Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

blarzgh posted:

Brutal self own, here. I'm glad you're getting an attorney.

That doesn't apply. "Boise Cascade Home & Land Corp. v. Division of New Jersey Real Estate Com. in Dep't of Ins., 121 N.J. Super. 228" strongly rejects the idea that activity of employees falls under the exemption and thats stood since the 70's. Their actions wouldn't even pass under the earlier weaker decisions about the matter. The exemption applies to the bonafide owner not to employees of the owner. Even if the the owner is involved, employees that are also involved have to be licensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stop

Stop

Stop

You are not a lawyer.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like you should listen to the lawyers, they are very helpful but will only tell you once.

E: the fact that everyone is calling you crazy is a bad sign.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

euphronius posted:

Don’t read court cases.

You literally do not have the training to understand them.

Hey come on now that's part of the entertainment.

I do like reading indictments when posted on local news for fun.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

euphronius posted:

Don’t read court cases.

You literally do not have the training to understand them.
Hahaha, what the f*ck (excuse my language)? Are the cases not in English? Were they not written with words contained in a dictionary? What "TRAINING" does he need to understand them, exactly?

It makes me absolutely sick when lawyers try to defend their cottage industry by claiming that the common man can't understand case law. It's called common law for a reason -- it's meant for the common man to understand, not to be shielded by a protectionist guild of elitist pricks. If he's dug as deeply as he says he has into the issue, I'm sure he has SOME understanding of it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is this how those sovereign citizen guys get started?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hahaha, what the f*ck (excuse my language)? Are the cases not in English? Were they not written with words contained in a dictionary? What "TRAINING" does he need to understand them, exactly?

It makes me absolutely sick when lawyers try to defend their cottage industry by claiming that the common man can't understand case law. It's called common law for a reason -- it's meant for the common man to understand, not to be shielded by a protectionist guild of elitist pricks. If he's dug as deeply as he says he has into the issue, I'm sure he has SOME understanding of it.

I mean sure you can read the court cases and understand the words, but I highly doubt the average person understands enough about law theory and practice to actually comprehend how court rulings occur.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

SickZip posted:

My main actual legal argument from before I decided I should just hand it off:

-Contract is void by illegality. Contract as written is in noncompliance with NJ Real Estate Law. Contract would only be legal if both parties fell under the exemption and they don't
-Plaintiff's cannot collect damages due to the doctrine of clean hands. They committed fraud by omission by not disclosing material defects in the house, of their agents holding of a real estate license. They also committed fraud, both in the common law and consumer fraud act manner sense, in an entire litany of other ways
-Estoppel since the Plaintiff made several material claims about the property they later demonstrably reversed themselves on after I had taken actions based on their original claims
-A bunch of other stuff

The Sherman Antitrust Stuff was mainly for context on what a bunch of pieces of poo poo they are and how I'm pretty happy now that they're going to get owned on this because they greedily tried to push a case they shouldn't have. For awhile I was trying to think of a way I could slip in the "RE NEW JERSEY TAX SALES
CERTIFICATES ANTITRUST LITIG" connection to try to prejudice the judge. While it did have relevant matters (characterization of the relationship between the 2 as employee/employer), I decided that would probably come across as kind of transparent maneuver that might piss off the judge and should be left to someone who knows judge's temperaments and that kind of nonsense

I graduated law school a bunch of time ago and haven't practiced in a long time but I did once pass the bar in New Jersey, so here's some advice from a formerly NJ-qualified attorney:

lol

Adar fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 10, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

I take it you've never tried to actually read a court case. If you know the proper vocabulary, you can figure out the general ideas of the case, but it's still difficulty to follow unless you are a professional. There's a lot of vital context you will be missing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also ianal but i do read a lot of history and that is not why it's called 'common law'

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also ianal but i do read a lot of history and that is not why it's called 'common law'

if it's written down in a statute book then it isn't common law

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SickZip posted:

That doesn't apply. "Boise Cascade Home & Land Corp. v. Division of New Jersey Real Estate Com. in Dep't of Ins., 121 N.J. Super. 228" strongly rejects the idea that activity of employees falls under the exemption and thats stood since the 70's. Their actions wouldn't even pass under the earlier weaker decisions about the matter. The exemption applies to the bonafide owner not to employees of the owner. Even if the the owner is involved, employees that are also involved have to be licensed.

pop quiz: explain, in your own words, the importance of the word "lot" to that decision

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

pop quiz: explain, in your own words, the importance of the word "lot" to that decision

His counterparty is going to make a "lot" of money

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Alchenar posted:

if it's written down in a statute book then it isn't common law

i was responding to the guy who said 'common law' was called that because it was supposed to be understand by commoners

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i was responding to the guy who said 'common law' was called that because it was supposed to be understand by commoners

Sorry, I was expanding on your point rather than contradicting.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

lmao

Vargatron posted:

I mean sure you can read the court cases and understand the words, but I highly doubt the average person understands enough about law theory and practice to actually comprehend how court rulings occur.

lol

fool_of_sound posted:

I take it you've never tried to actually read a court case. If you know the proper vocabulary, you can figure out the general ideas of the case, but it's still difficulty to follow unless you are a professional. There's a lot of vital context you will be missing.

lol

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lol

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's good someone is finally telling Soothing Vapors how the law works

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Oh God

Someone tell this guy about how he should try to plead benefit of clergy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I hate it when I have to get my boss to come down and do poo poo because employees can’t act as agents of their employers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vargatron posted:

Theoretically there's nothing stopping a random smart person from putting in the work on their own to get a legal edumacation.

In practice though nobody who thinks they're qualified to do complex litigation pro se is ever the sort of person to have done that.

What law school teaches, theoretically, is how to spot valid issues, distinguish them from invalid issues, and then fit arguments together in a coherent way. Then hopefully while practicing you learn which arguments will actually work and which won't persuade.

Pro se litigants never do that kind of analytical seiving so they always kitchen sink it and have to hope that they get lucky.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Theoretically there's nothing stopping a random smart person from putting in the work on their own to get a legal edumacation.

In practice though nobody who thinks they're qualified to do complex litigation pro se is ever the sort of person to have done that.

What law school teaches, theoretically, is how to spot valid issues, distinguish them from invalid issues, and then fit arguments together in a coherent way. Then hopefully while practicing you learn which arguments will actually work and which won't persuade.

Pro se litigants never do that kind of analytical seiving so they always kitchen sink it and have to hope that they get lucky.

That's true, but pro-se litigants who are lawyers tend to go off the rails as well.

I think the compounding element is the human tendency to insist that your circumstances are particular and unique when in reality there is nothing special about your life and the courts have seen it all a million times before.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Alchenar posted:

That's true, but pro-se litigants who are lawyers tend to go off the rails as well.

I think the compounding element is the human tendency to insist that your circumstances are particular and unique when in reality there is nothing special about your life and the courts have seen it all a million times before.

Yup. It's basically impossible for human beings to do that kind of evaluative sieving about their own life/circumstances/arguments.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vargatron posted:

That's right, you tell that ignoramus. But seriously I think pro se guy can handle this alone, he seems like a guy who loves to argue so he's as qualified as he needs to be.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alchenar posted:

yeah, coupled with that lawyers are probably not experts in whatever area of law they find themselves involved in and so they're just ordinary pro se people in that situation but with much less slack from the judge

like i'm not a criminal lawyer so if i get charged with a crime, i ain't doing myself any favors representing myself. i may be slightly better than the guy whose primary qualifications are a whole lotta law and order watching, but not by much

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SickZip, your dispute sounds like a big league case of fraud. Have you considered removal to federal court (where the big league cases belong)? Make sure to ask your attorney about this option, and hey, stay safe out there...

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Vox Nihili posted:

SickZip, your dispute sounds like a big league case of fraud. Have you considered removal to federal court (where the big league cases belong)? Make sure to ask your attorney about this option, and hey, stay safe out there...

this is a good idea. also throw in a RICO counterclaim, every district judge is looking for their shot to actually litigate one and your case sounds perfect

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EwokEntourage posted:

what no assumption of risk? no doctrine of laches? no appeal to the best interests of public policy? Wheres accord and satisfaction? gotta step your affirmative defense claims up son

did you plead any of those in your answer?

have you filed an answer?

Not yet, I've have to submit my answer on Monday though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

Marry me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soothing Vapors posted:

You do understand that the judge and opposing counsel are part of that protectionist guild of elitist pricks while the pro sec plaintiff is not? What do you think "protectionist" means in this context?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

baquerd posted:

You do understand that the judge and opposing counsel are part of that protectionist guild of elitist pricks while the pro sec plaintiff is not?

All the more reason to bring one's own wits to bear and deliver a stinging defeat to those gilded, prancing Harvard elitists.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

baquerd posted:

You do understand that the judge and opposing counsel are part of that protectionist guild of elitist pricks while the pro sec plaintiff is not? What do you think "protectionist" means in this context?

Right, which is why they (and the other lawyers in this thread) keep insisting that he hire one of their brethen. To them, it's like using scab labor since he's going around the guild.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

baquerd posted:

It means request a jury trial. Make those elitist bastards squirm while you bring the common law to the people!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

baquerd posted:

Yea but if you shout res ipsa loquitur three times before they stop you then you break their spell and they have to make a saving roll

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Dude, regulations I ran estate agents are tough for a reason. I'm surprised you haven't hit upon the federal fair debt collections practices act FDCPA yet. The unlicensed agent is trying to collect guy debt from you using misleading practices against statute 1692. You really do bed to remove this to federal court and bring an fdcpa claim.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hrrrrnnnn Jesus yes, this is the good poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hahaha

Yeah that’s what common law means. It’s Joe Average law.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lmao

lol

lol

lol

lol

Yes!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My vapors are soothed.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SickZip posted:

TLDR, but I'll ask you this: why would the statute create an exemption that a Court said would never apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
By this thread’s logic only attorneys should be allowed to post in the SCOTUS thread because no one else is qualified to understand the sacred relics that are the musings of our judicial overlords.

I support this notion. That thread is garbage.