Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Apparently Lester has a nickname this year. It’s not a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

There's like two Cubs with good nicknames this year, everybody else is phoning it in pretty hard.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Miz Kriss posted:

Mo?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

“Lefthander” :what:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Miz Kriss posted:

“Lefthander” :what:

How come baseball doesn't appeal to the youths???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Should've gone with "Regression"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

"Bunt Man"

really disappointed that Black Belt Kyle Hendicks didn't go with "Cobra Kyle"

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I'm hoping everyone is back in a couple weeks to get some September time in and be ready for the playoffs. I feel like the Cubs have been pretty lucky the last 3-4 years with avoiding major injuries, seems like it has all caught up with us this year.

To be fair it's not like anyone's gone down the worse case scenario of needing TJS, so even though the injuries are kind of adding up they're still not that horrible individually. Certainly Bryant's been filled in for nicely, and Morrow's absence is worrisome but there are at least a few decent closer options. The big missing piece is an effective Darvish.

I mean Chatwood falling out of the rotation is also troublesome but at least Montgomery is more effective and he's not bitching now that he's a starter.

Niwrad posted:

Also it's kind of amazing how well Theo did building up the young talent on the roster and then just torpedoing their window with terrible signings and trades.

The team will be paying Heyward, Darvish, and Chatwood $55 million next season! They'll likely have to pay Quintana over $10 million next year in arbitration while Jimenez is tearing it up for the Sox. It's tough to say anything negative about him because of what he's done, but good lord these past 2 seasons have been really bad from the front office.

Niwrad posted:

I'm fine with trading prospects to win now but Eloy is a stud and should have gotten you an ace in return. Not a #4 on an OK deal. A package with Eloy and Cease today could probably net you DeGrom.

The Chatwood thing is weird because I don't know how you can predict a guy just completely blowing up. But Quintana showed signs he was regressing with the White Sox.

As for Chatwood, I think they should just shut him down for the year. Give him some phantom DL stint and let him get his mind right for next season. You can't use him in games and you're down a roster spot till September (with some important games coming up).

Yeah but we've gone over this before: Jimenez isn't going to be pitching for anyone and Cease won't be ready anytime soon, we possibly could've gotten Verlander last year but the salary is an issue because the team's been at or above the tax limit the past few seasons, and in order to have traded those two for deGrom when his price was lower last year we'd have needed a crystal ball or time machine.

Sydin posted:

Quintana isn't in arbitration, he has two $10.5m team options for each of 2019 and 2020.

e. The Cubs will honestly probably save on arb for most of their arb eligible guys:
Javy: Will make a strong amount given his performance this year, but it'll only be Arb 1 so it won't be too crazy.
Bryant: Spent most of the year injured or ineffective, and he already got a historic Arb 1 deal. I doubt he gets that much of a bump.
LaStella: :lol:
Russell: Has been garbage this year and probably won't get that much of an Arb 2 raise either
Schwarber: Only hitting Arb 1 and really hasn't been all that good this year, although certainly better than last year. He'll probably get ~$3-4m tops.

Hey, I like Tommy! :saddowns:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

While I appreciate that Bote’s nickname is just Boat, I was really hoping for Bote McBoteface

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atomizer posted:

Hey, I like Tommy! :saddowns:

La Stella's Players' Weekend jersey name?

LA STELLA

:colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He's also a straight bench bat with zero defensive upside and little to no power. He is definitely useful to the club but my point was that those aren't attributes that net you high arb figures

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:siren: NEW GUY :siren:

https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1027932255300321280

Hmm, wonder if he's any g-

:barf:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heyward's Players Weekend jersey name is J-HEY.

C'mon, man, half your reputation in Chicago is due to that speech during the Game 7 rain delay, go with something like RAIN MAN.

Oh, my God, that BB/9. :stonk:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

C'mon, man, half your reputation in Chicago is due to that speech during the Game 7 rain delay, go with something like RAIN MAN.

Chatwood has a new bestie.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Miz Kriss posted:

While I appreciate that Bote’s nickname is just Boat, I was really hoping for Bote McBoteface

In retrospect, we probably should've tweeted this to him and he might've gone along with it rather than assuming he could read our minds! :downs:

Timby posted:

La Stella's Players' Weekend jersey name?

LA STELLA

:colbert:

Strictly business, baby!

Sydin posted:

He's also a straight bench bat with zero defensive upside and little to no power. He is definitely useful to the club but my point was that those aren't attributes that net you high arb figures

I know, and I appreciate having him on the team for that.

Timby posted:

"RAIN MAN" is fantastic, but see above about actually communicating clever nicknames to players before they finalize them for Players' Weekend.

Sydin posted:

Hmm, wonder if he's any g-

:barf:

Timby posted:

Your Taint posted:

Chatwood has a new bestie.

I was gonna say, he studied at the Chatwood School for WalkingPitching.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Yeah but we've gone over this before: Jimenez isn't going to be pitching for anyone and Cease won't be ready anytime soon, we possibly could've gotten Verlander last year but the salary is an issue because the team's been at or above the tax limit the past few seasons, and in order to have traded those two for deGrom when his price was lower last year we'd have needed a crystal ball or time machine.

You don't just trade elite prospects for garbage just because they don't fit in your window. I get that they needed help right away. I'm simply saying that the help they got was bad.

You should be judged for what kind of value you bring back in a trade. The Cubs gave up an elite prospect and a good starting pitching prospect for a #4 starter. And that whole "his contract is good" isn't even the case anymore. $10.5 million for a #4 isn't some huge bargain.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Atomizer posted:

In retrospect, we probably should've tweeted this to him and he might've gone along with it rather than assuming he could read our minds! :downs:

I did tweet it to the Cubs asking what the over/under on having that nickname be on his jersey for player’s weekend, but it turns out the fan Q&A session for Bote was on instagram, which I don’t have. :downs:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Just tell me nobody is using their actual name? Maybe I missed that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

La Stella.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

tadashi posted:

La Stella and Darvish, if you wanna be pendanic

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Timby posted:

Mike Trout has dibs on any and all weather jerseys.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the st. louis post-dispatch headline is Baseball Roundup: Cubs Win as Holland Walks in Decisive Run

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

So it turns out La Stella isn’t boring
https://twitter.com/carriemuskat/status/1027944211801403392?s=21

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

the st. louis post-dispatch headline is Baseball Roundup: Cubs Win as Holland Walks in Decisive Run

Not that we, as a fanbase, hold grudges or anything.

Ask me about Johnny Cueto.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

So he forgot two years in a row?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

So he forgot two years in a row?

Maybe he was off pouting in New Jersey about something again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
As somebody else who is having mental health difficulties as a result of working for the Cubs I have a lot of retroactive sympathy for Tommy

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I thought he had a nickname last year, but I could be wrong.

EDIT!: Yeah, I’m wrong. Dammit Tommy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

David Bote is good and cool

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

David Bote is good and cool

Came here to post this

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bote!!!!!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yeah I think we're gonna be ok without KB for a while (not that I'm glad he's gone).

Also I'm highly amused at the recent trend of "beat the poo poo out of the guy who just won the game."

David Bote is my new favorite Cub (sorry Schwarbs)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Please rename the thread to “David Bote appreciation harbor” or something stupid like that

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How many grand slam jersey rip offs does almora have now?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1028849702190673920

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man, Might have to think about trading Kris Bryant this offseason. Can't position block Bote.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Get rid of Rizzo problem solved. Anyone can play 1B.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I actually think they'll play Bote at 2B and Javy at SS when Bryant gets back. Russell is kind of eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/titanicbaseball/status/1028843854580121600?s=21

• Locked thread