Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
dying daughter unboxing video surprise egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

was also slightly surprised to learn that EFF and similar groups are just a front for google et al.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rated PG-34 posted:

was also slightly surprised to learn that EFF and similar groups are just a front for google et al.

the recent yasha levine article on this was pretty good

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1027230013580431360

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

loling at the "if we do it to pets its OK to do it to people" combined with "I saw a tv bad guy do it"

quote:

“This can’t be inhumane because we do it to our pets,” he said in defense of the proposal.

Ludeman explained to a Toledo Blade reporter that he had seen many TV shows where fictional criminals were able to slip out of an ankle monitor to commit more crimes. He insisted that implanting microchips would be “painless” and “humane.”

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

gimme a sec, i've got the script for a l&o episode where the criminal wears a tinfoil glove around here somewhere

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ankle monitors are generally put on crazy-tight exactly so people can't slip out of them. Of course, there was that one time (that I know of) they put it on someone's artificial leg instead of their still-attached real leg. IIRC the criminal would simply take off the leg...so he could go to a bar.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

univbee posted:

Ankle monitors are generally put on crazy-tight exactly so people can't slip out of them. Of course, there was that one time (that I know of) they put it on someone's artificial leg instead of their still-attached real leg. IIRC the criminal would simply take off the leg...so he could go to a bar.

that was also a twist in the hit nintendo ds game 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

while we're on permanently disfiguring people while they're still literally presumed innocent why don't we just go back to fuckin' branding 'em loving goddamn :thermidor:

dont be mean to me has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Aug 10, 2018

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Trabisnikof posted:

loling at the "if we do it to pets its OK to do it to people" combined with "I saw a tv bad guy do it"

how long till we get to "sterilize the poor cause its ok for pets"

trick question - it's already being proposed somewhere

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

“This can’t be inhumane because we do it to our pets,” he said in defense of the proposal. "Single-payer healthcare should include veterinarians on death panels who are experienced in when to let patients go in order to cut costs."

The Nastier Nate posted:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Guess what year California stopped sterilizing inmates without informed consent?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

Guess what year California stopped sterilizing inmates without informed consent?

It's loving amazing that nobody seems to realize that California is the most conservative state in the union

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trabisnikof posted:

I genuinely expected this spoiler to be

never

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

"Inmates" "consent" :thunk:

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Trabisnikof posted:

Was that really a thing? o.O

Edit: At first I thought you meant castration, sorry English is not my mother language. You mean the other thing, right? Like applying some chemical to kill diseases and poo poo, right? lol

jerk irl has issued a correction as of 13:02 on Aug 10, 2018

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He means performing hysterectomies on women. Almost entirely Native American and black women.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I'll be honest I have no idea the details in California but that's usually what it is when it comes to nonconsentual sterilisation in the USA

I looked it up and apparently it was 'just' tubal ligation and Sacramento had to approve it but they were trying to bribe people with money under highly question circumstances (on top of them being prisoners)

Larry Parrish has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Aug 10, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lamebot posted:

dying daughter unboxing video surprise egg

lmao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

jerk irl posted:

Edit: At first I thought you meant castration, sorry English is not my mother language. You mean the other thing, right? Like applying some chemical to kill diseases and poo poo, right? lol

No you were right the first time. "this is america".jpg

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

jerk irl posted:

Eugenics was a pretty hot topic in the US for a while, and a lot of states created sterilization programs of some sort targeted at poor people, criminals, and/or minorities

Public enthusiasm for eugenics dropped off pretty steeply due to WWII, but many of the programs that already existed were quietly continued in the background

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

It's loving amazing that nobody seems to realize that California is the most conservative state in the union

this is so v true

between all the nimbyism and fygm poo poo the bay area is one of the worst imo

chud with money = liberal

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Food Boner posted:

this is so v true

between all the nimbyism and fygm poo poo the bay area is one of the worst imo

chud with money = liberal

Chuds with money are still chuds

Libs are greedy cowards with a pathological need to be like by everyone

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
chud = fascist

liberal = fascist that hasnt been inconvenienced

by the transitive property

liberal = chud

q.e.d.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The difference between a liberal conservative state and a religious one is pretty much only abortion funding

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1027951997306187776

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

99% sure that's the software GEICO uses

I had heard about the "no bathroom break" thing before I interviewed there a few years back, and when I brought it up the interviewer looked noticeably uncomfortable and tried to downplay it

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

quote:

When we say the workplace is one of the premier sites of modern autocracy, when we say that outside the prison, it may be the most complete and comprehensive institution of domination and degradation, this, among other things, is what we mean.

see my custom title

Catboy Autonomist has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Aug 11, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i was jogging around my nearby stripmall this morning and the sidewalks were packed with pokezombies shuffling around and staring down at their phones, some even had two phones. jfc

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shear Modulus posted:

the recent yasha levine article on this was pretty good

link plz

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

workers, organize!

a highly paid nerd is still a proletarian

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

a highly paid nerd is a piece of poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Prav posted:

a highly paid nerd is a piece of poo poo

true

but they can become allies if you butter them up and/or threaten them on their life

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/all-effd-up-levine

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

fails immediately on SOPA, where the effective work was 100% Wikipedia. (I was one of the guys who spent two days doing press.) Author glosses over that because it's inconvenient to the narrative. Also, if your argument concludes "wow, it turns out I think all the stuff the RIAA advocates is good actually!" then that's a reductio ad absurdum.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

divabot posted:

fails immediately on SOPA, where the effective work was 100% Wikipedia. (I was one of the guys who spent two days doing press.) Author glosses over that because it's inconvenient to the narrative. Also, if your argument concludes "wow, it turns out I think all the stuff the RIAA advocates is good actually!" then that's a reductio ad absurdum.

your a nerdo ad absurdum.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

divabot posted:

that's a reductio ad absurdum.

I never read Harry Potter so I don't know what this means

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/talkers/family-details-daughters-escape-from-mayo-clinic

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Sounds like that mom was a nightmare. Let me speak to your manager I am a PRAYER WARRIOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yeah that's really weird alright, makes me wonder if they hospital somehow got her confused with another patient.