Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Is that Damian? Because it looks a lot like Tim but I genuinely can't tell

I think Tim has had a hoody in almost everything since new 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Damian's got the hood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it will be Harley or Cyborg seeing as they're (well, Harley is) big in the movies. It could be any of the others.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Would anyone care if Cyborg died?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Would anyone care if Cyborg died?

Geoff Johns.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Sandman Universe?
I'm not caught up on the original stuff, but I'd definitely like to follow the Dreaming one with Bilquis Evely art if it seems jump-in-able.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 9, 2018

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I've definitely had more fun with the Action Comics stuff than I have the Superman stuff, but I think it's because Rogol Zarr is boring as heck.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know if it's the really impressive art biasing me, but Wonder Woman was a pretty good read this week as well. I guess adding a bunch of random previously-unmentioned aunts to Diana's family every issue is just gonna be a thing that Orlando does but, hey, better aunts than brothers. Speaking of which, it was such a welcome change of pace when I realized after reading the issue that this whole chapter consisted of nothing but three women (four, by the end) going on an adventure and getting poo poo done and it was treated as no big deal, no big fuss, simply something that these characters do.

See how easy it actually is to please me? It ain't that hard! Just don't suck!

I'm gonna miss Hal Jordan and the GLC a lot. Remember the halcyon days where it'd be utterly insane to suggest that I'm not really looking all that forward to Morrison coming onto a book because he might not be as good as the guy he's replacing? And yet, here we are instead.

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying forever that this series made me like Hal Jordan a lot and that is loving unthinkable, and the thing I worry the most about moving forward is that writers are just gonna fall into the old habits about this character again and I'll have to stop liking him all over again. It's weird because...like, this was definitely an ensemble series, and yet there's been a clear sense -- especially with this last issue -- that Hal Jordan is still the main, most important character. And yet the only reason that has worked is because the book has been very cognizant about not writing Hal Jordan as a dashing roguish hero, but as someone who really has to work hard to achieve his victories. Like, he absolutely saves the day here, sure, but we get to see all the genuine effort and sacrifices he (and others like John and Guy) has made in order to earn it, which makes it satisfying to read about. It's very different from the Johnsian take on Hal Jordan, which was always saturated with this sense that this character was owed something from the world, as if the readers should only be so lucky as to deserve him because he's Hal McFuckingFuck Jordanfuck and that's all there is to it.

It hasn't been a perfect series. I still think the whole storyline with Soranik Natu's departure felt like they'd originally started with a plot about how she's controlled by a fear demon or something and then just...I dunno, forgot to include that part in, but still wrote her as if she's gone crazy from some kind of evil mind control, and then just played her craziness completely straight...and then eventually just forgot to finish this plot despite the fact that Soranik was a huge part of this book's original premise (that of the Green and Yellow Lanterns working together).

Still...this series leaves off on a really high note for me because this last arc was all about the merits of restraint versus lethal force and holy poo poo they didn't gently caress it up. I can count on one single hand the number of comic books tackling the issue of lethal force that didn't out really embarrassing or cringeworthy, so once again this series kept on accomplishing the impossible.

Darth Nat posted:

I still think 'Tec is pretty good, but I can't help but wonder what happened behind the scenes to make the solicit so much different than what happens in the book. It was clear for a while that this was going to be a stealth launch for an Outsiders title, and now I'm not so sure.
Really? I thought the ending of this issue made it even more super duper clear that this whole storyline is about assembling the Outsiders. With Katana just showing up out of nowhere for...well, for no reason whatsoever that I can discern, and with the emphasis on the tech being Markovian so Geo-Force is probably gonna appear really soon, it felt a lot like they're trying to cram a bunch of Outsiders stuff in here when it should, nominally, at most, be a story about one single outsider (...heh) character trying to understand and fit in with this Gotham crowd.

Speaking of which, that particular story has been.........okay?..I guess? I think this arc suffers a lot from not having the old Detective Comics roster of Tim and Steph and Basil and the rest because, again, the story is supposed to be about Black Lightning learning how to lead this team and them learning to follow his lead...but this team is so new there's no actual dynamic yet. Like, you could theoretically get a pretty solid storyline about a team that's been together for a while suddenly having to deal with a new guy at the wheels, basically as if Jefferson was replacing Batwoman as the commander of the squad...but everyone here is a replacement for the old team except for Cassandra so Barbara is just resistant towards Jeff because...I'unno, he's from Metropolis I guess? Like why is Barbara even here? Does she actually answer to Batman? I thought she's been her own hero forever but apparently she has to obey him now? And what does Duke think about all this, what with it being his first real team experience with these experienced Bat heroes? These feel like questions that the book should really be exploring because right now the book feels like it's arrived at a conclusion without telling anyone what the question was in the first place.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Okay so this threw me off a little and it's probably me looking too far into something...

Barry is blonde right? Because it looks like at the end of Superman #2, when Barry takes his cowl/mask off...he's a redhead. And Wally is the redhead, but they clearly said Barry in the book. Anyone else notice that?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

pubic works project posted:

spoiler for action comics this week
Okay so this threw me off a little and it's probably me looking too far into something...

Barry is blonde right? Because it looks like at the end of Superman #2, when Barry takes his cowl/mask off...he's a redhead. And Wally is the redhead, but they clearly said Barry in the book. Anyone else notice that?

Superman did say "I was expecting the other Flash

So maybe he's going somewhere with that.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

pubic works project posted:

Just a plain art mistake. The artist drew him with longer hair on accident, and that led into the colorist giving him red hair.

Trust me when I say they're not ever even getting close to implying Wally's on the JL again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Just a plain art mistake. The artist drew him with longer hair on accident, and that led into the colorist giving him red hair.

Trust me when I say they're not ever even getting close to implying Wally's on the JL again.

I've noticed a few of those errors from time to time. One example is in a Batgirl book a while back where, I guess either the colorist or the person putting the speech bubbles in did a switcheroo and had one character talk to the other seemingly about themself. It didn't help that both were female with similar length hair.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Bendis did respond to a question about which Flash that was with "Can't say until Doomsday Clock is over or I'm lying and someone screwed up" so unfortunately we will never know.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Tavarin posted:

Bendis did respond to a question about which Flash that was with "Can't say until Doomsday Clock is over or I'm lying and someone screwed up" so unfortunately we will never know.

Oh what the gently caress.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

BrianWilly posted:

Really? I thought the ending of this issue made it even more super duper clear that this whole storyline is about assembling the Outsiders. With Katana just showing up out of nowhere for...well, for no reason whatsoever that I can discern, and with the emphasis on the tech being Markovian so Geo-Force is probably gonna appear really soon, it felt a lot like they're trying to cram a bunch of Outsiders stuff in here when it should, nominally, at most, be a story about one single outsider (...heh) character trying to understand and fit in with this Gotham crowd.

I don't know, I feel like some of that might be vestigial from when this was an Outsiders relaunch. So many things are kind of weird about this arc and strike me as stinking of editorial influence--the fact that the solicits all mention "the Brainiac files" which have never been mentioned in the story, Duke being basically instantly written out of the story, the Outsiders references basically being limited to a few classic Outsiders characters and Markovia being mentioned every now and then... It feels like this arc was meant to be grander, and has been cut down to just a story about Batman and some of his allies fighting a weirdo from Markovia.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone try Sandman Universe?
I'm not caught up on the original stuff, but I'd definitely like to follow the Dreaming one with Bilquis Evely art if it seems jump-in-able.

You know how whenever DC has some big stuff happening in a few of their books they release a 10c or $1 or something cheap book to hype up upcoming storylines? Sandman Universe should have been that. The whole thing was basically a bunch of set-ups for the 4 new titles with an overarching storyline. It probably would have been better if the comic was $1 or so as well.
Personally I think I will stick to just the Dreaming book as none of the other things really hooked me (well maybe the Books of Magic did but I can trade wait that one).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/status/1027638101185896448

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Tavarin posted:

This means so little. There's no way he's setting up some weird plot point based on the end of Doomsday Clock that would spoil something happening in Doomsday Clock.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If that's a real quote, he's obviously joking about the part before the "or".

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 10, 2018

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Anyone know who the guy on the right is? Maybe Vigilante or Cluemaster?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recognize Black Mask, Onomatopoeia, Atomic Skull (How the hell did Robin capture him, Skull is a Superman villain that has super strength and the power to project super deadly radiation blasts.)

Don't know the other two.

Also it seems that the author and artist forgot that the skull is Roman's face. A side effect of having his original mask burned onto it then removed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Brother Blood, bud!

That could be Cluemaster's vest on the right, but a hood's not his thing (edit: or dogtags. Probably not him.) Definitely not the new Vigilante.

Did the real skull thing you're mentioning happen recently? He wore a gimp mask at the end of the N52 and an external metal mask in All-Star Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 10, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

Seven Soldiers in this week's Sideways :)
It's like they missed the whole point of 7S???

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Brother Blood, bud!

That could be Cluemaster's vest on the right, but a hood's not his thing (edit: or dogtags. Probably not him.) Definitely not the new Vigilante.

Did the real skull thing you're mentioning happen recently? He wore a gimp mask at the end of the N52 and an external metal mask in All-Star Batman.

I think Black Mask's mask is like Dr. Doom's. Sometimes it's fused to his face, sometimes it's hiding terrible scars, sometimes it's just a mask; it's whatever the writer wants.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They mention that this time it's different because there's only six of them.

Also, there's a 7S omnibus coming out this month.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teenage Fansub posted:

Brother Blood, bud!

To be exact it happened back in No Man's Land and had been kept. Pretty much back in Mask's original encounter with Batman he get his Ebony Mask burned onto his face. Years later he finally removes it during No Man's Land, and years of his skin being largely fused to it has scared and blackened the skin on his head. He actually never wears a mask again until the reboot. (Which also gave him hypnotic powers and has wisely been ignored since.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I think Black Mask's mask is like Dr. Doom's. Sometimes it's fused to his face, sometimes it's hiding terrible scars, sometimes it's just a mask; it's whatever the writer wants.

Dr Dooms mask was always a removable mask that was covering horrible scars, until he got fixed by Reed at the end of Secret Wars a few years ago and he tried to be a hero, I think that's all been undone though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Dr Dooms mask was always a removable mask that was covering horrible scars, until he got fixed by Reed at the end of Secret Wars a few years ago and he tried to be a hero, I think that's all been undone though.

I thought there were some stories where writers had him only be very slightly scarred but he wore the mask because of vanity and/or he viewed them as being worse because they came from RICHARRRDS :doom:.

But I could have cooked that up in my head I guess.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Flash 52: what? Barry gets all the speedsters he can gather from the Multiverse to ask 'Hey, you guys know of the Speed or Strength Force? No, oh okay. Well, thanks for all coming here for one or two interesting looking panels.' [runs away really fast]

Really awkward.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I thought there were some stories where writers had him only be very slightly scarred but he wore the mask because of vanity and/or he viewed them as being worse because they came from RICHARRRDS :doom:.

But I could have cooked that up in my head I guess.

You're on the right track. He was slightly scarred from the college lab explosion. Then he got expelled and went to Tibet. Made his armor with the monks and then like a dumbass put the mask on before it cools. So that really hosed up his face.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Based on Catwoman #2, it looks like 'poo poo' is now fine in the mainline T+ comics.

edit: Apparently Plastic Man #2 got a 'bullshit' in. That might've been the first. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/14/plastic-man-2-profanity-dc-comics/
Can't recall any in the other regular T+ titles, Deathstroke or Suicide Squad, when I was reading that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 11, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Based on Catwoman #2, it looks like 'poo poo' is now fine in the mainline T+ comics.

edit: Apparently Plastic Man #2 got a 'bullshit' in. That might've been the first. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/14/plastic-man-2-profanity-dc-comics/
Can't recall any in Deathstroke or Suicide Squad, when I was reading that.

Call me an old cranky man, but I'm not enjoying the trend of swearing showing up in so many comics now. I feel like you can tell mature stories that appeal to both kids and adults without swearing in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:shrug: I was watching Batman Returns again the other day (speaking of Catwoman) and it got a couple of 'shits' in. That's PG-13, while DC's guidelines recommend 15 and up for T+.
No reason for creators to be barred at that age range, especially with the comparative level of violence permitted.

The vast majority of comics, including regular Batman are still plain ol' T.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Is the new Plastic Man any good? I never hear anything about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I quit after two issues. Found it pretty awkward to read and not much fun. Enjoying Plas in The Terrifics, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Call me an old cranky man, but I'm not enjoying the trend of swearing showing up in so many comics now. I feel like you can tell mature stories that appeal to both kids and adults without swearing in it.

Swearing in comics is such a weird thing. Like, we have long recognized that Marvel/DC comics (never mind indie stuff) aren't really for children for the most part, but saying "bitch" is a big deal, never mind "poo poo" or "gently caress" which can be said in PG-13 movies. Comics really need to move past that.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
DC gets some flak, whenever they do stuff like that they get harangued across the internet because 'I grew up with these characters, how am I supposed to let my child read about Speedy when he's addicted to heroin, getting his arm chopped off and hitting people with cats?'

Look at the complaints about 'gently caress Batman,' how it's just edgy or out of character, even though Dick's probably told Batman off more than Jason Todd has.

That said it is hard to imagine Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman using 'adult' language, though it's easier to imagine their sidekicks and other legacy characters doing it. Even Alfred.

I think Michael Cray's story arcs have dragged too long. Killing the JLA was eh, but I get the idea that they're trying to show how monstrous or scary the JLA can seem from the views of others, or with just a shift in the circumstances of their creation, like Wonder Woman in New Frontier. The same writer (Bryan Hill) is doing Detective Comics right now and I really like it, even if I find the antagonist kinda lame.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 11, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's north American bullshit puritanism. You can have some kid get his arm graphically ripped off but don't you dare drop an "f" bomb. Let characters say poo poo as much as they want, especially if they are dealing with some kind of traumatic body injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also kids love swearing. they love it.