Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Jeza posted:

In real human land, if you're following somebody across some train tracks you don't wait on one side and wait to see just in case the person ahead stops several car lengths short of how far they can go, because the reasonable expectation is that they will drive to the end and stop.

If people drove under that kind of limitation at all times, it would be basically chaos. You'd wait at a green light at an intersection until the driver in front had crossed and gone a full car length past the other side before you followed in case they stopped for no reason. The vast majority of driving is doing the predictable thing and assuming other drivers will also do the predictable thing.

Ramming man did nothing wrong.

What the hell, who drives across train tracks thinking "yeah i can probably get off the tracks it'll be fine"? That's a dumb idea. Yes, you wait until room for you has cleared on the other side, doing anything else is ridiculous. Traffic goes slower, but it'll move faster than it would if your car gets hit by a train.

Similarly, I absolutely do wait at intersections until there's clear space for me on the other side? It's better that traffic move slowly through the intersection than to have the intersection gridlocked. This doesn't seem like a weird choice to me. Most of the time it doesn't hold up traffic because I'm not driving right on somebody's rear end, so by the time I enter the intersection they're already clearing it and moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Regardless of whether or not the dude in back was at fault like you can't expect the guy to say "oh well guess I'll just loving die then"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MarcusSA posted:

Actually they aren't. Just because he thought the guy in front of him had room to pull forward doesn't mean the guy actually did. There is no rule in any state which dictates how much room is to be left between cars when they are stopped. Maybe he couldn't pull any further forward because the car in front had an extended hitch on the back or something that he couldn't see.

He is the only one at fault because he should have waited to make sure it was clear before pulling forward.

you're right but on the other hand the guy that flipped off a stranger and waited for him to die is a douche

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

food court bailiff posted:

cars can stop in less than a goddamn mile so your "regular intersection" analogy is really loving stupid hth

they are both very much at fault

There's literally nothing wrong with the analogy. It's not to do with how dangerous that would be, but whether you'd be legally in the right or wrong by blocking an intersection. If you blame ramming man, then you're saying that it's basically wrong to ever cross an intersection unless there's enough space for your whole car. So even if the road ahead is completely empty, you should wait at a green light until the driver ahead is safely clear because otherwise you'll be breaking the law.

No sane driver does this because it's not realistic to drive under that assumption that the driver ahead of you will slam their foot on the brakes at all times.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Actually they aren't. Just because he thought the guy in front of him had room to pull forward doesn't mean the guy actually did. There is no rule in any state which dictates how much room is to be left between cars when they are stopped. Maybe he couldn't pull any further forward because the car in front had an extended hitch on the back or something that he couldn't see.

He is the only one at fault because he should have waited to make sure it was clear before pulling forward.

He may be 100% traffic wrong but if his dash cam shows what he claims it to, just roll that out in front of a jury (and enrichen his lawyer)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

you're right but on the other hand the guy that flipped off a stranger and waited for him to die is a douche

lol true but I would love to see this video someone needs to tell the guy to post it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jeza posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with the analogy. It's not to do with how dangerous that would be, but whether you'd be legally in the right or wrong by blocking an intersection. If you blame ramming man, then you're saying that it's basically wrong to ever cross an intersection unless there's enough space for your whole car. So even if the road ahead is completely empty, you should wait at a green light until the driver ahead is safely clear because otherwise you'll be breaking the law.

No sane driver does this because it's not realistic to drive under that assumption that the driver ahead of you will slam their foot on the brakes at all times.

you sound like an extremely dangerous and bad driver

e: and a total moron but that's mostly unrelated

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jeza posted:

Actually it really is. Like you really should drive under the assumption that the driver ahead of you sill slam their foot on the brakes at all times. Did they not teach you the two-second rule?

tactlessbastard posted:

He may be 100% traffic wrong but if his dash cam shows what he claims it to, just roll that out in front of a jury (and enrichen his lawyer)

Also this.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like maybe 10 years ago "I have a boyfriend" would usually make guys stop. I don't know whether it's a difference in the culture or just in my age, but saying "I have a boyfriend" does nothing anymore, it just immediately leads to "oh so you're not married"

Barudak posted:

The boldest response to that Ive heard was “thats cool, he can watch”

"Is he good with a camera?"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jeza posted:

I do not think that is what he is saying but what he is saying is when there is a line of slow moving cars and you can see ahead of you that the cars are either stopped or slowing then yes it is your responsibly to wait till the intersection is clear before moving up.

quote:

(a) Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.
(b) A driver of a vehicle which is making a turn at an intersection who is facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal shall not enter the intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.
(c) A driver of a vehicle shall not enter a railroad or rail transit crossing, notwithstanding any official traffic control device or signal indication to proceed, unless there is sufficient undercarriage clearance to cross the intersection without obstructing the through passage of a railway vehicle, including, but not limited to, a train, trolley, or city transit vehicle.

Its the drivers responsibly always.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Actually it really is. Like you really should drive under the assumption that the driver ahead of you sill slam their foot on the brakes at all times. Did they not teach you the two-second rule?

I knew people would take that the wrong way, yes it's the ideal, but if you actually mentally follow through with what that would look like, the world would be in constant gridlock. You could never take a motorway turn off because there's a chance the car in front will stop suddenly and block the exit.

You give each other car as much space as possible within reasonable constraints. You cannot always drive that defensively.

you sound like an extremely dangerous and bad driver

e: and a total moron but that's mostly unrelated

thanks

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I do not think that is what he is saying but what he is saying is when there is a line of slow moving cars and you can see ahead of you that the cars are either stopped or slowing then yes it is your responsibly to wait till the intersection is clear before moving up.

Yeah, that makes sense. It IS the driver's fault if the intersection is busy and they go optimistically expecting to squeeze in. However when there isn't a single car across the intersection, you don't wait to see if the driver in front will slam their brakes on immediately as they reach the other side. Nobody actually drives like that. You drive a safe enough distance behind that you won't hit them if they DO slam the brakes, but not so they have to cover the entire distance before you even think about moving just in case they suddenly decide to stop on an empty road and make it so you can't get across anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was taught for railroad crossings specifically to ensure the person in front of you has fully crossed and is one car length over before continuing. Probably not a real rule but they stressed it all the same.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jeza posted:

I knew people would take that the wrong way, yes it's the ideal, but if you actually mentally follow through with what that would look like, the world would be in constant gridlock.
What is your driving record like?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Jeza posted:

You give each other car as much space as possible within reasonable constraints. You cannot always drive that defensively.

You don’t have to always drive that defensively in order to not get stuck on train tracks.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Leon Einstein posted:

What is your driving record like?

I have 0 points on my driving license, and am from the UK, a country with a far more stringent driving test than the USA and with less than a third of the driving deaths per capita despite it being a far more complicated country to drive in.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, but you think waiting for an intersection to clear before crossing would lead to chaos instead of just being a normal thing most people do.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jeza posted:

I have 0 points on my driving license, and am from the UK, a country with a far more stringent driving test than the USA and with less than a third of the driving deaths per capita despite it being a far more complicated country to drive in.

Guess they have herd immunity to poo poo driving, then.

Edit for content:

My [24F] boyfriend’s [35M] family is kind of poor. How do I adjust?

quote:

I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years and we are expecting a child. My boyfriend is perfect for me, he makes a decent living now and has a lot of savings even being financially supportive of me during this pregnancy. No complaints about him at the moment.

The problem is I grew up fairly well off in Asia and had never had to struggle with money, my relatives are even more well off than us and I never had to deal with broke relatives. I left my home country to be “independent” and it has worked pretty well.

The issue now is, my boyfriend’s family is kind of poor and they always ask him to buy them stuff. He doesn’t do it of course but when it comes to family gatherings, I just feel so different and I am not used to having to attend parties and gatherings in a not so nice place.

I am used to going to family gatherings where people are dressed up in designer clothes while if I go to my boyfriends family I am the weird one with the expensive purse. The food is not as feastive. The way some of his relatives act and speak disturbs me... they’re NOT rude at all, it’s just a little unrefined compared to what I’m used to. They dress simply while I’m sticking out like a sore thumb with my fancy stuff and I don’t belong AT ALL. I don’t know how to belong. I don’t want to be a snob! But at the same time I don’t know how to adjust and where to start.

My boyfriend has proposed and I had to turn him down because of the thought of having to deal with his family my whole life. It’s making me dread birthdays and holidays. Help!

Tia!

Tldr; Bf’s family kind of poor. Im Not used to that lifestyle and I feel out of place during gatherings. I don’t know how to adjust. Advice needed.

I want to be angry at her for being a walking spoiled rich girl stereotype, but they started dating when she was 18 and he was 29?!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, but you think waiting for an intersection to clear before crossing would lead to chaos instead of just being a normal thing most people do.

The intersection is clear in my example, you are just following the flow of traffic. Show me a video of an intersection with traffic lights where the second driver in a queue doesn't move until the car in front has made it a car length clear on other side of the intersection.

If it's hard to find that video, it's because nobody drives like that because that would be loving stupid even if it would be safer.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Einstein posted:

Driver is a loving rear end in a top hat. Do you know how much paperwork there is when you hit a car in a train? So loving much.

Simple rule of life: don't make working folks' jobs harder than they have to be through your impatience.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Or it’s because it only matters in very specific situations and nobody’s posting videos like “wow check out this safe loving driving, this madman out here avoided the hell out of getting hit by a train”, but sure let’s say it’s because nobody does it and everybody just hands the wheel to Jesus when they cross the tracks.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think that's about enough of this derail

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CheesyDog posted:

I think that's about enough of this derail

This derail is why we have Operation Lifesaver in America. Unfortunately, Operation Lifesaver focuses primarily upon general population education - not enough work done for grade crossing engineering and design to consider human elements and general assholeishness of drivers. Grade crossing design is often complex and problematic, requiring the planner to respond to many variables and factors. For instance, traffic signal time, interconnection of signals, coordination/preemption of signals, etc.

When a grade crossing is located near a signalized highway intersection, queues from the intersection may extent over the grade crossing and potentially cause stopped vehicles to become trapped. To avoid entrapment, traffic signals located near grade crossings need be preempted to clear vehicles off tracks before trains arrive.

However, installation of electrical interconnetion for signal preemption is an ongoing process. In the situation of the dude who got hit, you'd need to pull up the precise intersection to figure out whether electrical interconnection was installed.

Why does this matter? It plays into the formulation of the intersection's designed clear storage distance. What's clear storage distance? The space between the track and the light at an intersection. You equate clear storage distance by computing anticipated lane volume, cycle length, effective green time, saturation, and a couple other variables.

Without knowing these variables, it is entirely possible for the fault to lie with either driver. If the lane had less than 75 feet of clear storage distance, than the designer may have determined that advanced preemption was not necessary for the intersection. When the driver reports that there appeared to be two car lengths between the vehicle in front of them and the intersection, that is entirely possible. Without posting of the dash cam video and reference to the specific intersection, it is not possible to provide decent advice other than don't gently caress with trains.

For additional readings:

Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
Preemption of Traffic Signals At or Near Railroad Grade Crossings with Active Warning Devices
The Implementation Report of the USDOT Grade Crossing Safety Task Force

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

This derail is why we have Operation Lifesaver in America. Unfortunately, Operation Lifesaver focuses primarily upon general population education - not enough work done for grade crossing engineering and design to consider human elements and general assholeishness of drivers. Grade crossing design is often complex and problematic, requiring the planner to respond to many variables and factors. For instance, traffic signal time, interconnection of signals, coordination/preemption of signals, etc.

When a grade crossing is located near a signalized highway intersection, queues from the intersection may extent over the grade crossing and potentially cause stopped vehicles to become trapped. To avoid entrapment, traffic signals located near grade crossings need be preempted to clear vehicles off tracks before trains arrive.

However, installation of electrical interconnetion for signal preemption is an ongoing process. In the situation of the dude who got hit, you'd need to pull up the precise intersection to figure out whether electrical interconnection was installed.

Why does this matter? It plays into the formulation of the intersection's designed clear storage distance. What's clear storage distance? The space between the track and the light at an intersection. You equate clear storage distance by computing anticipated lane volume, cycle length, effective green time, saturation, and a couple other variables.

Without knowing these variables, it is entirely possible for the fault to lie with either driver. If the lane had less than 75 feet of clear storage distance, than the designer may have determined that advanced preemption was not necessary for the intersection. When the driver reports that there appeared to be two car lengths between the vehicle in front of them and the intersection, that is entirely possible. Without posting of the dash cam video and reference to the specific intersection, it is not possible to provide decent advice other than don't gently caress with trains.

For additional readings:

Preemption of Traffic Signals At or Near Railroad Grade Crossings with Active Warning Devices

Come on baby

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My wife [33F] keeps insisting on forcing our son [5M] to participate in activities in which he shows zero interest. How do I [29M] help convince her to respect our child's personal interests?

quote:

Hello Reddit, I've been married to "Linda" for six years. She is a stay at home mother, and I work as a software engineer. Our son "Louie" is starting kindergarten in September.

Louie is a typical kid; he likes to play, eat, take naps.

My issue right now is that Linda insists on taking Louie to "dance camp," and singing lessons, and from what Louie says, and his body language, he clearly detests these activities. As an adult, I don't mind them one way or another, but I'm looking at them in terms of benefits for the kid, and Louie doesn't seem to like dancing or singing at all.

When I ask Louie what he'd rather do, he prefers very much playing soccer, swimming lessons, and drawing and painting. Louie usually presents me with multiple drawings every day when I come home from work. He definitely has passion for drawing, and I'd like it if he attended art classes to help him develop this interest. He also loves playing soccer whenever he gets the chance, and I want him to explore this interest, too. On the one occasion when we took Louie to swimming lessons he had a lot of fun and wanted to do it again. I think I'd like for him to take more swimming lessons, since he says he wants to.

When I discuss this with Linda, however, she thinks that I'm trying to turn Louie into a "dumb jock" or "typical bro."

WHAT!?

Aside from the fact that I don't see how learning to draw better makes you a "bro," I think Linda misunderstands what I'm trying to do here. Louie is clearly interested in sports such as soccer and swimming, and likes drawing, and does not like dancing or singing. I can see the value of encouraging your kids to think outside the box and help them experience new things that they might be interested in, but Louie has expressed to my wife on numerous occasions that he just does not like singing, and does not like dancing. Linda ignores his opinion however and insists that he will learn to appreciate these things.

In preschool, as at home, Louie gravitates toward sports and creative drawing, and does not like singing or dancing or being in plays.

Should I just let it alone, and say nothing while my wife insists that Louie attends singing and dancing lessons? Or should I risk a big argument and tell Linda that it would be much better to actually respect what the kid wants to do?

I should mention that the singing and dancing lessons are also very expensive, and since Louie doesn't seem to be getting anything out of it, I think it's money that might be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for your help, Reddit!

+++++

**tl;dr: son does not like singing or dancing. Wife insists he attend singing and dancing lessons. Son is miserable. What to do?**

Let Louie pick what activities he wants to do.

I wish my parents had given me a say in childhood activities.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

For additional readings:

This is what I was looking for as well

quote:

Despite the proven effectiveness of gates, lights and sequenced traffic signals, many grade crossings — crossings where a roadway and rail intersect at street level — still don’t have them. There are roughly 128,000 public railroad crossings in the U.S. Only about a third have gates and flashing lights, and about 5,000 are linked to traffic signals.

We really need to see his dash cam footage because

quote:

When the driver reports that there appeared to be two car lengths between the vehicle in front of them and the intersection, that is entirely possible.

to me reads like an unreliable narrator.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

My wife [33F] keeps insisting on forcing our son [5M] to participate in activities in which he shows zero interest. How do I [29M] help convince her to respect our child's personal interests?

Yeah all the bros I know in HS were these amazing artists.

Lady is crazy and needs to chill a bit. Its normal for kids to want to play sports.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

We do need to change how we educate boys to prevent toxic masculinity, but the way to do that is not to force them into activities they don't want to do, what the gently caress kind of crazy Internet advice is this lady getting

The goal should be to boost emotional/social intelligence, empathy, and respect of boundaries, not to give him the ability to reluctantly perform a soft-shoe routine. This is an incredibly superficial take on child-rearing and indeed on feminism

My theory is she cares more about being able to tell her mommy friends about her sensitive son who is in dance class than she does about her child's actual welfare

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

For additional readings:

John Irving, is that you?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

One of my high school BFFs mom responded basically like this after her first (gorgeous, very personal, extremely well done) tattoo on her back. She said something to the effect of, "I made you within me, so when you do something like that to yourself, you are also doing it to me, and I did not want this."

My parents have a bunch of tattoos and do not give a gently caress.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

13Pandora13 posted:

“I made you within me, so when you do something like that to yourself, you are also doing it to me”

That’s one way to ruin sex for your daughter

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My [24F] boyfriend’s [35M] family is kind of poor. How do I adjust?
I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years and we are expecting a child.
My boyfriend has proposed and I had to turn him down because of the thought of having to deal with his family my whole life.

Together for 6 years, having a child together, but turned down proposal because she doesn't want to deal with his family long term... :thunk:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Together for 6 years, having a child together, but turned down proposal because she doesn't want to deal with his family long term... :thunk:

If you are really rich, yeah, shes right

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

She's owning the poo poo out of her parents but at what cost

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LadyPictureShow posted:

Apparently all her mom friends force their sons to go do the same things she's making her kids do and they all also hate it.

gently caress all of them. You don't gain an appreciation in something by being constantly forced to do it while excluding things you do want to do.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Midnight Voyager posted:

gently caress all of them. You don't gain an appreciation in something by being constantly forced to do it while excluding things you do want to do.
Doing things you hate builds character! A wise man, Calvins dad.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Midnight Voyager posted:

Apparently all her mom friends force their sons to go do the same things she's making her kids do and they all also hate it.

13 years later she's going to be asking why her son won't speak to her like it's some kind of loving surprise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This dance and singing child, if theyre anyrhing like me, will grow up to both dislike live performances but will also work in a field that exploits art with complete disengagement so mom is gonna have a good time when he eventually has the connections to permanently shut down the youth program he was part of as a child.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

This dance and singing child, if theyre anyrhing like me, will grow up to both dislike live performances but will also work in a field that exploits art with complete disengagement so mom is gonna have a good time when he eventually has the connections to permanently shut down the youth program he was part of as a child.

That's a play I'd go watch! :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Theater and stuff is really useful for learning how to pretend you feel things