Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Isn't that basically that one rear end in a top hat from the Ravenor books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

PantsOptional posted:

Can you do that to Troops? “If it isn’t my ancient enemy, Crambo the servo-skull!”

If it's a sentient servo-skull, it's probably not hard/completely out there for Crambo to become a sentient murder-servitor next time you see them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am excited to see the Eldar campaign, frankly. Gonna play the right Fire Dragon for the job of ruining everyone's day.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am excited to see the Eldar campaign, frankly. Gonna play the right Fire Dragon for the job of ruining everyone's day.

So far they have eldar corsair, ranger, and Warlock. But they have fusion guns though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The Eldar thing is like a year or two off form this point, right?

Also on the female space marine thing: I think Sisters of Battle fill that role quite nicely (and are cooler anyway). Besdies, do you really want female space marines with dudes like Fulgrim running around? I consider it mercy that they don't exist

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

In other words, you should be playing Crambo like Father Servo from Nier: Automata. He starts out as a pathetic servo-skull, but every time the party beats him that servo-skull acquires a newer, larger, and deadlier body until you have Crambo the Slaughter-class Cruiser coming after the group. If space combat's not your thing, then Crambo the Irradial Cogitator should also do the trick.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Also on the female space marine thing: I think Sisters of Battle fill that role quite nicely (and are cooler anyway). Besdies, do you really want female space marines with dudes like Fulgrim running around? I consider it mercy that they don't exist

Sisters of Battle almost never appear in the fluff or games and are fetishized all to hell. Why yes I would like the army that accounts for 90% of the game's press, advertising, and games to include women.

As for the Fulgrim remark, it's Slaanesh when written badly. You really think they stop at women?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I was already super excited for this game, but the moment I saw that Evil Sunz orks get +1d3 to piloting, but only if they're going as fast as possible, I knew that this was the game I had wanted FFG's RPGs to be. It just looks so drat fun.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Pictured: A character designed to make you go "Woah, that's badass, I want to be that :black101:"

Pictured: A character designed to make you got "Woah, that's hot, I want to gently caress that :fap:"

Not quite the same role.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I was already super excited for this game, but the moment I saw that Evil Sunz orks get +1d3 to piloting, but only if they're going as fast as possible, I knew that this was the game I had wanted FFG's RPGs to be. It just looks so drat fun.

Yea I can't believe that as much as I love FFG their first crack at this was just basically just Cthulhu in space but this one lets you be a White Scar with an Ork buddy trying to see who can get their vehicles to haul the most rear end while the Eldar Warlock you're working with just rants to the Commissar that you're both idiots

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You know I had plans for a campaign but I feel like I’m losing out if I don’t do Holy Terra’s Wacky Races now, with Servo Skull Crambo taking the place of Snidely Whiplash (of course he has a mustache) and his pet Rogue Psyker taking the place of Muttley.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I can't believe that as much as I love FFG their first crack at this was just basically just Cthulhu in space but this one lets you be a White Scar with an Ork buddy trying to see who can get their vehicles to haul the most rear end while the Eldar Warlock you're working with just rants to the Commissar that you're both idiots

TBF FFG didn't originate it. Black Industries came up with the system.

In regards to female marines while you can come up with explanations in the fluff to argue against it I don't see how that holds water compared to actual people wanting to play or paint female marines. If I ever GM this I don't see any reason not to house rule it and say that female marines have just always existed and no one really cares anymore because it's been thousands of years

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The emperor was just really into the big, oily, muscled boys who could live their lives in a special boys only club.

It is a mystery why he never had children the ordinary way.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

goatface posted:

The emperor was just really into the big, oily, muscled boys who could live their lives in a special boys only club.

It is a mystery why he never had children the ordinary way.

lookit this scrub who never heard of the Sensei Knights

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not my canon.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

goatface posted:

Not my canon.

Draco should be in everyone's canon.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

neaden posted:

Draco should be in everyone's canon.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Hremsfeld posted:

Pictured: A character designed to make you go "Woah, that's badass, I want to be that :black101:"

Pictured: A character designed to make you got "Woah, that's hot, I want to gently caress that :fap:"

Not quite the same role.

What if you want to be a greased up babe with a chainsword and want to gently caress a space marine terminator?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By the time you're wearing Terminator Armour there's literally no way to tell what the squishy organic core looks like anyway.

Which is my take on the matter. Everybody outside the Astartes have only ever seen Marines in power armour and assume they're all male. The Astartes themselves do not give a single gently caress about gender and use the same titles for everyone, which further contributes to outsiders misapprehension. It's not a secret or anything, they'd say if anybody asked, but nobody ever has.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Werix posted:

That's why you only ever see sanguinius in stained glass ( heroic sacrifice aside). It's never the Salamanders or the Raven Guard, who are in some ways huge departures from the norm.

I think all marines should have unsettling all black eyes or something to give humans the creeps. They should scare everyone. There should be some recruiting worlds that fear the coming of the sky beings who round up their young boys*, make them fight to the death, and keep the winners.

*unless you're C.S. Goto, then marines can be made from guardsmen.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I honestly don't see why there can't be female space marines as long as they come from some House Esher-like strain of abhumans.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

No doxx plz. :(

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It took mere minutes for my friend who has never touched a 40k ham in his life to decide that he wanted to play a partially cybernetically reconstructed Scion. We talked a little about gear and when I asked him what he was going to use in melee, his answer was “inferno pistol.”

:getin:

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
So Zaerothk and I just tried out character creation since I want to run a Danger 5 meets 40k mini campaign.

I have to say it is very daunting but it isn't Deathwatch bad. We both decided to use the packages for our tiers and he started as a Rogue Trader who had a fusion gun and I a Sororitas medic who uptiered.

I have to say if one wants to buy each skill and attribute through the other method. It'll be better with an excel sheet and spare time.

Also Hotshot Volleyguns are a thing and that is cool.

At least I got my feet wet so I know what to do for session zero.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hremsfeld posted:

I've seen this pose a million times in comics and gaming art without blinking, but that S-curve spine is disturbing AF when a real person involved.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I'm nearly done with the combat section. Most of my gaming is done play by post, so I've really been reading the game to see if it will be easy to run pbp, and I think it will.

The back and forth flow of combat will make updating combat from the GM perspective quicker. The removal of dodges and parries will also make combat quicker. For those without the books, combat is Marvel heroic style where a player goes first, then an NPC controlled by the GM, then a player who hasn't acted yet, etc.

They also went with a much more cinematic feel to combat. Ammo isn't tracked, its just assumed you always have ammo, until you get a combat complication and your gun is empty. "Reloads" are a resource spent on things like suppressing fire. Everyone can make multi-attacks right off the bat. You just add +2 difficulty to the test for every enemy past the first, roll your attack once, then compare that to each enemy's defense (with the stacking +2 included) and hit everyone who you exceed defense.

Also they finally unfucked shooting into melee. You don't get any negatives for shooting into melee. Only thing that happens is if you roll a 1 on the wrath dice and get a complication, you hit a random person in the melee instead. However, and aim action can be used for either a bonus to your attack roll, or to just negate the shooting into melee penalty. So no having to wait until you get target selection to hit poo poo in melee.

I'm just saying for me as a GM doing PBP, the thing about running combat that always slows down my updates is I might have to take an hour seeing what the players did, having NPCs act, rolling dodges and parries and all that poo poo. If I just have to update it one enemy action at a time, that'll be super quick.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I was so glad to see rules for shooting into melee because that came up when we were playing the quickstart and the way we houseruled it was basically the same as the way it ended up being.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Hremsfeld posted:

Not quite the same role.

You can argue that Repentia design is bad, but Repentia is basically the only SoB unit not in power armor.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

JcDent posted:

You can argue that Repentia design is bad, but Repentia is basically the only SoB unit not in power armor.

True, but even the Sisters of Battle themselves have armor designed for sex appeal.

Heels, for example, aren't the most functional footwear when fighting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The actual miniatures wear boots, except for Canoness Debbie Harry.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

moths posted:

The actual miniatures wear boots, except for Canoness Debbie Harry.

That's Veridyan, yeah?

The new model at least is a bit more subtle about having raised heels.

It's got a flat bottom, but boots don't have a straight, sloped front unless the heel is raised up inside. Normally boots are shaped more like a rounded L.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With her finest battle-corset laced tight over her power armour.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Explain the height difference by repainting all smol-marines as sisters.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

skull titties

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So they broke the emergency glass and advanced the storyline and are bringing back primarchs and such. Are they ever gonna do that with Primarchs #2 and #11?

I feel like that's something they're holding in reserve for like ten years from now when they've run out of primarchs to bring back and need the next glass to break in case of emergency...?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Cythereal posted:

Sisters of Battle almost never appear in the fluff or games and are fetishized all to hell. Why yes I would like the army that accounts for 90% of the game's press, advertising, and games to include women.

As for the Fulgrim remark, it's Slaanesh when written badly. You really think they stop at women?

Hey, I never said they weren't horribly mismanaged! :v:

SoBs are cool in DoW Soulstorm, 40k RPG and.... the Relic board game...? You gotta really dig, heh.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

While I don't exactly miss often-misguided CR-type systems, I do wish there was literally any more encounter balancing advice than "lol who knows". If anyone figures out some decent back-of-the-envelope math (X numbers of Elites, Y numbers of Adversaries for Z number of PCs), that would be fantastic. (Or if I managed to miss it or if it was tucked away in some weird corner of the book like Warp travel times are.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there much spaceship stuff? Like if you want a Rogue Trade + retinue?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Is there much spaceship stuff? Like if you want a Rogue Trade + retinue?

It's not as robust as it could be. There are only three ships, for example, and only six shipboard systems. Rogue Trader is a playable class and comes with a ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Hremsfeld posted:

It's got a flat bottom, but boots don't have a straight, sloped front unless the heel is raised up inside. Normally boots are shaped more like a rounded L.

Even my combat boots slope towards the leg. I think I would be very uncomfortable in L shaped boots unless they had excessive room in the toes, as my feet are pretty much a wedge until you hit toes. A lot of sabaton designs have a more significant sloped profile like that to give the plates space to articulate. Given the thickness of power armor, that's entirely reasonable.

I can't disagree that sisters can be a bit stripperific at times, but that art and model is mostly a badass in sensible shoes.

E: and my combat boots have like 3/4 of an inch higher heel than the sole, and were army surplus. I may be a bit defensive of the picture as it's one of my favorite pieces of 40k art, but I don't think heels are the place to take objection there.

Felime fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 12, 2018