Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

megaman legends is really fuckin good, it's too bad the controls don't hold up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oh dope posted:

I never beat it, and I'm not 100% clear on it's development history, but it feels like a wildly unfinished game. Everything comes across as half baked and unpolished. For example, every single Asari NPC, aside from your teammate, has an identical face. But even the stuff that does seem finished is dull as dishwater. The "story" is a wet fart. Instead of an engaging plot with trying to survive in a new galaxy and learning about these strange new lifeforms, it's just "kill the bad aliens". It's hard to tell if the game was rushed and released before it was finished, or if it's just lazy incompetence. Probably a bit of both.

The actual alien shooting is alright I guess.

Kotaku actually did a pretty decent write up on the production issues.

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

The Story Behind Mass Effect: Andromeda’s Troubled Five-Year Development

quote:

In 2012, as work on Mass Effect 3 came to a close, a small group of top BioWare employees huddled to talk about the next entry in their epic sci-fi franchise. Their goal, they decided, was to make a game about exploration—one that would dig into the untapped potential of the first three games. Instead of visiting just a few planets, they said, what if you could explore hundreds?

Five years later, it’s hard to find anyone who’s ecstatic with the results. Mass Effect: Andromeda, released in March 2017, disappointed even the biggest fans of BioWare’s longrunning series. Although some people enjoyed the game, it was widely pilloried, with critics slamming its uneven writing, frequent bugs, and meme-worthy animations (our own review was just lukewarm). The PS4 version of Andromeda has a 70% on Metacritic, lower than any BioWare game to date, including the ill-advised Sonic Chronicles.

Almost immediately, fans asked how this happened. Why was Andromeda so much worse than its predecessors? How could the revered RPG studio release such an underwhelming game? And, even if the problems were a little exaggerated by the internet’s strange passion for hating BioWare, how could Andromeda ship with so many animation issues?

I’ve spent the past three months investigating the answers to those questions. From conversations with nearly a dozen people who worked on Mass Effect: Andromeda, all of whom spoke under condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk about the game, a consistent picture has emerged. The development of Andromeda was turbulent and troubled, marred by a director change, multiple major re-scopes, an understaffed animation team, technological challenges, communication issues, office politics, a compressed timeline, and brutal crunch.

Many games share some of these problems, but to those who worked on it, Andromeda felt unusually difficult. This was a game with ambitious goals but limited resources, and in some ways, it’s miraculous that BioWare shipped it at all. (EA and BioWare declined to comment for this article.)

Mass Effect: Andromeda was in development for five years, but by most accounts, BioWare built the bulk of the game in less than 18 months. This is the story of what happened.

E: there are some ME spoilers, never-played-the-games guy, just a heads up.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 10, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I played the demo after they fixed the egregious crap and it seemed fine, just meat and potatoes sci fi. Worth getting cheap.

I think making the default female face extremely derpy was one of their biggest and most easily fixable flaws.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bradzilla posted:

whoa scorching hot take there :mario:

Super Mario Land is a pretty overlooked classic, it's usually seen as kind of lovely because the sprites are small and it's not like a normal Mario game, but it's actually really excellent. It's the perfect mobile game: you can finish it in under an hour if you're good, it's very speedrunnable too even for an average player with some practice. It's got better music than most Mario games, memorable enemies and the superball is great and lets you pull off all kinds of moves that the fire flower doesn't offer. It's got great variety with two shmup stages and different level and enemy designs for nearly every level. Gunpei Yokoi was a genius.

SML2 was really good too but suffers a bit from the sprite sizes and slowdown on the GB.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the gameplay is really anything like Inquisition, it's not worth it even cheap. They should be paying you for the time wasted on singleplayer MMO bullshit.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I played the demo after they fixed the egregious crap and it seemed fine, just meat and potatoes sci fi. Worth getting cheap.

I think making the default female face extremely derpy was one of their biggest and most easily fixable flaws.

When Andromeda was first announced I thought for sure it was going to be a MMO like the Star Wars Old Republic.

It just seemed like a natural fit to allow the player base to make their own character from any of the alien species in the ME universe and have degenerate cyber sex with each other.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Super Mario Land is a pretty overlooked classic, it's usually seen as kind of lovely because the sprites are small and it's not like a normal Mario game, but it's actually really excellent. It's the perfect mobile game: you can finish it in under an hour if you're good, it's very speedrunnable too even for an average player with some practice. It's got better music than most Mario games, memorable enemies and the superball is great and lets you pull off all kinds of moves that the fire flower doesn't offer. It's got great variety with two shmup stages and different level and enemy designs for nearly every level. Gunpei Yokoi was a genius.

SML2 was really good too but suffers a bit from the sprite sizes and slowdown on the GB.

Yeah SML 1 is extremely impressive when you compare it to every other platformer on the gameboy

Others might look better (the Warioland games are loving beautiful given the hardware) but nothing else feels like a ‘real’ Mario-like platformer since the sprites are huge and thus the camera is constantly having to move to keep up

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna say I didnt hate Inquisitions combat. The maps are another story, but the combat I didnt mind. Also I did enjoy the story a lot, but daaaamn it was short.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yeah SML 1 is extremely impressive when you compare it to every other platformer on the gameboy

Others might look better (the Warioland games are loving beautiful given the hardware) but nothing else feels like a ‘real’ Mario-like platformer since the sprites are huge and thus the camera is constantly having to move to keep up

I really like SML2 apart from the sprite issue, it just has really likable design and isn't hindered by the later games' tendency to lock Mario into a "canon universe" or whatever bullshit and just rolls out crazy enemy designs like slime cows and giant ants and sharks with boxing gloves. It also has Wario and I love the way the secret levels, once finished, add some little detail to the overworld map (I looked forever trying to find the nonexistent Mario Zone secret). The carrot also owns but isn't a straight upgrade from the fireball in all situations, so you have to choose between it or the fireball depending on the situation, which is cool.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm gonna say I didnt hate Inquisitions combat. The maps are another story, but the combat I didnt mind. Also I did enjoy the story a lot, but daaaamn it was short.

what story

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I find Bioware games repellent even just looking at the box art or screenshots and stuff and don't get why anyone gets into them

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

I did not play Mass Effect at all, actually. Is it good, aside from this thread's description?

2 is the best one because of all Bioware's stuff it's got the best shooting mechanics and is the least interested in being a dating simulator. 1 is colossally overrated.

-Copy-pasted boring environments

-Hope you like killing a billion boring-rear end geth and any enemy humans you run across saying the same three canned lines

-Endless sorting through inventory trash

-Horridly-designed Mako sequences

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Was that the one where one of the worlds was in a giant robot Mario? If so yeah that owned.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rock My Socks! posted:

Was that the one where one of the worlds was in a giant robot Mario? If so yeah that owned.

Yeah, you had the tree zone, space zone, macro zone, pumpkin zone, Mario zone, turtle zone and Wario's castle. Mostly, these were really original settings, nearly every level had unique graphics too, something almost no other Mario game has.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Vakal posted:

When Andromeda was first announced I thought for sure it was going to be a MMO like the Star Wars Old Republic.

It just seemed like a natural fit to allow the player base to make their own character from any of the alien species in the ME universe and have degenerate cyber sex with each other.

Just lol if you think Bioware is in any shape way or form capable of delivering a decent MMO, or even a game with MMO components

*looks at Anthem*
Ohhhh... ohhh noooo, guys.... what are you doinnnnggggg

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Just lol if you think Bioware is in any shape way or form capable of delivering a decent MMO, or even a game with MMO components

*looks at Anthem*

It’s their destiny.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rock My Socks! posted:

Great soundtrack too, given the limitations at the time.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Upon reflection there actually was something great about ME3: it and Gears of war 3 were so horrible I vowed off of preordering games for years. I fell for it again on Fallout 4 but now I extra will never do that poo poo again.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s their destiny.

:downsrim:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I like how they in the first few hours set up an actually interesting story about religious reform, papal succession crisis, military destabilization and a rising threat of a foreign invasion. Then all that gets resolved in splash screen just before the credits because you were too busy fighting discount Sauron over some dumb magic rocks or whatever it was. I can't believe they essentially recycled loving Cerberus from ME3 as the primary threat when it dragged down even the game where it belonged so hard.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Breath of the wild is a mediocre game because it doesn't have good controls. If it had dark souls controls it would be the best game ever made.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I was rather proud of that one

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Every Souls game - including Bloodborne - is terrible

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BioMe posted:

I like how they in the first few hours set up an actually interesting story about religious reform, papal succession crisis, military destabilization and a rising threat of a foreign invasion. Then all that gets resolved in splash screen just before the credits because you were too busy fighting discount Sauron over some dumb magic rocks or whatever it was. I can't believe they essentially recycled loving Cerberus from ME3 as the primary threat when it dragged down even the game where it belonged so hard.

Yeah the problem with Corypheus is that he’s at his strongest when you first meet him, and the entire game is you stripping his power base while adding to your strength. So when you finally get your rematch there’s no tension anymore.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
3D Platformers are one of the worst game genres. I can never properly gauge depth and end up barely being able to land on platforms and enemies. They make me motion sick too because of the twisting cameras in tight spaces. The only reason they exist is because everyone was trying to get in on the hype train when the N64 + PS1 came out and 3D was the new best thing. For reference, I've played the Super Mario Galaxy games, and although they're probably the best of the genre, I had no desire to ever play them again. Just let the genre die already and leave 3D to the games that use it well. Luckily, it seems like we don't get a ton of 3D platformers nowadays anyway.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AutumnDDP posted:

3D Platformers are one of the worst game genres.

I don't mind them if they give the playable character some sort of glide ability that increases the generosity when trying to jump from platform to platform.

MDK and Soul Reaver being ones that come to mind.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vakal posted:

I don't mind them if they give the playable character some sort of glide ability that increases the generosity when trying to jump from platform to platform.

MDK and Soul Reaver being ones that come to mind.

MDK has, hands down, the best manual of any game ever.

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/38450/manuals/Manual%20English.pdf?t=1447352480

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

MDK has, hands down, the best manual of any game ever.

The ending cinematic for the PC version is amazing as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygR4UsoY3Rs&t=49s

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Nah I'm gonna give that to Arcanum

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

*looks at Anthem*

Counterpoint: SWTOR was actually really good right until you hit the level cap. They had the best implementation of group dungeons I've ever experienced, some of the character stories were very good and fleshed out, their open world stuff was SWG-level excellent, and they kept more bullshit MMO mechanics to a minimum. Like, that game had way fewer MMO mechanics and felt like more of a good singleplayer game than DA:I somehow.

With SWTOR they did a super great job at solving most of the MMO experience, but then the endgame was just standard MMO fare, because making a non-grindy MMO endgame that people actually want to stick around for is a hard problem or something. In fact I think SWTOR's goodness may help explain all of the Bioware games since then have sucked? Like they put all of their remaining talent on SWTOR permanently and everyone else was like "how does i make game" and that's the story of how Andromeda got made

zenintrude posted:

Every Souls game - including Bloodborne - is terrible

Sorry but that's a popular and trendy thing to say whereas this is the thread for unpopular opinions

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 11, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best MMO is actually Lord of the Rings Online

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SWTOR is straight up okay if you 100% ignore any MMO systems and just play the story content. Pay like $15 or whatever a month until you've played all of that, then just log off and forget about it until a year passes and theres more content to do hopefully.

Some of the class stories aren't worth a loving good goddamn but imperial agent and inquisitor is good enough, at least.

Smuggler is okay.

There are a few others, but Imperial Agent is the most well written.

The expansions have varying quality content but it's mostly good.

Do not play with people and do as little as possible outside of stories because it's just a lovely WoW clone otherwise.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

a hole-y ghost posted:

they should re boot it as massiv effex with a drum and bass soundtrack

That’s right bruv

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Shibawanko posted:

more like bored of the rings am i right llmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

eve online would be the best mmo if the gameplay wasnt so bad

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Shibawanko posted:

There is no such thing as a good MMO.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Universe Master posted:

There is no such thing as a good MMO.

:emptyquote:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

Counterpoint: SWTOR was actually really good right until you hit the level cap. They had the best implementation of group dungeons I've ever experienced, some of the character stories were very good and fleshed out, their open world stuff was SWG-level excellent, and they kept more bullshit MMO mechanics to a minimum. Like, that game had way fewer MMO mechanics and felt like more of a good singleplayer game than DA:I somehow.

With SWTOR they did a super great job at solving most of the MMO experience, but then the endgame was just standard MMO fare, because making a non-grindy MMO endgame that people actually want to stick around for is a hard problem or something. In fact I think SWTOR's goodness may help explain all of the Bioware games since then have sucked? Like they put all of their remaining talent on SWTOR permanently and everyone else was like "how does i make game" and that's the story of how Andromeda got made

Nice, very unpopular opinion :discourse:

basic hitler posted:

SWTOR is straight up okay if you 100% ignore any MMO systems and just play the story content. Pay like $15 or whatever a month until you've played all of that, then just log off and forget about it until a year passes and theres more content to do hopefully.

I extremely agree - If you ignore the MMO in that MMO, it’s actually a passable game

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Seriously though why are MMOs so bad? You'd think we'd have the technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BioMe posted:

Seriously though why are MMOs so bad? You'd think we'd have the technology.

The business model relies on:

- Keeping players doing pointless busywork instead of playing game content

- A very low skill cap that bases your success on little more than time sink

You essentially have to make your fun on MMOs by forming social connections or ignoring the game's tightly structured experience and doing your own thing, but only a tiny percentage of players do this. The most fun I ever had in WoW was when I organized a raid on Orgrimmar as a level 45 character and crashed everyone's connection.