Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Killing Loaf posted:

Also consider learning how to do a more dynamic press variation, like what Starting Strength has been teaching for the past few years (Rippetoe calls it the "Press 2.0"). Use that as your main "pounds on the bar" press and save strict presses for volume. SS gets a lot of poo poo here but they focus more on overhead press than anyone else I've seen, to the point of starting their own variation on the sport of Powerlifting that replaces the Bench Press with Overhead Press ("Strengthlifting").

Press 2.0 with Mark Rippetoe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc

Jordan Feigenbaum talks about advanced technique variations with the dynamic press, including some videos of him pressing 250+ lbs: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/classicpress/

Bill Starr on dynamic pressing: https://startingstrength.com/article/the_olympic-style_press

This is good. Involves the core and glutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

dads friend steve posted:

Does it? I got the impression a lot of posters itt have just outgrown it is all? After all, it is called starting strength

Alfalfa in particular has Opinions about Starting Strength. He hasn't posted here in a while though.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

All that said, shoulders recover easy and I'm definitely going to hammer those too, so it's probably a "why not both?" situation, I was just trying to figure out how I want to set my T2 exercises up this next go around. You mention strict press being limiting.....push press is definitely an option when it comes to selecting a T2 for OHP. What if I did Close grip as T2 for bench, and Push press as T2 for OHP?

Guyver posted:

If you watch you slow down at around the forehead then speed up again when your triceps take over. Push press cuts out the bottom and middle of the lift so probably not the best choice.

I'd just press more.

Push Press is more of an assistance exercise for the Jerk than the Press. Here's an article by Greg Everett (Olympic Weightlifting coach) talking about how the Press and Jerk are significantly different enough from each other that the Press isn't really useful as an assistance exercise for the Jerk, but the Push Press is. Like Guyver said, Push Press (and the Jerk) skip most of the actual pressing movement by powering through the bottom with the legs and really only work the lockout which isn't usually a sticking point for the Press.

To compare to the Bench Press, think of Dynamic Press as your competition Bench , Strict Press as Pause Bench, and Pin Press as Pin Bench. Since you're slowing down around forehead level, I'd recommend your T2 Press be a Pin Press from that height. You can keep Strict Press as your T1 since you're already very strong in that variation but definitely look into Dynamic Pressing.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I could do pin press but it would have to be seated. No rack other than that one but I could wrangle up a seat that would have the bar racked around my forehead or so. And I'm not sure pin press would even work on that kind of rack without bumping into other pins. e: There's an honest to god powerlifting gym about 15 minutes away from my work I'm going to start going to in the next few months, they have literally everything there. I could save pin presses for then at the very least.

edit: someone on r/AtS mentioned my bar path was pretty bad and looking back at it it was. It was way out in front of me on the way up, but came down about right because I actually had to move my face out of the way, so I may actually mess with that tomorrow and possibly reattempt if it's feeling good.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 10, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just pulled an all-nighter for work, wasn't about to go lift afterwards, I was too loopy to even talk straight

Hoping it didn't gently caress my routine too much

This is what it's come to, I can't take a day off even to sleep

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
did a max day today after finishing up Sheiko 32. Set a new squat PR at 420, sucked at the bench @ 275, set a new deadlift PR at 480. Two easy weeks and then I'm gonna start pushing hard for 300+ bench and 500 dead

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bought a tiny little compression top and getting it on is an adventure and a half.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

sassassin posted:

Bought a tiny little compression top and getting it on is an adventure and a half.

:wink:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I could do pin press but it would have to be seated. No rack other than that one but I could wrangle up a seat that would have the bar racked around my forehead or so. And I'm not sure pin press would even work on that kind of rack without bumping into other pins. e: There's an honest to god powerlifting gym about 15 minutes away from my work I'm going to start going to in the next few months, they have literally everything there. I could save pin presses for then at the very least.

edit: someone on r/AtS mentioned my bar path was pretty bad and looking back at it it was. It was way out in front of me on the way up, but came down about right because I actually had to move my face out of the way, so I may actually mess with that tomorrow and possibly reattempt if it's feeling good.

How hard are you squeezing your rear end?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Fairly hard, but you know how max effort lifts are, it's hard to make sure you are doing every cue perfectly. Either way, not going to bother reattempting, I'll just work on building up my base as I go into my next cycle and work on bar path, cues, and overall form and I'm sure I'll smash it next time a max rolls around.

All that said, if I'm feeling good tomorrow I might attempt 405 on deadlift. I got 325x7 last time which puts it pretty close via max calculator, and most of the times my actual deadlift max is higher than those things predict.

e: I can't believe they probated my man zzulu.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

All that said, if I'm feeling good tomorrow I might attempt 405 on deadlift. I got 325x7 last time which puts it pretty close via max calculator, and most of the times my actual deadlift max is higher than those things predict.

Go for it bro

Last time I PR’d on my deadlift my abs hurt for three days. STAY TIGHT

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

First time deadlifting since January. Lower back status: arching its eyebrows at me but not actively trying to murder me with an icepick

Also: hanging leg raises. Aaaa I hate them

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/WfgGnyZ.mp4

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Not below parallel, reps don't count

:eyepop:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dude walking by with his beers all like noooope, got my beers

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So how much strain is she putting on her hips and how young will she be when she needs a hip replacement. That jerky part of the motion just looks so terrible/painful.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Anyone have belt recommendations? The communal belts at my gym suck and are falling apart. Don't know if I should go on the budget end or splurge and risk looking like a poser.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Just drop the $120ish on a Titan or Pioneer. No one is going to care what belt your wearing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

jfc

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

Anyone have belt recommendations? The communal belts at my gym suck and are falling apart. Don't know if I should go on the budget end or splurge and risk looking like a poser.

I forget how much but I think my Inzer lever belt was like 80 or 90 bucks and I really like it. I feel really cool unsnapping the lever after I hit a deadlift.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I finally know how Zenia Onatop did her workouts!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I forget how much but I think my Inzer lever belt was like 80 or 90 bucks and I really like it. I feel really cool unsnapping the lever after I hit a deadlift.

Did you go with 10 or 13 mm?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Not DDD but I'll respond anyways. I have a 10mm Inzer prong belt and I have no complaints with it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

13mm, I like it.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

13mm, I like it.

The 10mm seem to get lost more too!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also I'm starting my new Average To Savage cycle. Its basically one of the programs that just tells you what to do for T1 and T2 and leaves the rest up to you. I want to bulk and hit enough volume to grow a bit, but not enough to murder me, so I'm going to list my 2 upper days(I still do lower of course but that's its own separate thing that's going well, so I'm not listing it here). Tell me what you guys think.

Bench Day

Bench Press AtS Sets 3 sets, reps vary depending on block but it's basic periodization
Cable Rows Superset with it

T2
Seated Barbell OHP, 3 sets again reps vary.
super set with Pull ups

T3
Incline Dumbell Bench 3 sets of 8-12
Face Pull
Lateral Raise all superset together

Cable Hammer Curl 3 of 8-14
Tricep Pushdown 3 of 8-14
Cable Fly 3 of 8-12
all superset

OHP Day

Standing Barbell OHP 3 sets
superset with Pull ups

T2
Close Grip Bench 3 sets
superset with cable rows

T3
One Arm Dumbell Z Press 3 of 8-14
Cable Lat Pullover(basically a straight arm lat pulldown thing) 3 sets of 8-14
Cable Fly 3 of 8-12
all superset

Lateral Raise 3 of 10-16
OH Tricep Extensions 3 of 8-14
EZ Bar Curl 3 of 8-14
Face Pull 3 of 10-14

I sometimes might throw some light arm/chest and delt isolation in on my deadlift day if I want to hit that stuff a 3rd time in a week, so maybe call it 2 or 3 more sets for those body parts.

I'll mainly focus on progressing the T1 and T2 per the program but will mostly focus on the pump for the other stuff, maybe trying to slowly beat out the notebook over time. Does this look like a good amount of volume for upper body? I do abs on lower days btw.

edit: One thing I'm still thinking of tweaking is adding in some sort of heavy barbell row. Maybe Pendlays super set with my main bench sets? Or even just throw the pendlays in on deadlift day.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 13, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

dads friend steve posted:

Does it? I got the impression a lot of posters itt have just outgrown it is all? After all, it is called starting strength

mark rippetoe teaches a lot of bad cues and technique when it comes to the lifts, with possibly the exception of the press because most people don't care about the press that much apart from strongmen and maybe olympic weightlifters

also he is a MAGA chud rear end in a top hat so gently caress him

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Belts are for weaklings

I saw a big dude come in and put on belt, chalk and straps and proceed to lift less than me. Shameful display

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I
Hack
Squats

(With a bar)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

mark rippetoe teaches a lot of bad cues and technique when it comes to the lifts, with possibly the exception of the press because most people don't care about the press that much apart from strongmen and maybe olympic weightlifters

also he is a MAGA chud rear end in a top hat so gently caress him

They’re fine as general pointers. Obviously past a certain....starting...point most lifters will require individualized coaching, at least beyond “sit back.”

But yeah he’s reactionist scum and will get the wall.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Belts are for weaklings

I saw a big dude come in and put on belt, chalk and straps and proceed to lift less than me. Shameful display

I'm gonna get "weakling" embroidered on my new belt.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lol@ people taking precautions against injury amirite no pain no gain

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Collapsing Farts posted:

Belts are for weaklings

Spoilers, he was just trying to hold his gut in

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

FizFashizzle posted:

They’re fine as general pointers. Obviously past a certain....starting...point most lifters will require individualized coaching, at least beyond “sit back.”

But yeah he’s reactionist scum and will get the wall.

The way he teaches the lifts are now known to be inefficient though. Like emphasising tucking on bench press and HIP DRAHV on squat

Like why learn the inefficient way first when you could just learn the better way to begin with

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

The way he teaches the lifts are now known to be inefficient though. Like emphasising tucking on bench press and HIP DRAHV on squat

Like why learn the inefficient way first when you could just learn the better way to begin with

Perhaps. It’s been a while since I read it.

When they write the book about Instagram there better be a whole chapter about how good it was for weightlifting.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm out of the loop, what're the better ways?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

I'm out of the loop, what're the better ways?

Anything by Greg Nuckols.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is on my clipboard so here’s the new official waifu of this thread.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmRJJXaAUkt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=gnzsqemo0wk9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Anti-Hero posted:

Anything by Greg Nuckols.

Or juggernaut training systems

A lot of the problem with starting strength is that raw powerlifting wasn't really a thing so all the advice mostly makes sense for multiply geared lifters

We know better now