Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

jokes posted:

Yeah but a lot of antennas do both. It's just that in the process of making it work for both, the antenna loses reliability with VHF signal apparently.

This probably isn't the place for a VHF/UHF primer but here are some basics (I work in the broadcast industry):

Both have been around for decades. Your parents, grandparents, or if you are an old gently caress like me, yourself, are quite used to this, just with analog signals instead of digital.

The decision around which stations transmit in VHF vs. UHF for the purposes of HDTV transmissions in the US was made decades ago, in the late 90's, and is often dependent on what the station in a particular market was using for analog transmission. Some markets these days have only UHF, which is generally preferred. Many have both. No broad market area that I know of in the continental US uses VHF only though I am sure there are exceptions to the rule somewhere.

VHF operates in the lower frequency band, generally the spectrum between 54-216 MHz (more specifically, certain ranges inside that). The wavelength of these frequencies is longer than UHF and more susceptible to interference, physical obstructions, metal (such as radiant reflectors installed in many houses and buildings in hotter areas, such as the American South) and so on. Said signals have weak reflection properties and as such generally operate best via line of sight. I'm oversimplifying quite a bit here so if a broadcast engineer wants to jump in and nitpick have at it.

UHF wavelengths for HDTV operate in the range of 470-890MHz and as a result are much shorter (literally), reflect much better, and to make a very long explanation short (pun!) are easier for smaller antennas or those with a lot of obstructions in the way to pick up. Again, generally speaking.

The primary cause of poor VHF reception when it comes to modern, practical purposes with HDTV, is small, indoor multi-directional antennas. These can, and do, work, but you better be close to the VHF tower (under 15 miles is ideal if it is transmitting at a good power level...and not all do, depending on local conditions, regulations, cost concerns, and so on). And the fewer obstructions - particularly any metal close to the antenna - the better due to the issues outlined above. UHF has the same general concerns but is much more forgiving overall.

Indoors, a well positioned directional antenna - or at least one that allows you to align the VHF element - with said element properly aligned towards the tower can help. Attic antennas are the next step up, since A) they can be positioned higher, which can mitigate external obstructions B) the elements can (and should) be larger because it's hidden in an attic so who gives a poo poo what it looks like and C) You probably (though not always) will have an easier time positioning it in an ideal spot. Of special note is the aforementioned radiant shielding installed in many attics, particularly down south - good luck pointing an antenna towards a tower with that in the way if it isn't close by and transmitting at high power. In that case many people (and I am one of them) actually find it better to mount it lower in the attic, aligned towards wooden joists/etc. or other spots where there is a gap in the shielding.

Fun fact: the stereotypical "rabbit ears" you still find in a lot of antennas (and were quite common years ago) are for VHF. The shorter "loop" is for UHF. You've probably seen indoor table-top type antennas like this. Newer-style "flat" unidirectional antennas combine both elements (usually), not always with the greatest level of success.

Outdoor antennas are the best, generally, for the same reason as attic except you also avoid another layer of obstruction and in some cases can position it even higher. This isn't always practical, of course. These days it's not practical at all more often than it is for a variety of reasons.

Special note on signal boosters/amplifiers - a common misconception is that these somehow boost the ability of the antenna to pick up signals. Not true. They boost the signal that the antenna gets in the first place. It won't boost what the antenna isn't already getting. It can help in some circumstances with weaker signals that are right on the margin however really they are used to boost the signal coming out of the antenna down the cable. This is useful for long cable runs, or cable runs that go in to a distribution box (in the latter case it may make more sense to power said box, otherwise make sure the power injector is inserted in the cable before it reaches said box).

I.e. if you are installing one of those flat behind the TV antennas and have a 3 foot cable running from it to your TV (or HDHR, etc.) an amp is not likely going to help and in fact can make things worse since it amplifies every aspect of the signal coming in, good and bad, and can distort it.

The TL;DR of all this is check Antennaweb, the Winegard app, whatever, and get both an accurate picture of where the towers broadcasting the stations you need are, and what frequency band they are using. This will help you both pick the right kind of antenna and where to put it. You could also just buy a flat antenna that has good reviews off Amazon, slap it up behind your TV, and hope for the best. It might even work. Just don't be shocked if it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ended up buying like 20 of these from eBay and giving them out as gifts

They work like poo poo if connected straight into the TV, but if you hook them up to a coax cable and feed it to a window/line-of-sight of a window they work excellent

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I complain about DTVN picture quality a lot but I'm watching the World Cup final at my parents house and they have Optimum and holy poo poo the picture quality is worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, all of the OTT providers have better picture quality than any of the traditional MSOs, including FiOS.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Cable-rear end cable has really gotten extra terrible about compression. There are channels that honestly would be better off at 480p with the bitrate they've been given.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Matt Zerella posted:

I complain about DTVN picture quality a lot but I'm watching the World Cup final at my parents house and they have Optimum and holy poo poo the picture quality is worse.

Yeah picture quality with DTVN is straight up better than either Optimum or FIOS.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ixian posted:

Very useful signal post

I did some fuckin' around and getting the Leaf 50 placed high in our apartment solved the problem. I was considering getting some rabbit ears solely for VHF signal.

It was fun watching live ABC via DTVN come in with poo poo resolution, presumably because of their compression hijinks and comparing it to the antenna and getting it much, much more clear. I've heard rumors that a lot of OTT and cable providers just take an antenna signal and compress it for their customers in certain areas.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jokes posted:

I did some fuckin' around and getting the Leaf 50 placed high in our apartment solved the problem. I was considering getting some rabbit ears solely for VHF signal.

It was fun watching live ABC via DTVN come in with poo poo resolution, presumably because of their compression hijinks and comparing it to the antenna and getting it much, much more clear. I've heard rumors that a lot of OTT and cable providers just take an antenna signal and compress it for their customers in certain areas.

Those aren't rumors that is exactly what they do, all of them everywhere. Your average channel piped over a bandwidth constrained cable or satellite link is likely going to be compressed to the 5Mbps-10Mbps range, usually mpeg-4/h.264 - and 10 is if you are lucky (or, in the case of some broadcasters like Discovery, they've negotiate minimum bitrates in to their contracts). OTA signals are 19.2Mbps Mpeg-2, though obviously if you have something like Plex or an HDHR re-encoding it you'll get that sent to your TV - though at least there you have a measure of control.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ixian posted:

Those aren't rumors that is exactly what they do, all of them everywhere. Your average channel piped over a bandwidth constrained cable or satellite link is likely going to be compressed to the 5Mbps-10Mbps range, usually mpeg-4/h.264 - and 10 is if you are lucky (or, in the case of some broadcasters like Discovery, they've negotiate minimum bitrates in to their contracts). OTA signals are 19.2Mbps Mpeg-2, though obviously if you have something like Plex or an HDHR re-encoding it you'll get that sent to your TV - though at least there you have a measure of control.

Most cable companies are still doing mpeg2, which at those bitrates...yikes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ixian posted:

Good post on UHF/VHF

The whole VHF thing is definitely something I've never considered for my antenna, as there is exactly one channel I cannot get, no matter how hard I try. I didn't have any issues getting it at my old apartment which had a pretty much straight unobscured line of sight to the Cincinnati stations. In the new apartment, I have a lot more in the way, but at least I get the Dayton stations too so I'm not missing the CW and CBS.

I've got an old Radio Shack, double bow-tie with reflector (sadly, discontinued like 10 years ago now), perched high atop a bookshelf, in my room pointed at Cincinnati, and fed back through the pre-installed Time Warner cable junction box, it works pretty great.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I have ps vue and just installed a new device (Fire TV 4k) and now I can't rewind or fast forward live tv. I can pause tv but when I try and go backwards (or forwards after a pause), it doesn't do anything and tells me to restart the program. It's like it builds some kind of buffer because it allows me to pause but never lets me travel across that buffer.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did you fix it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RevKrule posted:

I have ps vue and just installed a new device (Fire TV 4k) and now I can't rewind or fast forward live tv. I can pause tv but when I try and go backwards (or forwards after a pause), it doesn't do anything and tells me to restart the program. It's like it builds some kind of buffer because it allows me to pause but never lets me travel across that buffer.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did you fix it?

The only time I've seen that when I used PSVue was for live sports. But I just figured "eh, it's sports. they're super weird and specific about their broadcasts"

Have you tried it on a different device? Like phone/tablet/PC?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've also seen that with live sports on PSVue. After the game completes and changes to a DVR recording the fast-forward / rewind works normally.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Except this isn't live sports. This is every channel. I have 4 different devices in my house that stream ps vue. 2 of them (an original 2014 Fire TV and a 2015 Fire TV 4k) stream Vue just fine and I can forward and backward through shows all day long (within normal limitations like the 4 minute pause buffer or with on demand content with commercials). The other 2 devices (a brand new Fire TV 4k pendant and a sony 930e tv), I can only back/forth through shows if they're in the DVR section.

So it's not just sports and it's not all devices.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Most cable companies are still doing mpeg2, which at those bitrates...yikes

Depends on the local franchise (monopoly) and often even the channel,; these days the trend is mpeg-4 simply because they can cram more poo poo in. Switched video (think U-Verse, etc.) was supposed to alleviate this but in practice...well. That said yes mpeg-2 is still widely used around the country still.

Iron Crowned posted:

The whole VHF thing is definitely something I've never considered for my antenna, as there is exactly one channel I cannot get, no matter how hard I try. I didn't have any issues getting it at my old apartment which had a pretty much straight unobscured line of sight to the Cincinnati stations. In the new apartment, I have a lot more in the way, but at least I get the Dayton stations too so I'm not missing the CW and CBS.

I've got an old Radio Shack, double bow-tie with reflector (sadly, discontinued like 10 years ago now), perched high atop a bookshelf, in my room pointed at Cincinnati, and fed back through the pre-installed Time Warner cable junction box, it works pretty great.

I'm guessing the channel is probably Fox which due to its later entry in the broadcast arena (remember that until the late 80's there were really 3 "big" broadcast networks in the US, not 4) went VHF in a lot of markets for a lot of reasons...which worked out ok, more or less, when TV signals were analog. Digital transmissions are less forgiving.

Not always the case today of course, and there are several Fox markets that broadcast in UHF but it is more common than not to find them at the lower VHF end of the spectrum. Whereas in the 90's what is now the CW (used to be two networks, The WB and UPN, Google it) went the other direction for similar reasons and found themselves in a better position when digital OTA became widespread.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else having tons of problems with directv now since they rolled out their update? I pretty regularly have to exit the app because it just goes to some technical issues screen and it has even crashed my TV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just discovered the Wipeout channel on Pluto TV. It’s exactly what it sounds like: 24/7 of the show Wipeout. So far I’ve only seen a few episodes from the Australian and Canadian versions. Not sure if they have the licensing rights for the US version.

I mean, it’s no MXC, but it still scratches that itch of seeing people volunteer to receive blunt force trauma to the head.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This looks pretty good: https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/01/vizio-adds-100-free-streaming-channels-smartcast-tvs/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Noticed yesterday while watching Castle Rock that Hulu has enabled DD 5.1 sound for Hulu Originals for LG's WebOS app. Finally, it took them long enough to add modern sound.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Huh. I'll give that a go.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s just Pluto, it’s a pretty cool service but it’s already on every stream box out there pretty much.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Pluto is pretty cool. If it had been available when I was on my own in my 20's I would have loved it. I can afford much better now but man, that would have been awesome back then. All I could afford was rabbit ears that got me Telemundo, UPN, a whole host of religious channels and Fox. I don't speak Spanish.

Pluto also has a channel called Eye Candy. It's pretty much the Look At These Butts channel and that just cracks me up every time I think about it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Pluto is pretty cool. If it had been available when I was on my own in my 20's I would have loved it. I can afford much better now but man, that would have been awesome back then. All I could afford was rabbit ears that got me Telemundo, UPN, a whole host of religious channels and Fox. I don't speak Spanish.

Pluto also has a channel called Eye Candy. It's pretty much the Look At These Butts channel and that just cracks me up every time I think about it.

What cracks me up is the IT'S TIME FOR A COMMERCIAL NO MATTER WHAT, cutting off things sometimes mid-sentence. At least when they come back from the ads, they rewind 3 or 4 seconds.

I've recently discovered they have a Wipeout channel for the UK/CA/AUS version of the show. Also a dedicated New Detectives channel.

Pluto.tv is a legit good service.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Croatoan posted:

Eye Candy is pretty unintentionally hilarious. They have a formula and they're going to get there, no matter how ludicrous it is. And it's not actually very titillating, even as attractive as the women are.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LoL the channel +/- buttons on my Smartcast TV work as page up/down, only it goes in the opposite direction of the guide on screen. Hilarious. Also, like all apps on this thing with an on screen interface, it runs like absolute rear end because the hardware wasn't specced to be an actual smart TV.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My favorite PlutoTV channel is "Slow TV", where it's just a POV of trains chugging along through the Norwegian countrysides. My son loves it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

LoL the channel +/- buttons on my Smartcast TV work as page up/down, only it goes in the opposite direction of the guide on screen. Hilarious. Also, like all apps on this thing with an on screen interface, it runs like absolute rear end because the hardware wasn't specced to be an actual smart TV.

I guess the logic is + increases channel numbers, but yeah that’s a weird one.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FCKGW posted:

My favorite PlutoTV channel is "Slow TV", where it's just a POV of trains chugging along through the Norwegian countrysides. My son loves it.

Thanks for pointing this out, my son also loves trains. We watch some Rocky Mountain blu ray all the time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

God drat that channel is awesome. I’ll throw that on, sit on the couch with all the animals, and just drink some beer.

They have some weird, but oddly satisfying channels like that. I remember when they put on the Gorilla Channel after the Trump thing. I went to it to see what they were showing and stayed because gorilla’s are awesome.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

FCKGW posted:

got the channel and am watching pov trains right now 10/10

many thanks for this suggestion!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah all these new channels are great, thanks!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just wanted to add that the Pluto service is way better than I remembered. Trains are good, but also Springer! And several movies I've heard of!

The best thing is that there's zero set up process or enrollment. Go to their website and it just starts playing. It's seriously well done.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

RZA Encryption posted:

Just wanted to add that the Pluto service is way better than I remembered. Trains are good, but also Springer! And several movies I've heard of!

The best thing is that there's zero set up process or enrollment. Go to their website and it just starts playing. It's seriously well done.

I went in search of this rumored Jerry Springer channel (Nosey, 536) and found the 1986 comedy classic Armed and Dangerous. Sweet! Previously the main attractions for me were the mst3k and rifftrax channels.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’be been using an outdoor antenna and HD Homerun for a couple years now, but we rearranged everything and now my set up has to go to the other end of the house. I’m using this opportunity to run Cat6 to every room and create a network closet.

Should I run coax to every room while I’m at it? Fist reaction is yes, but I can’t think of a situation where I’d need the coax over the HD homerun.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Might as well. If you move one day new owners might want it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

savesthedayrocks posted:

I’be been using an outdoor antenna and HD Homerun for a couple years now, but we rearranged everything and now my set up has to go to the other end of the house. I’m using this opportunity to run Cat6 to every room and create a network closet.

Should I run coax to every room while I’m at it? Fist reaction is yes, but I can’t think of a situation where I’d need the coax over the HD homerun.

Also if you ever get DirecTV or something else that could use that coax.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Might as well. If you move one day new owners might want it

New owners will probably assume there are coax Jack's where there should be.

We did when we moved into our current house and surpriiiiiise

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I did - it's great - but almost completely superfluous.
Just think of it this way - if you run coax with the Cat6, you can attached your TV directly to the antenna if necessary. For me, it comes in handy when the cable signal the HDHomerun prime goes out and I want to see if weather is bad. It comes up maybe once per year, but I am glad I have it in place when it happens.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Nice, good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For my deprived fellow Canadian folk, the Shield is 25% off at newegg.ca right now with a promo code. That brings it down to 209.99 with controller. Gotta pull the trigger.