Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

You're right, I should have said "...a teenager who gets the best of him every time except for once when he dressed up as and pretended to be the teenager and then killed himself."

Seriously though, there is room for Kraven to be both. Spider-Man's villains, simply by virtue of being Spider-Man villains, are prime targets to be taken down a peg but we should just let readers appreciate the tones and styles of different books and stories because a character can go from serious to silly and back again (or the reverse). Shocker's a good example. I like serious, dangerous Kraven and Shocker. And I like funny Kraven and Shocker. I'm also reading Howard the Duck and Spider-Man is presented as a hilariously broken, sobbing do-nothing but those stores don't take away from him being Marvel's premier superhero elsewhere, like in Spectacular Spider-Man written by the same author!

We clearly agree, it's just frustrating when they show up in something like USG and you have people loudly complaining they're a joke now or (general) you can't take them seriously anymore or whatever. Comics are vast and contain multitudes etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Isn't this the third Kraven? Or did the original come back to life?

The original came back.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife legit shed a tear for Sergei in the last issue of Squirrel Girl last night. She reads precisely zero other Spider-Man comics. If that comic makes people like that happy, then gently caress the people who get pissed off that people enjoy it.

Like how Gwenpool came out and everyone liked Batroc the Leaper in that. A good author can make you care about a lovely character.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Spider-Mans, I genuinely didn't see the reveal coming in Renew Your Vows that Annie's 'clone' was actually RYV Mayday all along. I mean, they even established she existed in an earlier issue, and that Sinister had raided the Oscorp genetic research labs, but :tviv:. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Quick PSA: Renew your Vows owns and if you like Spidered Mans, you should read it.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
So last thing I read with Doom was Infamous Iron Man. Is there a series I missed between that and the new FF that explains naked Doom?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

frgildan posted:

So last thing I read with Doom was Infamous Iron Man. Is there a series I missed between that and the new FF that explains naked Doom?

Invincible Iron Man.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
They posted a preview of the Edge of Spider-Geddon book I did with Gerardo Sandoval just now!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kang the Conglomerator is inspired.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Kang is the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One thing I've been meaning to ask, was it your choice to make it be Hobie under the mask? I love that choice. I'm a big fan of Hobie in the 616 and love any time Prowler shows up. Like in the recent run where he was helping Peter out while he was globetrotting with Mockingbird.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

It was! I grew up on boxes of my dad's old comics from the 70s and the Prowler origin issue always stuck with me. I thought he would be cool as Spider-Man (138).

edit: to clarify- apparently Coipel created a punk Spider-Man to be Spider-UK, but that didn't fit. So Sheldon and I were asked to give that particular Spider-Man a backstory and ID, which was when he became Hobie.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 10, 2018

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Since you're here, what does the extra credit off to the side "artwork by Sheldon Vella" mean?
It's a little confusing for me, considering the other credits for pencils & inks, colors, and letters. What is "artwork" referring to?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Speaking of the Fantastic Four.

I’m halfway through FF Masterworks Vol. 1 and enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I’d enjoy reading 50 year old comic books.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

Since you're here, what does the extra credit off to the side "artwork by Sheldon Vella" mean?
It's a little confusing for me, considering the other credits for pencils & inks, colors, and letters. What is "artwork" referring to?

That's just for the recap page art, taken from Spider-Verse #2, which Sheldon drew, inked and colored.w

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

X-O posted:

Invincible Iron Man.

Oh god that's right. Doom got ugly again fighting a demon.

I forgot because Marvel Two-in-One happened where Doom is still cool.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That's just for the recap page art, taken from Spider-Verse #2, which Sheldon drew, inked and colored.w

Cool. Thanks for that.
Looking forward to your new book!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OhFunny posted:

Speaking of the Fantastic Four.

I’m halfway through FF Masterworks Vol. 1 and enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I’d enjoy reading 50 year old comic books.

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four is probably the greatest long run on comics ever. Claremont X-Men is the only thing I can think of that comes close, but that has it's lows (oh my god the lows).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four is probably the greatest long run on comics ever. Claremont X-Men is the only thing I can think of that comes close, but that has it's lows (oh my god the lows).

I also nominate Peter David Hulk.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also nominate Peter David Hulk.

Does Simonson's Thor count as a long run because if so I'd like to make a nomination

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

If you really liked PADguy's Madrox from his first X-Factor run then I recommend the third volume of X-Factor which had a run of just as many issues as his Hulk despite 1) fewer years, 2) a renumbering, 3) a heart attack and 4) a title change.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Does Simonson's Thor count as a long run because if so I'd like to make a nomination

It's certainly worth being your favorite run of comics ever, so yes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Mark Gruenwald on Captain America is far from perfect but it's also up there for me in terms of iconic and quite long Marvel runs, and it's remarkably strong for a very long time.

Edit: It also occured to me to look it up, and you know what? G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel is currently just about as long as Simonson's Thor so I'd toss that on there as well unless it becomes drastically, drastically worse all of a sudden. Bendis on Daredevil is just about as long too-- his Ultimate Spider-Man was of course longer but I don't know if I'd put it on the same level as the other runs being discussed here.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 12, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bendis' Daredevil was great.

Hickman's Fantastic Four is up there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Bendis' Daredevil was great.

Hickman's Fantastic Four is up there.

Bendis/Maleev Daredevil is probably the greatest Daredevil run ever, but it's also half the length of Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Look at all these people talking about long runs and no one talks about Aaron on Thor.

I was talking to my brother about this on the weekend. Arguably, Aaron's run was inspired by Alan Moore talking smack about modern comics.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Speaking of runs and Alan Moore, what the gently caress is the status of miracle man now? Indefinitely hiatus for another 5 years?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Billzasilver posted:

Speaking of runs and Alan Moore, what the gently caress is the status of miracle man now? Indefinitely hiatus for another 5 years?

Newsarama posted:

At the 2018 San Diego Comic Con at a retailer only event Marvel announced legal hurdles causing the cancellation had been resolved and the new series will begin publication in 2019 with the previously announced creative team of Gaiman and Buckingham on board.

Source.

...so yeah, 5 years is a safe bet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They flat out refused to answer my question about it last year. "We're not discussing MM today."

I'd love to know the details behind the cock up.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Bendis/Maleev Daredevil is probably the greatest Daredevil run ever, but it's also half the length of Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four.

I know it's still fairly recent but I believe the Waid/Samnee Daredevil run deserves to be in the discussion of best Daredevil runs ever.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Reset Smith posted:

I know it's still fairly recent but I believe the Waid/Samnee Daredevil run deserves to be in the discussion of best Daredevil runs ever.

I'd certainly second that. And unlike Bendis I feel like it wraps up in a very satisfying way.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Hickman Fantastic 4/FF/Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars are my favourite comic books.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kikkoman posted:

Hickman Fantastic 4/FF/Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars are my favourite comic books.

:yeah: God drat that run was so good from start to finish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Reset Smith posted:

It's good, but it's behind Miller in the Daredevil rankings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

I'd certainly second that. And unlike Bendis I feel like it wraps up in a very satisfying way.

Bendis left his run open at the request of Brubaker.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Rhyno posted:

Bendis left his run open at the request of Brubaker.

Ah, well that's unfortunate for two reasons.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kikkoman posted:

Hickman owns. Even the stuff he's done that has been a miss for me (Red Wing) hasn't been bad, just a bit muddled and average, which is impressive for such a prolific creator. Though I could understand why people were not happy with the Avengers doing awful things; hopefully ill-feeling over that was dissipated by Secret Wars. I really want to see him write for DC - I think his style will suit the more mythic feel which DC has by comparison with Marvel.

Additionally, in what is probably old news, I just noticed further Miracleman issues have finally cleared the final legal hurdle and are set for release in 2019. I've heard this before so won't hold my breath; regardless, I just wanted to say gently caress Todd McFarlane for tying this property up so long. gently caress him and his hundreds of millions of dollars.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 13, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Speaking of Hickman how was the finale to SHIELD?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Speaking of Hickman how was the finale to SHIELD?

it looked and sounded and felt amazing. some of the visuals and speeches were the best comics i've ever read in my life.

BUT! it's not really a finale at all, it barely feels like we reached a third of the way into the complete story. As a supposed ending, that's extremely painful. (maybe leonardo da vinci will show up in iron man again? :shrug:)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Marvel no

https://www.newsarama.com/41335-john-byrne-says-marvel-has-reached-out-about-new-work.html?utm_source=notification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao DC and Marvel keep trying to one up the other in bad decisions.