Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

Because it adds to the greater Gunn narrative? These pics will no doubt make it into mainstream news fairly soon and stir the pot up again.

It doesn’t and those pictures have been around for years.

It’s him hanging out with his weird friends on Halloween if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean I guess it adds to the larger narrative that nazis will do anything to ruin someone’s career based on making off color jokes a long time ago.

And find any kind of back logged “evidence” to use against them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

You're taking it in both threads for this one Rhyno.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

CelticPredator posted:

It doesn’t and those pictures have been around for years.

It’s him hanging out with his weird friends on Halloween if I recall.

The tweets that started this whole mess had also been around for years before they got dragged up again so :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Disney didn't already know about them Marvel probably isn't getting him back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scrap Dragon posted:

The tweets that started this whole mess had also been around for years before they got dragged up again so :shrug:

Yeah and no one cared about them. And no one would’ve cared about them if a nazi (actual)rapist didn’t get a bug up his rear end to decide that insulting the great orange was something that’s worthy of career death.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

I mean I guess it adds to the larger narrative that nazis will do anything to ruin someone’s career based on making off color jokes a long time ago.

And find any kind of back logged “evidence” to use against them.

This is my point that I'm doing a bad job of making.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Truth.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah no matter if he's apologized for them, I think once this (inevitably) becomes a bigger deal, it's the last nail in Gunn's coffin.

I expect it will be impossible to spin them. It doesn't matter that it's a joke or Halloween costume. He's literally dressed as a pedo priest. Cernovich is probably throwing a party over these pics being resurfaced.

Edit: You know, people have been saying that he apologized for these tweets 6 years ago but I have not seen anyone actually find proof that he acknowledged the tweets. Can anyone find that, a direct statement where he apologized for his Twitter, not his personal website?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Because it adds to the greater Gunn narrative? These pics will no doubt make it into mainstream news fairly soon and stir the pot up again.

We should probably just wait to see what the mainstream reaction is, then. It's not like we need to get in on this hand-wringing while the iron's still hot or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Edit: You know, people have been saying that he apologized for these tweets 6 years ago but I have not seen anyone actually find proof that he acknowledged the tweets. Can anyone find that, a direct statement where he apologized for his Twitter, not his personal website?

He didn't. He apologized for his gross anti-gay anti-women sex blog and people mixed them up and then broken nazi telephoned the point over and over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pigbuster posted:

We should probably just wait to see what the mainstream reaction is, then. It's not like we need to get in on this hand-wringing while the iron's still hot or something.

I linked it here mainly because it's an insight into what might come next. Some media outlet is going to jump on this. I'm not hand-wringing, just seeing where this is inevitably going to go.

Aphrodite posted:

He didn't. He apologized for his gross anti-gay anti-women sex blog and people mixed them up and then broken nazi telephoned the point over and over.

And yet, people keep claiming (in this and the other threads) that he apologized for those tweets as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe don’t link it and just say the nazi site is saying this and that instead of running in with a hot plate of evil trash and throwing it all over the place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You need to chill the gently caress out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think I’m at a fine level of temperament for this discussion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe don’t link it and just say the nazi site is saying this and that instead of running in with a hot plate of evil trash and throwing it all over the place.

I had no idea linking to Breitbart would set so many people off. We've got posters praising Nick Spencer's work in the Marvel threads, a dude with actual Nazi ties but man, don't dare link to the actual far right site.

CelticPredator posted:

I think I’m at a fine level of temperament for this discussion.

You're certainly being far more civil that the dude in the other thread.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know about that, but yeah it’s bad linking to a site that is very evil.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nick Spencer has nazi ties?

also yeah, don't link to breitbart and its ilk if you can at all avoid it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

Nick Spencer has nazi ties?

also yeah, don't link to breitbart and its ilk if you can at all avoid it.

He did a bad thing a long time ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

He did a bad thing a long time ago.

Well, a bunch of bad things. Actual, real world bad things. Not tweets.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That's kinda vague.

That's a very different thing from Breitbart which is all about advancing the far right agenda in the present, anyway.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

And yet, people keep claiming (in this and the other threads) that he apologized for those tweets as well.

I think he'd done so elliptically in the past, but never directly like he did the blog.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

That's kinda vague.

He tried to stop a black night club from opening in his neighborhood I think?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I linked it here mainly because it's an insight into what might come next. Some media outlet is going to jump on this. I'm not hand-wringing, just seeing where this is inevitably going to go.

The only important thing about this story is the mainstream news reaction and right now we don't know what that'll be. Like you can say "the reaction will be inevitable" or whatever but I'd rather wait for this to become an actual story first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

He tried to stop a black night club from opening in his neighborhood I think?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/11/a-primer-on-nick-spencers-cincinnati-politics/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That article doesn't lend much support to the idea that enjoying Nick Spencer's comic writing is worse than linking to the latter day equivalent of Die Sturmer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not reading that whole thing, but it seems to be defending him mostly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fangz posted:

That article doesn't lend much support to the idea that enjoying Nick Spencer's comic writing is worse than linking to the latter day equivalent of Die Sturmer.

I guess I confused being a huge racist with being an actual Nazi.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I guess I confused being a huge racist with being an actual Nazi.

That article is about how an original article, that goes out of its way to say

quote:

Are you suggesting that Nick Spencer is a nazi?
No.

that *even that* is going too far in suggesting his proposals for broken-window policing shows "fascistic tendencies".

Come on, man. All people said is don't give clicks to the nazi website. I really don't know why the existence of folks liking Spencer's lovely comics comes into this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's not all that people have said.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know you remember Gunn from Myspace or whatever, but I don't think you need to scream down everything that isn't how badly Disney should rehire him.

Even with the pictures, I wish this hadn't happened. I would rather have Gunn on G3 than not. However it is very not a good look to have this many different ways people can think of you as connected to pedophilia.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Nick Spencer is a nazi.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SonicRulez posted:

I know you remember Gunn from Myspace or whatever, but I don't think you need to scream down everything that isn't how badly Disney should rehire him.

Even with the pictures, I wish this hadn't happened. I would rather have Gunn on G3 than not. However it is very not a good look to have this many different ways people can think of you as connected to pedophilia.

Okay then get Trey Parker removed from Despicable Me 3. I cannot have such a human being a part of a kids film!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That movie came out a year ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On a related note, they did change out Louis CK’s voice work on Gravity Falls for the Blu-ray that just came out.

But he actually did something to many people.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So let's just get this somewhat back on track here?
Dream casting?
Jim Carrey as Plastic Man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

David D. Davidson posted:

So let's just get this somewhat back on track here?
Dream casting?
Jim Carrey as Plastic Man.

I know we're talking about Plastic Man, but I feel even then there's gotta be someone less annoying?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hey I don't think I've seen anything about this posted here but Marvel's got a new plan to leech your money off you tide everybody over till Avengers 4: re-release every movie in IMAX.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

Hey I don't think I've seen anything about this posted here but Marvel's got a new plan to leech your money off you tide everybody over till Avengers 4: re-release every movie in IMAX.

That’s an unhealthy amount of popcorn

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

Haha. That's stupid!

*looks up what movies are playing after 8pm each day*

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I know we're talking about Plastic Man, but I feel even then there's gotta be someone less annoying?
John Mulaney would be a really, really good Plastic Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X-O posted:

The Flash did Ralph Dibney that was basically just Plastic Man with the numbers filed off removed with acid, and they cast Hartley Sawyer, who’s basically a young Jim Carey with the numbers filed off. People seemed to like him.

• Locked thread