Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the only reasonable solution is to make a different stellaris game to match every of the previous titles. ck in space, eu in space, viccy in space, hoi in space, sengoku in space

im a good ideas guys, plz hire me wiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If the next major announcement isn't Vicky 3 I will also accept a good Cold War or Bronze Age game but that's about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've invaded all of those ages with my stellaris mushrooms, there's no reason you can't too

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

There's a reason why there's an ''Outside Context'' achievement.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've been playing the Star Trek: New Horizons mod, and something has been bugging me. Is there a mod that will let you arm science ships, or use military ships for exploration/surveying? Ideally I could just slap modules for science or construction or guns on whatever hull I want, but I'm annoyed that I can't use the Enterprise to actually science things.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Truga posted:

Oh, I don't know how I missed that sorry :v:

Well, here's hoping we do get that customization option for top bar, I have 2560 pixels, currently the entire top bar is only like half the screen :v:

The dream would be a UI rework to make it support at least 1080 properly as a baseline. There's just so much unnecessary scrolling. But even with the current UI getting rid of tiles and overhauling the economy is more than good enough.

xgp15a-ii posted:

When I first started playing, I only wanted to play on 1000 star maps. Bigger is better right?

What do you folks think?

I think if you could bump up the amount of income you get from space-based resources in a scaling way with tech or time (which is loving hard to do modding wise) the combat mechanics of 2.0 would play fantastic on tiny 100-50 star maps. Just small knife fights where every single mineral rich system really matters, manouvering is important and you're unlikely to ever have enough planets to need sectors unless you're winning already.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 10, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've been playing the Star Trek: New Horizons mod, and something has been bugging me. Is there a mod that will let you arm science ships, or use military ships for exploration/surveying? Ideally I could just slap modules for science or construction or guns on whatever hull I want, but I'm annoyed that I can't use the Enterprise to actually science things.

Anything that gets you sensor range will let you use military ships to explore, though not survey.

The military dynamics of Stellaris (and 4x in general) don't generally favor star trekking your way across the universe unfortunately. I'd love having science cruisers at the start that are powerful but too expensive for military efficiency but they'd have to be crazy expensive since they'd have to lose to military ships decisively for cost. God help you if you lose one...

Unarmed science ships can also be safely ignored diplomatically but armed (and strong enough to be dangerous) science cruisers are much more troublesome. To do it right you'd also need to rewrite exploration events to a certain degree.

Maybe a Hero mechanic would work better, something separate from leaders & fleets, a special ship that is very strong & can do science. Flashpoint events that only heroes can do/trigger? Competitive ones with more extensive RPG-ish mechanics where you interact with other heroes or special enemies? Just spitballing here.

*shrug*

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 10, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Benagain posted:

Okay so this most recent game I had two Fanatical purifiers to the north of me, who promptly went to forever war and ignored me. But on the opposite side of the galaxy two driven exterminators met, became friends, formed a federation, and are now destroying everything in their path.

As it should be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Truga posted:

i've invaded all of those ages with my stellaris mushrooms, there's no reason you can't too
New game is various historical grand strategy scenarios all of which involve alien invasions in the midgame

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
A paradox take on X-COM when?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AG3 posted:

I hope it supports bigger numbers, since currently when I have over 100k minerals saved up and more than 10k minerals coming in the numbers overflow out of the box. There's space for them on the top bar if they space out a little bit more, but they don't. Unless the economy changes makes numbers like that impossible, I guess.

Do you strictly.... need to know exactly how many you have at that point?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

New game is various historical grand strategy scenarios all of which involve alien invasions in the midgame

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1156789523

Not mid-game, but close enough :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Do you strictly.... need to know exactly how many you have at that point?

No, but the overflowing/overlapping looks ugly :v:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm not sure it'll actually matter. Once you get to high mineral flows you might be more concerned with your quantity of advanced materials instead.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That almost makes me want to reinstall HoI4.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that the focus tree puts "abolish time" and "establish newspaper" on the same level.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I got to the end game crisis for the first time and the Contingency didn't do much, they conquered a couple of systems, barely moved their ships and I steamrolled them pretty quickly.

Are they bugged or something? I reset the game but it didn't seem to have an effect.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Elman posted:

So I got to the end game crisis for the first time and the Contingency didn't do much, they conquered a couple of systems, barely moved their ships and I steamrolled them pretty quickly.

Are they bugged or something? I reset the game but it didn't seem to have an effect.

I actually had a very similar experience. I looked it up, and apparently 2.1.2 has a bug that causes the Contingency to stall out. It seems to be an issue with their construction ships not expanding outwards, which means the fleets will conquer a system and then defend it into perpetuity while they wait for construction ships to consolidate the gain. Reverting to 2.1.1 might resolve the issue.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Elman posted:

All the crisis since the game first came out have been bugged to some degree. Every time they almost get them working, a major DLC comes out that introduces all sorts of fun new bugs that cripple the various AI's involved.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kaal posted:

I actually had a very similar experience. I looked it up, and apparently 2.1.2 has a bug that causes the Contingency to stall out. It seems to be an issue with their construction ships not expanding outwards, which means the fleets will conquer a system and then defend it into perpetuity while they wait for construction ships to consolidate the gain. Reverting to 2.1.1 might resolve the issue.

Earlier this morning, over on the Paradox forums, Jamor posted that they had created a fix for crisis not expanding issue for 2.1.2 but they are testing it internally to make sure it doesn't break anything else.

With any luck testing will go smoothly and we'll have a fix before long.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-1-2-patch-is-now-live-checksum-170f.1113782/&sdpDevPosts=1

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've been reading up on the hoi focus trees and id like to request a similar system in stellaris. tyvm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Anything that gets you sensor range will let you use military ships to explore, though not survey.

The military dynamics of Stellaris (and 4x in general) don't generally favor star trekking your way across the universe unfortunately. I'd love having science cruisers at the start that are powerful but too expensive for military efficiency but they'd have to be crazy expensive since they'd have to lose to military ships decisively for cost. God help you if you lose one...

Unarmed science ships can also be safely ignored diplomatically but armed (and strong enough to be dangerous) science cruisers are much more troublesome. To do it right you'd also need to rewrite exploration events to a certain degree.

Maybe a Hero mechanic would work better, something separate from leaders & fleets, a special ship that is very strong & can do science. Flashpoint events that only heroes can do/trigger? Competitive ones with more extensive RPG-ish mechanics where you interact with other heroes or special enemies? Just spitballing here.

*shrug*

It gets kinda weird when for example a science ship triggers the worm admiral event and you can’t “just kill him” despite being in an unarmed ship. Now with experimental navigation your combat ships may not even have a route to the system.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Stellaris 2.2: Like tears in rain. Tile to die

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Like tiles in the rain.

Otherwise yes.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

All that clicking gone, like tiles in the rain.

Yes.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 10, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

All that clicking gone, like tiles in the rain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Davincie posted:

i've been reading up on the hoi focus trees and id like to request a similar system in stellaris. tyvm

Something like a mix between that and the custom ideas in eu4 might be nice. I really don't like pre-set trees like in HOI4, but they make sense within the historical confines of the game, like I get that maybe it's a bit unrealistic for Canada to click a few buttons and become an anarcho-communist state. But in Stellaris every country is custom and I already feel like the unity tree picks are too limiting yet also too samey.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dammit you guys I did the whole speech *checks* ...over 100 pages ago...

oh god I'm wasting my life

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I'm sorry I'm still waiting on the Dominions mod someone promised a few pages ago.

Gonna summon chatots and kit them out to take on the enigmatic fortress.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Armed Science Vessels have been tried as mods under previous patches, but such a ship did not shoot, regardless of the guns put on it or it's stance. Whether that is still true is unknown-I've seen no such mod for many, many patches.

People used to use corvettes as heavy scouts to get some basic ideas on where things and forces were, and to target scouting for planets. This was blocked in the 2.0 switchover-now only Science Vessels can do that sort of thing, and it must be manned to do so. You WILL pay that 200 Energy and leader space and LIKE it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Log082 posted:

I'm sorry I'm still waiting on the Dominions mod someone promised a few pages ago.

good news: the resource revamp makes it even easier to make units that run on arbitrary magical resources

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Log082 posted:

I'm guessing chatot is a term from a strategy game I'm unaware of but all I can think of is the bird Pokemon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Chayot :)

quote:

In the Book of Daniel, four living creatures surround the white throne upon which the Ancient of Days sits Daniel 7:7-13. This white throne is also referenced in the final judgement in Revelation 20:11-15. The four beasts differ from the four beasts in Ezekiel chapter 1 and Revelation 4:6–8 in that there are a lion, a calf, an eagle and a man faced creature. The beasts have four wings, as the beasts in Ezekiel have eight wings, as contrasted with the beasts in Revelation which each have six wings. The first beast has its wings removed, it is stood upright, and it is given the mind of a man. The second beast, which resembles a bear, has three ribs in its mouth and is told to ‘Get up and eat your fill of flesh!’ The third beast, which resembles a leopard, is described as having four heads, like the beasts in Ezekiel and Revelation. This beast, which is given authority to rule, closely matches the description of the Dragon, the "beast out of the sea" in Revelation chapter 13, which is also given authority. The final beast is a mechanical beast with large iron teeth. It crushes and devours its victims, and tramples underfoot whatever is left. This beast most resembles the winepress spoken of in Revelation 14:18-20.

God's pokemon are p hosed up!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Chayot :)

God's pokemon are p hosed up!

Same thing. Or close enough.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just got the Horizon Signal event, should I do it? It seems weird and scary :(

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

How are u posted:

I just got the Horizon Signal event, should I do it? It seems weird and scary :(

Everything will be all right, embrace the worm

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How are u posted:

It's not scary. Fear of the unknown is understandable, but the Worm is not unknown. It's been inside us all the while. The Worm would never hurt you. The Worm loves you. Love it back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How are u posted:

Do it, the writing is great. There are outs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can progress the whole worm chain without things getting too crazy by just taking the not crazy options, then kill the worm when it shows up to force the issue.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

How are u posted:

Eh, it's a pretty long chain for a Soundgarden reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sectors should be at the top of the “planets and sectors” screen, not at the bottom. Dunno if a dev reads this thread but it’s a simple change that would greatly help UX.