Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't see if this was mentioned yet but apparently Sony is calling their Marvel character movies "Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters." Because everyone knows the important part isn't actually MAKING the movies but coming up with the term for your cinematic universe.

I really can’t think of a “cinematic universe” that really works besides Marvel. As much as CD talks about the “unified artistic vision” of DC’s attempts, that’s kind of why it doesntwork. Saying Marvel does the same thing over and over is also kind of straight up wrong. Marvel has several franchises that run on their own, in their own genres (Cap is a thriller type thing with complicated plots, GotG is a sci-fi comedy serial, Ant-Man is a heist movie), with some light interconnection (for a while that was only in the post-credits), that come together in a big event. It never really feels forced. The one where the “universe” felt most relevant to the plot was Spider-Man, and it was a big part of a young kid with powers finding his place in the world. It wasn’t someone watching QuickTime movies of people doing some stuff for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really can’t think of a “cinematic universe” that really works besides Marvel.

Godzilla 2014, Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and Godzilla vs Kong is looking like a decent MonsterVerse.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Lord knows, CD is wrong about a lot of things, but they're not wrong to point out that the Universal monsters had a kind of loose cinematic universe decades before Marvel even dreamed of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Lord knows, CD is wrong about a lot of things, but they're not wrong to point out that the Universal monsters had a kind of loose cinematic universe decades before Marvel even dreamed of it.

The UMverse was incredible and includes Abbot and Costello!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also, Wolfman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Disney announces James Rolfe as GotG 3 director.

Bautista killed off when a Buffalo takes a diarrhea dump in his ear

Kyle MacLachlan reprises his role as Mr. Hyde... and dies within seconds due to bad control and too many enemies on screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

Godzilla 2014, Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and Godzilla vs Kong is looking like a decent MonsterVerse.

True, but they’re like two in. And, like Marvel did, they’re making solid movies before going all in on a CU thing. 2014 Godzilla and King Kong would stand on their own.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't see if this was mentioned yet but apparently Sony is calling their Marvel character movies "Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters." Because everyone knows the important part isn't actually MAKING the movies but coming up with the term for your cinematic universe.

Lol Dark Universe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope they try a Nintendo universe, after credits scene of Mario Bros you just see a crazy hand descending toward his house, or he finishes a kart race and Captain Falcon is standing there and orders him to "Show me your moves!"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

True, but they’re like two in. And, like Marvel did, they’re making solid movies before going all in on a CU thing.
2014 Godzilla and King Kong would stand on their own.

Yeah, I really wouldn't say that.

Hopefully this next one is good because the 14 Godzilla was boring af

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dark Universe just didn't get a chance to get over.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

The Dark Universe just didn't get a chance to get over.

Seems pretty over to me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really wanted the Dark Universe to work. It's a shame because, as mentioned, Universal had the first cinematic universe, but they were obviously trying to make it Marvel rather than Universal. They attempted to make a movie that was both a horror movie, and a fun Marvel-styled romp, and failed to convincingly mix the two. I don't think they even need to scrap the whole thing, I liked Sofia Boutella personally, but they need a Kevin Feige type figure who not only has a deep love for the characters and franchises, but also solid vision for the future of them (hey, remember when Del Toro was supposed to head up the Dark Universe?).

Also not spending $125 million on their movie and signing up huge names like Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp (though I must admit, I liked the idea of Javier Bardem as the Frankenstein Monster).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
When are movie studios going to realize that they already have a pre-existing shared universe/multiverse in basically every Stephen King adaptation ever made.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Argue posted:

When are movie studios going to realize that they already have a pre-existing shared universe/multiverse in basically every Stephen King adaptation ever made.

Isn’t this basically Castle Rock?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I really can’t think of a “cinematic universe” that really works besides Marvel.
Star Wars counts in my book.

Harry Potter might too, since they've got a series going without any of the original cast (and virtually none of the characters). Rowling still has a lot of creative control though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, I really wouldn't say that.

Hopefully this next one is good because the 14 Godzilla was boring af

I will fight you over that. It will mostly be conveyed by terrified onlookers and brief glimpses, as the backdrop to one man's struggle with family.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Let's use the Legendary Monsterverse as an example of a successful franchise and not the friggin' original.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 11, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Harry Potter might too, since they've got a series going without any of the original cast (and virtually none of the characters). Rowling still has a lot of creative control though.

HP is a series, not a CU. Maybe when they get to another spinoff going or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm not even sure about Star Wars - Solo was a bomb, after all.

(Of course I am doggedly convinced Episode IX will disappoint Lucasfilm/Disney's expectations but that's neither here nor there.)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The 2014 Godzilla film is a better move on it's own merits than pretty much any comicbook film so far.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Skull Island too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dan Didio posted:

Skull Island too.

Skull Island was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I finally got around to seeing Fury Road yesterday so that knocked it from its perch. But everyone see Skull Island

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe I should give it another chance. I just found the main performances* so dull that I couldn't really enjoy the rest of it.

I have it listed as my least favourite film of 2017, but on reflection it'll probably rank higher than, say, Transformers 5.

*edit: Not Reilly. Relax.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 11, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dan Didio posted:

The 2014 Godzilla film is a better move on it's own merits than pretty much any comicbook film so far.

We've been getting some movies that are much better comic book-y than most comic book movies. Baby Driver, John Wick, F&F and, stretching a bit but still not based on an actual comic book, The Incredibles 2.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe I should give it another chance. I just found the main performances* so dull that I couldn't really enjoy the rest of it.

Which one, Fury Road or Skull Island? Because either way that's...a weird opinion.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skull Island. Fury Road was 2015 (Somehow?! Doesn't seem that long ago.)
Hiddleston and Larson were snoozing through the thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 11, 2018

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Godzilla 14 is goddamn art. The dust cloud > rising blue glow up the spines > WHMMM-WHMMM-WHMMM scene is pure cinema magic, I could watch it forever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not even sure about Star Wars - Solo was a bomb, after all.

(Of course I am doggedly convinced Episode IX will disappoint Lucasfilm/Disney's expectations but that's neither here nor there.)

All right, I’ll bite: what is this obsession you have about the subject? Perhaps I’m imagining it but it feels like you kept posting on and on about how TLJ wasn’t going to make a billion, then how they’re gonna cancel Rian’s trilogy, and now you’re going on about XI dying on its arse too. It makes you look aligned with those creepy chud types mad that there are women and minorities in space and crying “NOT MY STARWARZ” while no one else here really cares about SW box office either way regardless of what we thought of TLJ. And I’m pretty sure that kind of person isn’t you at all but you do seem weirdly fixated on it, randomly throwing out the “it’s dying” vibes every now and then.

What’s the deal-o, daddio? Why do you keep bringing this up?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

What’s the deal-o, daddio? Why do you keep bringing this up?

I don't think I actually know. Maybe it's a :spergin: thing or just force of habit; I realise it's a bad habit and I shouldn't do it but I still do anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEdJ4PIGad4

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Unrealistic.

Two women and a black man doing casting?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fangz posted:

Unrealistic.

Two women and a black man doing casting?

Did you not catch the posters Gemma Chan walks past at the end?

Edit: Uh oh.

Well this is disturbing

https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/08/11/photos-surface-of-guardians-director-james-gunn-at-pedophilia-themed-party/

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 11, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I want to see these movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Uh oh.

Well this is disturbing

https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/08/11/photos-surface-of-guardians-director-james-gunn-at-pedophilia-themed-party/

Those pictures were around forever lmao. It was Halloween and James was letting his freak flag fly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also if you for a second take seriously a letter in a website made by nazis then I dunno what to tell you

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Those are fantastic.

The whole thing is hilarious, but sad. The whole thing about explaining why Felicity Jones should take her clothes off is pretty hilarious, and probably not too far from the truth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Also if you for a second take seriously a letter in a website made by nazis then I dunno what to tell you

I hadn't seen them and I am fully aware the Breitbart is nazis.com.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess I’ll just ask, why even post a link to them then?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

I guess I’ll just ask, why even post a link to them then?

Because it adds to the greater Gunn narrative? These pics will no doubt make it into mainstream news fairly soon and stir the pot up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah no matter if he's apologized for them, I think once this (inevitably) becomes a bigger deal, it's the last nail in Gunn's coffin.

And then I guess we can start theorizing on how Drax is gonna bite it when Bautista quits.

• Locked thread