Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

This is so profoundly stupid on so many levels. The worst part is that he could have just said "nationalise driverless cars" and that would have even more benefits without none of the stupidity, but you can tell he's doing so many mental gymnastics to avoid something like that and keep it in the Free Market(tm).

It's not a truly free market until unemployed cars beg you for a charge as you walk down the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pochoclo posted:

you can tell he's doing so many mental gymnastics to avoid something like that and keep it in the Free Market(tm).

I think it's more that clearly people would be involved but the point is that at the core it would require little human thought and it is more "pure" if you describe it as the CEO not existing instead of what would really happen where there is a CEO nominally but his business decisions are so data driven that he is only making the same decisions the data would have told anyone or no one to make.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

i am harry posted:

I drove my moms 2001 echo at about that mileage for a few years, is yours seafoam too? :shobon:

I did seafoam the fuel once (the car is red). I run synthetic oil on a 6000-mile change schedule. Car consumes a quart every 5000 miles or so. Original clutch. I did wear out the clutch pedal rubber, but I fixed it with Shoe-Goo.

I bought it new in 2000 for $12,500. It runs silent and smooth but nowadays it sits at the train station during the week. I work in LA and stay there during the week. Only have the folding bike for transportation during the week. Amtrak home on Friday, back on Monday.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it's more that clearly people would be involved but the point is that at the core it would require little human thought and it is more "pure" if you describe it as the CEO not existing instead of what would really happen where there is a CEO nominally but his business decisions are so data driven that he is only making the same decisions the data would have told anyone or no one to make.

So a normal CEO, then?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

iajanus posted:

So a normal CEO, then?

A normal CEO would consistently make decisions even stupider than a half-baked program kludged together from spaghetti code.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

iajanus posted:

So a normal CEO, then?

Sure, people have talked about how large companies are semi autonomous metaphorically and some decisions are made by no one particular already.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/tech_gaming/status/1027357882730176512

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lmao at that theater running a projector thing on XP or earlier in 2018. It's surprising the movie companies even let them have that up.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!
At least back in the old days when the projector jammed it would melt the film and look cool. I got out of seeing most of Encino Man thanks to that happening, my only regret is that it didn't break down earlier in the movie.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

fishmech posted:

Lmao at that theater running a projector thing on XP or earlier in 2018. It's surprising the movie companies even let them have that up.

Walgreens still run their tills on xp.

Their inventory management runs in DOS.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Walgreens still run their tills on xp.

Their inventory management runs in DOS.

Do the tills actually touch any payment info? Because if they do that's gonna be one hell of a lawsuit if they ever get got

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Anybody got an over/under on how long it takes Twitter to kick out Infowars? Will it happen before or after @jack gets @sacked?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Anybody got an over/under on how long it takes Twitter to kick out Infowars? Will it happen before or after @jack gets @sacked?

Infowars' twitter account will somehow outlast twitter itself

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Moatman posted:

Do the tills actually touch any payment info? Because if they do that's gonna be one hell of a lawsuit if they ever get got

Windows POSready is XP for cash registers and is still a current microsoft product with support until fall 2019.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Never.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Windows POSready is XP for cash registers and is still a current microsoft product with support until fall 2019.

Oh not actual, literal, normal desktop XP. That's less terrifying.
Looks like POSReady and Embedded Standard are the last two and they're both unsupported within the year. So if we're lucky it'll be less than a half decade before the last XP machines stop seeing use.
Then again there are still a couple hundred million still kicking around so maybe not.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Moatman posted:

Oh not actual, literal, normal desktop XP. That's less terrifying.
Looks like POSReady and Embedded Standard are the last two and they're both unsupported within the year. So if we're lucky it'll be less than a half decade before the last XP machines stop seeing use.
Then again there are still a couple hundred million still kicking around so maybe not.

Microsoft actually basically never fully stops support, once you get to final end of life they still give you the option for custom extended support. Which is an option that costs literally millions or tens of millions of dollars but means they will make you patches and support for old stuff as long as you keep paying. Whole companies worth of cash registers seem like the exact sort of thing where that will get utilized a lot and keep windows XP in relatively active development for a very very long time.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The first US starship to jump to hyperspace will do it running Windows XP SP2. Because government LOL.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The first US starship to jump to hyperspace will do it running Windows XP SP2. Because government LOL.

A heretofore undiscovered kernel vulnerability will be spontaneously exploited by cosmic radiation and instead of jumping into hyperspace it will open a door to the hell dimension.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does the US military still pay for XP support?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Last Chance posted:

does the US military still pay for XP support?

All signs point to "yes"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nicee, keeping it old school. ride or die Windows XP for life

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Huh.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sundae posted:

Never not reposting this.

Time to start the Chryslerian Jihad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A different issue involving Twitter (and I suppose any social media platform) can you use it to serve notice of a lawsuit?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A different issue involving Twitter (and I suppose any social media platform) can you use it to serve notice of a lawsuit?

But I don't have a check mark!

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/foudroyant/status/1028282420527869954?s=21

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

All I can say about that is: :feelsgood:.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Hey remember Juicero?
They did it again.
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1027549307547869185
e: actually it both had a kickstarter and was sued by Juicero last year, and it isn't as bad as the Juicero since it isn't entirely based around a nearly premade, expensive, non-refillable packet but still

Moatman fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 11, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lmao at 800 bucks for that, at least the bag is reusable

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Moatman posted:

Hey remember Juicero?
They did it again.
e: actually it both had a kickstarter and was sued by Juicero last year, and it isn't as bad as the Juicero since it isn't entirely based around a nearly premade, expensive, non-refillable packet but still
I'm glad that brave tech heroes are continuing to try to serve the "rich doctors who want to eat fruit but can't because they don't have hands" crowd, a true service to our community.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Looks guys, it's more than just juice. Much more. :v:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Moatman posted:

Hey remember Juicero?
They did it again.

If I actually wanted to juice things (eating whole fruits is better overall IMO), I would totally buy the inevitable chinese knockoff of this at £50 because that looks actually handy, except hahahaha the loving price, $800 for that, who the gently caress is gonna buy that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pochoclo posted:

If I actually wanted to juice things (eating whole fruits is better overall IMO), I would totally buy the inevitable chinese knockoff of this at £50 because that looks actually handy, except hahahaha the loving price, $800 for that, who the gently caress is gonna buy that.

quote:

915 backers pledged S$ 579,348 to help bring this project to life.

Although the super early bird was "only" $400. What a bargain!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the $2500 juicer that requires hundreds of steps for one glass of juice

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pochoclo posted:

What does look "handy" about this compared to a regular juicer? Cleaning the bags seems like a hassle, everything about this machine is ill-conceived and seems primarily designed to sell you dumb "juice packs".

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the $2500 juicer that requires hundreds of steps for one glass of juice

I have no idea. The most expensive one I can find on Amazon that isn't for, like, professional juice bars is 800 bucks or so (except for a single model selling for 3x MSRP for whatever reason)

Lambert posted:

What does look "handy" about this compared to a regular juicer? Cleaning the bags seems like a hassle, everything about this machine is ill-conceived and seems primarily designed to sell you dumb "juice packs".

Aren't juciers notoriously annoying to clean?

Moatman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 11, 2018

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why not just buy regular juices and mix them together in a cup with a spoon?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Moatman posted:

Aren't juciers notoriously annoying to clean?

Yeah, but cleaning the bags doesn't seem any less annoying. And who knows how effective this "juicer" even is with home-filled juice packets (let alone: How often are you able to re-use the juice packages)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

qkkl posted:

Why not just buy regular juices and mix them together in a cup with a spoon?

Because then you can't tell people about your fancy new $10,000 juicer, pleb.

It really does baffle me how many of these things keep cropping up that are just monumentally stupid. What are they going to do next? Fancy, artisinal flashlights? Luxury toothpicks? It's loving juice. It isn't like this is some new, complex technology that was just invented. People have known about juice as long as they've known about fruit.