Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Honestly I think my favorite thing is that Marc Evan Jackson is clearly a super fan of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BizarroAzrael posted:

The swear filter on the podcast is oddly inconsistent, Marc repeatedly gets to declare himself "a naughty bitch"(understandable as it's one of the best uses of his voice ever) but they censored "Dress BENCH".

I want them to discuss how they always make Janet appear with a simple, obvious jump cut. I still find it funny now.
Funny enough, they missed one on a recent episode. After censoring “dress BENCH” once or twice they missed one and i heard the awful word. I still haven’t recovered

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I haven't recovered from one of the bits of interstitial music being way louder than the rest of the podcast and startling me!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget, did they say Dress Bitch on the show? I thought maybe that was why Marc gets to use the 'naughty bitch' line because he's quoting actual dialogue that he performed.

Also, it took me like 6 episodes of the podcast to realise the censor bits were actually Kristen's voice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I am irrationally curious who they're getting to be the guest for the last episode of season 1. It almost has to be Schur.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

howe_sam posted:

I am irrationally curious who they're getting to be the guest for the last episode of season 1. It almost has to be Schur.

Schur's who I'd want on the most probably, bring it back full circle and maybe get a few more tidbits on the twist, though that's been pretty thoroughly dissected there might be one more little wrinkle.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

howe_sam posted:

They pull a heel turn and replace Marc with Jason Manzoukas for the remainder of the podcast

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Thaddius the Large posted:

They pull a heel turn and replace Marc with Jason Manzoukas for the remainder of the podcast

WHAT'S UP JERKS!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Schur's who I'd want on the most probably, bring it back full circle and maybe get a few more tidbits on the twist, though that's been pretty thoroughly dissected there might be one more little wrinkle.

Also, whenever Schur is a podcast guest, there's a solid chance he'll go on a forty minute diatribe about the Yankees, and I'm always there for that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Honestly, I could see them doing something similar and have it be Marc himself as the guest from the cast, with Kristen or Maribeth Monroe or someone hosting.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, did they say Dress Bitch on the show?

They definitely did in the flashbacks. I can't remember whether Michael said it while talking to Eleanor about it in his office.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

On the most recent episode with the costumer, she talked about how they made entire bolts of fabric with the blue-and-yellow pattern. All so they could then sew unique costumes for everybody, based on their real clothes.

It's that kind of expense for a two-minute gag that make me love the show and wonder why more places aren't commissioning their own fabric.

That and the realization that Janet's uniform is based (in part) on awesome stewardesses, such a great interview!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jet Jaguar posted:

That and the realization that Janet's uniform is based (in part) on awesome stewardesses, such a great interview!

Yeah, as soon as she said that, I couldn't believe I didn't think of it myself.

I was surprised to learn that Michael's bow ties were sort of a last-minute decision, given how well they fit the character. The peacock feather one in the pilot is from a company near me, and its appearance on the show is easily the most I've ever liked their stuff.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

howe_sam posted:

At some point in the most recent one he said is was schur. Sounds like they've already recorded it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Super fun podcast today. I love that the VFX supervisor is named Niednagel, that he majored in Econ, and uses his kids to film pre-vis type stuff for the show. There's a bunch of good discussion about how the show's visual effects get made. Also Maribeth Monroe and Marc Evan Jackson are old friends so they get along like gangbusters.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Has the show talked about Rawls yet? It really feels like that's where it's going.

We all appear one day in a place that everyone tells us is good but where we are constantly suffering.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Nevvy Z posted:

Has the show talked about Rawls yet? It really feels like that's where it's going.

We all appear one day in a place that everyone tells us is good but where we are constantly suffering.
They mentioned him once. They have a professor at Berkeley as a philosophy consultant and I'm sure they have him on their mind. Personally, I expect more of a "smash the system, kill God" direction.

---

https://twitter.com/jenstatsky/status/1027290261662052352

Shockingly, the creators of the Good Place give a poo poo about suffering children!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nevvy Z posted:

They've name-dropped him, but I don't recall them explaining him yet.

Edit: :argh:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The first time I saw that fundraiser, one of the most recent donors was Jake Jortles. This morning, the most recent donor was comedy writer Megan Ganz. A star-studded fundraiser!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

howe_sam posted:

Also Maribeth Monroe and Marc Evan Jackson are old friends so they get along like gangbusters.

I loved their rapport. Her calling him "Jackson" the whole podcast was funny/cute to me for some reason too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's been over a decade since I last read Justice As Fairness, but iirc Rawls' core argument was that the most just society is the one that provides the most happiness to the people with the least.

On a side note, it always slightly bothered me that Chidi's central flaw is completely contrary to every philosopher I've ever met. They've all been very open and confident in which system of moral philosophy they think is best.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

We've got S3 episode titles!

The Good Place - Episode 3.01 - Everything Is Bonzer! Part 1

The Good Place - Episode 3.02 - Everything Is Bonzer! Part 2

The Good Place - Episode 3.03 - The Brainy Bunch

The Good Place - Episode 3.04 - The Cloning Of Agamemnon

The Good Place - Episode 3.05 - Jeremy Bearimy

The Good Place - Episode 3.06 - The Ballad Of Donkey Doug

The Good Place - Episode 3.07 - A Fractured Inheritance

The Good Place - Episode 3.08 - The Lizard And The Owl

The Good Place - Episode 3.09 - Don't Let The Good Life Pass You By

The Good Place - Episode 3.10 - Janet(s)

The Good Place - Episode 3.11 - The Book Of Dougs

The Good Place - Episode 3.12 - Chidi Sees The Time-Knife

The Good Place - Episode 3.13 - Pandemonium (Season Finale)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad we'll finally get the fully Donkey Doug expanded universe story we've all wanted.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a theme to these titles that I'm not seeing?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea that they're fucken awesome

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
fwiw, Pandemonium is the capital of Hell in Paradise Lost.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
The episode 12 title sounds like something straight out of Dune.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bonzer is Australian slang for ‘great’. :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Problematic Pigeon posted:

The episode 12 title sounds like something straight out of Dune.

Starting galactic jihads is extremely unethical. The jury is out on becoming a god-worm though.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The jury is out on becoming a god-worm though.

Leto II is the Doug Forcett of Arrakis.

The FroYo Must Flow.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Presumably 3.05 is based on Jeremy Bentham :lost: / Utilitarianism?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this is a bit random, but when I left the train station today, I saw a frozen yogurt place. I've never had frozen yogurt before so I decided to try it.

Michael was right on the money. It's just ... okay. Nothing particularly that made it stand out.

Which was, because of this goddamn show, a really amusing observation/experience and made it so much ... better? Let's go with 'better'.

On the topic of episode titles, 3.10 makes me go :eyepop:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

inthesto posted:

It's been over a decade since I last read Justice As Fairness, but iirc Rawls' core argument was that the most just society is the one that provides the most happiness to the people with the least.
Not quite. Rawls says that the just society is organized according to these three principles, which are ranked in order of importance, which means you satisfy the first principle as much as you can before you move on to the second, and so forth:

1. Everyone has a right to a set of equal basic liberties. So, as much freedom for everyone, insofar as their freedom is compatible with everyone else's freedom.

2. Fair equality of opportunity for positions in society that provide social and economic opportunities. So, jobs have to be open to everyone, and distributed on a non-discriminatory basis, and so on.

3. Economic inequality is justified only insofar as it is necessary to better the position of the worst off. So, everyone earns an equal amount of money, unless anyone (say, doctors) earning more than everyone else would be better for the worst-off people.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double nine posted:

this is a bit random, but when I left the train station today, I saw a frozen yogurt place. I've never had frozen yogurt before so I decided to try it.

Michael was right on the money. It's just ... okay. Nothing particularly that made it stand out.

Which was, because of this goddamn show, a really amusing observation/experience and made it so much ... better? Let's go with 'better'.

On the topic of episode titles, 3.10 makes me go :eyepop:

The line about froyo being humanity taking a great thing (ice cream) and making it slightly worse so we can have more of it, is bang on. I've never had frozen yogurt and thought "oh boy, I'm glad I didn't have ice cream instead".

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The_Doctor posted:

Bonzer is Australian slang for ‘great’. :3:

:( its spelled "bonza"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

:( its spelled "bonza"

let's just take any relatively genuine linguistic representation we can get ok :smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pronounced the same as Australier tho.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Given that recording of the podcast seems to be happening around filming of the third season I wonder if we can assume we will be seeing Mind St Clare again.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Glad to hear that Mike Schur is a peanut M&Ms fan. Plus, we learn the origin of his Twitter handle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Gaz-L posted:

The line about froyo being humanity taking a great thing (ice cream) and making it slightly worse so we can have more of it, is bang on. I've never had frozen yogurt and thought "oh boy, I'm glad I didn't have ice cream instead".

I genuinely prefer frozen yogurt. It has a better texture and tends to be less sweet. Good ( :haw: ) local places also make it with fattier cream, so you're not even missing out on richness if that's what you're after.

• Locked thread