Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Ehud posted:

I think there will be a mix of try-hard people who look up every quest, location of spells, etc. and other people who are happy to go at their own pace and figure things out as they go.

My play style in MMO's is somewhere in the middle. I love exploring and finding stuff on my own and I'm never going to win any races to level 60 or whatever, but I'm fine looking up the location of certain things, crafting recipes and quests.

Even if the internet makes a lot of that stuff common knowledge, I still love the idea of having to go beat some content to earn a spell or new skill. I think it would be so much fun to hit level 20 and go with five people to kill some boss in a dungeon because they drop Celestial Healing V or whatever. Anything is better than "DING" and spells just appear on my hotbar.

Right, like I said: for single player games (your preferred play style) it’s fine. I do it too in solo games - I don’t want to look things up! I like to find stuff out by exploring. The instant I open a game guide or walkthrough, I’ve noticed I basically get only a few more hours of enjoyment out of the game, tops.

But for an MMO, if you want to group us with other players, you’ll have to look things up. Unless you plan to never group (which is fine and good) or group only with your friends (also fine and good) other players WILL gatekeep who joins their groups.

we literally saw this play out in wow all last xpac- all the last year and a half. Legendaries are literal game changers in that they can give you a whole new spell or skill. And characters without good ones saw themselves benched / sidelined pretty quickly. Either straight up because they didn’t have Spell X or because their damage / healing was nowhere close to what a player with Spell X could do.

Again this is all ignorable if you plan to never group w randoms I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

those graphics are so boring.

Boring graphics for a boring genre obviously.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Fake edit:

We also saw this years ago in original vanilla WoW too. Spellbooks had a chance to drop from certain bosses in a dungeon. By week three or so of running that dungeon, characters without the spell granted by that book (tranq shot) were being disinvited from raids and groups.

So if you want to come and do your dungeon for Celestial Healing or whatever, and you have the choice to take a hunter who does 10 damage or a hunter who does 100 damage, well, I know who i pick.

To forestall any argument on the points yes dps not everything etc. but unless you get a crowd that’s got basically no overlap with WoW at all, keeping up w the Joneses will send your players looking things up.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Thursday Next posted:

Fake edit:

We also saw this years ago in original vanilla WoW too. Spellbooks had a chance to drop from certain bosses in a dungeon. By week three or so of running that dungeon, characters without the spell granted by that book (tranq shot) were being disinvited from raids and groups.

So if you want to come and do your dungeon for Celestial Healing or whatever, and you have the choice to take a hunter who does 10 damage or a hunter who does 100 damage, well, I know who i pick.

To forestall any argument on the points yes dps not everything etc. but unless you get a crowd that’s got basically no overlap with WoW at all, keeping up w the Joneses will send your players looking things up.
I'm pretty sure all of Pantheon's fans are fully aware of this and actively want to be the one smugly rejecting the filthy casuals from their groups.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Asehujiko posted:

I'm pretty sure all of Pantheon's fans are fully aware of this and actively want to be the one smugly rejecting the filthy casuals from their groups.

If Wildstar taught us anything, it's that people who clamor for that are the first ones to get rejected for not being good enough.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Seeing as there are people in this very thread looking forward to playing this game, Wildstar has taught us nothing.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thursday Next posted:

Fake edit:

I mean if it crashes and burns and ends up with a p1999 level of population people will group with you even if you're naked and using the wrong spells because they're so nice and desperate to keep their game alive

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Who wants to start a guild w/ me

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Babe Magnet posted:

Seeing as there are people in this very thread looking forward to playing this game, Wildstar has taught us nothing.

Playing a train wreck of an MMO in the first few months after launch when its population is at its peak does have a certain charm to it. Its like being trapped in a bad movie but with other people who may or may not be in on the joke. I doubt Pantheon is going to have even that element of fun to it though since its probably going to have the same problem SoA had, not enough of a budget to do actual marketing and get people logging in at launch.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

Who wants to start a guild w/ me

I will make a cleric and play this game with goons if it comes out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I will make a cleric and play this game with goons if it comes out

I'm making a tank and want to play with goons if this game comes out. Gigantic if because I still mostly lean towards Pantheon being canceled in the next year or so.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I'm making a tank and want to play with goons if this game comes out. Gigantic if because I still mostly lean towards Pantheon being canceled in the next year or so.

:same: but that being said I really like the way Cleric and Shaman look to be shaping up, if Shaman can offheal or mainheal decently (not as well as cleric, obvs, but serviceably) and also debuff/buff/wolf stuff I will be a happy camper. I just want an EQ style experience that isnt exactly what I'm doing now (sitting in high hold keep on a waiting list to kill goblins) but something very similar with better graphics

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Schubalts posted:

If Wildstar taught us anything, it's that people who clamor for that are the first ones to get rejected for not being good enough.
This reminds me of my favourite tale of Wildstar hubris:

quote:

Dear Wildstar Community,

I am posting this recruitment message here, as I know even a mediocre Wildstar player is potentially on par with top tier WoW players. ...

A little while back some top Wildstar players made a loud proclamation they they were so much better at mmo games than all those WoW scrubs and they'd prove it by becoming the world first guild to kill the last boss in WoW's newest raid on the highest difficulty.

To do this, they set a raiding schedule of 84 hours per week. Not that they'd need it, according to themselves, WoW is an easy game for babbies after all, they're just doing to show how much more ~dedicated~ they are. For comparison, the actual world first guild, Method, has a peak of 60 hours during the opening week and they have actual sponsors and poo poo.

After a whole lot of bluster, the raid's highest difficulty opened up aaaand

They started at 2am the moment the update went live, ended up 30th when competing only against other night owls, then sank to 95th when other guilds started playing in the evening. The rest of the week they couldn't come back into the top 50 on any boss despite the raid being non-linear with different guilds targeting different bosses. By the time they ragequit and blamed everybody but themselves, they had dropped out of the top 100 altogether and ended up in 105th place.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Frog Act posted:

:same: but that being said I really like the way Cleric and Shaman look to be shaping up, if Shaman can offheal or mainheal decently (not as well as cleric, obvs, but serviceably) and also debuff/buff/wolf stuff I will be a happy camper. I just want an EQ style experience that isnt exactly what I'm doing now (sitting in high hold keep on a waiting list to kill goblins) but something very similar with better graphics

Same.

Regarding class, I'm surprised to say this, but I'm loving the Enchanter design so far. It seems like you'll stay really busy in that role and you'll always be in demand for dungeons.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

They started at 2am the moment the update went live, ended up 30th when competing only against other night owls, then sank to 95th when other guilds started playing in the evening. The rest of the week they couldn't come back into the top 50 on any boss despite the raid being non-linear with different guilds targeting different bosses. By the time they ragequit and blamed everybody but themselves, they had dropped out of the top 100 altogether and ended up in 105th place.

They also had a ton of their players promptly get poached by other guilds leading to their raid leader showing up in another guild's discord mid raid to whine about it, the recording of this was of course leaked and widely mocked. The whole fiasco was exactly what was expected to happen when a few of the "WoW raiding is dumb and easy" people actually tried high end WoW raiding.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol there are mmo guilds with sponsors? gaming is such a loving joke.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm working on sponsors for our Pantheon guild <Ye Olde Goone Squade>

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just remembered that the Goon guild in Vanguard was called Guardians of the Van.

I think that's the best goon guild name ever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did you just now learn that Esports is a thing?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I remember Blizzard desperately trying to make it a thing, but I didnt realize it actually existed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Schubalts posted:

Did you just now learn that Esports is a thing?

raiding dungeons is not an esport. there's no other team.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

World of Warcraft Arena PvP is seriously competitive. I don't know how big it is in eSports though.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Groovelord Neato posted:

raiding dungeons is not an esport. there's no other team.

Someone never heard of the M+ invitational, baby

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Someone never heard of the M+ invitational, baby

hosed up but this is actually a thing https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20873067/the-mythic-dungeon-invitational-is-coming

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blizzard is such garbage.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

how? is it just randomly generated every time?

Every time you enter the zone the game takes your player id and time of day including date and generates an playfield. You then need to explore it and map it yourself. There are mods to have an in game window like the bottom screen in etrian odyssey .

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

I said come in! posted:

World of Warcraft Arena PvP is seriously competitive. I don't know how big it is in eSports though.

It is basically a nothing on twitch because of how loving endlessly boring it is. The MDI gets (a lot) more viewers and the MDI isn't even pvp and also sucks rear end.

Though both of them put together don't even get a quarter of the viewers a bad day at the overwatch league gets.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I just remembered that the Goon guild in Vanguard was called Guardians of the Van.

I think that's the best goon guild name ever.

Were you in it too? If so, greetings, old friend.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

blizzard is such garbage.

Do you want to talk about it? Sounds like they really messed you up something serious

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ad by Khad posted:

It is basically a nothing on twitch because of how loving endlessly boring it is. The MDI gets (a lot) more viewers and the MDI isn't even pvp and also sucks rear end.

Though both of them put together don't even get a quarter of the viewers a bad day at the overwatch league gets.

To further drive it home how boring it is to watch, more people will watch streamers farm old content for mounts and items to play pretty princess dressup, which is the best meta game of WoW.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Givin posted:

mounts and items to play pretty princess dressup, which is the best meta game of WoWevery game.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Node posted:

Were you in it too? If so, greetings, old friend.

I liked vanguard and vanguard goons. It'd be neat if this game actually released.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Asehujiko posted:

This reminds me of my favourite tale of Wildstar hubris:

A little while back some top Wildstar players made a loud proclamation they they were so much better at mmo games than all those WoW scrubs and they'd prove it by becoming the world first guild to kill the last boss in WoW's newest raid on the highest difficulty.

To do this, they set a raiding schedule of 84 hours per week. Not that they'd need it, according to themselves, WoW is an easy game for babbies after all, they're just doing to show how much more ~dedicated~ they are. For comparison, the actual world first guild, Method, has a peak of 60 hours during the opening week and they have actual sponsors and poo poo.

I mean Enigma, the guild that was ridiculously far ahead of literally everyone else in Wildstar was only a top 100 US guild at their peak in WoW iirc. Dunno where you'd get the idea that Wildstar Pugs would do any better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deki posted:

I mean Enigma, the guild that was ridiculously far ahead of literally everyone else in Wildstar was only a top 100 US guild at their peak in WoW iirc. Dunno where you'd get the idea that Wildstar Pugs would do any better.

That's the point. He isn't the one saying Wildstar players would be world first in WoW, they are.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I said come in! posted:

That's the point. He isn't the one saying Wildstar players would be world first in WoW, they are.

Oh no I get that, I'm just adding the context that the elite of the elite of Wildstar didn't even really make a splash in WoW

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Deki posted:

Oh no I get that, I'm just adding the context that the elite of the elite of Wildstar didn't even really make a splash in WoW

:thejoke:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9138/should-i-try-to-ignore-pantheon-for-a-while

Should I try to ignore Pantheon for a while?

quote:

I'm not saying this in a negative way but I feel like I'm a bit too anxious for this game. I'm in the Alpha and I seriously thought I would be able to test it by now which I realise is a rough version but would still make me feel much better. For some reason I had thought the "full year of testing" was pre-alpha all of the way to launch. Yeah I don't know why I thought that.

Anyway my question is does anyone else find it a little torturesome to watch streams and vids because you just want to play it? Do most of you try to forget about it for a long time and check back ever 3-4 months or are you a little like me foolishly checking back too often? I don't want to start a different MMO because I dont want a different MMO but they are my favorite game type to play. Any thoughts?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's a good idea to 1.) not get involved into crowd funding, 2.) ignore the game until launch.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

It's a good idea to 1.) not get involved into crowd funding, 2.) ignore the game until launch.

Crowdfunding is like a capsule machine where 90% of the balls are empty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Byolante posted:

Crowdfunding is like a capsule machine where 90% of the balls are empty

More like 40% of the balls are empty, 40% are full of poo poo, 19% will scream so loudly your head implodes and the last tiny little fragment, might be product that actually works.

Most of the little fragment still sucks of course.