Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Keep in mind I cut my teeth on the game during the tyrannical reign of the pump shotgun. Unsurprisingly I got sick of getting insta-capped by somebody who dropped 0.2 seconds faster than me and found a green pump and 50 shields while I scrambled to find literally any gun at all before dying.

Early fights can be fun and I've certainly came out on top of a fair few in my time, but being at the mercy of total randomness still just isn't appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I said. You hit the nail square on the head there. If only there were some way in this game for me to team up with people, then I'd do better. If only.

Plenty of different strategies to choose from to try and win, although I don't think boring internet sarcasm is one of them? I don't know, you're the strategist here, right?

Orange Sunshine posted:

with my strategy

:shrug:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That sucks. I love the scramble at the beginning. No one's had time to throw on full shields and gear up with their full arsenal, so you end up with a different sort of fights than you encounter later in the match.

:yeah:

I love how Tilted, to this day, is still a shitshow. It's not like, a :kingsley: shitshow like when they debuted it, but there's usually at least one person dropping at every building there, so it leads to some fun confrontations. I grenaded the absolute gently caress out of someone like, two seconds after I landed on L's cause I saw them over at jesus fish, I believe, and just haphazardly chucked my only grenades at them. Then I got killed while doing the salty emote on them, but that's the way she goes, bubs.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

John Murdoch posted:

My issue is that I find the opening minutes, where success or failure in fights comes entirely down to the roll of the dice on whether you find A) a weapon, ideally a GOOD weapon and B) shields or just six spawns in a row of only ammo to be the most tedious and uninteresting part of a match. Playing suicidally would just put me into my least favorite part of the game more often.

Rifts pretty much solve this issue. Land at a rift spot in range of a point of interest near the start of the bus route, there'll almost certainly be chests nearby then take the rift into the busy spot and start fighting. This gives you the option to bail out if you don't get any good weapons, or take any shields before you're at risk of being pushed by someone who didn't have to take shields. It also allows you to scout out the area, and land in a good position that suits the guns you got. If there's no rifts, then just walk it. Rift dice roll > chest/loot spawn dice roll.

And if the bus starts south east, it's not even a dice roll. The rift at the eastern edge beside paradise, where the flaming hoop is, spawns 100% of the time. There's 2 chest spawns just south of it by the 4 rocks with the cactus in the middle, another by the RV, and 2 more in the house:

If the bus starts north east, aim your drop so you're opening your glider in the clearing circled here and you will land right in front of one of the chests at the tiki head. From there you can choose to go risky or tomato based on how many people you saw dropping there. If there's no rifts you can usually go loot the houses on the way to risky or before pushing tomato town.

If it starts south west, I tend to go for the loot at the bottom of the waterfall. There's often rifts there, if not I'll just walk up to the viking ship round the west side.
If it starts north west, I've been going for the rifts south west of junk and then rifting either into junk for the challenge hunters (this week), or into pleasant.

It's pretty easy to mitigate the initial dice roll and still quickly get into fights.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 10, 2018

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
^^^speaking of rifts.... I'm going to be keeping this screenie of this week's challenges as a reference for learning new rift locations. There are WAY more than I knew about

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Knocked over this weeks challenges in a bit over an hour in 50v50 mode.

I'm kind of disappointed I did them so quickly as I thought they were quite fun this week. Was certainly helped by getting the 3 kills at Shifty & 3 kills in a single match in my first game which I was not expecting :D

Also I discovered that a rift stays around long enough for you to use it, and then fly straight back down into it to use a second time :)

Oh and for the chests, if you didn't know, there are 2 that usually spawn in the Llama building north of Junk that count towards the challenge. Seemed everyone was ignoring that building. Sadly the chests int he buildings just to the East don't count.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I was able to get the chest challenge done much quicker this week than last when it was at Flush for whatever reason.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
That’s the thing with this game. Going to the populated areas is good for battle experience and all but if you don’t get a gun like right away you are toast...

I hit the remote areas and move in.

ALSO EVERYONE HAVE A MIC !!!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

they added new trucks at the northwest corner of Dusty (up on the rim, not down in the pit)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

A Man and his Hog posted:

That’s the thing with this game. Going to the populated areas is good for battle experience and all but if you don’t get a gun like right away you are toast...

I hit the remote areas and move in.

ALSO EVERYONE HAVE A MIC !!!!

You can always flee you know, or hide a bit and pick up some of the greys/greens that get abandoned. Also maybe PC is different, but if I'm pugging in ps4, I always join a private party with mic priority before playing. I mean unless you really wanna hear a 12 year old try to be wacky and copy their favorite steamer's catchphrases, you're not missing much.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 10, 2018

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The 9 to 12 year old kids I keep getting matched with on Switch are totally cool and fun to play with

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Turpitude posted:

The 9 to 12 year old kids I keep getting matched with on Switch are totally cool and fun to play with

Is this sarcasm? If it is... you're playing on a nintendo device, what do you expect?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most of them are fine.

I feel like the super racist nbomb dropping shitheads were more on the last gen of consoles and that’s not as acceptable any more.

Or maybe I’m just lucky :iiam: because the only time I hear voice chat is on a kids console while playing the most popular kids game since minecraft

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Do you not constantly run into everyone playing with a hot mic in living rooms full of crying babies while they eat and their mom/momwife yells at them and has their stereo or TV going?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, yeah, that happens sometimes

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I run into a surprising number of folks hot-micing in save the world. I don't know why push to talk isn't always the default in everything forever, but it's kind of amazing. Fortunately in StW you only have to mute up to 3 other people per match.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

My favorite is when their game audio is echoing through their mic because they're using speakers

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kiranamos posted:

My favorite is when their game audio is echoing through their mic because they're using speakers

somehow that even happens with PS4 players YOU HAVE A HEADSET! I CAN HEAR YOU SPEAKING ON IT! WHY IS THE GAME AUDIO COMING FROM YOUR TV?!?

I'll totally admit and agree most of the folks aren't really going out of their way to be obnoxious on mics, it's just annoying that they've got a mic picking up everything going on around them. Hell I actually felt a little bad for the kid I heard getting yelled at by his parents the other night, since he was polite and even apologized for having to quit during the parachute phase.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 11, 2018

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

MF_James posted:

Is this sarcasm? If it is... you're playing on a nintendo device, what do you expect?

No sarcasm, I genuinely enjoy gaming with these kids. I look forward to my daughter gaming with me when she's older!

And yeah, hot mics appear in like 10% of random groups. I've had to mute a few people. But Hearing the mom or little sister haranguing the kid playing fortnite always cracks me up!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hosting the groomsmen at my house today as one of my best friends just got married. Some of their kids came too so I fired up gfs Xbox and let them play this. I seen one was carrying duals, I said get rid of them they're no good. The oldest speaks up, no they're not, I killed like 15 people with them! Do you even play this game? How can you know??

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coolness Averted posted:

Do you not constantly run into everyone playing with a hot mic in living rooms full of crying babies while they eat and their mom/momwife yells at them and has their stereo or TV going?

Yeah this is the #1 thing I get in the absolute majority of my matches, followed closely by "10 year old who asks if anybody else has a mic over and over for the entire duration of pre-game". Outside of that it's random. I've had 10 year olds make friends over voice comms which was :3: and I've had 10 year olds call me a hacker for making them lag or poo poo on me because I've got a battlepass skin and they don't.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I won my second solo match ever tonight.

To relate it to the ongoing theme the past couple of days, it came after dropping at the houses outside of Shifty to gear up, cleaning up the survivors from that shootout, and then following the circle east all the way to Paradise. I didn't encounter a single soul along the way. It turns out there were a series of frantic, comedic battles juuuuuust on the northern boundary of the replay range. The ultimate victor of that war was eaten by the storm.

The #2 guy had built a sniper tower that was protected by some traps and C4. I'm not sure why he expected to need that at the top of the tallest hill in the area. We traded a few shots, but the moving circle caused him to jump down. I guess he didn't consider me a threat, as he just built a few walls to keep me from taking shots at him as he rushed up on #3 right after they dispatched #4. I caught him drinking a shield potion, unprotected on two sides by walls. He was slow to move and slow to aim, and really had no chance.

This victory felt a lot more real than my first, which was a then-fellow noskin with low health skidding down a hill right into my minigun.

Not completely sucking at this game feels weird.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

McGlockenshire posted:

Not completely sucking at this game feels weird.

Yup. I've actually been winning somewhat often at Solos lately (like once per day for the last three days) and it makes me not want to play anymore every single time. It's weird. My heart beats real fast and then I don't really want to jump in again for a while so I just turn the game off and play something else.

It also sucks that stats aren't recorded on the Switch. I'd really like to see where I'm at.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Turpitude posted:

No sarcasm, I genuinely enjoy gaming with these kids. I look forward to my daughter gaming with me when she's older!

And yeah, hot mics appear in like 10% of random groups. I've had to mute a few people. But Hearing the mom or little sister haranguing the kid playing fortnite always cracks me up!

This.

I love it when the mom burst into the room and goes nuts “STEPHEN ITS TIME FOR SCHOOL! Kid: MOM JUST ONE MORE GAME!!!”

Like one I don’t think the kid even realizes if he makes it to the last 10-15 he’s probably just played for almost 30-45 minutes lol.

Time flys when I’m playing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This.

I love it when the mom burst into the room and goes nuts “STEPHEN ITS TIME FOR SCHOOL! Kid: MOM JUST ONE MORE GAME!!!”

Like one I don’t think the kid even realizes if he makes it to the last 10-15 he’s probably just played for almost 30-45 minutes lol.

Time flys when I’m playing.

Get out, rapist.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Get out, rapist.

:confused:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It's a parachute account of A man and his dog, date rapist who was telling elsewhere on SA his stories about making use of roofies or trying to gently caress blackout drunk girls.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Wow dude. The only thing truthful in that statement is that I am a Man And His Dog...

But yes please keep telling people absolute complete lies that some goon loving fabricated and keeps spreading about me.

Especially in the Fortnite thread. rear end.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wow dude. The only thing truthful in that statement is that I am a Man And His Dog...

But yes please keep telling people absolute complete lies that some goon loving fabricated and keeps spreading about me.

Especially in the Fortnite thread. rear end.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739676&userid=205844&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post452182496

The other part was at some other time in restaurant/service industry thread, but this is more than enough, lmao.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I don’t think you are reading that right in the context at all....

Me and that girl were both casually drinking at a bar as friends and she went overboard and got hammered. I made the conscience decision TO NOT go home with her...

I don’t understand why this is so hard for some of you to get.

Anyways. Can we switch gears and talk about Fortnite.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don’t think you are reading that right in the context at all....

Me and that girl were both casually drinking at a bar as friends and she went overboard and got hammered. I made the conscience decision TO NOT go home with her...

I don’t understand why this is so hard for some of you to get.

Anyways. Can we switch gears and talk about Fortnite.

Sure bud, just without you.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sure bud, just without you.

Glad you could poo poo up this thread when the rest of us really don't care about whatever you're going on about. Please kindly GTFO with your social justice.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bio-Hazard posted:

Glad you could poo poo up this thread when the rest of us really don't care about whatever you're going on about. Please kindly GTFO with your social justice.

Social justice is serious business.

Now let me tell you about how the problematic use of black avatars by white players in Fortnite is cultural appropriation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I fall defeated with thin veil of fake gaming cast aside, exposing soul of social justice warrior.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

Social justice is serious business.

Now let me tell you about how the problematic use of black avatars by white players in Fortnite is cultural appropriation.

I use Funky Ops and am a white, straight, upper-middle class, university graduated, living in a first world country male...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A pro tip for 50v50. Pick up the boogie bombs in the early parts of the match. You can use them to prevent your other teammates from beating you to a chest and grabbing the loot.

The person may get a little bit upset though and follow you around the rest of the match...

:allbuttons:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've never actuality found one of these treasure maps it tells you to follow

E: found it

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 11, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Who the gently caress releases a patch on a Saturday morning?

Who the gently caress releases a BC-breaking patch on a Saturday morning!?

I wanted to show my kids my second win and all the replays are broken. I tried doing some hex editing to try and trick it into thinking it's fine, but it cuts off after like four minutes. Ugh!

I guess I'm going to just have to start recording videos.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

A pro tip for 50v50. Pick up the boogie bombs in the early parts of the match. You can use them to prevent your other teammates from beating you to a chest and grabbing the loot.

The person may get a little bit upset though and follow you around the rest of the match...

:allbuttons:

I had this done to me.
I've commenced doing the same to others.
The circle of justice is unending!
Bonus points if you time it so they open the chest but can't pick up the loot: only watch and dance as you scoop it up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ah, so that's why I see people boogie teammates.

You can also conc nade friendlies for some dumbass reason. Thankfully the shithead who tried to throw me off a mountain failed miserably at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
You can also knock teammates out of an ATK with boogies. Bloody brilliant troll move to steal a kart this way.