Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ikanreed posted:

Actual Norse legends are always fun to read. Is there anything I could search to find these?
Neil Gaiman published a book last year (called "Norse Mythology") collecting the major Norse myths and rewriting them in his style. A very readable introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Ho ho! Here it is!

https://throwbackthorsday.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/norse-gods.jpg?w=1024

The title of said book being "Norse Gods and Giants" or, apparently retitled but still identical (and the cover art is the one I remember, but with the new title past time my time), "D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths".

Fun read, nice art, doesn't leave much out in the way of details despite being for children, other than the really explicit stuff (which was mostly only somewhat euphemised (and didn't include the PILES OF SEVERED BODY PARTS AND HEADS on the fields of Valhalla before they were gathered, reattached, and the partying re-commenced).

Dang evocative

http://booksofwonder.com/images/products/detail/DOC595.jpg

and metal

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...fix=protagonist

stuff.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 10, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ho boy I had a hunch it was going there but I was not expecting the Skrimr reference at all. I have no idea how Rich is continuously pulling the rug from under us but this was already shaping up to be my fave arc before this.

Still steamed that he made Thor a blonde, but I think I’m about ready to forgive that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ikanreed posted:

Actual Norse legends are always fun to read. Is there anything I could search to find these?

I really enjoyed the Gaiman audiobook version. Feels like something one should hear rather than read, preferably in a mead hall or in the wood around an open fire though "book on CD in my car" worked reasonably well for me.

e:

violent sex idiot posted:

i guess dwarfs dont look up very often

Why would they? All that's up there is the roof of the cave.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 10, 2018

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
There's been art changes that would have made it hard to spot, but I appreciate how different/yet similar the fur lining is from the clouds Roy experienced.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

violent sex idiot posted:

i guess dwarfs dont look up very often

Would you want the first thing you saw after you died to be your God’s pecker?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DoctorTristan posted:

... Yes?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

DoctorTristan posted:

To a Christian, to prostate yourself before God's Glory is considered a bit of a lucky break.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Ho ho! Here it is!

https://throwbackthorsday.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/norse-gods.jpg?w=1024

The title of said book being "Norse Gods and Giants" or, apparently retitled but still identical (and the cover art is the one I remember, but with the new title past time my time), "D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths".

Fun read, nice art, doesn't leave much out in the way of details despite being for children, other than the really explicit stuff (which was mostly only somewhat euphemised (and didn't include the PILES OF SEVERED BODY PARTS AND HEADS on the fields of Valhalla before they were gathered, reattached, and the partying re-commenced).

Dang evocative

http://booksofwonder.com/images/products/detail/DOC595.jpg

and metal

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...fix=protagonist

stuff.

Oh man, we had that book and the Greek Gods one. They were both great

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Grogquock posted:

There's been art changes that would have made it hard to spot, but I appreciate how different/yet similar the fur lining is from the clouds Roy experienced.

Looking back at the previous couple strips, you can see how the "clouds" are actually somewhat pointy, which makes no sense for clouds but all the sense for fur.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Man, my guess was way off this time. I'm glad Thor seems to be cool.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Man, my guess was way off this time. I'm glad Thor seems to be cool.

I dunno, "we need to talk" is scary enough from your partner, let alone your god.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 11, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Tenebrais posted:

I dunno, "we need to talk" is scare enough from your partner, let alone your god.

Yeah, he is gonna give Durkon a suicide mission. Probably one that requires him to die again with dishonor.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, he is gonna give Durkon a suicide mission. Probably one that requires him to die again with dishonor.

Interesting idea, and plausible; he'd be redcloak's direct mirror.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 11, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think Thor will tell a different version of the Snarl story.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It'll cut away and then when Roy raises him, Durkon will try to kill him because of something Thor said that we didn't see.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know about y'all but if my god of choice started our first conversation with "we need to talk" my rear end would be about 11 out of 10 on the puckered scale.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know about y'all but if my god of choice started our first conversation with "we need to talk" my rear end would be about 11 out of 10 on the puckered scale.

I mean Durkon has learned a bunch of frustrating bullshit about the gods and the universe as a whole so he's likely got some Thor-sized questions about now

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I dont think we're going to cut away. Pretty much everything we've heard about the Snarl is like third hand. Thor's seen it directly and I feel like now, if any time, is a good point to hear the Gods side of things.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's the last book so a lot of questions are bound to get answered asap

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I theorize that the gods are forbidden to tell mortals about the snarl and that's why Thor was so glad to hear Durkon mention he knew about it already.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Calaveron posted:

It's the last book so a lot of questions are bound to get answered asap

I thought there was supposed to be at least one more book after this one?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought there was supposed to be at least one more book after this one?

Yep.

Presuming the Chekhovs Astral Fortress is going to get visited: that would survive the Snarl, wouldn't it?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

sebmojo posted:

Yep.

Presuming the Chekhovs Astral Fortress is going to get visited: that would survive the Snarl, wouldn't it?

Why would it need to get visited though? It doesn't have Xykon's phylactery in it (that's a fake, Redcloak has the real one). And it serves any number of possible plot purposes just by existing (making Xykon overconfident at a key juncture; letting the party permakill him without going on a long dungeon crawl right after; letting Redcloak betray him at a crucial moment; etc.).

Redcloak having the real phylactery is the gun; the astral fortress is more like the mantlepiece in the analogy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It could a crimson herring fortress, true

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah the point of the Astral Fortress is its Xykons top secret hiding place for his phylactery that is secretly totally useless because Redcloak swapped it for a fake.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorTristan posted:

What if that's what killed me? :heysexy:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Manuel Calavera posted:

What if that's what killed me? :heysexy:

Then you become a constellation.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NihilCredo posted:

Then you become a constellation.

Oh, so that's how the Milky Way came to be!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I think Thor is going to send Durkon back somehow whether or not a resurrection spell is cast.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, making a dozen fake phylacteries and hiding them in different deadly places would actually be an excellent idea. For bonus points, spread a rumor that you can only be killed if all of them are destroyed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Honestly, making a dozen fake phylacteries and hiding them in different deadly places would actually be an excellent idea. For bonus points, spread a rumor that you can only be killed if all of them are destroyed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay but he made his actual phylactery a baby, that's a bit of a misplay.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay but he made his actual phylactery a baby, that's a bit of a misplay.

It's great when you're fighting paladins.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

PMush Perfect posted:

I know a guy whose lich villain made his phylactery just a plain ole brick and had it used in a nondescript building of some kind.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MikeJF posted:

It's great when you're fighting paladins.

Not so great in a medieval setting with hideous infant mortality rates

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

rocketrobot posted:

I think Thor is going to send Durkon back somehow whether or not a resurrection spell is cast.

He gonna be there rocking a Halo like Goku

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I know a guy whose lich villain made his phylactery just a plain ole brick and had it used in a nondescript building of some kind.

Seems like an inconvenient place to regenerate.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Toss your phylactery into space in a box, make sure you know the best teleport spell possible to get back when you finish regenerating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Toss your phylactery into space in a box, make sure you know the best teleport spell possible to get back when you finish regenerating.

What if it floats into a sun or something eventually?