Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Trump is very unhappy with his attorney general:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1028354010129027077

Also, I can't quite put my finger on why, but there's something really unsettling about how Trump keeps referring to "the lovely Lisa Page"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1028269328246947840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that can't actually be a trump tweet because whover posted that one was smart enough not to even try to spell Strzok

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also, I can't quite put my finger on why, but there's something really unsettling about how Trump keeps referring to "the lovely Lisa Page"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1028269328246947840

trump thirsty since hopey left

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it's unsettling because he's a sexmonster

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I thought this was some sort of joke about the SeaTac thing but with a picture of Tom cruise from Top Gun photoshopped into it. Wtf.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

“National Guard Airman promoted to prestigious flight school after performing a 4G inverted dive with hijacked Q400.”

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The John McCain School for Wayward Aviators

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Vasudus posted:

The John McCain School for Wayward Aviators

You could say that he offers a crash course

:dadjoke:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Guys, I’m John McCain is concerned.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mods changed my name posted:

You could say that he offers a crash course

:dadjoke:

He has a solid lump of airplane knowledge in his head.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Masses of knowledge?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Love u dudes c u in space

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

“National Guard Airman promoted to prestigious flight school after performing a 4G inverted dive with hijacked Q400.”

That loop did remind me of the end credits of Top Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPYLrXANv64

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Re college sports.

One of the things i learned jn class this semester regarding this thing is basically that the athletics department, and even then only the best sports, gets a lot of money for their program. This is always true in big league schools where you are in a highly sought after conference. A lot of the money comes from media rights and sponsorships. They cannot go full professional model due to lots of regulation. A lot of money is spent to get to that money making league which makes it comeptitive. Look at the WCC which has Gonzaga. Blows just about everyone out of the water. Money is poo poo here. Look at Louisville which got caught bribing players to sign. People have already pointed out that coaches make a shitload of money. In fact, in most states, the highest paid person is a coach.

The money involved is highly regulated which hurts everyone. The money has (as someone pointed out) allowed for gender diversification within sport. Women in sport is a whole crazy weird mess on its own (blame men for this) but money is always short with their teams. Hell, my physical therapist is on the USW Rugby Team and she wouldnt make it playing for country financially.

Money makes sports go around but not moreso than media. Media and sport work, and the lack of money also equates to the lack of media. The media coverage difference between leagues is night and day. Thats largely due to the event itself. Fandom ties in with some stuff but looking at media in general, the more inportant the game, the more its worth. Some podunk team vs Duke will draw higher yields of paying fans than a game versus two mediocre teams. Even if the second game would statistically be better.

College sports is evolving and will continue to do so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

College sports is evolving and will continue to do so.

And will continue to be a leech on actual academic spending, and per the NCAA, the majority of programs operate in the red.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
College sports should be largely abandoned

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Joe Paterno covered up child rape to protect his precious football. Then they rioted when he got fired.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
We live in a hell world where it’s cheeper to give your kid an extreme gaming PC than it is for hockey or football equipment. All hail Esports, the peoples sport

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

And will continue to be a leech on actual academic spending, and per the NCAA, the majority of programs operate in the red.

This is true but I wouldnt consider it a leech. Some schools made their name through sports. Granted the majority of programs operate in the red, as you said.

The difference is that popularity of college sport shadows what professional sport is popular. As college sports more resemble professional sports, viewership increases. College Basketball used to be very dull. Three pointers werent a thing, and you could literally score once and then run the clock out for the rest of the game. This was changed and steadily, viewership is on the rise.

The Handbook of Media and Sport or MediaSport by A. Wenner are good looks on the finances of professional sports. The time period we are at with sports points out that because the professional model of sports is limited within colleges, money is available to the few able to compete. Professional sports follows a professional model. A team cannot operate in the red and expect to survive. Universities dont follow that model. The thing that separates work and play from sports is still there, and these kids do work. College sports hinders itself through its regulatory process.

This stuff is really my jam and took classes about sports and media over the summer. Including a current internship at my university.
I love and am interested in sports and sports media. College sports is fun and different than professional sports for sure. So sorry for the walls of text.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gentlemen, i have a new way of dealing with people "just asking questions"

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Soulex posted:

This is true but I wouldnt consider it a leech. Some schools made their name through sports. Granted the majority of programs operate in the red, as you said.

The difference is that popularity of college sport shadows what professional sport is popular. As college sports more resemble professional sports, viewership increases. College Basketball used to be very dull. Three pointers werent a thing, and you could literally score once and then run the clock out for the rest of the game. This was changed and steadily, viewership is on the rise.

The Handbook of Media and Sport or MediaSport by A. Wenner are good looks on the finances of professional sports. The time period we are at with sports points out that because the professional model of sports is limited within colleges, money is available to the few able to compete. Professional sports follows a professional model. A team cannot operate in the red and expect to survive. Universities dont follow that model. The thing that separates work and play from sports is still there, and these kids do work. College sports hinders itself through its regulatory process.

This stuff is really my jam and took classes about sports and media over the summer. Including a current internship at my university.
I love and am interested in sports and sports media. College sports is fun and different than professional sports for sure. So sorry for the walls of text.

Hmm, no

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soulex posted:

This is true but I wouldnt consider it a leech. Some schools made their name through sports.

Their name as a school with an athletic program? An academic or research powerhouse that "made their name" as such because of their loving football team? Lol c'mon man

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

thank you for the report timmy, B+

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Soulex posted:

I love and am interested in sports and sports media.
Might be good to take a step back, challenge your priors, and limit your Kool Aid consumption.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

Their name as a school with an athletic program? An academic or research powerhouse that "made their name" as such because of their loving football team? Lol c'mon man

I mean as a reason why students join. Roll tide because they have a great academic and research program? I dont think so. The same reason why athletes arent lining up at Harvard specifically for athletic programs.

Fandom is a large driving force. College football is massive in the south. Many schools are considered for athletic programs and not as much for academia in these regards. The "weight" of their degree pales in comparison to the experience of being there. That is big for fans. The live experience is a large driving force for fandom in general. Some other forces deal with the sense of community or the location of the university.

You can believe whatever you want to though. I get excited talking about this stuff because I live it and breathe it every day. I also hope Im not coming off as eccentric. I also understand that I dont have to convince you to believe me. The two references I had were my books for class. Im sure my professor can give me some others if needed.

Edit: alright whatever. gently caress you guys.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
All this makes me glad I went to a highly respected school with cruddy athletics

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

All this makes me glad I went to a highly respected school with cruddy athletics

the best position imo is my school, which has among the best athletics and the entire student body gives 0 shits. also the alumni, mostly

a university's contribution to society is about half teaching and half research and athletics is a footnote. i work for a sports dealio branching out to big enterprise dealios and i still think that. you can think it's more teaching or more research but any reasonable person realizes we could cut athletics out entirely and the rest of society will handle it

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 12, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Soulex posted:

I mean as a reason why students join. Roll tide because they have a great academic and research program? I dont think so. The same reason why athletes arent lining up at Harvard specifically for athletic programs.

Fandom is a large driving force. College football is massive in the south. Many schools are considered for athletic programs and not as much for academia in these regards. The "weight" of their degree pales in comparison to the experience of being there. That is big for fans. The live experience is a large driving force for fandom in general. Some other forces deal with the sense of community or the location of the university.

You can believe whatever you want to though. I get excited talking about this stuff because I live it and breathe it every day. I also hope Im not coming off as eccentric. I also understand that I dont have to convince you to believe me. The two references I had were my books for class. Im sure my professor can give me some others if needed.

Edit: alright whatever. gently caress you guys.

Buddy, everyone loves a game of sportball but in the context of college athletics, the drain they impose on finances, the patriarchal culture leading to the various abuses and cover ups and in the context of football, brain holes, it's all pretty indefensible.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Not to mention that the athletes earn no money at all from what is effectively a full time job. In a billion dollar business in some cases no less.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can I just point out that Doug Harris of the Washington Nationals has a gofundme for his experimental leukemia treatment. The owner or w/e Ted Lerner is worth 5.2 billion

It’s experimental and everything but lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I love football but college athletics are a horribly broken thing that needs to die. While I was at U Texas the athletic Dept recorded an all time profit record for schools nationwide, bringing in over $220m and we're doing a $6m renovation to the football stadium.

Meanwhile we were in our 2nd of a 3 yr long hiring and wages freeze because the school budget was hosed (repercussions of the 2008 crash).

The college football experience is really neat and a very unique thing. But drat, it's just not worth the exploitation, biogtry and academic hipocracy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Imagine going into the hellacious debt of college and picking your school because they have a good football team

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Not to mention that the athletes earn no money at all from what is effectively a full time job. In a billion dollar business in some cases no less.

Weeellll that's not completely accurate. https://abc7ny.com/sports/schools-players-named-in-ncaa-basketball-pay-to-play-investigation/3129519/

If you're talented people are willing to cough up some $$.

Of course none of it is legal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Where do people get the idea that most college athletes don’t get degrees? In 2017, 87% of college athletes earned a diploma.

In sports like football it’s lower, but still around 75-80% graduation rate.

I don’t really follow college athletics as a fan, but this reeks of a lot of bullshit hearsay about dumb jocks etc.

E: it gets really pernicious at very very white schools where people talk poo poo about college athletics because of the black athletes on sports teams and track/field.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 12, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1028099185562857472

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Make payday lending to junior enlisted great again.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/929320777668628480

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think a lot can be said about the rigor of the coursework that college athletes have to do, what with them being away all the time. But not by me, since I'm just a nerd that reads too much about too many things to have any domain expertise. But I do recall a bunch of articles from teachers complaining that athletes miss a huge amount of classes and they basically have to design a second curriculum with the expectation that the athletes will pass it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It can also vary by how perverse the incentives. If you have a monster football program making tons of profits that in turn fund research and faculty salary, you might be more pressured to create a rather academic crummy program to funnel athletes into.

On the other hand, I went to a big state school that was never particularly good at football, and the football players knew it. So of the six or seven I knew, only one was getting a super generic sports management degree. The others were doing things like business school, education, an accountant etc. That program also routinely had assistant coaches tasked to go spot check classes and make sure athletes weren’t skipping class or leaving class early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And let's be honest: Collegiate Football is just a subsidized NFL training camp, that we pay for.

• Locked thread