Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SwissCM posted:

Every time I have the itch to play Skylines I visit this thread them immediately nope out as anything I make would feel inadequate.

Just get in there, plop some props, it will all come together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
episode 6: in which I struggle with the water physics for 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MrkfLP25Rg

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

serious gaylord posted:

I started a new city with the aim of spending more time on it than my usual 'spend hours on junctions and just zone everything else' and I'm genuinely having a great time.

what are those bollards

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

donoteat posted:

loving water physics! Another great video.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

donoteat posted:

Man, I really love this series so far. Doing a cross promotion video with bsquiklehausen is awesome too; how much longer till you've radicalized the entire Skylines community?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Out: Skylines detailing with generic electronic music.
In: Skylines detailing with specific radical leftism.

Don't stop until this becomes the norm in the entire community.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

donoteat posted:

Liked and subscribed, but what about those porpoises?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

what are those bollards

Its just the spherical concrete bollards. Came as a pack on the workshop.

donoteat posted:

You're getting name dropped on some big skylines youtube accounts now and I'm genuinely so happy. These videos are great.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

donoteat posted:

A really interesting look into it. Also of note that the actual water shed this is based on in Philly is now the largest municipal park in the country now and with the better than average (for the USA) transit that Philly has a lot more people have access to it for recreation then in most other us cities which have large municipal park systems.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Fairmount Water Works assets released!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

donoteat posted:

What mod are you using to adjust your road heights like that?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Brilliant. I paused the video as soon as I saw those and went looking and couldn't find them!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

Brilliant. I paused the video as soon as I saw those and went looking and couldn't find them!

Same, I'm only looking for some of the walls but you can just disable assets in larger packs like that that you don't plan on using.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

duffmensch posted:

What mod are you using to adjust your road heights like that?

move-it
Move-It is love, move-it is life.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

move-it
Move-It is love, move-it is life.

I've been watching some older videos from people like Fluxtrance and Strictoaster from before they had move-it and I can't imagine how awful doing roads were without it.

I did a bit more to the new town. Added some big stores and some seafront style houses. Really liking this pack as you can use Painter and have all different facades.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 13, 2018

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

I've got move-it but I'm not seeing an option to move road heights up or down (aside from the align heights option).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

duffmensch posted:

I've got move-it but I'm not seeing an option to move road heights up or down (aside from the align heights option).

Select the nodes and use page up & down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

duffmensch posted:

Hold the Shift key to select multiple objects to move at once.
Drag with the mouse Left Click to move selected objects. Drag left and right with Right Click to rotate.
Use the Arrow Keys to move selected objects. Hold the Alt key for even finer movements and Shift key for bigger steps.
Use Page Up and Page Down to move object up and down (when possible. Get Prop Snapping to be able to move props up/down).
Use Ctrl + Left/Right to rotate (Trees don't rotate).
Includes undo (Ctrl+Z) and redo (Ctrl+Y) feature.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Weird, I had to resubscribe to Move-It to get it to work. Thanks! :)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

How the gently caress does Align Heights even work, anyway?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

This video series is the best thing on Youtube this whole year, not even kidding. More left criticism LPs please.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dragonshardz posted:

How the gently caress does Align Heights even work, anyway?

It's not the most intuitive, but select the things you want to be moved by the align tool, nodes, buildings, what ever. Then hit the align height button, then shift click a node or object you want to set everything to the same height as.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

It's not the most intuitive, but select the things you want to be moved by the align tool, nodes, buildings, what ever. Then hit the align height button, then shift click a node or object you want to set everything to the same height as.

Aha, that last part with shift-clicking is what I was missing. Thanks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dragonshardz posted:

Aha, that last part with shift-clicking is what I was missing. Thanks.

I don't know why they made it a shift click, it should really just be the next normal click on any object.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
My city has a sudden traffic apocalypse and flooding in places there has never been flooding so I think thats a sign from the game that its time to be done with the city as I hit 220k.

The main city is pretty typical for me: lots of dumb public transport and a hastily built underground highway network because I forget that commercial deliveries still need to get in.

The secondary city I imagined more as a Las Vegas/Orlando combination tourism destination. There's a gaudy nightlife city down by the lake that leads up to a sprawling planned mega suburb, all near a large amusement park.

I got a lot further than usual before hitting traffic issues I didn't feel like dealing with and I think this is my largest city yet, which mostly has to do with the fact I play on maps with complex terrain. Traffic Manager helped a lot with making more logical interchanges and traffic patterns so it was really quite a lot of fun. Not sure what I want to do next. The micro attention to detail in this thread always gets me thinking but I also know I don't have the patience to do it across any sizable city.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've expanded the town a bit. While I've not been basing this on any one place in particular, it is a combination of the various British seaside towns I've been to and lived in over the years. All of them have this really interesting mix of architectural styles and zoning as more expensive housing has gradually replaced industial areas. Most of the places are also very worn down too so it's been really fun to do so far.

I also took advantage of Donoteat's really cool Fairmount water works assets and used them in a museum/park based on some old waterworks I wen't to when I was 10.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

donoteat posted:

I just found this series and my god is it excellent. Thanks for all the effort!

Also, it displays just how loving bad i am at this game.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

donoteat posted:

I too would like to let you know how much I am enjoying these.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Same, I'm glad I got back into this game recently and checked this thread to find this series

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I’m getting back into this game but I’ve got massive choice paralysis in terms of picking a map. Any general recommendations for an interesting map to build on, preferably one that doesn’t have 100 dependencies?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BBJoey posted:

I’m getting back into this game but I’ve got massive choice paralysis in terms of picking a map. Any general recommendations for an interesting map to build on, preferably one that doesn’t have 100 dependencies?

Make ur own map so its perfecto

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Download the highest rated island map

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

BBJoey posted:

If you want an island map, I recommend Seenu, Nydal, or Fairytale Keys.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I finished off the center of the town today and added the trams and essential services in. This is such a change of pace for how I usually build since its taken all week to build a town of just 2000 people but I am really really enjoying it.

I also had a mod conflict at the start of last week that launched all my trees 500 feet into the air which I'm slowly fixing so please excuse any floating foliage you spot in the backgrounds.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I just found out that CSLMapView can export full-size images of your maps, so now I make sure to save a new image whenever I'm done with a session of playing so I can follow the development of the city over time.

Before:

After:

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

pure *schniff* ideology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97mS1SgI73k

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm on an island resort for my anniversary but I still stopped everything to take a break for this video. gently caress liberals, solidarity to all workers and exploited. Smash the prison industrial complex

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

great as always. do you have any plans to release the georgian shop houses ? (i spotted the name in a search in an older episode)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I heard about the prison strikes a couple years ago, didn't know they were doing another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Sluts
Nov 21, 2010

your videos are incredible