Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Peanut3141 posted:

Aye, could also be better. Kid only had a brief dalliance with Sarah & Duck. That show was amazing.

Team Umi-Zoomi is fun. Catchy theme song too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Peg + Cat is pretty great.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Epicurius posted:

Ugh, the Norwegian voiceover of the theme song is so bad. Horribly off-key.
Still better than Blaze though. :argh:

Buncha grog parents up in here. :kimchi:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I'm not saying we all got old watching Grey playing this game over the years, but, welp.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Epicurius posted:

I sing along to my kids great annoyance, “no daddy! No more noise”

...I have an excellent singing voice tyvm.

Relating back to this thread, when I was a kid I watched “victory at sea” with my dad and ate that poo poo up.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Relating back to this thread, when I was a kid I watched “victory at sea” with my dad and ate that poo poo up.

:same: Haven't seen it in years but the theme is playing through my head as I type.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yup, miss you early History Channel.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Mr Rodgers neighborhood and the ring of the Nibelung opera on PBS, good times.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
You all wanna feel old, I remember reading some of Grey Hunters stuff when I was in high school! :corsair:

Also I just realized I'm an idiot, I'm in a thread with dudes/dudettes who enjoy military history stuff and I was stationed for a year an a half in Pensacola with its cool Aviation Museum and didn't take any pictures of anything. They had some cool displays for American carrier aviation and a fair amount of Japanese military stuff. Whoops :saddowns:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Flavius Aetass posted:

Peg + Cat is pretty great.

Truth

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey Hunter posted:

Pj masks has been skipped for now, muppet babies doesn't seem to be airing over here.
At least they are not bloody Peppa pig.

The gfm has now hit, £800. You are all mad. But thanks.

I've been looking into upgrades, graphics cards don't seem to have moved in the last few years, so my current card is still holding it's own. I am wondering about a 27 inch moniter, but I'm not sure on a 1920 or a 2560. I'm not sure how my computer would cope with the increase.
I am thinking I can get a three moniter setup though!

To many bloody options!

Just don't buy an Nvidia card for the next couple weeks, their new line is apparently to be announced within days, hopefully we'll see some price drops on the current gen stuff to go with it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

PittTheElder posted:

Just don't buy an Nvidia card for the next couple weeks, their new line is apparently to be announced within days, hopefully we'll see some price drops on the current gen stuff to go with it.

Yeah, I've heard that, but I'm running a 960, and I'm not sure if the jump to a 1060 would help much.

I guess I'll see what the prices do in the next couple of months - the monitor is a go I think, along with a mike stand and pop filter.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, I've heard that, but I'm running a 960, and I'm not sure if the jump to a 1060 would help much.

I guess I'll see what the prices do in the next couple of months - the monitor is a go I think, along with a mike stand and pop filter.

If you don't mind gamer aesthetic check out 1440 G-sync monitors, like Acer XB271HU. Generally IPS screen tech is the one to get.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Of course my video card decided to die 2 days ago and I just couldnt wait. At least Micro Center was cool enough to price match Newegg, and if the price really plummets I think they will adjust for a month

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the 1080 release was any indication, between AI and crypto it's going to be months before you're going to get a card near MSRP, potentially longer if you don't want a reference blower.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
How's your RAM status? I can imagine some of these games being RAM hogs even if they're not especially CPU/GPU stressing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chuu posted:

If the 1080 release was any indication, between AI and crypto it's going to be months before you're going to get a card near MSRP, potentially longer if you don't want a reference blower.

I don't even want a 1180 or whatever it winds up being called, I just want a 1060 for cheaper.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I could see these games eating more cpu than being ram hogs. Lots of calculations run on relatively small amounts of numbers. Cache hogs, perhaps?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Use the money to preorder the new cards then resell them to gamers with loose wallets the month after release for a 50% return on your investment.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Truk is once more lit by the light of burning landing ships.

Manus puts up some heavy flak.

The air force helps at Truk.

Here comes another wave.

Get your asses ashore!

Time to start grinding away again!

I'm keeping up a steady rain of bombs.

We see a dogfight over Burma.

I break 70,000 points today! Party time!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

11 August 1944

Three more German minesweepers bite the dust in France: M-27 mined in the Gironde, M-84 scuttled at Le Havre, and M-384 scuttled at Nantes

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Here is my new series

Close Combat - Mega campaign.

This will be random, so no thread- basically when my RPG group can't meet I'll record some videos and drip feed them out.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Pj masks has been skipped for now, muppet babies doesn't seem to be airing over here.
At least they are not bloody Peppa pig.

Peppa Pig seems like it might be a little grim for the kiddo

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Awesome! I wish there was a more modern eastern front game - sadly Cross of Iron is basically just the original CC3.

A point about the difficulty settings - I may be wrong but if your intent was to have the hardest possible difficulty settings, I think you set the sliders backwards. I think they're basically "how poorly supplied this side is going to be" re: unit quality and availability not "your troops will be -this- good", so you would want 'Elite' for yourself and 'Recruit' for the AI.

edit: Yeah, it's like I described in section 8.3 of the manual.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 12, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Grey Hunter posted:

Here is my new series

Close Combat - Mega campaign.

This will be random, so no thread- basically when my RPG group can't meet I'll record some videos and drip feed them out.

YOU HAVE A YOUTUBE CHANNEL? Why am I just now finding this? Seriously man, setup a patreon

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

habeasdorkus posted:

They named a ship Sinko Maru, what did they think was going to happen?
It was a ship 'liberated' from the Philippines, along with Uno Maru, Dosu Maru, Turesu Maru, Kuwaturo Maru, and Seisu Maru.

Grey Hunter posted:

Oh God, I've missed a trick. I could have been selling command positions like the British army intended!

Lucky ships $2 a pop. $5 a carrier and $10 for me to not get them sunk!
How much to pay to sink someone else's ship?

edit: For attacking Manus: Is there any way to land troops on the non-occupied side of the island and have them march for a week to get to the battle? You would lose far fewer ships and troops and supplies. Would landing on the other side require some fancy ship routing so they don't get hit by the costal guns while approaching? This is a total grognardy WITP thing.

Also, there were no engineer losses. Are there IJA Engineers there to take out the forts?

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 12, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CannonFodder posted:

edit: For attacking Manus: Is there any way to land troops on the non-occupied side of the island and have them march for a week to get to the battle? You would lose far fewer ships and troops and supplies. Would landing on the other side require some fancy ship routing so they don't get hit by the costal guns while approaching? This is a total grognardy WITP thing.

It doesn't matter what side you land on the island from. For movement on land it sometimes matters what hex side you enter from but when going from sea to land it's just whether you are in the hex or not. If the island had more than one hex, though, you could land in an undefended hex and then walk to the base.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

TehKeen posted:

Awesome! I wish there was a more modern eastern front game - sadly Cross of Iron is basically just the original CC3.

A point about the difficulty settings - I may be wrong but if your intent was to have the hardest possible difficulty settings, I think you set the sliders backwards. I think they're basically "how poorly supplied this side is going to be" re: unit quality and availability not "your troops will be -this- good", so you would want 'Elite' for yourself and 'Recruit' for the AI.

edit: Yeah, it's like I described in section 8.3 of the manual.

Dammit!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Look on the bright side, 7 December is coming up soon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Screw it. I might restart. Down the game audio a bit and fix the difficulty.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Grey Hunter posted:

Screw it. I might restart. Down the game audio a bit and fix the difficulty.

World War II Part IV

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

McNally posted:

World War II Part IV

At which point does it devolve into sticks and stones?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm serious about taking this island!

Continue the rain of death!

Likewise.

I have plenty of death to go around.

This is world war II, there is no shortage after all.

I bag another Liberator!

BANZAI!
This seems to have worked, I'll give them some time to reorganise then hit them again.

Now that is a pretty formation.

There is finally some movement on at Manus! It cost me a bit, but one those forts are down, I should be able to wipe the bastards out!

We confirm an armoured cruiser today.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Your forces at Manus are out of supply, Grey.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

RZApublican posted:

Your forces at Manus are out of supply, Grey.

I know, they keep shooting my supply ships.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, if you wait to reorganize, you improve your assault value... but, they can rebuild forts. If you attack immediately, it's with disorganized troops, but maybe you bust the last level of forts. Is there a good rule of thumb for which to do? I seem to recall you having some success in the first WitP thread with just relentless shock attacks and drat the torpedoes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

We confirm an armoured cruiser today.

A Heavy Cruiser, not an armored cruiser!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You must've chewed through most of the production run of the P-66 by now

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A Heavy Cruiser, not an armored cruiser!

Silly brits and their armored cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

12 August 1944

Two more German minesweepers: M-468 off Namsos, Norway, likely to a drifting mine, and M-370 off Royan, France, to RAF Mosquitoes. Two Russian minesweepers, T-118 and T-114, both formerly American, are torpedoed by U-365 in the Kara Sea.