Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

yeah, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
yeah i was arguing against the other person's position of "paper books are completely purposeless because everybody in the entire world can just use an ereader, duh"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Or you know, maybe I want to give books to a small child because I don't want them think the world is all contained in a screen.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah i was arguing against the other person's position of "paper books are completely purposeless because everybody in the entire world can just use an ereader, duh"

Which like, to be clear, I agree with - if we could somehow get everyone an ebook reader (like a good epaper one, so the battery lasts months) and ebooks didn't have all these extra bullshit limitations bolted on to them for dumb reasons, it'd be a great idea to stop using all the paper and ink and fuel to ship the heavy physical copies all over the place, yeah :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Or you know, maybe I want to give books to a small child because I don't want them think the world is all contained in a screen.

I'm not sure if the kid would care or appreciate the point at all, since they don't have the "remembers the world before the internet consumed everything" reference point most of us do :shrug:

e: Apparently I really like the shruggy guy :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Which like, to be clear, I agree with - if we could somehow get everyone an ebook reader (like a good epaper one, so the battery lasts months) and ebooks didn't have all these extra bullshit limitations bolted on to them for dumb reasons, it'd be a great idea to stop using all the paper and ink and fuel to ship the heavy physical copies all over the place, yeah :shrug:

Speaking as a librarian, ebooks are also more expensive than paperbacks for the library to buy and we have much less control over what gets added to the collection. "Buying" ebooks for a library is actually more along the lines of renting access to a database of ebooks whose terms of use, and what books are in a given database, we have no control over.

Physical books are cheaper, once we buy them we actually own them, and we have much greater control over what to buy. It's actually really loving hard to go "We want to buy X specific book as an ebook for our collection." With physical books, it's as easy as booting up Amazon.

The publishing industry is a racket.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely good for homeless and poor people to have to charge their books

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

some fat dude posted:

Bragging about your rich parents for that social justice cred hell yeah

My uncle bequeathed me a stake in his sweatshop empire, but I spend part of my on-the-clock time leisurely advocating for a narrow selection of wedge-issue interests I share with the peasants. How did I become so generous?

If nothing else, it seems fairly unlikely that she could make it into the writing industry, given the current glut of social justice writers, without mommy and daddy's social network greasing the way.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

some fat dude posted:

Bragging about your rich parents for that social justice cred hell yeah

My uncle bequeathed me a stake in his sweatshop empire, but I spend part of my on-the-clock time leisurely advocating for a narrow selection of wedge-issue interests I share with the peasants. How did I become so generous?

Oh yeah I think we can all agree that part's totally bullshit, I just don't think that's quite what this post was getting at:

Proposition Castle posted:

How it happened? Two successful parents don't guarantee a child that'll make good decisions.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I've never seen one of these in person and I frequent a lot of public parks. I'm not convinced they aren't art pieces.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kazak posted:

I've never seen one of these in person and I frequent a lot of public parks. I'm not convinced they aren't art pieces.

Get lost in a book while the timer runs out....

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I'm not sure if the kid would care or appreciate the point at all, since they don't have the "remembers the world before the internet consumed everything" reference point most of us do :shrug:

e: Apparently I really like the shruggy guy :shrug:

which is why I teach mine that there is a whole world out there that has nothing to do with and is not connected to the Internet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

Tragic Fingers

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bonzo posted:

which is why I teach mine that there is a whole world out there that has nothing to do with and is not connected to the Internet.

Resistance is futile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

Definitely good for homeless and poor people to have to charge their books

Going back to libraries that the poor and homeless use. They typically have power sockets.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kazak posted:

That's exactly what it is, yes. A German guy, Fabian Brunsing, made it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Going back to libraries that the poor and homeless use. They typically have power sockets.

Yeah there's places for homeless people to charge things at libraries and elsewhere (sometimes even stations set up specifically for that reason), since like I said many of them have phones now, but yeah that's why I mentioned the epaper readers since they have really long battery lives anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

That's exactly what it is, yes. A German guy, Fabian Brunsing, made it.

Normal benches just have low armrests or bumps to keep people from laying down on them, much less expensive to maintain :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I Don't feel like I maybe should even stay engaged with this, but they library might be miles from where they can safely sleep, across unsafe streets in inclement weather.

Also charging ports are finite and you may need to babysit it to make sure it isn't stolen.

It's just... an incredibly privileged position to not even see how these things are incredibly burdensome

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Normal benches just have low armrests or bumps to keep people from laying down on them, much less expensive to maintain :colbert:

And way less likely someone will just pour concrete over it to cover up the points.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The CEO at my last job had me come over and set up his home network at his rich guy mansion and fix stuff sometimes (which he paid me to do as a contractor so :shrug:) and i distinctly remember I went in to set up some software on his wife's computer and opened the browser and the first loving thing you see in the bookmarks toolbar was a saved search for something like "I can't feel emotions anymore and am dead inside" and the rest of the day I was just all :yikes: and tried to forget I saw it

I went to a garage sale for a big tech guy's home after he moved. lots of generic hypercapitalist bullshit and then a few sad "help me I want to die" books with pages dog-eared and tear stains belonging to the wife. i actually bought the copy of "walking on eggshells" and I keep it as an important reminder.

you know I think I actually wrote this up in my diary. I know the writing style is :spergin: but it's so I can recall what I saw exactly and play it back for myself more easily.

doodoodoo let me see

pick diary excerpt posted:

I went through their bookshelves. Most of the books had never been read. I could tell the books which had been read by the wear patterns on the books. Upstairs, near the children's bedrooms, there were bookshelves filled with children’s books on the bottom levels. On the top levels there were mostly children’s books interspersed with books about helping relationships. Some were about “love languages”. There was one I recognized. That book was “Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back when Someone You Care About has Borderline Personality Disorder” by Dr. Paul Mason. I have seen this book before. I opened this book, and it opened to “Chapter 8: Creating a Safety Plan”. There were uneven circles on the pages where the paper was crinkled from droplets which I assume were tears. I picked up that book and I bought it. I still have this book. The bookmark to that page is a laminated piece of scrap with what I think is coding shorthand on it. That chapter is about escaping from someone when you are afraid for your life, and she was reading it. There is a woman who had a wealthy husband, and there is no indication that he “beat” her. But he did collect weapons and she was afraid that he would murder her.

The man had two bookshelves in his downstairs area (that also had the survival gear and his multi-monitor desktop setup). There were many science fiction books and collections of DVDs of British comedies. Only one book there had heavy wear patterns. It was a copy of “The Fountainhead” by Ayn Rand.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pick posted:

I went to a garage sale for a big tech guy's home after he moved. lots of generic hypercapitalist bullshit and then a few sad "help me I want to die" books with pages dog-eared and tear stains belonging to the wife. i actually bought the copy of "walking on eggshells" and I keep it as an important reminder.

you know I think I actually wrote this up in my diary. I know the writing style is :spergin: but it's so I can recall what I saw exactly and play it back for myself more easily.

doodoodoo let me see

I think it's cool that you keep a diary that includes a snapshot into quiet suburban hell.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just realized that sounded sarcastic because this is the internet but I'm being earnest, keeping a journal like that is a neat hobby (I guess that's what I'd call it?) and that's a neat if sad story to have written in it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I just realized that sounded sarcastic because this is the internet but I'm being earnest, keeping a journal like that is a neat hobby (I guess that's what I'd call it?) and that's a neat if sad story to have written in it

There's actually wayyyy more but it's a lot too identifiable and since the wife's innocent in it all (and I looked into her, she'd given up a really prestigious and good-for-the-world career to be this guy's housewife) I decided not to post it but yeah it was earth-shatteringly depressing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I think it's cool that you keep a diary that includes a snapshot into quiet suburban hell.

I kinda want to read more of Pick's diary now :ohdear:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Kazak posted:

is this loss

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pick posted:

There's actually wayyyy more but it's a lot too identifiable and since the wife's innocent in it all (and I looked into her, she'd given up a really prestigious and good-for-the-world career to be this guy's housewife) I decided not to post it but yeah it was earth-shatteringly depressing.

Unfortunately for her she too will get the guillotine

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I take really good care of my books and rarely reread so we can't rule out that he read everything once and then Ayn Rand a hundred times.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pick posted:

doodoodoo let me see

"There were uneven circles on the pages where the paper was crinkled from droplets which I assume were tears."

This but sounds like a melodramatic piece of fiction. It could be true but I just can't make myself believe it.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ramc posted:

is this loss

:colbert:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Oh yeah I think we can all agree that part's totally bullshit, I just don't think that's quite what this post was getting at:

ah i misunderstood that part

Kazak posted:

Apparently the original was an art piece. According to this website the design was stolen by china for actual use in a park.

https://metro.co.uk/2010/08/16/retractable-spikes-installed-on-park-benches-to-deter-lazy-bums-480903/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ramc posted:

is this loss

Of testicles, possibly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

This but sounds like a melodramatic piece of fiction. It could be true but I just can't make myself believe it.

I’ve posted pics of the book before I’ll see if I can find it, it happened last summer. I dunno man, a lot of people cry more than you think. I took other photos of the sale on my phone also but not as many as I should have.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

I don't know man it fits really well with the dead-inside wife of my old CEO that I mentioned so it seems plausible to me.

Then again most of the poo poo that happened at that company was pretty unbelievably ridiculous and hosed. For example his ex-wife still worked at the company, as the head of one department, while his new wife was the head of sales (previously she was a waitress). He'd make all the employees come over to his mansion periodically to ride around in his speedboats and generally pretend to be his friends since he didn't have more than like one friend outside of work. His weird gremlin-like brother would randomly show up sometimes, get drunk and sexually harass the lady employees. His other brother was the commander of American forces in Afghanistan until Obama personally fired him. This is all barely even scratching the surface of the insane bullshit that happened at that company.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What’s funny is you can imagine him as the kind of guy uttterly dismissive and contemptuous of hallmark channel movies, completely unaware that he’s living in one

Peoples lives are way more interesting than they initially appear

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pick posted:

doodoodoo let me see

And those heavy wear signs on "the fountainhead" were semen stains.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Isn't 'working in retirement' an oxymoron.

'Can't afford to retire
No choice'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

I Don't feel like I maybe should even stay engaged with this, but they library might be miles from where they can safely sleep, across unsafe streets in inclement weather.

Also charging ports are finite and you may need to babysit it to make sure it isn't stolen.

It's just... an incredibly privileged position to not even see how these things are incredibly burdensome

Well clearly they just need to sleep closer to the library safety be damned. BOOTSTRAP UP