Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

Counterpoint: SWTOR was actually really good right until you hit the level cap. They had the best implementation of group dungeons I've ever experienced, some of the character stories were very good and fleshed out, their open world stuff was SWG-level excellent, and they kept more bullshit MMO mechanics to a minimum. Like, that game had way fewer MMO mechanics and felt like more of a good singleplayer game than DA:I somehow.

With SWTOR they did a super great job at solving most of the MMO experience, but then the endgame was just standard MMO fare, because making a non-grindy MMO endgame that people actually want to stick around for is a hard problem or something. In fact I think SWTOR's goodness may help explain all of the Bioware games since then have sucked? Like they put all of their remaining talent on SWTOR permanently and everyone else was like "how does i make game" and that's the story of how Andromeda got made

Sorry but that's a popular and trendy thing to say whereas this is the thread for unpopular opinions

SWTOR didn’t have a group finder for the first eight months. Somehow BioWare decided to ignore every QoL lesson that Blizzard had learned over the years to just start from scratch and learn them all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

Does the government give every one a gaming PC after they get brain damage as a consolation prize or something? That would explain a lot.

E: that wasn’t directed towards you poverty goat

are you posting on your console?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

SWTOR didn’t have a group finder for the first eight months. Somehow BioWare decided to ignore every QoL lesson that Blizzard had learned over the years to just start from scratch and learn them all over again.

I recall it having one though, and I only played for the first 6 months. I remember it only matching you in the same zone, not across the galaxy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PC: you can post on it. Checkmate

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I haven't owned a console since the PS3 days and there were so few games that I wanted to play on that that I didn't feel it necessary to buy any consoles since then. Bloodbourne is the only console-exclusive game that I've felt like I'd want to play on the PS4, everything else has been on PC

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

I recall it having one though, and I only played for the first 6 months. I remember it only matching you in the same zone, not across the galaxy

It didn't. It didn't even have a way to customize your UI. I mean, loving WAR had one and they had Mythic devs working on swtor. Later on, they copied WAR's UI customization tool :P

It's like fruity said... Like SWTOR was the first MMORPG ever released and they had nothing to draw goo idea/lessons from.

They spent who knows how much on voice overs and zero on the game engine. Hero engine was free, right? lol

jerk irl fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 11, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't say they didn't have awesome games to play. They can't play Bloodborne, TLOU, HZD, Uncharted, God of War, Zelda, Mario and a whole host of other ridiculously good games though. Like 85% of my favorite games are exclusive to some console otherwise I'd just buy a gaming PC in a heartbeat. As it stands I miss out on virtually nothing by not having a gaming PC except some early access stuff that will come to console when it's finished.

No game is nearly as good as to warrant buying a special device to play it. Also most of those games look pretty unremarkable. Like, lol, I've seen Uncharted, I've even played a bit of it, and the idea of putting it up as some sort of a reason why you need a console is ridiculous. It's just a dumb game.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

BioMe posted:

Seriously though why are MMOs so bad? You'd think we'd have the technology.

Hell is other people.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

No game is nearly as good as to warrant buying a special device to play it. Also most of those games look pretty unremarkable. Like, lol, I've seen Uncharted, I've even played a bit of it, and the idea of putting it up as some sort of a reason why you need a console is ridiculous. It's just a dumb game.

Jet Set Radio Future was worth the price of an Xbox :colbert:

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

PC: you can post on it. Checkmate

and is you console comfortably resting at its usual spot, fulfilling its intended purpose? (don't check mate, check up your rear end)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

good thing I can play basically every noteworthy game that’s on PC as well on it then.

As far as exclusives go, just because you have isolated bad opinions about games you haven’t even played doesn’t change the fact that a ton of people love them and think they are great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

jerk irl posted:

and is you console comfortably resting at its usual spot, fulfilling its intended purpose? (don't check mate, check up your rear end)

Lol you aren’t even making any sense any more.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

good thing I can play basically every noteworthy game that’s on PC as well on it then.

As far as exclusives go, just because you have isolated bad opinions about games you haven’t even played doesn’t change the fact that a ton of people love them and think they are great.

Reality check, a ton of people is not that many. Especially if it's overweight console nerds.

veni veni veni posted:

Lol you aren’t even making any sense any more.

Don't mind me. I am just dumbing down my posting so it's console gamers compatible. I guess it needs more dumbing down, since it still makes no sense to you :P

On a more serious note, don't mind me, I am just loving around. It's all good, unless it's a fricking colsole port! DtC.

jerk irl fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 11, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

75 million PS4s= not that many in delusional master race land.

jerk irl posted:

On a more serious note, don't mind me, I am just loving around. It's all good, unless it's a fricking colsole port! DtC.

Same I just like talking poo poo about games online.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jerk irl posted:

They spent who knows how much on voice overs and zero on the game engine. Hero engine was free, right? lol

The voice work thing for SWTOR is a classic case of running with something that sounds good but not thinking it through.

Like part of SWTOR's marketing was telling everyone "FULLY VOICED MMO". They made a big deal out of all the quest and NPC dialogue being voice acted. The problem is that they decided to spend all this time and money on the voice work and never stopped to think if anyone gave a poo poo about having a "collect ten bear asses" quest be voice acted. Voice acting for a bunch of generic fetch quests is not a feature, in fact it's an active detriment. Every new town you'd have a barrrage of random NPCs who had nothing to do with your class story, and they all wanted to talk your ear off in a vain attempt to give meaning to fetch quests. People just skipped that poo poo, they only really listened during class stories or flashpoints. The whole idea of voice acting and writing every single mundane quest was a waste of resources.

They figured it out in the expansions though. Post-vanilla they only voice acted the class stories and Big Deal quests. Minor fetch quest bullshit just had a text popup that you could accept/decline, which was better.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

You can make that argument for basically any console or PC, yeah. Most good games come out for basically everything, and each system (including PC) has a smattering of exclusive good titles

I wouldn't give up Into the Breach for a million PS4 exclusives though, that game is amazing

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

75 million PS4s= not that many in delusional master race land.

Now you are saying something different. You had said "a ton of people".
I replied a ton of people is not that many. Being a console gamer, you probably don't know that a ton is roughly 1.000 Kgs, so there's that.
Furthermore, I object on your use of the term "people" to refer to console gamers.

Finally, being a console gamer probably means that you also can't tell when someone is loving with you.

late edit: ok, so you got it :P

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Man, I haven't seen a honest to god console warrior in ages. I mean I knew they were still being kept somewhere, but I guess you don't really come across them unless you hang out wherever preteens do these days. I think this one escaped his kindergarten?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Just play your lovely overhyped digital garbage on whatever makes you happy who gives a gently caress.

*owns a Xbox, PS2, PC rig, Genesis, and Nintendo :smug: *

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

You can make that argument for basically any console or PC, yeah. Most good games come out for basically everything, and each system (including PC) has a smattering of exclusive good titles

The funny thing is that whenever I get into these arguments on the forums people seem to miss that I haven’t actually said PC is a bad/inferior platform. I just like calling people out for saying dumb things about consoles and people immediately start defending their PC gaming even though I didn’t even challenge anything about it lol.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

13Pandora13 posted:

Just play your lovely overhyped digital garbage on whatever makes you happy who gives a gently caress.

*owns a Xbox, PS2, PC rig, Genesis, and Nintendo :smug: *

and aspiring to own a social life... sometime in the future :P

E: The only good thing about consoles is that they can keep your coffee warm during winter. More advanced ones, like Xbox, are rumored being able to boil eggs.

jerk irl fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 11, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing is that whenever I get into these arguments on the forums people seem to miss that I haven’t actually said PC is a bad/inferior platform. I just like calling people out for saying dumb things about consoles and people immediately start defending their PC gaming even though I didn’t even challenge anything about it lol.

And no one in the thread is accusing you of saying that, so that's cool

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wasn’t saying you did.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

So you'd rather play on PC, the platform who's main selling point is a bunch of unfinished games.

"I'm not saying that's a bad thing!!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doesn’t mean it’s a bad platform. I was pointing out how silly it was to say “death to consoles” “and all games should be released finished “ as part of the same statement when PC is pretty much the reason that unfinished games being released is a thing.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

And no one in the thread is accusing you of saying that, so that's cool

Yeah. As a matter of fact, the PC God teaches that we should not despise the misguided console plebs, but love them as brothers and pray for their salvation. Pray that they see the light and stop funding the creation of games that are abominations.

But then again, we've funded Star Citizen. Still, Star Citizen is not a game, so maybe it's all good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Doesn’t mean it’s a bad platform. I was pointing out how silly it was to say “death to consoles” “and all games should be released finished “ as part of the same statement when PC is pretty much the reason that unfinished games being released is a thing.

I agree I think that dude was just loving around though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jerk irl posted:

Yeah. As a matter of fact, the PC God teaches that we should not despise the misguided console plebs, but love them as brothers and pray for their salvation. Pray that they see the light and stop funding the creation of games that are abominations.

But then again, we've funded Star Citizen. Still, Star Citizen is not a game, so maybe it's all good.

Star Citizen is not a game

It's a lifestyle

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

I agree I think that dude was just loving around though

I don't know, that dude seemed pretty wise to me.
In all his fuckery, there's wisdom to be found.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

jerk irl posted:

and aspiring to own a social life... sometime in the future :P

Lol no. It would cut into my shitposting time too much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like arguing about games because games don’t matter and it’s a fine alternative to something more toxic like the current political climate and it’s less boring than sports.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

I like arguing about games because games don’t matter and it’s a fine alternative to something more toxic like the current political climate and it’s less boring than sports.

In other words, you are a nerd. Welcome to the club :P

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

Just checked, game released in Dec 2011 and group finder was added in patch 1.3 that June. So a couple months earlier than I thought and you may have seen it on the tail end of your time.

Still, that’s a feature that should have been in at launch.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
I was in and out of swtor in like 1.5 mo. Maybe less. To be honest though, it wasn't the most hosed up game I've ever played. I mean, I played Age of Conan on release and stayed much longer... You see, in swtor PvP was disappointing, in AoC was hilariously broken (at start).

jerk irl fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

Just checked, game released in Dec 2011 and group finder was added in patch 1.3 that June. So a couple months earlier than I thought and you may have seen it on the tail end of your time.

Still, that’s a feature that should have been in at launch.

Yeah it should have been, and it's weird that I don't even remember that change. I guess because it was years and years ago

Definitely an obvious thing to have on day 1 by that point

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
At least it had great open world PvP (since day1 I mean). Those MYTHIC devs did a great job.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I tried playing through FF9 and it was extremely painful and I can't believe how highly regarded it is. I gave up on the last disc.

- the battles are extremely slow and unfun

- the difficulty levels are all over the place, there's weird moments where you don't have a healer but you're being hit for half your health

- the plot is just weak, and not for its lightheartedness. There are still big dramatic moments that are just brushed aside with bad storytelling and dialogue, like when Zidane finds out he's an alien or whatever

- I hardly remember the leveling system other than something bad involving equipment and points and basically no strategy or interesting customization

I switched to FF10 and it still holds up well. It still has all the dumb character tropes but with a really solid storyline and some compelling twists that are impactful. Like Yuna's naivete almost leading everyone to get killed by Seymour. The dread of Yuna dying is switched out for Tidus dying. The battle system is turn based but fast and fun even though there's not much strategy to it. The graphics in the remaster hold up, even.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

poverty goat posted:

A NES or N64 was a purpose-built machine that did impressive things for the time that no other machine could do, and the games were special snowflakes engineered for the architecture.

At no point in gaming history have PCs not been able to do what consoles were doing.

Also at no point in gaming history has a PC with comparable gaming performance not been the more expensive option.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

LinYutang posted:

I tried playing through FF9 and it was extremely painful and I can't believe how highly regarded it is. I gave up on the last disc.

- the battles are extremely slow and unfun

- the difficulty levels are all over the place, there's weird moments where you don't have a healer but you're being hit for half your health

- the plot is just weak, and not for its lightheartedness. There are still big dramatic moments that are just brushed aside with bad storytelling and dialogue, like when Zidane finds out he's an alien or whatever

- I hardly remember the leveling system other than something bad involving equipment and points and basically no strategy or interesting customization

I switched to FF10 and it still holds up well. It still has all the dumb character tropes but with a really solid storyline and some compelling twists that are impactful. Like Yuna's naivete almost leading everyone to get killed by Seymour. The dread of Yuna dying is switched out for Tidus dying. The battle system is turn based but fast and fun even though there's not much strategy to it. The graphics in the remaster hold up, even.

Not to mention the horrible character design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

micro transactions and season passes that cost more than the game in tyool 2018.
you have to pay an extra sub to play games online. lol