Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This may be a stupid question but is there a way to adjust the headphone volume without using the physical buttons on top of the Switch?

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Hold down the home button to bring up the quick menu and you can change it from there, even while docked

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hooray, I finally bought a Switch! :woop:

Should I get a screen protector and/or a nice case for this thing? Apparently it's plastic and not fancy Gorilla Glass or whatever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A screen protector is worth it. Get a case if you intend to travel with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trump Card posted:

Hold down the home button to bring up the quick menu and you can change it from there, even while docked
Huh, I had never seen that menu. I should have known there was one like it since the PS4 works the same way.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kirios posted:

There's very few NES games, I agree, but Super Mario Bros 3. is absolutely re playable to this day.

Base Wars is still one of the best Baseball games ever.

Baseball Stars was also fun and it'll be on the SNK Collection. :toot:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Should I get a screen protector and/or a nice case for this thing? Apparently it's plastic and not fancy Gorilla Glass or whatever.

Definitely get one or the other, maybe both. I just have a case and that's worked out well.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

The official Nintendo case is really nice and sturdy, I've used it traveling with no problems and recommend it if you anticipate bringing the Switch with you on trips.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i have that amfilm glass screen protector (that i applied in the bathroom) on launch day and it's still going strong and scratch free. i dont drop my toys a lot though

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
On my left joycon, when I tilt down on the joystick, it sometimes responds like I'm only barely touching it. For example, on Mario Odyssey menus, I have to really pull hard on it to scroll through options. This was actually the only time I ever noticed it, so I never worried, but I started playing lego marvel 2 and it does it all the time. So whenever my character walks towards the camera, it walks as slowly as possible. I have played skyrim, hollow knight, snipperclips, and runner 3, and never noticed anything similar. What is going on?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Saturniid19 posted:

On my left joycon, when I tilt down on the joystick, it sometimes responds like I'm only barely touching it. For example, on Mario Odyssey menus, I have to really pull hard on it to scroll through options. This was actually the only time I ever noticed it, so I never worried, but I started playing lego marvel 2 and it does it all the time. So whenever my character walks towards the camera, it walks as slowly as possible. I have played skyrim, hollow knight, snipperclips, and runner 3, and never noticed anything similar. What is going on?

Have you tried calibrating your control sticks via the system settings menu?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Saturniid19 posted:

Your stick is drifting. Cleaning under the stick dust cap with compressed air may fix it but I had to replace both of mine due to this problem when that didn’t work. Call Nintendo if you’re still in warranty.

I feel like I’m seeing a lot of people with this issue lately and think there may just be a lot of defective joycons.:smith:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yeah, I just started noticing this with my joycon as well. Haven't tried cleaning it properly yet though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LethalGeek posted:

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/1027835808357609472

This was 2 people at my house playing with 2 folks presumably in Japan given the names, for those wondering what online looks like.

Oh yeah, Overcooked 2 supports the 30s video capture. It was news to me!

Edit: There have been a lot of little QoL things I've started to notice too, like it's much easier to get finished food off a cooking surface without a plate. Buns & burritos both allow you to take them right off the pan for example, which wasn't the case in the first game.

Do you know if it's possible to create like a low level game with whatever amount of time you want? I've been trying to see what kind of modes and customization options they allow and no one has listed them, not even the website. I want to play with my friends but I hate in the first how you can only play in like 2 minute bursts and after the first couple missions, it's just craziness. I like the mechanics but don't wanna work too hard.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apparently in a PR release Nintendo mentioned the online service but didn't give any actual new details other than its been "pushed back" (my words, not theirs, all they've ever said was September) to late Semptember for release. So if you were super hyped for co-op Zelda where you take turns (????) for whatever reason, you'll have to wait at least another month and change.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why can't I get a convenient portable Super Mario All-Stars?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i am legitimately excited for balloon fight with online leaderboards

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Your stick is drifting. Cleaning under the stick dust cap with compressed air may fix it but I had to replace both of mine due to this problem when that didn’t work. Call Nintendo if you’re still in warranty.

I feel like I’m seeing a lot of people with this issue lately and think there may just be a lot of defective joycons.:smith:

The thing that worked for me when I had this problem was spraying some WD-40 contact cleaner around the stick. I did that like ~1.5 weeks ago and it worked until it started drifting again last night; I tried the WD-40 again and it seems to work again. Who knows how long it'll last this time though!

ETA: I guess this reads a little like "hey I know how to fix it, try this thing that only worked for 10 days" but for the sake of optimism I'll note (1) the compressed air only seemed to help for like 30-60 minutes, (2) when I read about the WD-40 fix on Reddit it seemed like a solution that was helping people and at least one person said they had to re-apply it after about a week but then never again, so there's a chance it won't break again in another 10 days!

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 11, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i am legitimately excited for balloon fight with online leaderboards

Same. Online multi too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

Apparently in a PR release Nintendo mentioned the online service but didn't give any actual new details other than its been "pushed back" (my words, not theirs, all they've ever said was September) to late Semptember for release. So if you were super hyped for co-op Zelda where you take turns (????) for whatever reason, you'll have to wait at least another month and change.

Well they said September before and never gave a date, now they say second half September without giving a date, so it's not really pushed back.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta get that West of Loathing physical edition

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
DBZ Fighterz beta is good times. I play portable exclusively and it ran silky smooth with no noticeable lag for the 7-8 matches I played today. The resolution seems to downscale a bit sometimes (only noticed at the end of android 18's lv1 super) but it never sacrificed framerate, so I'm totally okay with it.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why can't I get a convenient portable Super Mario All-Stars?

because Nintendo can sell those games separately for five bucks apiece

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The now-ex ign guy made the worst possible “apology” video. I’m not linking it because he monetized it. The short of it is he basically takes no blame, attacks kotaku and in general acts like a little poo poo.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The now-ex ign guy made the worst possible “apology” video. I’m not linking it because he monetized it. The short of it is he basically takes no blame, attacks kotaku and in general acts like a little poo poo.

Good on him. Why shouldn’t he monetise it? Everyone else is doing it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pretty much all of games journalism, including his ex-coworkers, are making GBS threads over his response on Twitter

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

zenintrude posted:

Pretty much all of games journalism, including his ex-coworkers, are making GBS threads over his response on Twitter

Not sure why this is important.

The guy whose work he plagiarised has stated:

quote:

I foster no ill will towards [him] and do not encourage the firing of this gentleman.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 11, 2018

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The now former IGN reviewer made the most terrible so-called "apology" video. I won't include a link because--get this---he monetized the video. But to summarize he pretty much takes no blame, attacks Kotaku and mostly acts like an undersized poo.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

KingEup posted:

Not sure why this is important.

Gives context to how tone deaf the apology video is I suppose

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Faux Mulder posted:

because Nintendo can sell those games separately for five bucks apiece

Cool, sell me Super Mario World, Nintendo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

what was he failing to apologize for

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Bongo Bill posted:

Plagiarism

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

His entire written review of Dead Cells was completely ripped off a youtuber's.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

This is the best response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz8TSUehpi8

From Chris Scullion, who had his FIFA 18 review plagiarized

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

haha

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Modus Pwnens posted:

The now former IGN reviewer made the most terrible so-called "apology" video. I won't include a link because--get this---he monetized the video. But to summarize he pretty much takes no blame, attacks Kotaku and mostly acts like an undersized poo.
I watched it and felt the exact same way. He's playing the victim when he's the one who got caught ripping someone off. That video should have been 45 seconds long where he comes clean, doesn't blame anyone else, and says he'll try his hardest to win back people's trust. Like, that's it, not a 5-minute whinefest with the most cloyingly annoying voice ever.

zenintrude posted:

This is the best response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz8TSUehpi8

From Chris Scullion, who had his FIFA 18 review plagiarized
See how annoying that guy's voice is? It's like some sort of weird fake-laugh talking. Holy poo poo I just wanna punch him so bad.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 11, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

This is wild because this is essentially what elementary school teachers tell you to do to avoid plagiarizing people. Like, he did that but it's actually plagiarism.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Do you know if it's possible to create like a low level game with whatever amount of time you want? I've been trying to see what kind of modes and customization options they allow and no one has listed them, not even the website. I want to play with my friends but I hate in the first how you can only play in like 2 minute bursts and after the first couple missions, it's just craziness. I like the mechanics but don't wanna work too hard.

Nope it's all the same as the story mode setup, and it's utterly random what you get online in public. Private rooms might be different, would have to ask someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm gonna click those other trashcans and there better be some goddamn text for it.

• Locked thread