Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I can’t wait for those convertible bonds to mature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What do you mean I shouldn't have used my retirement savings to buy puts on TSLA?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gonna double post some hilarious news real quick.

Chris Collins, the guy who was indicted on insider trading charges, has suspended his reelection campaign in his fairly safe Republican district. NY is already past its primary stage, so he'll be stuck on the ballot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.24cb9bc23241

It went 24 points for Trump, but it may have just been handed to the Dems.

e: It looks like they're hoping they can replace him if he moves out of state. Something tells me being under indictment might cause issues with that plan.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/11/chris-collins-reelection-bid-insider-trading-773514

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 11, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He might still get elected; haven’t there been situation where dead people got elected?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

He might still get elected; haven’t there been situation where dead people got elected?

Missouri elected a dead guy rather than having John Ashcroft in office, but then W went and made him AG instead. Missouri has really gone downhill since 2000.

Also, NPR softballs white supremacists. People are not happy.
https://twitter.com/UncleRamrod/status/1027976018177359872

https://twitter.com/KarenAttiah/status/1027972207161561088

NPR sucks and I wish it hadn't become the generic term for public radio, because APM, PRI, and PRX are better.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
That scumbag who assaulted a reporter got elected. The GOP has zero shame.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

Missouri elected a dead guy rather than having John Ashcroft in office, but then W went and made him AG instead. Missouri has really gone downhill since 2000.

Even worse, they brought on an Alt-Right guy for a counter-opinion.

NPR is losing it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
:decorum:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Even worse, they brought on an Alt-Right guy for a counter-opinion.

NPR is losing it.

https://twitter.com/blueeyedbuddha/status/1028072661488787457

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

NPR sucks and I wish it hadn't become the generic term for public radio, because APM, PRI, and PRX are better.

There are good local NPR affiliates and they are a great source of news for local affairs. My local WAMU affiliate does a good job checking all the local DC area corruption, and other news stories. I also enjoy Marketplace for its dumb-down explanations of the markets for people like me. On Point, Reveal, ect are also decent.

However their general news service is :decorum: garbage. Steve Inskeep/David Greene wouldn't shut the gently caress up about the poor rural Trump voter during and after the 2016 election. Pushing the blatantly bullshit "Economic Anxiety" excuse that has long since been debunked. Though to be fair, the rest of the mainstream media was just as bad about it, but I found NPR's coverage to be especially annoying because they would do humanizing pieces on literal racists and nazis and generally nothing on the, you know, actual minorities getting hosed over.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I do like marketplace for understanding finance details I would never understand but they have a huuuuuge loving blind spot for stuff that isn't worshipping at the idol of capitalism and sucking dick of anyone with high net worth. Their 2008 crisis review over the last month or so has been infuriating.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

I do like marketplace for understanding finance details I would never understand but they have a huuuuuge loving blind spot for stuff that isn't worshipping at the idol of capitalism and sucking dick of anyone with high net worth. Their 2008 crisis review over the last month or so has been infuriating.

yeah. They also did a collaboration with This American Life about disability claims and were insufferable throughout. Most of it was in tone or just extremely condescending to workers and pro-business, but one of the most infuriating parts was when the reporter was pointedly discussing how many people apply for disability versus receive jobs. That's a great thing to compare! Let's not compare how many people apply versus receive disability. Or apply for jobs versus receive jobs. Nope, just point out that lots of people apply for disability and a lesser number are given full-time jobs!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

lol their 2008 crises review is garbage. I thought they would profile people who, you know, were actually hosed over. NOPE. Here is a standard profile.

"Hi I am a 5%er and the company I worked for went belly-up during the 2008 crash. Lucky, me and my doctor husband had tens of thousands saved up so we used the opportunity (and my newfound free time) to start our dream Okra farm! It's been nothing but dollar signs and success since!"

(Profile completely ignores literally everyone else in said company who lost their jobs, and careers, livelyhoods, homes, and all hope for the future)

That said, I still listen because they helped me understand wtf is going on with the tariffs and other economic issues in this hosed up Trump world.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 11, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There are good local NPR affiliates and they are a great source of news for local affairs. My local WAMU affiliate does a good job checking all the local DC area corruption, and other news stories. I also enjoy Marketplace for its dumb-down explanations of the markets for people like me. On Point, Reveal, ect are also decent.

However their general news service is :decorum: garbage. Steve Inskeep/David Greene wouldn't shut the gently caress up about the poor rural Trump voter during and after the 2016 election. Pushing the blatantly bullshit "Economic Anxiety" excuse that has long since been debunked. Though to be fair, the rest of the mainstream media was just as bad about it, but I found NPR's coverage to be especially annoying because they would do humanizing pieces on literal racists and nazis and generally nothing on the, you know, actual minorities getting hosed over.

Marketplace is APM and Reveal is PRX.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Marketplace is APM and Reveal is PRX.

Really? Man they all get played on the same frequency (88.5) in the DC area I can't tell what program is what.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Really? Man they all get played on the same frequency (88.5) in the DC area I can't tell what program is what.

They all get played on the same freq in most every city; it's more who actually makes the content that they then license out to NPR stations and such.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Public radio stations buy programming from content producers such as NPR, PRI, APM, WNYC, etc.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HorrificExistence posted:

Welcome to the weekend bloodbath-

my predictions

will the utr2 rally take place in DC: yes
DC fascist casualties: 3 lightly wounded.
DC antifascist casualties: 20 wounded, 50 arrested.
DC police casualties:0
will the national guard be deployed in cville: yes
will the fascists claim victory: yes
will there be factional fighting between nazis and alt-light: yes
turnout?: Much lower than expected in both cities. under 100 fash in Cville

:grovertoot:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/1028299063027032070?s=19

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Omarosa claims Donnie wanted to be sworn in with The Art of the Deal. I'm sure she's lied about other stuff but even Donnie isn't enough of a retard baby to try something like that. I would like to observe the mental gymnastics the evangelicals would go through in a paralel dimension where it did happen though.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

I want to print out a bunch of copies of this paragraph and blow them in the form of phlegmy spitballs into the face of every chud I ever heard argue that welfare or education or whatever is just too damned expensive

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Casimir Radon posted:

Omarosa claims Donnie wanted to be sworn in with The Art of the Deal. I'm sure she's lied about other stuff but even Donnie isn't enough of a retard baby to try something like that. I would like to observe the mental gymnastics the evangelicals would go through in a paralel dimension where it did happen though.

The problem with being outrageous all the time is that when people start to make up the truly nutty stuff no one will believe you when you say you didn't do it. He made his bed, he can lie in it.

You know, after the Russian hookers pee in it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

God ordained Trump to come and lead us at this time, so his word is as good as His word.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Plane poo poo made me think of

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-tale-of-when-a-marine-mechanic-stole-an-a-4-skyhawk-1745015819

drat that was in ‘86 and most of his charges were dropped

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-11-07/local/me-15420_1_jet-fighter

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 11, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Oh he didn't rape anyone? Slap on the wrist this time"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Twitter suspended Gavin McInnes and his merry band of boys :allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Twitter suspended Gavin McInnes and his merry band of boys :allears:
Cool, but the damage is kind of done already.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I like Twitter acknowledging that Alex Jones and infowars did violate their rules but they're just going to let him stay on the platform

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just deleted my Twitter. I'm thinking more and more that social media is a liability, anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie just called Omarosa a lowlife. A lowlife he let be on his campaign staff, and later part of the administration.

:byodood: THE BEST PEOPLE

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

Donnie just called Omarosa a lowlife. A lowlife he let be on his campaign staff, and later part of the administration.

:byodood: THE BEST PEOPLE

well hes not wrong

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
my dudes suffering from Extremely Online Syndrome

do what i do, and pretty much disconnect over the weekend

constant exposure to TRUMP will shorten your lifespan

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/inthematrixxx/status/1028152508823130113?s=21

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Called it

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

She’s an old broad.

Very threatening to virile masculinity.

I was in sitting in the House gallery when the ACA repeal failed in March 2017; Pelosi was working her rear end off in the back row texting/talking to other reps/staffers to organize poo poo. Debbie Wasserman Schultz was sitting all alone for a while. :lol:

It's a shame you can't have PEDs in there because a picture would've been great.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DoktorLoken posted:

I was in sitting in the House gallery when the ACA repeal failed in March 2017; Pelosi was working her rear end off in the back row texting/talking to other reps/staffers to organize poo poo. Debbie Wasserman Schultz was sitting all alone for a while. :lol:

It's a shame you can't have PEDs in there because a picture would've been great.

I'm gonna read that as performance enhancing drugs.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

personal electronic devices

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

are you Q?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Seeing this in person owned too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_omlSbW4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm gonna read that as performance enhancing drugs.

juicin up to own the cons

• Locked thread