Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I played Okami for the Wii right before Twilight Princess and I could barely stomach Twilight Princess as a result. Going from a game with much better presentation that was designed around being a wolf to a game with wolf gameplay shoddily shoehorned in was kind of rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

I’m just curious of Okami has aged well. I didnt play it originally. I remember replaying OOT recently and found it to be too dated. People compare Okami to Twilight Princess, but I havent played that either. Problem is I just finished botw and playing Okami after that, might be anti climatic since its very zelda ish. I like the art style and the japanese folklore poo poo though.

Okami is still good it just has the same problems it had when it came out, namely

Its padded as hell to be 10 hours too long
Combat does not live up to the clover pedigree
And the dialog goes on and on

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've done an hour of Okami now. I like it!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I've done an hour of Okami now. I like it!

Whats that like 1/3rd of the opening cutscene?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Issun starts off pretty bad but halfway through the first story arc he stops giving a poo poo about being a tutorial fairy and becomes a actual character. Also the plot is super good and it's only sin is that it does a lot of metal gear tier "Shocking revelation!" "Shocking Revelation?!" back and forth.

Years later I still cried at the ending it's very cool.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Started into Overcooked 2 last night with 4 player couch co-op, seems pretty solid all things considered. I have the original on PS4, and the switch version does seem noticeably less smooth, and the controller inputs definitely can get laggy at times (something I never noticed on PS4). All and all though, I have way more friends I am likely to play online with on Switch than PS4, so the switch version was the way to go.

And jesus the first bonus level Kevin 1 is hard as hell with only 2 players. My wife and I were starting a second 2-player run late last night, and were doubling or tripling every 3 star point requirement in the first world (which is painfully easy). But god drat we threw ourselves at Kevin 1 about 10 times and best was getting within 5 points of the 3 star req.

Glad to be getting our cook on again :chef:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Is the NES Dr. Mario really going to have online multiplayer? I am the best Dr. Mario player in the world and will destroy everyone

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What are some fun games for two people to co-op in?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Overcooked

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

no friken way

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there should be more and more kinds of Switch games imo.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

my new dog posted:

no friken way

It's been a long time since I beat Pokemon Red so I looked up the solution to that "puzzle", it was just completely random which trash can button you need to find to proceed.

So if that picture is real: they've turned an easy "puzzle" into a different easy "puzzle".

(Edit: The puzzle I'm referring to is the Vermilion City Gym where you had to find two randomly placed buttons in trash cans in order to fight the Gym Leader.)

Salastine fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 11, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Qubee posted:

Snipperclips is a really good unique 2 player game. There’s a demo to try.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Do you know if it's possible to create like a low level game with whatever amount of time you want? I've been trying to see what kind of modes and customization options they allow and no one has listed them, not even the website. I want to play with my friends but I hate in the first how you can only play in like 2 minute bursts and after the first couple missions, it's just craziness. I like the mechanics but don't wanna work too hard.
(Re: Overcooked 2) The devs did an AMA a few days ago and got a lot of feedback/requests for a type of casual mode in this thread. The demand is there so hopefully they can come up with something eventually.

Qubee posted:

N++. Tetris with split joycons (it works surprisingly well). Any games with split joycons (probably works less well).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Is the NES Dr. Mario really going to have online multiplayer? I am the best Dr. Mario player in the world and will destroy everyone

my money is on it being some nesticle level netplay where there's a full second of input delay and it can only run 3-5 minutes at a time without going out of sync and disconnecting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Real hurthling! posted:

I reached the first save point at probably the 20 minute Mark, so as third of the hour was opening cutscene

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

What’s even the point

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the importance of the trash can picture?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's loss

Spellman
May 31, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

My thinking is this will cause a revival of interest in old titles, in a way that the VC hasn't been able to renew interest in games before. If I can crank out a game of SMB3 with a good internet friend, I'll play it loads

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

my money is on it being some nesticle level netplay where there's a full second of input delay and it can only run 3-5 minutes at a time without going out of sync and disconnecting

Netplay with the Dolphin emulator works leaps and bounds better for the Wii/GCN Smash games than the official online play in Smash for Wii U. :shrug:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Guy Goodbody posted:

In the original games the trashcan is a "puzzle" where you have to find the two correct trashcans that have switches to open the door. There being two different coloured cans suggests that the switches are in those two, so you don't have to check every can to find the switches any more. This is making Very Serious Pokemon people angry.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're dumbing down Red/Blue in the Let's Go games to hilarious degrees. Latest is just them getting the chance to redo a dumb puzzle and instead of making it interesting they just got rid of it entirely.

(Originally in the gameboy version there were rows of trash cans. There was no real hint to which ones you needed to click and they shuffled if you got them wrong. You had to get 2 right in a row to fight the boss.
Instead of giving them a subtle visual tell or something like that the answer is to apparently paint them neon and get rid of it entirely.)

It's one of those things where if you're excited for the games that's honestly fine and cool and I hope you enjoy it, but I do genuinely wonder why they're dumbing it down this hard. I don't really buy the "it's for the kids" excuse when I had to do all this stuff as a kid when it first came out and I didn't have trouble.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought a Switch today

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Licarn posted:

This is making Very Serious Pokemon people angry.

Which is pretty weird considering this is explicitly a Pokémon game for babies. Yes, even more than the normal games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I bought a Switch today

happy birthday

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's one of those things where if you're excited for the games that's honestly fine and cool and I hope you enjoy it, but I do genuinely wonder why they're dumbing it down this hard. I don't really buy the "it's for the kids" excuse when I had to do all this stuff as a kid when it first came out and I didn't have trouble.

This, but every time someone asks what games are good for an 8 year old

All games are good for an 8 year old. They're games

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(Originally in the gameboy version there were rows of trash cans. There was no real hint to which ones you needed to click and they shuffled if you got them wrong. You had to get 2 right in a row to fight the boss.

cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spellman posted:

This, but every time someone asks what games are good for an 8 year old

All games are good for an 8 year old. They're games

Please don't give Doom to an 8 year old

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Please don't give Doom to an 8 year old

Why not, I played it when I was 5

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

japtor posted:

(Re: Overcooked 2) The devs did an AMA a few days ago and got a lot of feedback/requests for a type of casual mode in this thread. The demand is there so hopefully they can come up with something eventually.

Cool, I can't buy it right now in it's current state. Need those options.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sure an 8 year old would really enjoy Crusader Kings 2

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

I'm sure an 8 year old would really enjoy Crusader Kings 2

Imagine a 8 year old asking about a crusaderkings.txt situation.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The fun part of the Lt. Surge puzzle is that when you find the first switch, the second was always right next to it. And I didn't know that for years.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The Lt. Surge puzzle was the kind of rubbish nonsense puzzle you put into your first RPG maker project. It’s random guesswork which uses nonsense assets (switches in bins, really?).

The lines of bins in the modern graphics make it look even more stupid.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Takoluka posted:

The fun part of the Lt. Surge puzzle is that when you find the first switch, the second was always right next to it. And I didn't know that for years.

:eng101: In the original games, this isn't true! The puzzle is buggy as hell and sometimes the second switch is in the top-left can regardless of where the first is, and in Yellow, very rarely there's no second switch at all.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vermilion_Gym#Trivia

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Licarn posted:

In the original games the trashcan is a "puzzle" where you have to find the two correct trashcans that have switches to open the door. There being two different coloured cans suggests that the switches are in those two, so you don't have to check every can to find the switches any more. This is making Very Serious Pokemon people angry.

It’s a silly change.

The original puzzle was dumb but the can was always adjacent so you had a 1 in 4 chance.

E: I didn’t know that about the bugs, I learned something today :aaa: it’s still dumb that they didn’t bother to replace it with anything else and it’s just another trademark sign of the care and :effort: thrown into this game

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 11, 2018

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I bought Okami earlier and was hoping to get to play some, but it's taking for-goddamned-ever to download. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Oh poo poo Okami is by Clover. Those guys are (were) the coolest

• Locked thread