Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

BurtLington posted:

Anyone here heard of Dual Universe? The idea is a mix of Space Engineers and Eve Online. It’s going into alpha by the end of the year and they released a roadmap:

https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/08/08/release-roadmap-alpha-launch-announcement/

Could turn out to be bad, but I’ve got more faith in these guys to deliver something fun than I have in CIG.

I remember when that project first came about, people thought it was another Transverse. Project trying to cling to the coattails of SC and gobble up as much money with their scam pitch as they could before they vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
poo poo, now I need some taxxe.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
https://i.imgur.com/NY31X9s.gifv

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
https://i.imgur.com/wZKEi3p.gifv

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

His layoff can take months or years. They had it coming by bringing the corpse in-house.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

Hey so this was a couple pages back but I feel it's worth remembering that no one person makes all of the calls on Blizzard's games, and Jay Wilson is not personally responsible for literally every decision that went into Diablo 3. There was a lot of stuff the team was really hype about that he personally disagreed with, but went with it anyway because that's what the team wanted.

Also worth noting that the "gently caress that loser" thing wasn't just him; several members of the Diablo 3 dev team basically responded "yeah gently caress that guy" because the loser in question had just thrown them all under a bus.
here is what brevik said

quote:

I have very mixed emotions about it (laughs). On one hand I am sad that people haven't enjoyed Diablo because it's a love, a passion, and its obvious people still have a giant love and passion for Diablo and they are speaking out about it because they have such love for it. That makes me feel great.

I am sad because people are outraged and, you know, some of the decision they have made are not the decisions I would make and there have been changes in philosophy and that hasn't gone over very well. I think in that way I am a little sad.

I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was. I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that , when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.
which jay wilson responded with (on a very public facebook post)

quote:

gently caress that loser.
and yeah, jay likes to float the whole "it was the loving TEAM THE TEAM" and yeah a few guys there are also responsible but goddamn it if jay wasn't in every meeting talking about how "challenging" and "difficult" things needed to be and that certain gamers needed to feel special and catered to and really, don't they want only a certain type of player for blizzard games and he was posting poo poo publicly and privately during the lead up to launch that they wanted a certain "pedigree" of player and oh noes, consoles, conoles no, the console team, yeah, well, jeez we are looking into it but thats for like, a lesser version

the guy was completely out of touch for a game release in 2014. he's not the only one responsible, but he is, without a doubt, responsible

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean brevik totally hosed up Marvel Heroes by being completely absent and not giving a poo poo after raking in millions, so yeah, gently caress that guy, but jay wilson and his idiot fuckin ideas about game design don't get a pass because brevik is the same level of moron

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean the dude owned himself so much he went from being a 20 year veteran of game design to being self-employed. no one wants to hire him for 3+ years running

like, that's what he is now. a self-employed writer. dude hosed up big motherfuckin time

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The story and writing of Diablo 3 was god drat groan inducing. I don't want to hear any of the characters say anything ever again. It is Saturday morning cartoon tier. Didn't Diablo have a horror theme?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

The story and writing of Diablo 3 was god drat groan inducing. I don't want to hear any of the characters say anything ever again. It is Saturday morning cartoon tier. Didn't Diablo have a horror theme?
it was always, always, always really, really, really bad

but the music has been top fuckin notch, for reals

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

it was always, always, always really, really, really bad
Meh, no, but whatever you think you can't argue that 1 and 2 the lore was more background and more mysterious.

Also the dude who voiceover'd da books in 1 was radical.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hobold posted:

No, not him.

That fucker.

I'm not so sure if it was Sandro or Michael Brooks, who was the executive producer and moved on to Jurassic World a year ago. In the past year under a new helm we've got a free season of updates including the possibility of clans/guilds. Which was something Brooks flat out refused to even consider...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The ending to D3 was so bad I couldn't bear to think about the game for ages. That was after rather enjoying the gameplay (I played it for the first time after the RMAH removal).

It was the worst storyline I've ever been exposed to in a game that wasn't some sort of joke in the first place.

Munin fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 11, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TheAgent posted:

"I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was."

I think it was probably this line in particular that set off D3's dev team.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The real story behind the netcode delays. Very compelling and probably true:

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/96cwkp/come_on_cig_radio_silence_again/e3zxyqt/

Star Citizen: It has been done in paper. Just a matter of doing the work

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 11, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hobold posted:

That fucker.

Its Sandro who has twice tried to moot the idea of open only Powerplay. That doesn't sound like someone who only listens to the forum dads. Just saying ;)

Signed

Forum Dad and proud of it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hobold posted:

poo poo, now I need some taxxe.

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018
All this talk about D3 is pretty boring, honestly.
Mirificus, more stories about backers and their anal vibrators please!!!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MedicineHut posted:

The real story behind the netcode delays. Very compelling and probably true:

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/96cwkp/come_on_cig_radio_silence_again/e3zxyqt/

Star Citizen: It has been done in paper. Just a matter of doing the work

The ideas are done. Now they just need to layer the code on top.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
layer in the fidelity more like

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wise Learned Man posted:

The ideas are done. Now they just need to layer the code on top.
Wavy hands, modules and dreams to build a delicious netcode cake

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Agony Aunt posted:

Its Sandro who has twice tried to moot the idea of open only Powerplay. That doesn't sound like someone who only listens to the forum dads. Just saying ;)

Signed

Wasn't Sandro the one who wanted/demoed immediate ship transfers, but was overruled after forum riots and the feature was subsequently hosed by immersion timers?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Agony Aunt posted:

Signed

Might be thinking of someone else then. Is what I get for not following ED that closely.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Wasn't Sandro the one who wanted/demoed immediate ship transfers, but was overruled after forum riots and the feature was subsequently hosed by immersion timers?

Not certain on that, but its always worth remembering above Sandro are at least 2 layers of management, so while there are certain things that can be laid at the feet of Sandro, we can never know which ones were his decisions and where higher management overruled or agree with him.

However, the vote on ship transfers was as fair as it could be, and everyone who bought the game had the opportunity to vote, so you might not have liked it, but you were in the minority. (70/30 split as i recall?). Ship timers aren't really an issue anyway. All that is really needed to make it better is the ability to remotely manage your ships with send to or fetch from, anywhere in the galaxy (well, perhaps as long as you are docked).

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sandro was also Lead Designer for Evil Genius (2004), which was an amazing game that let you trap and torture secret agents who came to your island lair investigating your plans for world domination while your minions goons were off looting priceless artifacts from around the world to help build your weapon of mass destruction, and I haven't played Elite:Dangerous since the background sim lost us Big Harry's Monkey Hangout (all praise King Harry, rightful King of the Empire), so Sandro gets a pass in my book.

welp, that's my Sandro story, thanks for reading

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Big Harry's Monkey Hangout (all praise King Harry, rightful King of the Empire)

:bigwhat:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Sq42 leak, allegedly: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k5ygvv6lq8d66QrHRpW

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9GW5qPoLs

(it has actually been back in the hands of the chosen Goon faction for a while now)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TLDR: Walking around in completely boring and empty test level. Somehow more interesting than anything else I have seen from SC.

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

Looks legit.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Some "Never been done before" stuff right there. :)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

player is the only entity in the whole thing, tons of stuff has no texturing, some stuff looks barely modeled, no cutscenes or anything, player appears to fall through the floor

"lol"

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

I hope that's a leak from the 2012 version of Squadron 42, and not the latest 2018 WIP one.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Princess Aisling's Dad was Prince Harold Duval, Heir Apparent to the Imperial Throne. He was somewhat eccentric and apparently a bit hairy and liked swinging off chandeliers. Near to the Imperial Home System was Jotunheim, which had a station called Big Harry's Monkey Hangout.

So Goon's declared that Big Harry was in fact Prince Harold, and we made it our home station and why pretty Space Princess Aisling was supported by goons in PowerPlay before it all became a chore

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

@3m40s - Have they built it to the wrong scale again?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9GW5qPoLs

(it has actually been back in the hands of the chosen Goon faction for a while now)

God Bless you Frogs :patriot:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

http://www.dream-ware.co.uk/first-encounters/journals/all/

quote:

MY LOVER TURNED INTO A MONKEY!!!
J.F.

Lovely Eccy G. was in tears when she told of her ordeal in the Imperial Palace.

"Harry was so sweet to me, like when we were swanning round the Federation he gave me this planet and everything. But then he went to that Institute place and everything changed." Crown Prince Harry grew HAIR on his head and then everywhere!!! Then his FEET changed until he could hold a banana with his TOES!

"It was kinda fun at first" sobbed Eccy, "but in the end he wanted to do really crazy things, you know, chandeliers and that. I had to flee for my life. I mean, I didn't have the grip he had, what with his four hands."

Never mind Eccy. We still love you. You're the light of our lives and no-one could hold a candle to you!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ended perfectly though