Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

:laffo: the Grand Duke's Tournament has extended signups because of lack of interest and nobody plays this game. i dont know what the grand duke's tournament is

ed:

I didn't know shooter jennings was a real musician I thought he was a SOTA whale, lol, his poor career

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Awww sweet, is steve young gonna sling the pill with some mmo nerds?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol look at this kitschy poo poo. that 80s nostalgia is starting to wane fast

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Soup du Journey posted:

lol look at this kitschy poo poo. that 80s nostalgia is starting to wane fast

And yet the worst part is Lord British’s ugly rear end logo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this video fills me with deep despair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iClb9kmKMw&t=3811s

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I don't think I have words

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is some awesome frame rate.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this is absolutely fantastic

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i honestly can't get enough of laughing at this fuckin game

there's a dude named Vladimir_Begemot who is in every single forum imaginable defending SOTA 24/7. its really a staggering level of commitment. He's on the official forums, SOTA reddit, SOTA_raw reddit, SOTA_official reddit, the steam community, and i bet if you were to search hsi name you'd find him on like twitter and stuff. I'm just listing places I remember seeing his name while clicking links related to this game/browsing the steam community. after reading a bunch of his posts in all these places where he breathlessly defends (at length, too, almost every time) any criticism of SOTA, from "the combat isn't great" to "i feel like they stole twenty thousand dollars from me", he's there, even trying to talk up the single player game and poo poo, i feel terribly sorry for him.

this dude has invested literally his whole life, and probably most of his money, in SOTA and its gonna be gone in like two months, at best. they moved to weekly 12-hours fundraising windows and on their last telethon they barely made like 20k. the amount they fundraise goes down by a huge proportion every time they have one, along with the number of employees left in the studio

i know this is a lot of words about a game i have never played or owned but its just...its something else. i find it more interesting than StarCitizen, even, SOTA has this palpable aura of misery and isolation, of chunky older nerds in their lower-middle class grown up houses pining for the feelings they felt when they played DND with their friends or Ultima for the first time as kids that they will never ever get back and they're like pouring everything they have into chasing that pathetic dragon

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
b...but the dragon has a gun!! and he's friends with a neon panther and starscream... :negative:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SOTA players....welcome to the #resistance

The Lord Must Fall: The Drumplemouths are at it again, this time in Aerie. Natasha and Marlin, two residents in Aerie, are distraught that they lost their livelihoods and a large amount of their financial assets at the hands of Lord Harcourt Drumplemouth, the wealthy uncle of Phineas Drumplemouth. They claim the only way to get their assets back is to assassinate Lord Harcourt Drumplemouth, and retrieve his vault key. But is it really as simple as that, or is there more to this story? It’s up to you to find the truth… or kill!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

This is the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever seen.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

TheAgent posted:

we tried to tell them

obviously we were all just trolling them by telling them to stop giving Richard n Co money

Yup.

The only actual dead gay forum slapfight I’ve had in 18 years here (holy gently caress) was due to my criticism of this game.

Game sucks, y’all.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Frog Act posted:

there's a dude named Vladimir_Begemot who is in every single forum imaginable defending SOTA 24/7. its really a staggering level of commitment. He's on the official forums, SOTA reddit, SOTA_raw reddit, SOTA_official reddit, the steam community, and i bet if you were to search hsi name you'd find him on like twitter and stuff. I'm just listing places I remember seeing his name while clicking links related to this game/browsing the steam community. after reading a bunch of his posts in all these places where he breathlessly defends (at length, too, almost every time) any criticism of SOTA, from "the combat isn't great" to "i feel like they stole twenty thousand dollars from me", he's there, even trying to talk up the single player game and poo poo, i feel terribly sorry for him.

this dude has invested literally his whole life, and probably most of his money, in SOTA and its gonna be gone in like two months, at best. they moved to weekly 12-hours fundraising windows and on their last telethon they barely made like 20k. the amount they fundraise goes down by a huge proportion every time they have one, along with the number of employees left in the studio

i know this is a lot of words about a game i have never played or owned but its just...its something else. i find it more interesting than StarCitizen, even, SOTA has this palpable aura of misery and isolation, of chunky older nerds in their lower-middle class grown up houses pining for the feelings they felt when they played DND with their friends or Ultima for the first time as kids that they will never ever get back and they're like pouring everything they have into chasing that pathetic dragon

This is a good post.

The “aura of misery and isolation” is true. That’s literally how the game feels to play. It’s a macaroni art sailboat made by a kid with Down’s syndrome. There’s just something melancholy about the whole affair.

And yeah that Vladimir guy is nuts. I browse steam every now and again and he’s always in every thread, spanking out huge globs of text to try to paint over whatever crack (or chasm) in functionality the poster is asking about. He offers to rent you one of his houses for a mere few thousand gold each month. He’s so clearly spent more on this game than he could really afford. I feel almost bad for him.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm impressed.

That they can still pay the electric bill in their office.

How long until all future begathons ahem live streams are issued from Lord British's disused garden shed while a 5 year old Dell laptop runs the last server in the background, on a shelf next to some rusty garden tools?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Pledge five thousand today for a gold tinted in game castle and receive exclusively this *looks around for literally anything* genuine double authentic Lord British's actual early morning turd spray painted gold and shipped* to you in this empty pickle jar.

*Shipping is still extra

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

First off, let me say that as an original backer I have played since release 1, and still love the game. It is the most fun I have ever had. I anticipate living in New Britannia for many years to come; it offers continuing challenges and an endless variety of things to do.
That said, I never expected it to be a blockbuster on release, or an overnight success. It is a niche game, and not the fast action instant gratification style that is very prevalent today. It requires time, thought and commitment; for those prepared to invest, the rewards are there.
I have long predicted that the launch would be a moderate success, and the game would be a slow burn. As the word spread, and people realised the depth and complexity of the game, it would gradually gain more followers. I further predict that it will match or exceed the success and longevity of Ultima Online. I hope I am right!

:smith: the steam forums for this game are very sad indeed

i'm what they call a media golem, you see, i am merely a conglomeration of references

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

:smith: the steam forums for this game are very sad indeed

i'm what they call a media golem, you see, i am merely a conglomeration of references
maybe he means a slow burn like a toxic chemical fire

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Frog Act posted:

it's not even like there is a shortage of solid single and multiplayer fantasy games but idiots that back terrible kickstarters are just determined someone is going to make that "perfect" game that exists only in their delusions

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I read this thread every now and then because it alone is worth the £20 I dropped on the game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i love how everytime someone drops a dogshit mmo its defenders will say "actually this game is good unlike those INSTANT GRATIFICATION games everyone else plays" as if only a top shelf dipshit would play something because it's good now

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Frog Act posted:

there's a dude named Vladimir_Begemot who is in every single forum imaginable defending SOTA 24/7.

My search-fu fails me right now, but I seem to remember that way, waaaaay back in he 80's there was this one guy who was obsessed with Lord British and Ultima. When a new game came out he would write a letter saying how great it was, then more letters picking out flaws, then a letter asking when the next one would come out, then more and more letters pestering him about the new game until finally it came out. I can just imagine this guy ~20 years later, having finally gotten his rear end Burgers under control and gotten a real job and family, then he hears about SotA and flips out and send British his 20K life savings.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I mean to be fair back in the day Garriot made innovative and good games, but I think much like Roberts being away and out of touch with both the industry and fan base for so long really hosed up his perceptions on what is and isn’t good.

I mean outside of Alex who really wants to play UO again? Every time the nostalgia bug bites me over games like this I’ll give one a spin and generally be reminded within minutes ow why I’d rather be playing one of the top theme park MMO’s.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I never played UO and I would really like to play a game with similar characteristics, a truly sandboxy thing with housing and taming and stuff. I really enjoyed SWG cus of all that, despite the jank and absurd mechanics. obviously shroud is just a weird asset flip dance party simulator but like the LoA Ultima shard looks interesting.

I think a lot of people would still enjoy that basic model but with actually decently executed modern upgrades

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It only worked at the time because it was the only game in town. That model requires a balanced player base of PKs, PvPers, PvEers, explorers, crafters, etc.

Once EQ entered the equation and now with the infinite number of MMOs it just cant work.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But boy was it a hell of a ride when it was going.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Most of the population staying in Trammel really showed how much the players were "tolerating" the PvP of UO.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Schubalts posted:

Most of the population staying in Trammel really showed how much the players were "tolerating" the PvP of UO.

It would have been interesting if they did like the slightest bit of game design to implement advantages to doing activities in Felucca. Lord British, Primordial Ethical Hedonist Wizardmind is beyond such petty notions of risk and reward, of course.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If your server was at all populated the reward was getting a whole dungeon to yourself. I made massive bank farming lich lords and I didn’t have to share. Occasionally I’d get hassled but most of the regular reds left me alone because I could and regularly did kill them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

teh scary myth of kingsport!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6mWJun39XA

join me to rp with me and my sister whenever, she is ghost! :)

ed: if I should take this to the SCAM subforum pls tell me because I do not want to poo poo up a thread with this stuff but its not like anyone plays this game and I just keep finding more schadenfreude:

quote:

Concept Art: Avatar Observatory 3 story row home

Just an idea that came to me when daydreaming in Owls tavern, Listening to Avatar Radio (Love you hard working peeps!). Have a broken right hand so had to do this lefty and sorry for the Paint™ it's just easier for my to "sketch" out an idea fast when I dont want to forget an art idea.
"I envision an Observatory that would allow me to view the spectacular world above and beyond the mundane daily world. I look up to the shattered moon. search for mysteries and secrets to the astrological magic that dances above my earthbound head. So with an engineers and a tinkerers help i've built my home into a dream come true, I may never leave my home again. She is a marvel of steel and soul." - Watku Weis of Owls Head.

6 rated this up

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 8, 2018

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Gildiss posted:

It only worked at the time because it was the only game in town. That model requires a balanced player base of PKs, PvPers, PvEers, explorers, crafters, etc.

Once EQ entered the equation and now with the infinite number of MMOs it just cant work.

Yup I agree now everyone has jumped to whatever game type appeals to their crowd they have zero reason to share the space with people who want something different that would frequently make what they enjoy worse.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The good folks at Portaliarium have decided to take SOTA's advertising in a bold new direction:

also, they're a team short for their big pvp tournament because they didn't check whether the signups were real so a fake team got on the list. SOTA was at 100 players today, too, lol

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Frog Act posted:

Vlad is busy on the SOTA Reddit calling for moderation because people called Dick Shittish "lazy" and is claiming that is a personal attack. I wonder how much blood and hair are on his shrine to this poo poo show

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So, when's the class action lawsuit for when this game eventually folds? There's got to be something they can run with.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lmfao someone is streaming a church sermon from the church of darkstarr in SOTA to five viewers, and the leader or whatever is giving a legit speech over mic about the dreadful complainers and unpersons attacking the game

https://www.twitch.tv/amberraine

ed: "ask yourself 'is there something i can do to to make this better?'" then she started listing things she was thankful for, this is genuinely concerning

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

So, when's the class action lawsuit for when this game eventually folds? There's got to be something they can run with.

Not a chance in hell in the US at least. A star citizen backer recently took CIG to small claims court and they referred the case to binding arbitration even though some percent of the purchases were made under a ToS without that provision.

Basically nobody who isn't rich as gently caress has the chance to see anything resembling justice here

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Frog Act posted:

lmfao someone is streaming a church sermon from the church of darkstarr in SOTA to five viewers, and the leader or whatever is giving a legit speech over mic about the dreadful complainers and unpersons attacking the game

ed: "ask yourself 'is there something i can do to to make this better?'" then she started listing things she was thankful for, this is genuinely concerning

Lol that owns. I love the white trash music playing the whole time

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Frog Act posted:

I thought this would be a goofy RP event or something. Nope, its someone actually proselytizing for a video game in that very same video game.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=susZrg0UDX4&t=7227s
lol this fuckin video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
for those not in the know, BMC (Britannian Mining Company)

another wonderful RMT seller partnered directly with good ol garriott