Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Tunicate posted:

There's a maverick hunter RPG that occasionally runs on /tg/ which mostly manages the difficult task of trying to force the setting to make sense.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Maverick%20Hunter%20Quest

Honestly I consider a lot of what they did come up with to be canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

For Mega Man Legends I remember there being a somewhat early boss that has the potential to stonewall you if you forgot the Range stat was a thing. It's been years though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll give them a try. I can tolerate some early 3D jank as long as there’s something still redeeming about the game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
X6 isn't as bad as I remember it being the last time I played it 10+ years ago. To be fair though, I spent like, 2 hours playing, and just got Zero and all the reploids and items in 2 stages so far. One of them being the RNG Museum. Hence the time. About to go into the Lava Zone, and maybe I'll hate it again after that. But so far I like it more than 3.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ll give them a try. I can tolerate some early 3D jank as long as there’s something still redeeming about the game.

They're good. I prefer to have strafing on L1 and R1 and recommend that to others.

In the first game, just remember that you'll never need to sell anything because money's not too hard to come across. Once you have the Vacuum Arm, you can just grind for all the cash you'll ever need in the Cardon Woods ruin until you open up the sub cities at the end of the game. Every ruin but the first one is connected and you can spend a lot of time just wandering around underground finding poo poo and racking up money.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Also Legends 2 is a much prettier game but I strongly disagree with people saying 1 is bad or aged particularly worse.

There are two early boss gauntlets that are kind of difficult (Lake Jyun in particular tends to wreck me at least once a run) but they're not insurmountable or anything. The fact that there are so many bosses to kill is good.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

A neat detail with Legends 1 is that all the dungeons are interconnected, they're just blocked off. You can use the jet skates to rub up a specific corner of the wall in one of the early dungeons and you can phase through it. Just move around a bit when you're falling down and you'll wind up in a corridor that goes into an area of the final dungeon.

Sadly, the door leading to the deeper parts of the dungeon doesn't work so you can't even try and finish the game early. The only interesting bits with it are getting a lot of parts way earlier to play around with, and that you can get to a large warehouse you're not supposed to be able to access yet.
Trying to go inside before the story lets you just softlocks the game by trapping you in an area with no door out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I swear there's some sprite shenanigans with the X Legacy Collection. Had another shot disappear after I fired it during the wireframe part of Sigma's fight in X2 (kind of wish there was an option for the slowdown in X2 as it fucks with my muscle memory too hard).

Also had no idea until I looked at trophies that Morph Moth can change regardless of being damaged to half health. I don't think I've ever let him sit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

food court bailiff posted:

Also Legends 2 is a much prettier game but I strongly disagree with people saying 1 is bad or aged particularly worse.

There are two early boss gauntlets that are kind of difficult (Lake Jyun in particular tends to wreck me at least once a run) but they're not insurmountable or anything. The fact that there are so many bosses to kill is good.
The aiming system in 2 is so much better than 1 that it is hard to go back. I do miss the weapon stats being visually represented during upgrades. No guessing which weapons do piss poor damage after several upgrades. That would be a welcome mod for the next collection.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phantasium posted:

I swear there's some sprite shenanigans with the X Legacy Collection. Had another shot disappear after I fired it during the wireframe part of Sigma's fight in X2 (kind of wish there was an option for the slowdown in X2 as it fucks with my muscle memory too hard).

Also had no idea until I looked at trophies that Morph Moth can change regardless of being damaged to half health. I don't think I've ever let him sit.

Yeah same. It was kind of cool to let him sit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta stop assuming I'm gonna be able to beat a boss first go and go and save

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
in MML? Yeah always save. I learned the hard way when I lost to Tron Bonne. There are some nasty things that game to you because there is no invunlerablity flickering in that. You get hit by an explosion and another goes off? Yeah you are gonna get hit by that too.

Though luckily MML makes it at least somewhat obvious when there is a boss battle coming.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

That would be a welcome mod for the next collection.

After reading this I feel like if Capcom released an MML Collection on PC, suddenly we'll hear that they've actually been working on MML3 all along with a release date of 2019.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Airspace posted:

After reading this I feel like if Capcom released an MML Collection on PC, suddenly we'll hear that they've actually been working on MML3 all along with a release date of 2019.

It would be hilarious if this happened and it still was only on 3DS.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
it’s been ages since i played x5. are there any negatives to choosing the fourth armor?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

it’s been ages since i played x5. are there any negatives to choosing the fourth armor?

Not really, if you pick X at the start you begin with the Fourth Armor but Zero loses his buster (which is basically useless in this game anyway). If you pick Zero you get his Z-Buster but X will be completely unarmored (and I think getting the complete armor parts basically becomes impossible for a while because one of the Falcon Armor parts requires the charged version of Duff McWhalen/Tidal Whale's weapon and at least one of the Gaea Armor parts requires the Falcon Armor). So yeah, it's probably better just to start with X.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If you mean the Falcon Armor piece in Duff McWhalen's stage, X can fire while ducking and hit the bomb. I too keep forgetting you can duck in 5 and 6. If you mean a different one, I don't recall any pieces requiring a charged move.

Started X6 last night, first time since probably getting the previous collection on Gamecube. Having the saber button be the top feels weird, its damage is poo poo, and the game is actively trying to kill me the instant the starter gun fires. I guess it's the freshman game without Inafune on it, but the UI seems higher res and a few other improvements, but younger me didn't notice how rough the early game was for building momentum.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Larryb posted:

Not really, if you pick X at the start you begin with the Fourth Armor but Zero loses his buster (which is basically useless in this game anyway). If you pick Zero you get his Z-Buster but X will be completely unarmored (and I think getting the complete armor parts basically becomes impossible for a while because one of the Falcon Armor parts requires the charged version of Duff McWhalen/Tidal Whale's weapon and at least one of the Gaea Armor parts requires the Falcon Armor). So yeah, it's probably better just to start with X.

i didn’t even realize the intro stage choice had an effect :pwn:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

If you mean the Falcon Armor piece in Duff McWhalen's stage, X can fire while ducking and hit the bomb. I too keep forgetting you can duck in 5 and 6. If you mean a different one, I don't recall any pieces requiring a charged move.

That's the one. Nevermind then, I had no idea until just now that there was another way to set it off.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i didn’t even realize the intro stage choice had an effect :pwn:

Yes, it's literally the only way to get the Fourth Armor in this game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sometimes I wonder if Split Mushroom is actually a mistranslation of "Spirit Mushroom" since one of the abilities you get from him is "Soul Body" and mushrooms are associated with spirit-y stuff.

#thingsIthinkofwhiledrunk

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Split Mushroom is actually a mistranslation of "Spirit Mushroom" since one of the abilities you get from him is "Soul Body" and mushrooms are associated with spirit-y stuff.

Could see it, After all Metal Shark Player is supposed to be Metal Shark Prayer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

It doesn't look like it unless it's that way in the Japanese version too. It's just plain "split". It's supposed to refer to his ability to copy himself

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Could see it, After all Metal Shark Player is supposed to be Metal Shark Prayer.

Why are BOTH of those names so stupid? What was wrong with Metal Shark, or Anchor Hammerhead, or some combination of those words?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't look like it unless it's that way in the Japanese version too. It's just plain "split". It's supposed to refer to his ability to copy himself

To be specific, it's supurit not supirit, so it definitely can't be.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Just beat Gate in X6, so I'll have it finished soon. If anyone is still struggling or about to, I'm offering my tactic/setup for X on Nightmare:
- Blade Armor because otherwise you'll fall into so many holes.
- Jumper, Hyper Dash and Quick Charge. I think for the fight itself you can leave out Hyper Dash if you don't want to farm all those Souls (it's not THAT tedious though if you use Dynamo and the stupidly unintuitive method). I used up the Life Recover on High Max, so if you have that still, even better.
- Quick Charge allows you to fire off Blade Armor Up+Charge shots with very little delay, the big slash. This INSTANTLY destroys Gate's orbs if you hit them dead-on and is key to making it go smoothly.
- Magma Blade is a nice backup special weapon if poo poo hits the fan and you're suddenly surrounded by Gate and three orbs. Slash away and you might just destroy an orb with it, even though the hitbox is stupid and you can't really hit ones that are currently on you for some reason.
- You'll almost always be trading with him, meaning you'll get hit by the orb's shots as well as Gate, but you'll easily outlast him if you have been diligent with your health ups. I got all of them and had about half my life left after my eventual victory. If you have space/want to maybe replace Jumper with Shock Buffer or whatever part cuts damage, go for that.
- You can try to finagle the green and the yellow orbs so that only Gate gets hit by them, but it's tough because the Blade Armor ranged charged shot is such crap.
- Maybe the blue one if you're really good, but better don't risk it.
- Always always always destroy the purple and red orbs asap, even if only you and not Gate gets hit, especially the red ones will straight-up kill you or cause you to get hit over and over while they persist.
- Learn the fight. Ultimately, nothing will be a surefire way (at least with my setup) to guarantee that you don't need to practice. You need to lure Gate into the correct positions so you're free to hit the orbs quickly before they cause you too many problems, without him getting in the way or not getting hit at all. You need to make sure not to get trapped on the wall when he decides three orbs are better than one and also gently caress you. You need to learn where to stand so his big attack does not hit you and/or plunge you into a pit (Blade Armor's great in the platform destroyed underneath you emergency, though). All of this requires mostly planning, routine and patience.
- Practice curses for when everything goes great and you learn that a rematerializing platform overlapping your sprite even a tiny bit means instant death.

Good luck!

Also, can't believe that you don't even get an Achievement for rescuing all the Reploids in X6, only X7. Or do I have to finish the game for that to ping? I don't see it in the in-game list, but I do one for X7...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shock Buffer doesn't stack with armours' inherent damage reduction, unfortunately.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TaurusOxford posted:

Why are BOTH of those names so stupid? What was wrong with Metal Shark, or Anchor Hammerhead, or some combination of those words?

Well he's a necromancer. The Prayer is supposed to reflect how he prays and resurrects.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like the Japanese style names more than the typical "Adjective Animal" naming scheme. It makes them sound more like individuals rather than just a robot someone made, which is significant for reploids. Just being "something animal" dehumanizes them.

also "Bamboo Pandemonium" is infinitely better than something like "Fireworks Panda" or "Rocket Panda" or "Bamboo Panda".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's kind of hosed up because "prayer" doesn't actually refer to someone who prays, in the way a runner runs or a fire fighter fights fires. It's a weird Japanese-English pseudo-malapropism, and it definitely should have been better adapted/translated.

But it's not like the PSX/PS2 era games having confused translation is something new.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nodosaur posted:

I like the Japanese style names more than the typical "Adjective Animal" naming scheme. It makes them sound more like individuals rather than just a robot someone made, which is significant for reploids. Just being "something animal" dehumanizes them.

also "Bamboo Pandemonium" is infinitely better than something like "Fireworks Panda" or "Rocket Panda" or "Bamboo Panda".

I feel like if reploids were that worried about being dehumanized by "adjective animal" names then they would ask to stop being designed after animals and solve the entire issue.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

It's kind of hosed up because "prayer" doesn't actually refer to someone who prays, in the way a runner runs or a fire fighter fights fires. It's a weird Japanese-English pseudo-malapropism, and it definitely should have been better adapted/translated.

But it's not like the PSX/PS2 era games having confused translation is something new.

Thus ESPer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

I feel like if reploids were that worried about being dehumanized by "adjective animal" names then they would ask to stop being designed after animals and solve the entire issue.

I'm speaking from an out of universe concept here. Like "If they're gonna be based on animals I'd rather they do this".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nodosaur posted:

I'm speaking from an out of universe concept here. Like "If they're gonna be based on animals I'd rather they do this".

I distinctly remember appreciating how different the enemy names were when I first played the Zero series, precisely because they seemed more like names an individual person might have, regardless of how weird they were.

When I learned later on that the X series mavericks had a similar naming convention, I was actually a little disappointed.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Are there any weird things with X3 that i need to compete by a certain time/number of bosses killed like there was in X2? Why are there empty boss rooms halfway through the levels?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Capsaicin posted:

Are there any weird things with X3 that i need to compete by a certain time/number of bosses killed like there was in X2? Why are there empty boss rooms halfway through the levels?

They pop up after you get 3 Mavericks killed I think, two minibosses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I distinctly remember appreciating how different the enemy names were when I first played the Zero series, precisely because they seemed more like names an individual person might have, regardless of how weird they were.

When I learned later on that the X series mavericks had a similar naming convention, I was actually a little disappointed.

I really disliked the zero series names because they were unmemorable mashes of syllables

The only ones I can remember of zero's animal bosses are Aztec Falcon and Flame Heatnix, but then I looked it up and it turns out that Heatnix is the Japanese name of an X6 maverick and I haven't even played X6

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I really dislike the Japanese Maverick names because they're nigh-unintelligable Engrish nonsensical semi-puns. They're robots, it's okay for them to have boring names because they're built for a specific purpose, like the old Robot Masters from the classic series. People dunk on the weird joke names from X5, but then most of the same people turn around and praise the crappy Japanese names? Really?

Is "Duff McWhalen" so much worse than "Icy Penguigo" or "Launch Octopuld?"

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 13, 2018

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
my favorite robot name is douglas

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I also prefer the simple noun+animal naming convention over the original japanese names, the mishmash of engrish and japanese makes it unnecessary hard to remember the names, making them pointless, moreso in the Zero series when mythological names come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They actually always had that, it was just that after a certain point they stopped giving a poo poo about localizing the names around X6 (X5 they did the unironically brillaint guns n roses names)