Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
That's what I thought, this shouldn't even be a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ka0 posted:

That's what I thought, this shouldn't even be a concern.

It's still very, very bad. Fragmentation hasn't increased that much since, like the original Build Fighters. Or IBO or Unicorn.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Most of us are only watching this because it has Gundam in the name.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
But the kits are selling right? If anything UC unicorn stuff still selling a shitload, that's more than enough right?
They should've really tried to keep the original build fighters writing team on board.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Most of us are only watching this because it has Gundam in the name.

I'd be shocked to find out someone got hooked watching the first episode and not caring about Gundam.

Ka0 posted:

But the kits are selling right? If anything UC unicorn stuff still selling a shitload, that's more than enough right?
They should've really tried to keep the original build fighters writing team on board.

Despite the show being awful. I've picked up a few kits and have seen some heavy enthusiasm for specific kits online. But that would probably only translate to more kits and some manga spin off to pair with the kits. Not that anything could save the show at this point. Maybe a few more ova 10v10 battles to hype up the next wave of kits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

The original director left to do My Hero Academia, so he probably wouldn't be available.

As for kits, I don't know. Hobby sites don't seem to be putting them as high on the bestseller lists as IBO kits tended to get, the 00 Diver is apparently getting marked down to half price, and the base prices for most of the line are on the high end, with only two kits 1500 or below in the main line, and suits being produced well after their time in the limelight on the show. (Okay, technically 3, but Bandai announced plans to end the production of the base 00 Diver to switch over to the version with the backpack included if memory serves, which drops them back down to two.) Compare to IBO, where even the absolute monster kits like the Ein and the Julia came in at a pocket-change friendly 1400 yen, and it suggests that one line's probably doing better with the budget minded consumer. For the same price as the Galbaldy Rebake, you could pick up a Guision Rebake Full City and a nice grunt suit to crush in the scissors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

the 00 Diver is apparently getting marked down to half price

To be fair, that kit had barely time to breathe before the 00 Sky was revealed and most people probably just bought the launch version and Diver pack. It was never going to do well.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
No kidding. Here are the release-dates according to Bandai-hobby.net.

00-Diver: April 07 for 1080 yen
Diver Ace Unit (the backpack): May 11 for 756 yen, so that makes 1836 yen if you grabbed the 00-diver and got its backpack the next month.
00 Diver Ace: July 21 for 2160 yen
00-Sky: August 31 for 1620 yen, 2376 for the special edition

The diver Ace will be out for little over a month before the 00-sky comes in. Add in over-lapping pre-order times and I for one decided to throw my money at the 00-sky (the special edition) and wait for a while.

The regular 00-diver and its backpack are not only cheaper than the full 00-Diver Ace all in one kit, but they got a month or two/three to breathe before the 00-Sky comes in to compete. And why the long wait between the release of the backpack and the 00-Diver Ace? I can only assume it is because the sales of the backpack and base unit were expected to plummet once the 00-Diver Ace came out.

In any case, it's a Tuesday and that means a new episode.

It's a Riku episode, enough said.

So the episode starts with some form of time-attack tournament thing. The idea of using 5 gundams in chronological order isn't bad, but that was some abysmal funnel-usage. The whole point of funnels is to spray pink death from all directions as the guns zig and zag like a swarm of particularly pissed off bees, not to line up as if you're using muskets.

I paused when the ranking screen showed up. Mostly to see who was on there. There's the fox and wolf couple of course, and Riku (duh). But other than them the majority are strangers to me. Pumpkinman was awesome because of his name alone, but the real winner for me was GENM on Rank 6. He/she uses a FA Fantong (Full Armour?), which is apparently the PREDECESSOR of the clunky old middle-east walking tank seen in 00. You know, the thing with the chin-gun that makes a Zaku 1 look like a cutting edge super-machine.

Next up was Randy in the Moebius Zero who sounded familiar. So I went and checked out the most likely place of where I might have heard the name. And yup, he's the radical purple-haired glasses-wearing fellow who shows up in episode 10 as part of the big alliance. He also used a green Moebius Zero during that arc, so it checks out.

I also saw a Kisaragi on spot 9, from a group called Eternal Seed. The combination of Seed and my hunch that the name was feminine (NOTE: I don't know a drat thing about Japanese boy/girl names) I went to the theme-park episode to check but no, he/she is not one of the two girls from the beargguy episode.

Nothing interesting happened (Riku wants to get stronger, they've added a pool and all-the-beams-Jegan isn't done yet) until the Gundam fight started. Poor Patrick gets one-shotted in the first round.
Tequila-man was also back, but one of Tiger-wolf's generic monks got to take revenge this time around.

As for the main fight, it had its moments. But err...why did Rommel crack his recording? That doesn't feel in-character at all. This is the ferret that is willing to throw his troops at suicide missions repeatedly just so he can work up a winning strategy after all. He's not the kind of person who would throw out info for what...honour?

So Riku now officially has his special move. And it's a bit underwhelming being basically a new brand of beam saber. Ah well. Down-position on the gn-drives, the shining finger, the beam shields. As far as marketing the 00-Sky kit goes, this episode did a good job.

But the best part of all? Next episode will be the Momo-show. I'm hoping for lots of silly clown-antics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was a drat good fight. I really liked that Riku lost rather than a cliche "HE HAS SURPASSED THE MASTER!!" and benching TigerWolf as any kind of potential threat. He was still soundly standing and raring to kick Riku's rear end.

I've been waiting for those things on the 00 Sky's wrists to turn out to be Shining Fingers too, and I love that the drat thing has as many Gundam protagonist special abilities tacked on as possible. Because of course that's what you'd do in an online game. Maybe for the Raid Battle it can just throw out a Moonlit Butterfly and crash the game for everyone.

maninthesuit posted:

No kidding. Here are the release-dates according to Bandai-hobby.net.

00-Diver: April 07 for 1080 yen
Diver Ace Unit (the backpack): May 11 for 756 yen, so that makes 1836 yen if you grabbed the 00-diver and got its backpack the next month.
00 Diver Ace: July 21 for 2160 yen
00-Sky: August 31 for 1620 yen, 2376 for the special edition

The diver Ace will be out for little over a month before the 00-sky comes in. Add in over-lapping pre-order times and I for one decided to throw my money at the 00-sky (the special edition) and wait for a while.

The regular 00-diver and its backpack are not only cheaper than the full 00-Diver Ace all in one kit, but they got a month or two/three to breathe before the 00-Sky comes in to compete. And why the long wait between the release of the backpack and the 00-Diver Ace? I can only assume it is because the sales of the backpack and base unit were expected to plummet once the 00-Diver Ace came out.

You've missed that there's just shy of a full two months between the Diver Ace Unit and the standalone 00 Diver Ace, so anyone who wanted the latter was just going to buy the 00-Diver and Ace unit separately well before the standalone version ever saw a retail shelf.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I thought it was an ok episode. I mean, I hate Tigerwolf and I hate Riku even more but they managed to pull a decent fight together. Also I liked how the event ranking gave us a more tangible example of Rikus ability rather than having to count the number of characters in the queue to suck his dick.

On the post credits I wish they'd stop beating around the bush, we all know the "bug" is Sara, just get on with the storyline or leave it on the table for another month.
Next week looks like it could actually be good and fun though.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I think they made Gundam on the decline in divers. They keep running into the same players online.
And despite being at the Gundam base in Tokyo, it's totally empty all the time. Maybe all the top players are just giving Riku praise because he's the first new player in a while.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, they finally realized that if they're gonna have stock MS they should at least do them in fun colors.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had two big problems with this episode.

The first is Riku's motivation. He wanted to be on the same level as the Champ. OK, great, but he got that almost immediately when he logged in. All the high level players immediately recognized him as a promising talent. And his informal place in the ranks of great players was recognized when he was invited to join the alliance. So when Tigerwolf says "I am the wall standing before you", no, he's not. The wall metaphor is used in sport anime to mean an opponent that must be defeated before our heroes can move on. Like, the team they have to beat to get into the Regionals, or the team they have to beat to get to the finals. There is a specific thing on the other side of the wall that is the goal the characters are moving towards. Riku is where he wanted to be, there is nothing on the other side of Tigerwolf. Except more friendly matches against his friends.

The second problem is the structure of Riku's Gunpla evolution.
1: Riku builds a Gunpla, but Sara tells him not to use Trans Am because his Gunpla can't withstand it.
2: Riku fights a pitched battle outside of GBN where his Gunpla can and does actually get trashed.
3: Riku rebuilds his Gunpla in a stronger form.
4: Riku fights a pitched battle where he finally unleashes his own special kind of Trans Am, but it isn't enough because his Gunpla can't withstand it.
Why the gently caress aren't steps 2 and 4 the same battle? That would make so much more sense and flow so much better as a story. But now he's already rebuilt his Gundam and we know he's not going to pull out a fresh new Gunpla because why would he since it got trashed in the consequence free GBN. So next episode he's gonna be "working on it" and the episode after that we will be told through dialogue that he's made it stronger in some completely vague way. It's like they're actively trying to make it hard to care about Riku

another issue is that they did a crowd shot showing off the cast from a much, much more interesting and better show

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Beating wolftiger is still wallish to Riku in that Riku hasn't beaten a GBN ace yet. And that's definitely a stepping stone to champ. A big loving issue is the team game literally sidelines all but the blank slate. We are 18? Episodes in. And have had three legitimate 5v5 battles. Galbaldy Rebake and Momokapool are guest appearances instead of actual castmates. That 10v10 preview has got to be the biggest Zam lie in the history of Gundam.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
And according to that score board, Ogre is better than Tigerwolf or the fox guy.

Edit: Patrick was in a (poorly drawn) GNX IV in original GNX colours, looked pretty cool. Might repaint mine like that.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 7, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'd still have an Exia Avalanche based Gunpla.

I love that variant too much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gridlocked posted:

I'd still have an Exia Avalanche based Gunpla.

I love that variant too much.

I just want an Exia with dual switch-blades :sigh:.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just want an Exia with dual switch-blades :sigh:.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is GBD still bad?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Is GBD still bad?

It's less bad but still kinda bad.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Is GBD still bad?

Pretty much. It's reached the level of better than it's own first half but it's still fairly lacking overall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PMush Perfect posted:

Is GBD still bad?

It's extremely forgettable. It's worth a watch if you're super bored but I wouldn't go out of your way.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It's uninteresting, which in entertainment value terms is worse than bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

It's uninteresting, which in entertainment value terms is worse than bad.

I'd say that it's both bad and uninteresting, which is worse still.

Riku is such a nothing of a character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say that it's both bad and uninteresting, which is worse still.

Riku is such a nothing of a character.

I'd say he's still better than Sekai, simply because he's actually self-motivated to play GBN instead of just doing as everyone tells him (and builds his gunpla for him and...). There's a difference between an audience surrogate and a creator's darling pet of a character. It's not much of one, but it is one.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Sekai is more of a stock shonen protagonist than Riku but that isn't saying a lot, they both are as cookie-cutter as they come. Just put the yugioh guy in there to mix things up a bit.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say he's still better than Sekai, simply because he's actually self-motivated to play GBN instead of just doing as everyone tells him (and builds his gunpla for him and...). There's a difference between an audience surrogate and a creator's darling pet of a character. It's not much of one, but it is one.

It's a rough toss up between Sekai and Riku for me, but at least when it comes to the supporting cast and plots I've preferred Try to BD so far.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Potsticker posted:

It's a rough toss up between Sekai and Riku for me, but at least when it comes to the supporting cast and plots I've preferred Try to BD so far.

I'd say the problem isn't with the supporting cast in BD as much how they're completely wasted. There's lots of interesting characters who deserve much more screen time than they get, but instead they're rolled on set to say how cool and interesting Riku is before being rolled away again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RillAkBea posted:

I'd say the problem isn't with the supporting cast in BD as much how they're completely wasted. There's lots of interesting characters who deserve much more screen time than they get, but instead they're rolled on set to say how cool and interesting Riku is before being rolled away again.

The difference is that BD has good side characters who don't get the focus they should, but BFT had side characters with potential that was destroyed by Sekai. Fumina could've been great as a main character, and Yukma could've been good as her love interest. Minato could've been fantastic as a main character, and Gyanko could've been great as his love interest. But all of that potential was ignored in favor of Sekai

Meanwhile, Momoka, Aya, Magee, and Rommel are good characters, just wasted in a dull show with a bland lead

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I think you guys are being a little generous with who you call a character. I like Rommel as a concept(ferret, tactician, possible tires the Nazi party?) But as a character he never showed anything consistent that isn't challenged in another ep. The most I could pin on him is semi cautious and likes to set traps.

Momo is cool as an active and hyper cheery person who was passionate about soccer until she isn't.

I get that a much better show would have given them more focus and a more fleshed out character. But man Yuki and that fat ogre had a whole episode to grow and what did they come away with? "I'll get stronger so I can fanboy on my idol more".

Fumina and glasses kid had stuff to work with. Even that lovely pervert started out as gloating dick with an inferiority complex with motivation to beat glasses. Meanwhile divers fox and wolf haven't said a word about where they came from or where they wanna go. It's all 'love your toys' and 'mmo physics are abusable'.

If only more side characters could get the Fellini treatment.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Guy Goodbody posted:

Minato could've been fantastic as a main character, and Gyanko could've been great as his love interest.

I can't believe you'd ignore her actual love interest Simon, who also had a really cool story potential. Might've been the best actually.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuroyama posted:

I can't believe you'd ignore her actual love interest Simon, who also had a really cool story potential. Might've been the best actually.

That's who I meant, I got him and Minato's names mixed up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cool, thanks. I'll probably just rewatch Fighters, and see some of the cool fights on YouTube sooner or later. Unsubbing now, bye thread!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll probably just rewatch Fighters, and see some of the cool fights on YouTube sooner or later. Unsubbing now, bye thread!

That assumes there'll be cool fights.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11 posted:

That assumes there'll be cool fights.

That capture the flag one was pretty good

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Sigh.

They just took the possibility of Namami and Magee being the same person away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sigh.

They just took the possibility of Namami and Magee being the same person away.

It's been pretty obvious for quite a while.

edit: That episode was fun as hell :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 14, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
is it just me or are Emilia and Rose a lot more interesting than any of the characters in the main cast?

Bring back the Gundam Precure parody from Try Fighters, only use those two this time

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
deep cut

https://twitter.com/Gny001/status/1029321897450717184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Ok, one joke that had me smile after another, as well as the odd moment of disappointment. (Don't show the black Zeydra-Cannon to me, Bandai. You just make me remember it doesn't have a kit!)

So up till now I'd taken Nanami's first episode misnaming of the 00 as her playing around for the sake of mr know-it-all-and-likes-to-show-it. (Seriously, unless the cast are literally the only customers in this multi-floor store, she probably sells more than one 00 a day and should know how it's pronounced if only because someone would have said "I'd like to buy this double-oh, please". It's a suit its whole series is named after.)
But I guess it's official now. Nanami, much like Sei's mother in the first series, sells gunpla, sells tools for building said gunpla, supervises customers at her store's build-corner, literally arranged a job related to gunpla-building for her brother, yet doesn't know the basics of building....somehow. That honestly bothers me more than it should even if it led to the joke of the two over-achievers forgetting about the race and started educating instead.

The race is one of those things that only work when you forget it is a game. (Didn't Wolf literally point out that stamina is NOT a thing here?) I was also surprised that the focus wasn't on Momo/Sarah, but instead on two side-characters of all things with some Sarah/Nanami on the side. But hey, those two try-hards were the source of some good laughs so I'm not complaining. The Gunpla-Sumo was my favourite. Especially the punchline with a Zeong and some other thing, two models whose 'feet' are bigger than their torso for maximum stability.

This week's merchandise were Nanami the gunpla and the Machine-rider bike, if I remember the name right. The tiny bike makes more sense now that it's been shown to be a human-scale moped. But its kit-version appears to be smaller than it was in the show and it doesn't work well on the preview-pictures I've seen. There's also the arm plugging into the riding gunpla's back because they can't sit on the seat properly, which makes me laugh. So all in all, good concept but comes just short in execution.

At the very end of the episode two boxes were shown. A Zakrello and an SD Zakrello with friend, I think. I can't imagine anything good-looking to come out of a mashup of all that but it sounds insane enough that I have to see it and so I hope this wasn't just some tease that will be dropped and never mentioned again.

• Locked thread