Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

basic hitler posted:

serious question, launch-time animation problems aside, and a few stand out pieces of bad dialogue, how does Andromeda stack up to other mass effect games?

I uninstalled it with great satisfaction immediately after completing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I think what the Star Citizen true believers imagine the game will be is essentially the right idea of how to make a good MMO, where player activities are skill based and there is a large fully developed and self functioning universe made up of 90% NPCs with complex AIs going about their daily lives.

The problem is that current tech is nowhere near doing that and the need to monetize will always cause them to gravitate towards "number goes up" based systems.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BioMe posted:

Seriously though why are MMOs so bad? You'd think we'd have the technology.

the problem with MMOs is that everyone actually spends all their time at the level cap with a more or less complete character, competing for marginal gear upgrades, which is extremely un-RPG. Maybe the journey from 1 to omega is really good and the world and writing and dungeons are great but it's all just a bait and switch to get you playing this mechanically bizarre hat collecting skinner box action game for another 10,000 hours after you beat the rpg, to death

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
Death to consoles.

When we buy a game, we should expect it to be finished and optimized.

Death to consoles.

The King is naked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't played COD for more than a few hours combined since MW2, but this new one that everyone and their mom is hating on is the first one I've been excited for in a long time and I'm gonna buy it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

jerk irl posted:

Death to consoles.

Death to consoles.

The King is naked.

So you'd rather play on PC, the platform who's main selling point is a bunch of unfinished games.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
I haven't played COD. Ever.

veni veni veni posted:

So you'd rather play on PC, the platform who's main selling point is a bunch of unfinished games.

That would change after "Death to consoles".

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

jerk irl posted:

Death to consoles.

Death to consoles.

The King is naked.

I remember back before the console patch days, some gaming magazine had a section that was a back and forth between two of their writers. One of whom saw the future with wonder and how patching would be able to make developed flesh out their game for years, while the other saw the future as a dismal place where developers and publishers would see patching as an excuse to release half baked buggy poo poo.

I always laugh when I think about that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

jerk irl posted:

Death to consoles.

Death to consoles.

The King is naked.

The trend of games being released unfinished started on PC

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Games should be polished and whole like Fallout 2, not buggy and rushed like Ocarina Of Time.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

2house2fly posted:

The trend of games being released unfinished started on PC

And then they engineered a more elaborate scam. They created video game consoles.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

only nintendo still makes game consoles. the others are just bad PCs with drastically reduced functionality

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poverty goat posted:

only nintendo still makes game consoles. the others are just bad PCs with reduced functionality

And...exclusives. Well, not MS. But, like 1/3 of the good major games of the last 5 years are Playstation or Nintendo exclusive.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

And...exclusives. Well, not MS. But, like 1/3 of the good major games of the last 5 years are Playstation or Nintendo exclusive.

not enough awesome games to play is not a problem pc gamers are having irl in 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m dying of asthma over here laughing at the implication that console death would somehow inspire developers to release more fully developed products and not instead force them to double down on Ubisoft open world battle royale clones with freemium lootboxes and a calandra of special hat releases in order to stay competitive.

Please name me a PC game released in the last 3 years with the level of polish seen in Nu God of War

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't say they didn't have awesome games to play. They can't play Bloodborne, TLOU, HZD, Uncharted, God of War, Zelda, Mario and a whole host of other ridiculously good games though. Like 85% of my favorite games are exclusive to some console otherwise I'd just buy a gaming PC in a heartbeat. As it stands I miss out on virtually nothing by not having a gaming PC except some early access stuff that will come to console when it's finished.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't say they didn't have awesome games to play. They can't play Bloodborne, TLOU, HZD, Uncharted, God of War, Zelda, Mario and a whole host of other ridiculously good games though. Like 85% of my favorite games are exclusive to some console otherwise I'd just buy a gaming PC in a heartbeat. As it stands I miss out on virtually nothing by not having a gaming PC except some early access stuff that will come to console when it's finished.

The caveat here is if theres an emulator, pc can do it to so Mario kinda doesnt count there

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m dying of asthma over here laughing at the implication that console death would somehow inspire developers to release more fully developed products and not instead force them to double down on Ubisoft open world battle royale clones with freemium lootboxes and a calandra of special hat releases in order to stay competitive.

Please name me a PC game released in the last 3 years with the level of polish seen in Nu God of War

I don't know, no consoles would mean the vast majority of players would be unable to play AAA games. You'd see more lower-spec games coming out out of necessity

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

it's a totally artificial legal partition now to sell consoles is what I'm saying. A NES or N64 was a purpose-built machine that did impressive things for the time that no other machine could do, and the games were special snowflakes engineered for the architecture. Your PS4 is a lowend AMD gaming PC that's only good for playing a tiny subset of new games. You paid hundreds of dollars for access to half a dozen worthwhile exclusives over its lifetime and you still have to use a raspberry pi to emulate a NES. Pathetic

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I don't know, no consoles would mean the vast majority of players would be unable to play AAA games. You'd see more lower-spec games coming out out of necessity

to be clear I'm not anti-console but the isolated pc/console ecosystems don't make sense anymore

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

"Death to consoles" and "When we buy a game, we should expect it to be finished and optimized" were unrelated comments.

The 2 major issues I have with consoles is the following:

1) They've always been low spec machines, holding the industry back in terms of graphics and resolution mostly. Devs had a GPU power cap that was not really high, so the real competition stopped in that department for a long time. Nowadays, consoles are less crap, but still... Is graphics the only thing in a game? No, it's not THAT high in the list, still...

2) They are responsible for having stupid ports, instead of games built for PC. So, we, the PC master race, had to endure playing games designed for plebs.

I also believe they've helped push video game prizes up, but that's a secondary concern.

jerk irl fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 11, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

PC gamers have consoles to thank for the fact that we don't have to all buy a new GPU every 2 years anymore, by forcing every new game to at least be playable on a lovely midrange gaming pc from 5 years ago :hfive:

Also, console gamers please stop citing this as a reason PCs are soooooooooo expensive, because it hasn't been a thing for like 15 years

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

jerk irl posted:

"Death to consoles" and "When we buy a game, we should expect it to be finished and optimized" were unrelated comments.

The major issue I have with consoles is that they've always been low spec machines, holding the industry back in terms of graphics and resolution mostly. Devs had a GPU power cap that was not really high, so the real competition stopped in that department for a long time. Nowadays, consoles are less crap, but still...

They are also responsible for having stupid ports, instead of games built for PC. So, we, the PC master race, had to endure playing games designed for plebs.

I also believe they've helped push video game prizes up, but that's a secondary concern.

I can only speak from American electronic pricing, but $40 in the ps1 era, $50 in the ps2 era to $60 now for AAA hasnt been a bad hike considering the number of years

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gamepads are actually good and pc gamers have consoles to thank for finally bringing good gamepads and gamepad support to PC

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poverty goat posted:

it's a totally artificial legal partition now to sell consoles is what I'm saying. A NES or N64 was a purpose-built machine that did impressive things for the time that no other machine could do, and the games were special snowflakes engineered for the architecture. Your PS4 is a lowend AMD gaming PC that's only good for playing a tiny subset of new games. You paid hundreds of dollars for access to half a dozen worthwhile exclusives over its lifetime and you still have to use a raspberry pi to emulate a NES. Pathetic

"tiny subset of new games" :lol: what are you talking about? virtually everything noteworthy comes to console except strategy games, which admittedly is something I don't like about consoles.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

"tiny subset of new games" :lol: what are you talking about? virtually everything noteworthy comes to console except strategy games, which admittedly is something I don't like about consoles.

everything noteworthy comes to PC except maybe half a dozen worthwhile exclusives per console and nintendo titles (I'm not really addressing nintendo here since they still make game consoles, not just lovely pcs)

what never comes to console is the whole backlog of pc and console games from history

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poverty goat posted:

everything noteworthy comes to PC except maybe half a dozen worthwhile exclusives per console and nintendo titles (I'm not really addressing nintendo here since they still make game consoles, not just lovely pcs)

Sure. But, that doesn't mean they don't come to console as you implied. And we are at a much higher number than half a dozen exclusives at this point.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Sure. But, that doesn't mean they don't come to console as you implied.

well you see, I play a lot of strategy games and RPGs, so maybe my outlook is skewed

veni veni veni posted:

And we are at a much higher number than half a dozen exclusives at this point.

worthwhile exclusives

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poverty goat posted:

well you see, I play a lot of strategy games and RPGs, so maybe my outlook is skewed

Well yeah. Strategy games are a wasteland on console unfortunately. What notable RPG's haven't hit consoles in recent years? I can't really think of a single one.

poverty goat posted:

worthwhile exclusives

PS4 alone is pushing probably 20-25 great exclusives at this point.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 11, 2018

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Only Nintendo has good exclusives every Sony exclusive I’ve played has sucked major rear end especially blood borne

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

IDONTPOST posted:

Only Nintendo has good exclusives every Sony exclusive I’ve played has sucked major rear end especially blood borne

cursed post. How can you be half right and so wrong in the same post. It's an abomination.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

cursed post. How can you be half right and so wrong in the same post. It's an abomination.

Maybe I went too far at least bloodbornes lore is cool, god of war the worst one

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Well yeah. Strategy games are a wasteland on console unfortunately. What notable RPG's haven't hit consoles in recent years? I can't really think of a single one.

I guess you guys did get most of the recent crop of RPGs, eventually (doesn't look like you got torment). I've tried Original Sin 2's gamepad controls though and they're only slightly better than I imagine stellaris on a gamepad would be. enjoy your bad port, console filth :smug:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 11, 2018

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

That's because games like God of War are not sustainable and will stay an anomaly even on consoles as glorified tech demos. Turning games industry into a Hollywood-esque monstrosity of inflated production costs would in fact be really bad and kill any kind of risk taking creativity that might still remain.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
Talking about console exclusives... The fact that they exist is proof of the inferiority of consoles. They need exclusives to bait the buyers.
There are no PC exclusives, just games that won't run on consoles, because they are too slow to make sense of all the 0 and 1's.

PC Master race.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That’s why it’s good to have competition and hardware makers who are invested in releasing the best exclusives to further their own platform. It’s basically the only way to get very polished, complete, high production AAA games without the caveat of a bunch of micro transactions and season passes that cost more than the game in tyool 2018.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jerk irl posted:

Talking about console exclusives... The fact that they exist is proof of the inferiority of consoles. They need exclusives to bait the buyers.
There are no PC exclusives, just games that won't run on consoles, because they are too slow to make sense of all the 0 and 1's.

PC Master race.

in addition to strategy games you can look at the whole backlog of PC and console games that are playable on PC as PC exclusives

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the government give every one a gaming PC after they get brain damage as a consolation prize or something? That would explain a lot.

E: that wasn’t directed towards you poverty goat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

PS4 alone is pushing probably 20-25 great exclusives at this point.

lol now there's an unpopular opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How is the Nintendo Switch a game console and the PS4 Pro is not?