rules but even with its examples the rules don't have a lot of applied concepts. That means I get to show you the Spider-Man powers of USCW soldiers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s dice placement and I haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but I picked up the King’s Abbey and the theme is pretty cool. You’re monks fighting against the darkness. I’m pretty sure my 9 year old will enjoy it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed my 2–3 solo games of Bottom of the 9th, but made the mistake of introducing it to my wife about 2 hours after a marathon session of Pop! the Pig with our 3 year old.

She reviewed it as, "I bet the girls will like this someday," which is about as bad as reviews come for things we've already spent money on.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Gravy Jones posted:

Harvest is a cute worker placement/resource conversion farming game in a fantasy setting. It has poop tokens and the crops have cute names (scarrots, phantom peppers.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Huxley posted:

I enjoyed my 2–3 solo games of Bottom of the 9th, but made the mistake of introducing it to my wife about 2 hours after a marathon session of Pop! the Pig with our 3 year old.

She reviewed it as, "I bet the girls will like this someday," which is about as bad as reviews come for things we've already spent money on.

I would play it with you. I like it!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I would play it with you. I like it!

I liked it, too! I'll make her play it 2-3 more times and it might grow on her.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

Most people don't think of it as "worker placement", but Tiny Epic Galaxies has a very similar mechanic. Plays great with 2-4, easy to learn, has a fun theme, and it's extremely portable.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

homullus posted:

Argent: the Consortium "a bit above" a 10-year-old? Are you smoking your own goo?

Quite possibly. I'd have enjoyed it at that age, but I fully admit I'm crazy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't doubt there are 10 year olds that can fully grasp and play Argent, but I would never recommend it without knowing the kid or their experience level with games. I played Gaia Project with a 10 year old at DTC and he did great, was actually winning until the 2nd end game scoring bonus caught him.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
drat, Root has nearly 200 rules questions and the game isn't even in retail yet. Not looking forward to the first few playthroughs if that's any indicator of the difficulty of understanding the rules.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Just recently bought Arkham Horror and a couple expansions and now i’m learning that they just announced a new edition :(

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean it also got essentially replaced by Eldritch Horror ages ago but I guess it does scratch a slightly different itch.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lorini posted:

drat, Root has nearly 200 rules questions and the game isn't even in retail yet. Not looking forward to the first few playthroughs if that's any indicator of the difficulty of understanding the rules.

I don’t understand why there are so many questions. The rule book is fantastic, and almost all of the questions I saw could be answered by a simple citation. In fact, most of the weird rules interactions are discussed in each relevant section, with cites.

It’s a little on the technical side, maybe that’s scaring people away?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lorini posted:

The core rules are pretty easy to get a grip on, I think. The main area of confusion is probably how factions color things like scoring. The core game has a card that has all four players narrate and act out their first two turns as a teaching mechanism, which was extremely helpful for my Eyrie player in particular in figuring out the Decree system.

Once I do another game I'm going to introduce the expansion factions because I want to try Lizard Cult so bad.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

Note I'm still waiting. Pitched in for an expansion too but I know that won't come till later.

Is the expansion not shipping with the base game for KS backers???

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is just going to hammer in the preconception that hurf durf wargames are hard, even if they have cute animals. But hey at least they’re trying the game cuz of the cute animals. If only raccoon tycoon was a light 18xx or Splotter (rules light but strategically deep) instead of the wasted potential it is.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

This is just going to hammer in the preconception that hurf durf wargames are hard, even if they have cute animals. But hey at least they’re trying the game cuz of the cute animals. If only raccoon tycoon was a light 18xx or Splotter (rules light but strategically deep) instead of the wasted potential it is.

I do wonder if that's it, that the theme brought people to an unfamiliar game genre and they're having trouble with that genre's conventions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s pretty standard dudes on a map + more asymmetry so no I wouldn’t agree with either of those

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

18Lilliput missed their chance

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I bet it has something to do with how confrontational Root is. I know in my group the more you can mess with someone else's plan the more the rule book gets pulled out.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's because technical manuals, while very clear to people used to technical manuals, aren't actually user friendly design for people who aren't used to technical manuals.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
also the little slip they give you to intro turns isn't super great. The first example they have of a move is the marquis's march action. If everyone isn't clear that the marquis gets two moves in their march action, it's going to look like a move action is moving across two spaces.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've opened my new copy of My Little Scythe, and so far it looks pretty good. Very good quality, far as I can tell, though the player boards are a little thin (definitely not as good as the ones from Scythe).Great insert too, though it doesn't look sleeve-friendly. Looking forward to putting some play into this when I get back from a vacation, then later introducing it to my niece.

The rules certainly look kid-friendly, involving throwing pies, getting friendship, and casting spells, though I suspect they may be a tad bit too complex for her simply due to the volume of them. Might need to wait another year before she's ready, but then, she's surprised me in the past

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s pretty standard dudes on a map + more asymmetry so no I wouldn’t agree with either of those

I did watch your video, but there were still some things I didn't grok from the video, mostly because when you were explaining them you had the camera on the player card instead of the board :). The differences (asymmetry) are really important to the game play so the people I'm playing it with will want to get that right. We'll see how it goes tonight and tomorrow, I'm still looking forward to it. Another friend who has played it said just to wing it instead of trying to get everything little corner case correct and that's what I think we'll do (I'll warn them first that we're going to play that way).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lorini posted:

I did watch your video, but there were still some things I didn't grok from the video, mostly because when you were explaining them you had the camera on the player card instead of the board :). The differences (asymmetry) are really important to the game play so the people I'm playing it with will want to get that right. We'll see how it goes tonight and tomorrow, I'm still looking forward to it. Another friend who has played it said just to wing it instead of trying to get everything little corner case correct and that's what I think we'll do (I'll warn them first that we're going to play that way).

We did that the entire Gencon. :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

Is the expansion not shipping with the base game for KS backers???

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I did a pre-order for the expansion, I only backed the core game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

18Lilliput missed their chance

Ikr? I just hope this doesn’t scare other publishers from making more games in this style instead of keeping to the convention that anthropomorphic animals themes are for children’s games only. We could all use a Die Macher or Lacerda level of euro with cute animals.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Impermanent posted:

it's because technical manuals, while very clear to people used to technical manuals, aren't actually user friendly design for people who aren't used to technical manuals.

Almost all of the issues we've had with the rules are that the technical details are correct but intuitive with other aspects of the design. We played our first game with Eyrie and Woodland Alliance and had WA lose their points when their sympathy went back to the board. Our assumption was that covering up something that said +2 would erase those points, while the manual wanted us to assume that because there was no reference to losing points for doing so, that it wouldn't happen. There are a few of these "negative rules", unsaid but implied by their absence. Once you understand that the rules are missing anything that clarifies their unstated assumptions (like a rule that said "Only the Eyrie can lose points, and only during Turmoil"), everything else is pretty easy to figure out.

Basically, this from the Root rules editor, would have been really nice to have in the box, but I'm glad it's available now: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2038847/official-faq-and-guide-reading-rules

If you're teaching this game, you'll want to read the Learn to Play to get a feel for everything, then this guide, and then reference the Law of Root as necessary to clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

I think I found a happy middle in my Guns of Gettysburg video by narrating over static images that you follow along while playing out a couple turns. There's absolutely no getting around reading the rules but even with its examples the rules don't have a lot of applied concepts. That means I get to show you the Spider-Man powers of USCW soldiers.

This image is delightful. Also I'll totally watch the gog video you post!