Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
oh my god apparently I saved all the double health bar bosses for last somehow because I just found Archdragon Peak with the stupid King of the Storm. between that, the Demon Prince, and apparently one in Ariandel, which I haven't finished yet either, maybe I just need to take a break for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
King of the Storm / Nameless King is amazing. I can see the perspective that you shouldn't have to redo phase 1 every time but I really enjoy the phase so I don't mind at all.

On the other hand...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cinder maybe, the other two are just over-long fights, period.

Mind you, I like Demon Prince overall, including the phase shift. It's just that like everything else in Ringed City it has too much HP.

...yeah Friede should've been split into two fights: phase 1/2 as one fight and then Blackflame Friede as another. Then you still have the challenge of learning the first two phases well enough to beat them but you don't have to get them near-perfect so that you have enough Estus left to learn Blackflame Friede, who is still a really hard boss on her own. I'm sure I've posted my victory video over Friede before but this took like 3 hours to get the first two phases that consistent and I still basically scraped through Blackflame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maske6nrMBE

anyway I'm probably gonna end up trying to do DLC on SL1 after I finish any% :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPxeIvuhRb0

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
so I remember from way back when that Rosaria offers a chance for respeccing. how does that work? like do I just get to keep my levels but start from my initial stats and reassign them, or does she just take me back to my starting stats and I have to remember regrind out those levels?

basically, I've been rolling physical this whole game, but is it possible to just easily switch to magic for one fight and then switch back (I know the limit is five per NG cycle)?

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Is anybody around that could drop me a splitleaf greatsword? On pc

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

morallyobjected posted:

does she just take me back to my starting stats and I have to remember regrind out those levels?

God no, that would effectively end the game for most people at that point.

You just allocate your stat points again in a convenient menu. 5 resets max or you will turn into a man grub (Not really, but so they say)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

God no, that would effectively end the game for most people at that point.

You just allocate your stat points again in a convenient menu. 5 resets max or you will turn into a man grub (Not really, but so they say)

Pro-tip: if you reallocate, confirm, and then ALT-F4 on the menu (the "offer tongue/reallocate stats/change appearance" main menu for Rosaria), it'll reallocate your stats without consuming one of your 5 uses. I dunno why it only increments the rebirth counter when you leave the dialogue entirely, but it lets you get infinite respecs per playthrough.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Pro-tip: if you reallocate, confirm, and then ALT-F4 on the menu (the "offer tongue/reallocate stats/change appearance" main menu for Rosaria), it'll reallocate your stats without consuming one of your 5 uses. I dunno why it only increments the rebirth counter when you leave the dialogue entirely, but it lets you get infinite respecs per playthrough.

It's a glitch/exploit that From never fixed. I'm pleased that they didn't.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Just make sure you got the cat ring off sirrus before doing anything with rosaria.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
that ship has already sailed, but I'm not going for 100% anyway. I just want to kill all the bosses and I probably won't play it again after (to be fair, I said this about Bloodborne, but that game also seems a little more streamlined, and you can use hacked chalice dungeons for some fun). I think I have about five left, I'm guessing. I just got to The Ringed City, I haven't done any of Ariandel yet, and I need to kill the Nameless King

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Are there any axes/greataxes that are held on the shoulder like great swords? If so, are any of them any good?

I just think it looks cool

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Greataxe and Yhorm's do and are really good.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is the Spear of the Church supposed to be ridiculously easy? I killed a giant summoner guy, I killed a human NPC, and a phantom that all died in like one round of slashes, and boom: 80000 souls

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The point of that encounter is that, normally, another player will be summoned in with boosted stats and play the role of the boss. If you're offline or the game just can't find anyone to summon it defaults to making you fight an npc, who will obviously be easy to beat.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
mmkay, I guess I just got lucky (or unlucky, I suppose, depending on your perspective).

also I just finished Lapp's quest and gently caress Patches

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I've never actually fought Halflight but from streams and stuff he looks insanely easy, especially in comparison to a good PvP matchup.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I've never actually fought Halflight but from streams and stuff he looks insanely easy, especially in comparison to a good PvP matchup.

It was weird--I think the PVP person they summoned for me was afk or something because he just stood there while I killed the NPC and him.

in other news, I just killed Gael on like my second or third attempt but it never felt too easy. I was constantly on my guard and timing my dodges after figuring out his attack patterns and it came pretty close to the wire (I had 2 estus left at the end), so it was a cool end-DLC boss. now I just need to kill that loving dragon at the bottom of the lake.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

mmkay, I guess I just got lucky (or unlucky, I suppose, depending on your perspective).
Heck, you're not even supposed to fight the giant, he dies automatically after summoning the other player!

morallyobjected posted:

also I just finished Lapp's quest and gently caress Patches

...and a fine dark soul, to you! :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halflight is only "hard" due to the hyper armor he gets.

Your Computer posted:

Heck, you're not even supposed to fight the giant, he dies automatically after summoning the other player!

what

what

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it ever possible to make magic worthwhile without dumping loads of stats into INT/FTH? I miss the days of convenient support magic from the decent low-level/fixed catalysts of previous games, but it seems like it's all or nothing in DS3. I thought maybe I could get away with a low INT Luck build, but of course weapon buffs don't work with the Man-Grub staff :what:
It just doesn't seem like there are any buffs or spells that can't be ignored or replicated with consumables.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

It was weird--I think the PVP person they summoned for me was afk or something because he just stood there while I killed the NPC and him.

in other news, I just killed Gael on like my second or third attempt but it never felt too easy. I was constantly on my guard and timing my dodges after figuring out his attack patterns and it came pretty close to the wire (I had 2 estus left at the end), so it was a cool end-DLC boss. now I just need to kill that loving dragon at the bottom of the lake.

Very possible they were afk. It can be easy to forget that you have an auto-summon covenant on, particularly Spears since it's not that active.

Have fun with Midir! Some people hate him but he's one of my favorite bosses. The setting and soundtrack are so loving good and I love his visual design.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is it ever possible to make magic worthwhile without dumping loads of stats into INT/FTH? I miss the days of convenient support magic from the decent low-level/fixed catalysts of previous games, but it seems like it's all or nothing in DS3. I thought maybe I could get away with a low INT Luck build, but of course weapon buffs don't work with the Man-Grub staff :what:
It just doesn't seem like there are any buffs or spells that can't be ignored or replicated with consumables.

Not really, no

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
why does Shira disappear after you kill Gael leaving the dragon for last was a terrible mistake

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

why does Shira disappear after you kill Gael leaving the dragon for last was a terrible mistake

Leaving the dragon for last is indeed a terrible mistake (Gael is the true final boss) but the reason she disappears is because she specifically told you to keep away from the slumbering princess and you dun went and did the thing. You'll find her in the post-apocalyptic wasteland ashland (though I'm not sure if you can after you've already defeated Gael?) where she'll curse you for betraying her.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

You can find her after Gael.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

You can find her after Gael.

she isn't available as a summon for Midir, and I was looking forward to using her as a distraction

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2018

Octo1
May 7, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

she isn't available as a summon for Midir, and I was looking forward to using get as a distraction

Having someone distracting Midir is the wrong way to do that fight.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Octo1 posted:

Having someone distracting Midir is the wrong way to do that fight.

I've already done it the right way plenty of times and died so I was going to try switching it up some

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

morallyobjected posted:

I've already done it the right way plenty of times and died so I was going to try switching it up some

Bring *alot* of lightning projectiles and group heals

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

morallyobjected posted:

she isn't available as a summon for Midir, and I was looking forward to using her as a distraction

Oh, yeah, she gets pissed that you did the thing she told you not to do! So she won't help anymore.

I was more talking about this, I should have quoted, my bad:

Your Computer posted:

You'll find her in the post-apocalyptic wasteland ashland (though I'm not sure if you can after you've already defeated Gael?) where she'll curse you for betraying her.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Boy howdy but Friede must feel like such an idiot for not bringing Ariandel his flail.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Man, Ringed City is hard

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
like every other part of this game, my biggest struggles were when I was trying to deal with one enemy only to see that three more had decided to join in on the fun. then I just hightailed it away until I could find a fire or a shortcut. I have no shame or pride about making it through, but it was fun to respec with magic briefly to kill everything with the crystal soul spear

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

morallyobjected posted:

The extra health Midir gets isn't even close to worth it if you're going to bring in an NPC. Beyond that, there is even a glitch that sometimes Shira just dies trying to follow you into the pit.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is there a mod out there for making covenant drops something reasonable

like 100%

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's called cheatengine

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Relin posted:

like 100%

yeah it's called "doing the drat covenant"

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Relin posted:

like 100%

Yeah, it’s a crazy mod called PvP.

I’ll never understand people who would rather grind out dozens of items with drop rates under 5% than learn to play PvP even halfway decently. The latter option takes less time and is infinitely more fun.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah, it’s a crazy mod called PvP.

I’ll never understand people who would rather grind out dozens of items with drop rates under 5% than learn to play PvP even halfway decently. The latter option takes less time and is infinitely more fun.

To be fair, it's not great fun to wait around for a darkmoon summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I didn’t have too much trouble with getting summoned. If you slap on Blue Sentinels early and keep it on whenever you’re not doing other covenants then you should get a decent amount of summons. Worst case just combine waiting around for a summon with doing laundry or something