Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So that would be like what? 30-miles a day, half of which is up a large mountain?

Plan is to push a bit the first couple of days, try to get there for sunrise of third day, then descend and spend most of the 3rd day resting, walk back 4th-5th day at a bit more of a leisurely pace. Friend has done 60km walk plus ~5 hour mountain climb before without much issue or soreness the next day; he'll probably be good. I'm definitely less fit so it will be up to if I can keep up. I haven't done more than ~40km per day for a while and my cardio isn't as good.

Edit: I know it's potentially a difficult pace but it's all on well maintained mostly straight roads, and for a few days; this isn't some AT through hike where we need to maintain it for weeks

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I would just take a bus there and actually enjoy the hike up Fuji but maybe I'm just soft. 40 plus a day on pavement and then up a mountain is some The Long Walk poo poo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
That’s kinda the point

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Looking for advice on avoiding heel blisters. This isn't really a new thing, I've been getting them from lots of different types of shoe for a long rear end time. But now, in my 40s, I want to be more outdoorsy and where I live now, in Switzerland, there are lots of mixed trail/alpine stuff that boots are useful for. I got a cash gift from a relative a couple years ago and bought some boots and a daypack and we've been using them a couple times a month since then so they're well broken in. Here are the boots:

I wear wool hiking socks and I make sure I'm laced up tight before any uphill sections. I'm basically problem free on rolling hills and descending but there were a few steep sections on the trail yesterday and now my feet are wrecked, specifically the heel above the achilles. This is not a particularly difficult hike, especially not by Swiss standards. I'd like to do longer and more difficult trails and do more walking holidays but if I get blisters like this, that'll be me out of commission for a few days while my heels grow back. Anyone have any prevention or treatment tips?

Pic from yesterday's hike: Daubensee, Switzerland

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

Looking ahead! It looks like next week I’ll be in Idaho Falls for about 6 nights. I’ll save Teton/Yellowstone for when I’m in Wyoming, which happens more often than Idaho. I’m thinking maybe Moon Crater National Monument and Upper Mesa falls? I really don’t want to drive farther than ~1.5 hours to get there.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I don't know if your week's already up but I was going to recommend hole in the wall near Mackay. There's a big hole in a cliff and water gushes out of it, it's pretty cool

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

greazeball posted:

Looking for advice on avoiding heel blisters. This isn't really a new thing, I've been getting them from lots of different types of shoe for a long rear end time. But now, in my 40s, I want to be more outdoorsy and where I live now, in Switzerland, there are lots of mixed trail/alpine stuff that boots are useful for. I got a cash gift from a relative a couple years ago and bought some boots and a daypack and we've been using them a couple times a month since then so they're well broken in. Here are the boots:

I wear wool hiking socks and I make sure I'm laced up tight before any uphill sections. I'm basically problem free on rolling hills and descending but there were a few steep sections on the trail yesterday and now my feet are wrecked, specifically the heel above the achilles. This is not a particularly difficult hike, especially not by Swiss standards. I'd like to do longer and more difficult trails and do more walking holidays but if I get blisters like this, that'll be me out of commission for a few days while my heels grow back. Anyone have any prevention or treatment tips?

I feel obligated to start with throw the boots away, buy trail runners, and lace them up using the heel lock eyelets. I had those exact boots maybe 10 years ago and moved to trail runners and never looked back.

But supposing you don't want to do that or are dealing with winter conditions, try either a liner sock and a very thin wool socks together or tape up your heel with leukotape.

I personally prefer tape but some people are sensitive to the adhesive.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

funkymonks posted:

I feel obligated to start with throw the boots away, buy trail runners, and lace them up using the heel lock eyelets. I had those exact boots maybe 10 years ago and moved to trail runners and never looked back.

But supposing you don't want to do that or are dealing with winter conditions, try either a liner sock and a very thin wool socks together or tape up your heel with leukotape.

I seem to have given myself a latex adhesive allergy from using leukotape a lot on a trip which sucks because it stays in place really well

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

greazeball posted:

drat! That's a spectacular looking hike!

I'm not an expert on foot issues, but Internet Wizard had some really great advice in the Gear thread about better locking your feet into shoes. Try cutting out a piece of blue ccf foam and putting it under the laces on your boots (above the tongue). That'll lock in your feet and prevent them from slipping around.

Also how you lace your boots matters... You can lace them depending on what kind of issues you're having to selectively lock in different parts of your feet. I think this is the video that discussed that:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
2 Toms sport shield is a miracle and will never leave my pack, for both blisters and thigh chafing

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 13, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Holy poo poo Mammoth Cave

lot's more photos to come!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Moria is looking good since they kicked out those squatters.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

The Walrus posted:

I would just take a bus there and actually enjoy the hike up Fuji but maybe I'm just soft. 40 plus a day on pavement and then up a mountain is some The Long Walk poo poo
I'm glad in not the only hiker to have read that. Could never get my hiking buddy to read it.

But even 40mi on a road sounds terrible. Forest service roads are hard enough on feet, let alone something with pavement. You basically need a pair of walking shoes and a pair of boots for that trip.

Also, heel blisters: Tape. I use athletic tape. Maybe that leukotape (does it cause cancer?) is needed if you're hiking through 30ft streams all day, but athletic tape holds for many miles.

Oddly enough when I got bigger boots (+1--1.5 length, +1 wide, so I could fit better insoles) most of my blister problems went away. I have very few if any calluses.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Plan is to push a bit the first couple of days, try to get there for sunrise of third day, then descend and spend most of the 3rd day resting, walk back 4th-5th day at a bit more of a leisurely pace. Friend has done 60km walk plus ~5 hour mountain climb before without much issue or soreness the next day; he'll probably be good. I'm definitely less fit so it will be up to if I can keep up. I haven't done more than ~40km per day for a while and my cardio isn't as good.

Edit: I know it's potentially a difficult pace but it's all on well maintained mostly straight roads, and for a few days; this isn't some AT through hike where we need to maintain it for weeks

...are you gonna try to do 3700+ meters of vertical ascent in one day?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh cool! Was that on top of frozen Niagra on the historic tour?

Which tours did you all do? We were only able to hit the Grand Avenue and Historic tours while we were there, plus a few surface hikes to the River Styx spring and sand cave collapse.

Im looking forward to seeing your shots... I really struggled to get anything decent in there, one because of the dark and the lighting, but mainly because it was tough to pause for more than a second or two as you're hurried along in a throng of a hundred people. Probably would've been a lot better to carry a DSLR instead of my phone, lol.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Weather in the White Mountains was gorgeous last Friday/Saturday. While southern NH was swampy in the high 80s, Waterville Valley was a crisp 65-70 degrees with no humidity and a nice breeze.

This was a brief trial for my new GG Kumo. I had it with a lot more weight than necessary for a day hike to see how it carries. It still practically disappears with 15lbs in it. Overall it's a much more comfortable bag than the Osprey it is replacing.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

funkymonks posted:

Levitate posted:

I seem to have given myself a latex adhesive allergy from using leukotape a lot on a trip which sucks because it stays in place really well

OSU_Matthew posted:

drat! That's a spectacular looking hike!

I'm not an expert on foot issues, but Internet Wizard had some really great advice in the Gear thread about better locking your feet into shoes. Try cutting out a piece of blue ccf foam and putting it under the laces on your boots (above the tongue). That'll lock in your feet and prevent them from slipping around.

Also how you lace your boots matters... You can lace them depending on what kind of issues you're having to selectively lock in different parts of your feet. I think this is the video that discussed that:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc

The Walrus posted:

2 Toms sport shield is a miracle and will never leave my pack, for both blisters and thigh chafing

Thank you all! I'm gonna get some leukotape and sock liners and then order some 2Toms when I'm back in the states and don't have to pay $30 for international shipping. Also I'm gonna try some new lacing techniques. Thanks again!

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

funkymonks posted:

Weather in the White Mountains was gorgeous last Friday/Saturday. While southern NH was swampy in the high 80s, Waterville Valley was a crisp 65-70 degrees with no humidity and a nice breeze.

Nice, Osceola? Looks like you made it right before the weather got lovely this weekend.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Yes, Osceola. Somehow I deleted the sentence describing what I hiked. I started at the Tripoli Rd trailhead and did the 6ish mile out and back. Tripoli Rd has some cool looking trail heads but man it is in rough shape. Took me an hour to get up 93 from Manchester and almost another 20 mins to go the 4ish miles on the dirt road.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh cool! Was that on top of frozen Niagra on the historic tour?

Which tours did you all do? We were only able to hit the Grand Avenue and Historic tours while we were there, plus a few surface hikes to the River Styx spring and sand cave collapse.

Yep top of Niagra in that shot. I did the same two, and spent the rest of the day doing some trail running top side. I got into KY a day later than I had planned so all my plans got shifted but I'll be going back soon to do the full day advanced tour. It was so great. Here's some from the Avenue. I ended up pretty sick from the cold damp air though after having a long week of lots of exercise and being exhausted from that, so take a jacket (I had pants and a hoodie on the entire time) and beware if you have respiratory problems. How did you get so close to the Styx spring? The trail I went down ended at an boardwalk overlook but the signs everywhere said not to leave that trail because of an ongoing restoration project and going off trail in NPs is a big no no.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

Yep top of Niagra in that shot. I did the same two, and spent the rest of the day doing some trail running top side. I got into KY a day later than I had planned so all my plans got shifted but I'll be going back soon to do the full day advanced tour. It was so great. Here's some from the Avenue. I ended up pretty sick from the cold damp air though after having a long week of lots of exercise and being exhausted from that, so take a jacket (I had pants and a hoodie on the entire time) and beware if you have respiratory problems. How did you get so close to the Styx spring? The trail I went down ended at an boardwalk overlook but the signs everywhere said not to leave that trail because of an ongoing restoration project and going off trail in NPs is a big no no.

Yeah, I know which sign you're talking about... I looked at it for a few seconds, and it's not exactly clear whether it's referring to the prominent trail right of the boardwalk or the boardwalk itself. Not to mention that judging by how compacted the soil was on the trail, vegetation won't be growing there for years or even decades anyways.

Underground is one thing, because a little bit of skin oil will permanently mar the growth of formations down there, but it's not like most of the areas aboveground are a pristine untouched wilderness that wasn't clear cut and farmed for generations. There's one overlook somewhere in the park that has some aging signage with photos from maybe thirtyish years ago showing a nice looking valley in the distance, but is now completely obscured by trees and other growth.

LNT and all, not to mention it's the quantity of visitors in the aggregate that damages an area, but I'm not losing any sleep over having hiked down that path.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Morbus posted:

...are you gonna try to do 3700+ meters of vertical ascent in one day?

That's what people tend to do on Mt. Fuji

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is there a point to this lol? Like is it a pilgrimage or just some immensely unpleasant-sounding thing you can say you did or what

Morbus
May 18, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

People "tend" to just take a bus or w/e to Shinjuku and do the ascent from there, which is a far more reasonable ~1500m of gain or something like that. Most people doing the whole thing do it in at least 2 days.

I'm not saying you can't do* it, but ~12000ft of elevation gain in one day would be considered extremely brutal even for very seasoned individuals, and if you want to make it to the summit for sunrise most of this will be done at night.

Anyway I'd strongly advise getting at least a few 2000+ meter cumulative elevation gain days under your belt beforehand.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

People "tend" to just take a bus or w/e to Shinjuku and do the ascent from there, which is a far more reasonable ~1500m of gain or something like that. Most people doing the whole thing do it in at least 2 days.

I'm not saying you can't do* it, but ~12000ft of elevation gain in one day would be considered extremely brutal even for very seasoned individuals, and if you want to make it to the summit for sunrise most of this will be done at night.

Anyway I'd strongly advise getting at least a few 2000+ meter cumulative elevation gain days under your belt beforehand.

A 2000+ meter day is what I did climbing out of the Grand Canyon, for perspective, and that was tough enough. I can't imagine a 40 mile day, especially right before an ascent like that, that's insane... seasoned AT through hikers target half that distance for a good day once they're broken in on the trail and have their hiking legs. Hell, it took me drat near ten hours nonstop to do 23 miles earlier this year on the EGGS hike (though a lot of that was slogging through mud, deep water, and up lovely trails).

All of this is not to even mention that poo poo is just more difficult when you're at elevation because your body can't oxygenate its blood as easily.

Ridiculously cool hike I want to do myself one of these days, but try and set some benchmarks for yourself beforehand so you can plan more realistically.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just wanted to reminisce for a second on my favorite AT memory.

A year ago today I woke up and enjoyed a cup of coffee completely by myself at the Lonesome Lake. Franconia Ridge would later be socked in with freezing rain and be absolutely miserable, but at that moment in time it was perfect. Nature is rad as hell and it’s amazingly powerful to experience things like this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hiked to Skyscraper Reservoir up above Nederland yesterday. That was a really pretty hike.

This is also the hike that convinced me I need to learn how to fly fish. So many good spots on that trail.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 16, 2018

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

LimburgLimbo posted:

As a counterpoint, I don't think a day hike up and down from the base of Mt. Fuji (~3,000 meters?) is insane at all, just challenging. I do think it's something you need to know you're fit enough to do after covering 100+ km in two days just to get there. That's... not totally the impression that I'm getting, so make sure you're not going to burn out on the climb because you pushed the pace on the road there. If you're not used to multi-day treks then you'll definitely be climbing tired.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As someone that has done 66 miles and 12k ft elevation in a day I'd say make sure you are packing very light, have all manner of foot care supplies, more calories and water than you think you need, and a good bail out plan. It's certainly doable and will be a great day if you're prepared.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Morbus posted:

Suddenly I'm thinking of Cactus to Clouds, which is supposed to be a pretty brutal trek at like ~12 miles and 10,000 ft of climbing starting at like 1:00am to beat the desert heat at the base; and then you take the cable car/tram/whatever back down

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I finally ponied up the cash for some nice Scarpa boots that were on sale on Backcountry. After doing a short day hike to test them out, I think I realize what my feet have been missing out on. I'd previously been just using some old Timberland hiking boots.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Had a wander up the Pointes de Mourti here in Switzerland.

Looking from the bottom:

From the top

What an awesome day :)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Jealous. That whole area above Moiry is spectacular and I've not had time to head up there this year

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

wtf how many swiss goons are there in here? I'm going to be in Crans Montana next week, probably take it pretty easy and follow some of the bisses

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So last week I did Mt Beulah in a day. It's a remote peak in Utah that sees maybe 2 people a year. I've done maybe 90 something mountains and this one is in the top 2 for roughest hikes. Took 14 hours and was only 17 miles round trip with 4200 feet of elevation.

The ridgeline was straight nasty.

This tower was fun to go around, thankfully it didn't crumble anymore while I went around.

The views from the top were pretty great.

I didn't take a picture of the super lovely part which was ascending a gully with a shitload of loose rock. Like I got to the top of the gully and realized it was going to be a long day and I should just turn around. But you know how you do something that's really no fun and you never want to do it again? So I just kept going. But gently caress climbing up this ridge

You know what I take it back, I do have a picture. I climbed a mountain across the valley the week before called North Cathedral. It inspired me to climb Beulah cause if a bunch of other people braved it then surely I could too. But just look at this crap. You really got to want it sometimes and when it comes to mountains I'm a stubborn bastard. Anyway if you're ever in Utah and want to suffer on some absurd hikes you are more than welcome to join in on the fun

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 19, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: Got it solved at the store!

I have a question about my first pair of hiking pants I picked up today. I’ve only done summer/desert hiking so it’s been 100% shorts until now. What I got were some prAna stretch Zion’s in my regular pants size. Very comfortable, very flexible when I move, but I’m wondering if I got the right length. They cover my ankles and rest lightly on my shoes when walking, but if I bring a knee to my chest, they come off my shoes about half an inch. Do I want my hiking pants to rest on my shoes and cover my ankle even when squatting? For reference, they fit just like the stock image here:

I’m thinking I’m just overthinking it but they weren’t cheap so I’d like to make sure I’m not going to regret taking the tags off.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 20, 2018

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rolo posted:

I have a question about my first pair of hiking pants I picked up today. I’ve only done summer/desert hiking so it’s been 100% shorts until now. What I got were some prAna stretch Zion’s in my regular pants size. Very comfortable, very flexible when I move, but I’m wondering if I got the right length. They cover my ankles and rest lightly on my shoes when walking, but if I bring a knee to my chest, they come off my shoes about half an inch. Do I want my hiking pants to rest on my shoes and cover my ankle even when squatting? For reference, they fit just like the stock image here:

I’m thinking I’m just overthinking it but they weren’t cheap so I’d like to make sure I’m not going to regret taking the tags off.

I wear dress pants long enough to just not touch the floor, but hiking pants are probably better off a bit high to avoid tracking mud and dirt into the tent. YMMV.

Starch Zion’s are awesome..

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ropes4u posted:

I wear dress pants long enough to just not touch the floor, but hiking pants are probably better off a bit high to avoid tracking mud and dirt into the tent. YMMV.

Starch Zion’s are awesome..

Yeah I’m gonna go try on some longer ones tomorrow to make sure, but I think I’m just being paranoid.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DaNerd posted:

There's tons of places to just post up on that area. I went from CA to NY and only spent one night in hostel when I stopped in SLC.

Edit: I found this site to be a handy resource: https://www.campendium.com

That site was amazing. Thanks! We found dispersed spots in great locations every night we camped (which was every night except in Moab).

OSU_Matthew posted:

If I you're going to be out near Arches, definitely spend a day or two in Moab and visit Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. Canyonlands is great to experience as a drive with the audio tour from the visitors center. I stayed at Moab Valley RV resort in a cabin, and that place was great--65$ a night for a nice cabin with AC and a nice pool/hottub. Moab is just such a cool town, I can't recommend it highly enough!

Also be sure to hit up Mesa Verde on your way down to New Mexico, it's an hourish or two from Moab (Arches). That's the home of the Peubloan (modern day Hopi) Cliff Dwellers, and there's just so much to see out there.

I think you can pretty much do whatever you want on BLM land, shouldn't be an issue to camp there. National Forests are generally free to dispersed camp as well.

North Rim of the Grand Canyon it's also a great idea, I think it gets about 10% of the visitors as the South Rim.

If you can get up to Southwestern Colorado, that's also an incredible place--especially out near Durango. Pagosa has hot springs tapped and pooled near the river that runs through town, the Durango - Silverton railroad is awesome, and the Old Hundred Gold Mine tour near Silverton is well worth a trip out there. If you've got time or a 4x4 vehicle, Animus Forks Ghost town near Silverton is absolutely worth a day's excursion.

Thanks for the tips! We skipped North Rim and Page, as it was too far out of the way given the time we had. Sounds like there ended up being wildfires around the north rim that resulted in a lot of closures, so it might have been for the best. The Moab cabins were up to $95 when we came through Moab so we just stayed somewhere more in the middle of town for a similar price (needed a break from camping at that point in the trip). We did rent the Canyonlands audio tour though! While were in Moab all the smoke from the CA fires caught up with us, which had a huge effect on visibility and air quality, so we hightailed it to higher elevations in CO. Spent a few nights camping an hiking in the San Juans, and also checked out Durango and Silverton.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Glad it worked out for y'all, sounds like you had a great trip!

That's too bad about the North Rim though, hopefully you can meet it there some time in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went backpacking at the thunder mountain lakes in washingtons apline lakes wilderness. Really awesome hike. IIRC, about 14 miles RT, and ~4k elevation gain to an alpine lake surrounded by granite with 2-3 peaks that are 300' and easy class 3 scrambling. The lake is really clear. Another lake of similar size is about 300 feet below.

It was an awesome hike and one of my new favorite places. Friday night was clear with clouds rolling in early evening but clearing out during the night but I was too tired to take any night time shots on what would be the only clear night of the weekend. Got up to piss around 3am and it was so foggy with a headlamp I could only see about 5 feet in front of me. Woke up Sat am to smoke. Wind had changed direction from westward to eastward. It stayed smokey the whole weekend.

We scrambled every peak around the lake, swam and watched the smokey sunset. We chatted with PCT hikers who were nearly finished with 3-4 months of hiking. Overall it was a great weekend.

A few pics, but I took a poo poo ton more. All taken with a Sony RX100m2