Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MMAgCh posted:

I really thought I had at least one with an actual cloak and hood somewhere, but it seems not!

Oh man, I'm not sure which one I want to go with. I can't quite figure out the signature on that third one though, "Momodevrn"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone got a good roguish female Halfling? I like the concept of the Dungeon World thief, but the art is a bit janky.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, I'm not sure which one I want to go with. I can't quite figure out the signature on that third one though, "Momodevrn"?
It would appear to be Momo-deary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god. Next time, next time.

MMAgCh posted:

It would appear to be Momo-deary.

Thank you! What's the protocol for pictures from here if it's just in home games and the like? As long as artists are credited we can use it? Do we need permission?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Why would you need someone's permission to use art in a home game?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god. Next time, next time.

Thank you! What's the protocol for pictures from here if it's just in home games and the like? As long as artists are credited we can use it? Do we need permission?

Is it usual to credit ppl in a home run game? Like do you read the list to all the players for like 10-15 minutes or just email or text it to them?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm going to assume one of their players is a copyright lawyer who is very passionate about their job.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm just paranoid ok :ohdear:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

There is something to be said for normalizing the accreditation of art by using it even in such a small scale setting because content appropriation/theft actually a huge problem on the internet.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

There is something to be said for normalizing the accreditation of art by using it even in such a small scale setting because content appropriation/theft actually a huge problem on the internet.

Playing a home game isn't on the internet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Playing a home game isn't on the internet.
https://app.roll20.net

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Like yeah dude ok I guess if he used that thing he didn't mention that's technically using the power of the internet to play a home game. You got me!

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 12, 2018

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

GruntyThrst posted:

Who's got some really good last stands/charges for me? Bonus points if the person in charge is getting hosed up. Double secret bonus points if they'e a skeleton :hb:

Gonna quote this 'cause I think it got lost on the last page!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Like yeah dude ok I guess if he used that thing he didn't mention that's technically using the power of the internet to play a home game. You got me!
"he didn't mention using this thing nearly every goon game uses and has a user base of over 2 million people therefore it doesn't count!" yeah okay pal whatever just keep on stealing art I guess

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

"he didn't mention using this thing nearly every goon game uses and has a user base of over 2 million people therefore it doesn't count!" yeah okay pal whatever just keep on stealing art I guess

Using art for characters in personal games that 6 people will ever see is not stealing art, this is dumb as gently caress.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Yawgmoth posted:

It's only stealing art if you're either making money off it or claiming/implying that you made it.

Either that or you're stealing Oglaf's art for your avatar since you don't have any attribution vOv

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's still stealing art if you use it without permission. However, when you're using it in a private thing with a few people in a one-off manner... I can't really see myself caring. Technically you're also breaking copyright if you ever play music in a session online, but same deal. I see a difference between small scale private use and something like putting someone's art on your website without permission.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Linkbacks are how artists get money 'n poo poo. Mere exposure isn't good enough.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

Using art for characters in personal games that 6 people will ever see is not stealing art, this is dumb as gently caress.

Does the line for "it's totally not stealing, that's dumb you're dumb" have to be set at 6? Because it would be way more convenient for me if it were 107. I could probably show that it was never seen by more than 6 people at once if that would help.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How about you can use the art, but you have to linkback and promote the artist, and if they want it removed they can compel you to do so?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Pollyanna posted:

How about you can use the art, but you have to linkback and promote the artist, and if they want it removed they can compel you to do so?

It worked for DPPH and NMP3s (I forget the other file sharing forum we once had). We should probably just drop this derail as lowtax already has removed stuff like that and made it bannable to link it. Another call from the FBI and no more traditional games on the forums would be a sad day.

Ok it didnt work is what I'm saying. Try not to profit off it and if you have a movie night at your house it's technically pirating but honestly I'm not expert I just like elfgames.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 12, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I agree, it's not stealing art. However, I am not an artist, and I can't make that call.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Here's good checklist:

Does the art in any way earn you money (for example, reposting material, even with attribution on your site which gives you ad revenue)
Is it something not normally available to the public without a fee (such as patreon content and similar exclusive art)?
Are you publicly rehosting something that would normally be ad-supported on their site (common examples are comics or videos)?
Are you misrepresenting the art as being made or belonging to someone other than the artist?
Is the way you are presenting the arts extremely at odds with the intended or being used in a way the originator would clearly find reprehensible (mainly using it in a political and/or sexual context)?
Has the artist asked that the piece not be shared or spread around?
Are you putting the art out in such a way that it would divert attention from an artist's work (such as rehosting an artist's entire gallery elsewhere, regardless of attribution)

If the answer to all of those questions is "no", then you're fine.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

oriongates posted:

Here's good checklist:

Does the art in any way earn you money (for example, reposting material, even with attribution on your site which gives you ad revenue)
Is it something not normally available to the public without a fee (such as patreon content and similar exclusive art)?
Are you publicly rehosting something that would normally be ad-supported on their site (common examples are comics or videos)?
Are you misrepresenting the art as being made or belonging to someone other than the artist?
Is the way you are presenting the arts extremely at odds with the intended or being used in a way the originator would clearly find reprehensible (mainly using it in a political and/or sexual context)?
Are you putting the art out in such a way that it would divert attention from an artist's work (such as rehosting an artist's entire gallery elsewhere, regardless of attribution)

:emptyquote:

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

oriongates posted:

Here's good checklist:

I think this is a fair guideline.

As an artist though, personally I don't care unless it's one of those sites whose business entire model is stealing art. But if you still feel bad you can just give me money and i'll forgive you :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/jimmy_p_knives/status/1029631901269520386

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Looking for inspirational images: fantasy characters at their lowest/worst.

Things like this:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I have an extremely specific request: looking for a woman (preferably middle aged or older) who could plausibly be a doctor or scientist and has a pair of cyber arms and legs that greatly extend her height and reach, someone who's plausibly 7 foot + preferred. Anyone got any art that looks like that?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

fantasy characters at their lowest/worst.

Different ends of the scale I guess, but

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In the vein of "having a bad day," I have these two:

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Is that last one Juan Gimenez? Because that style looks like some of his work from The Metabarons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to say yes but I went back to where I got it to be sure and can't find it anymore.

edit: a google search says its Gimenez's cover to French edition of the book Darkover.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 21, 2018

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Looking for 'different' dwarves. Quadraped dwarves, proto-dwarves, mutated dwarves. Different dwarves.

Dwarves.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Captain_Indigo posted:

Looking for 'different' dwarves. Quadraped dwarves, proto-dwarves, mutated dwarves. Different dwarves.

Dwarves.

There's always Yagrum Bagarn, last of the Dwemer!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Captain_Indigo posted:

Dwarves.

They're minis, but the Nuem from Relics are basically freaky Dwarfs - https://ttcombat.com/collections/relics/races_nuem

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This is a very specific ask, but I'm looking for aarakocra lich art. Failing that, any sort of Aztec or Mayan bird people.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Soylent Pudding posted:

This is a very specific ask, but I'm looking for aarakocra lich art. Failing that, any sort of Aztec or Mayan bird people.

From funkychinaman on Deviant Art.

Barbamon from Digimon (Karatemon and Ravmon are also worth a look)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
In search of any and all mechs! Looking to start up a game of Beam Saber soon and want a diverse portfolio to show the other players for inspiration & setting building.