Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

David D. Davidson posted:

So let's just get this somewhat back on track here?
Dream casting?
Jim Carrey as Plastic Man.

Jim Carrey is old, you old person.

Ben Schwartz from Parks and Rec as Plastic Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’ve always had Bruce Campell’s voice in my head, but I guess old and fat Eel doesn’t work

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Retro Futurist posted:

I’ve always had Bruce Campell’s voice in my head, but I guess old and fat Eel doesn’t work

I think of Plastic Man's voice as being a little bit higher, more traditionally wacky. Although, I kinda feel like younger Bruce Campbell would have made a decent Booster Gold. But then who would be a good Beetle to go with him?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He always had that morning radio DJ voice in my head.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Booster Gold is a dumb gloryhound jock who has the look of a superhero, but not the heart. Blue Beetle has the heart of a hero, but struggles with his weight and self-esteem.

Grab Lord and Miller, call Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill and tell them to remake 21 Jump Street but as superheroes. The after credits could be them greenscreened into the background of all the DCEU fight scenes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't want to see a live action plastic man. There'd be so much CG involved for him to do anything interesting in any given scene that you might as well just stick to animation. I don't think having ugly "realistically shaded" plastic man contorting around with some actor's face in the middle of the big CG mess would be something I or anyone else would enjoy looking at.

We need to get out of the mindset that a live action film is the ultimate goal of adapting any given material. Some stuff works better as a cartoon or as like, a book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't want to see a live action plastic man. There'd be so much CG involved for him to do anything interesting in any given scene that you might as well just stick to animation. I don't think having ugly "realistically shaded" plastic man contorting around with some actor's face in the middle of the big CG mess would be something I or anyone else would enjoy looking at.

We need to get out of the mindset that a live action film is the ultimate goal of adapting any given material. Some stuff works better as a cartoon or as like, a book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLIuRluy10I&t=58s

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

He talks like Dennis Miller

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

poly and open-minded posted:

He talks like Dennis Miller

Pre or Post breakdown?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

Especially since The Incredibles 2 was already a Plastic Woman movie

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I like Elongated Man more than Plastic Man, mostly because of his JLI affiliation and the fact that he's a detective on top of being stretchy. I think Hartley Sawyer did a good job playing him this past season on The Flash. I actually gave up on the show but made sure to at least watch the episodes he was in. He did play him like a wacky, '90s-style Jim Carrey (and looks like him too), but he imbued him with a lot of heart.

One actor I think would be good playing a big screen version of either is Bill Hader. He has an extremely expressive face, he's hilarious, he can do a ridiculous amount of accents and impressions, and he definitely has a comfort zone playing a 1930s/'40s/'50s kind of guy, from all the "old Hollywood" movie stars, newsmen, and game show hosts he played on SNL.

My casting choices for Blue Beetle and Booster Gold remain Adam Scott and Joel McHale, even though I realize McHale is too old now.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Adam Scott Aukerman for Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Fill the soundtrack with U2 and REM.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

[...]One actor I think would be good playing a big screen version of [Plastic Man] is Bill Hader. [...] My casting choices for Blue Beetle and Booster Gold remain Adam Scott and Joel McHale, even though I realize McHale is too old now.

Make sure that Billy West voices Skeets and you have my butt in the seat.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My casting choices for Blue Beetle and Booster Gold remain Adam Scott and Joel McHale, even though I realize McHale is too old now.

Not if they start with Formerly Known As, which is what I think they should do anyway.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, lot of the amazing stretchy action in Incredibles 2 would have been downright grotesque if it was photorealistic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Plastic Man in a live action movie would basically be The Mask or Roger Rabbit. Which is hilarious to think of in a movie like Justice League.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 13, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Superheroes? On paper? Don't talk crazy, man!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

Plastic Man in a live action movie would basically be The Mask Roger Rabbit. Which is hilarious to think of in a movie like Justice League.

That'd be the way to do it right, but you know they'd never go that stylized.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, lot of the amazing stretchy action in Incredibles 2 would have been downright grotesque if it was photorealistic.

Dibny on the CW basically had everyone cringing when he morphed most of the time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Do you guys think the 1989 Batman film holds up better than the first Raimi Spider-Man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Do you guys think the 1989 Batman film holds up better than the first Raimi Spider-Man?

Totes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If there's one thing that the 1989 Batman communicates very clearly, it's that both Batman and the Joker are absolutely insane. It's not a perfect movie but because it understands its main characters, it holds up remarkably well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ashpanash posted:

If there's one thing that the 1989 Batman communicates very clearly, it's that both Batman and the Joker are absolutely insane. It's not a perfect movie but because it understands its main characters, it holds up remarkably well.

The first Spider-man is only held up by Willem Dafoe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now now I'm sure many people remember the upside down kiss scene intimately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rhyno posted:

The first Spider-man is only held up by Willem Dafoe.

No, he's held up by webs and microscopic hairs on his skin. Have you even seen it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe Batman is a better movie, but I’d rather watch Spider-Man. Heck that goes for all film. If it’s between any other director and a Sam Raimi joint, gonna watch a Raimi:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

No, he's held up by webs and microscopic hairs on his skin. Have you even seen it?

You're a terrible person.

Anyways, SM2 is the superior Raimi Spider-man film and has aged slightly better. SM1 has the distinction of starring a Spider-man who never manages to deliver a humorous quip. There's a single scene where he manages the right delivery but it's a gay joke so there we go.It's just terrible and gets worse every time I see it. Does anyone even remember Macey Gray at this point? Or care to?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah she was in Spider-Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah she was in Spider-Man.

No you're thinking of Jim Norton.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tobey Maguire was an OK Peter Parker but an awful Spider-Man

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

Tobey Maguire was an OK Peter Parker but an awful Spider-Man

I don't think he was a great Peter either. Peter's supposed to be a genius and Tobey never felt all that smart. Kind of dumb honestly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was very good. But I have never read a comic book that didn’t have Deadpool or Zim in it so I’m not comparing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SM2 is clearly the superior film because it has Donnell Rawlings from The Chappelle Show in a one line cameo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I watched SM2 first and was kinda bored by SM1 when I got to it.

Similarly with Batman, in fact. Batman Returns was my first exposure to Batman and boy that was wild. Still I think overall Batman is a more interesting film than the first Spiderman, which was very very predictable.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Macy Gray owns.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

You're a terrible person.

Anyways, SM2 is the superior Raimi Spider-man film and has aged slightly better. SM1 has the distinction of starring a Spider-man who never manages to deliver a humorous quip. There's a single scene where he manages the right delivery but it's a gay joke so there we go.It's just terrible and gets worse every time I see it. Does anyone even remember Macey Gray at this point? Or care to?

Even when that movie came out, that parade scene stuck out as a really awkward and obvious Sony mandate.

Also those bombs that vaporize everything but a person's bones. Why would Goblin use anything else when he has an "instant win" weapon like that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

Macy Gray owns.

Like what, a house in Jersey or something?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

SM1 has the distinction of starring a Spider-man who never manages to deliver a humorous quip. There's a single scene where he manages the right delivery but it's a gay joke so there we go.It's just terrible and gets worse every time I see it. Does anyone even remember Macey Gray at this point? Or care to?

No love for, "It's you who's out, Gobby! Out of your mind!" huh?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jamesman posted:

Also those bombs that vaporize everything but a person's bones. Why would Goblin use anything else when he has an "instant win" weapon like that?

Each one cost a billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All the spidermans were bad... The latest one is ok

• Locked thread