Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Okay, so what I want to do is systematically stab the families that own the trade posts in zone b until at least one of them falls to me, got it.

Are there any other ways to steal or destroy rival patrician's trade posts besides stabbing them and hoping you win the inheritance dice roll? As far as I've been able to tell so far it looks like I can only request embargo wars on other doges, not minor patricians in my own republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You can only steal trade posts from patricians in the same realm if you're not the Doge. As for the stabbing part, it's not a dice roll. Trade posts get distributed according to which family has the least posts. So if you wipe out a family and you have the most trade posts, which you always will, then you will inherit every fourth post they own. So you only kill the last member when they have four or more posts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I did.not realize that and have been stabbing guys with 2 posts and wondering why I never seem to get them. :downs: Thanks for telling me that, will adjust my strategy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
While you're doing that make sure to prune the houses. It can be a real pain to deal with a rival house that has 20 dudes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fortunately the AI is dumb and constantly plots granting you righteous imprisonment on all your patricians

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
As a nomad, how do I increase my Manpower? I've been playing the Jewish Khazars, and I never seem to have enough to send my son as a mercenary captain.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

I'm basically the Frank Reynolds of CKII

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Omg is that a mod?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Omg is that a mod?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AfterTheEndFanFork/

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So I tried the Dhofar merchant republic thing. My first doge blew up a patrician who was his friend, got depressed about it and killed himself at 26. His half-brother didn't win the ensuing election.

That was a fast fall from grace :eng99:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2018

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

So with China floating around somewhere off the map now and playing a role in the game how easy is it to pull of a Zoroastrian restoration these days? I remember it being one of the most difficult starts as Karen and having to re-role your start to get good traits, roll to get your liege a low roll on event troops and pull some real, almost exploit, poo poo to pull it off.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Thrasophius posted:

So with China floating around somewhere off the map now and playing a role in the game how easy is it to pull of a Zoroastrian restoration these days? I remember it being one of the most difficult starts as Karen and having to re-role your start to get good traits, roll to get your liege a low roll on event troops and pull some real, almost exploit, poo poo to pull it off.

Since you can apparently call in a Chinese invasion on your liege, it'd be almost pitifully easy to just swear allegiance to the nearest Muslim blob and send a few generations of leaders on kowtow till you get enough Grace saved.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The map expansion makes it easier to conquer in directions that aren't the Muslim blob as well. Even without calling in an invasion you could spend Grace on a lucrative trade deal with the Chinese while taking over the Silk Road route through the Tarim Basim.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Omg is that a mod?

After the End is the best CK2 mod there is.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Since you can apparently call in a Chinese invasion on your liege, it'd be almost pitifully easy to just swear allegiance to the nearest Muslim blob and send a few generations of leaders on kowtow till you get enough Grace saved.

Sounds pretty handy. I like it.

I think I'll have to go for a Zoroastrian run again. Probably one of my most favourite campaigns.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
New dev diary, and it's a big one

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-95-amending-africa.1114195

Redrawn map of Africa, new Kingdoms and Empires, a bunch of new provinces added to link West Africa and Ethiopia, and new silk road style trade routes to represent trans-Saharan trade.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pakled posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-95-amending-africa.1114195

Redrawn map of Africa, new Kingdoms and Empires, a bunch of new provinces added to link West Africa and Ethiopia, and new silk road style trade routes to represent trans-Saharan trade.

That's amazing I honestly didn't think they would re-touch Africa

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

That is pretty drat surprising. Now they just need to give W. Africans some society love. :colbert:

I'd just be happy with just a reskinned monastic order.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 10, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pakled posted:

:gizz:

Ohh wow! This is really exciting. They're finally making Africa historically accurate, especially with the gold mines and the Saharan trade route. Aw man. I've always wanted to play as Mansa Musa!! I hope that they put in an event where if you go on hajj, and control the Empire of Mali and have lots of gold, you can cause economic devastation along the way just from the sheer amount of gold you give away to charity.

The new shields are cool too!

EDIT: They posted a culture map later in the thread

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 10, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

That's extremely cool. Maybe Africa won't be quite so doomed anymore. And yeah, a Mansa Musa event chain would be great.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Gonna unite all of Africa with gigantic piles of gold and Toto on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pakled posted:

Hell yeah. This sounds amazing, Africa needed the attention.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy poo poo! Not just fixing W-Africa but adding the center???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The whole trade routes that start out making you gently caress all but then ratchet up to eventually be one of the most lucrative thanks to gold mines thing sounds rad as hell. Gives African kingdoms the tools to actually get wealthy enough to break out of their box without relying on sheer luck.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is there a release date for holy fury or is it still up in the air? I can't wait for these changes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sydin posted:

The whole trade routes that start out making you gently caress all but then ratchet up to eventually be one of the most lucrative thanks to gold mines thing sounds rad as hell. Gives African kingdoms the tools to actually get wealthy enough to break out of their box without relying on sheer luck.

Well like, for me, even the very fact that there's going to be more stuff there makes me want to play the area more. Just like with Jade Dragon, I never played in that part of the world until I got the DLC because it seemed distant, unconnected, and uninteresting, I've never spent a lot of time playing the African areas because they were always way off in their own corner not doing much. This will definitely give me a lot more reason to fiddle with that area.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm not entirely sold on the "it's not just West Africa any more, so we made one monolithic African Religion" aspect, but the map stuff sounds cool.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Presumably African religions will get some of the same stuff as the other pagan religions getting overhauled.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not entirely sold on the "it's not just West Africa any more, so we made one monolithic African Religion" aspect, but the map stuff sounds cool.

Yeah, if there was one thing I'd vote down on this it'd be that. It's kind of treated with a brief, perfunctory handwave, which is kind of problematic. But maybe it's still early and they'll leave it to a later dev diary?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's no worse than any of the other pagan religions that lump tons of diverse regional beliefs under singular labels. That said I also very much hope it gets touched up a bit along with the other Pagan changes that are supposedly coming.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

According to one of the devs in that thread, African pagans are getting one of the new warrior lodge societies. Too bad we haven't gotten a diary on those yet

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sydin posted:

It's no worse than any of the other pagan religions that lump tons of diverse regional beliefs under singular labels. That said I also very much hope it gets touched up a bit along with the other Pagan changes that are supposedly coming.

Does "After the End" add Pastafarianism?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

Does "After the End" add Pastafarianism?

out of date a bit with the new fan fork but

http://ate-ck2.wikia.com/wiki/Religions

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Beerdeer posted:

As a nomad, how do I increase my Manpower? I've been playing the Jewish Khazars, and I never seem to have enough to send my son as a mercenary captain.

Going to ask this again. Took a break from it last night and tried to form Brittany in the Old Gods setup.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Beerdeer posted:

Going to ask this again. Took a break from it last night and tried to form Brittany in the Old Gods setup.

There's more detail on the CK2 wiki but essentially the more empty holding slots you have in your realm, the higher your population will be, and a percentage of the population becomes your manpower. When you capture a province there's an option in the holdings window to burn down the city/temple/castle, which leaves you with a nice empty holding for your horses to live on.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
And they're adding a Coptic culture! gently caress, I can't wait for Holy Fury, this is great.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Holy Fury is shaping up to be the best DLC they've ever released. Now I might actually have to play in Africa first, these changes are amazing.It also gives Abyssinia a bit more wiggle room.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It also means you can form a Jewish empire without having to go up against the Abbasids

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

According to one of the devs in that thread, African pagans are getting one of the new warrior lodge societies. Too bad we haven't gotten a diary on those yet

Awesome. Honestly this is the one thing I've wanted for them. Even if they weren't getting the trade routes and map changes, the fact that so far they have access to zero societies sets them apart from every other religion as far as I know. That was really my only major complaint about Africans.

E: Also I'm interested to see what the cultural retinues will be for the new ones. The only good thing about Free Warriors is how numerous they are which is okay for sieges.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

catlord posted:

And they're adding a Coptic culture! gently caress, I can't wait for Holy Fury, this is great.
All copts are bastards, though.

• Locked thread