Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al-Saqr posted:

wonderful.

Arabs and muslims have no friends. all are only interested in our death and oppression. all of our governments are colonial death machines. nobody is going to save us from our governments. millions of arabs are gonna have to die before a single free and fair election ever takes place.

lol isnt it funny how middle east despots are going to probably be the root cause of WW3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

wonderful.

Arabs and muslims have no friends. all are only interested in our death and oppression. all of our governments are colonial death machines. nobody is going to save us from our governments. millions of arabs are gonna have to die before a single free and fair election ever takes place.

I don't know which is worse.

The fact that this sounds like my internal monologue relative to me (which is so bad it's scary), or the fact that it sounds even remotely plausible for someone to say "everyone hates us" when us refers to, effectively, an entire region of the planet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: yeah, wrong thread. Phone posting means sometimes it spits out a post into the wrong place.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Hahahahaha the EM radiation sensitive lady has been walking around the whole time with a loving wireless mic and nobody noticed

because "electro-sensitivity" is loving bullshit

Uh wrong thread?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

lol isnt it funny how middle east despots are going to probably be the root cause of WW3

I really really hope a disasterous major regional war happens, it may be the only chance to finally kill off these fascist governments once and for all. If the only route to destroy the russian czar was WW1, then maybe the only route to kill off all the arab regimes would be a giant war that they'd loving get smashed in.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The only way I see this happening is if the US tries to annex all of the Mideast's oil fields + Venezuela's.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Spacewolf posted:

I don't know which is worse.

The fact that this sounds like my internal monologue relative to me (which is so bad it's scary), or the fact that it sounds even remotely plausible for someone to say "everyone hates us" when us refers to, effectively, an entire region of the planet.

Like most things in life, if you aren't actively looking out for yourself, no one else will be.

Al-Saqr posted:

I really really hope a disasterous major regional war happens, it may be the only chance to finally kill off these fascist governments once and for all. If the only route to destroy the russian czar was WW1, then maybe the only route to kill off all the arab regimes would be a giant war that they'd loving get smashed in.

Yeah idk at this point what even breaks the stranglehold of military dictatorships. The gap in military technology now between protesters and armies has never been wider and it's effectively guys with sticks versus guys with tanks and drones and jets and helicopters with IR and the ability to intercept every radio/cell communication.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 11, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The curse of the Middle East is that it has a lot of petroleum. The excites the greed of foreign powers, and corrupt dictatorships are the most convenient form of regime for them to exploit these resources with minimum investment and maximum profit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

The curse of the Middle East is that it has a lot of petroleum. The excites the greed of foreign powers, and corrupt dictatorships are the most convenient form of regime for them to exploit these resources with minimum investment and maximum profit.

Beyond that, global warming is going to completely gently caress the Middle East and Northern Africa. IMO there's not much long term hope for much of the region period, and my advice to anyone who can would be to gtfo before the prospect of climate refugees empower nativists in more fortunate parts of the world to restrict immigration even more.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Al-Saqr posted:

You need communism to kill the czar, just like you need communist insurgency to kill fascists. Liberals just can't cut it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Count Roland posted:

Uh wrong thread?

Correct-a-mundo. Sorry about that, I edited it to avoid a detail some time down the line.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

You need communism to kill the czar, just like you need communist insurgency to kill fascists. Liberals just can't cut it.

libs took the czar down

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Beyond that, global warming is going to completely gently caress the Middle East and Northern Africa. IMO there's not much long term hope for much of the region period, and my advice to anyone who can would be to gtfo before the prospect of climate refugees empower nativists in more fortunate parts of the world to restrict immigration even more.

They still have time to invest in large amounts of desalinization plants powered by nuclear (possibly using thorium). The goal would be to not have to rely on food imports once the oil runs out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HorrificExistence posted:

libs took the czar down

It took communists to murder him and take credit for the whole transition, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They don't need nuclear power, they can build large scale, concentrated solar stills to get fresh distilled water for free.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It took communists to murder him and take credit for the whole transition, though.

regicide isn't murder

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

regicide isn't murder

He had already abdicated. :shrug:

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He had already abdicated. :shrug:

Much better to keep him around as a potential pretender with the backing of every state left standing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
nm, no longer contributing to this derail.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 12, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

qkkl posted:

They still have time to invest in large amounts of desalinization plants powered by nuclear (possibly using thorium). The goal would be to not have to rely on food imports once the oil runs out.

Heat alone is going to be a problem for livability in a lot of areas later in the century, and presumably for a lot of crops too, even aside from drought. Drought already seems to be contributing to larger dust storms though.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Heat alone is going to be a problem for livability in a lot of areas later in the century, and presumably for a lot of crops too, even aside from drought. Drought already seems to be contributing to larger dust storms though.

I was under the impression that global warming wasn't actually going to warm up the Earth too much, just by a few degrees, but even a small increase in temperature would have big ecological effects.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Much better to keep him around as a potential pretender with the backing of every state left standing.

I understand why they did it, but it would have been great propaganda to have a citizen Romanov just leading a normal life in the USSR, especially as the old bolsheviks were anti-death penalty.

it's probably better for russia now that he has been killed however,

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Turkey is opening turkish post boxes in syria. What the hell happens when turkey literally annexes parts of iraq and syria

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

HorrificExistence posted:

I understand why they did it, but it would have been great propaganda to have a citizen Romanov just leading a normal life in the USSR, especially as the old bolsheviks were anti-death penalty.

it's probably better for russia now that he has been killed however,

Eh, that's basically what the Chinese did with the last Qing emperor, and you don't see too many restorationists popping up over there.

Of course, it probably helps that the gap between the overthrow of the monarchy and the Communist revolution in China was ~40 years and not 8 months.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LeoMarr posted:

Turkey is opening turkish post boxes in syria. What the hell happens when turkey literally annexes parts of iraq and syria

Nothing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

qkkl posted:

I was under the impression that global warming wasn't actually going to warm up the Earth too much, just by a few degrees, but even a small increase in temperature would have big ecological effects.

"Just a few degrees" is enough to push most of the region past 35C wet bulb temperature (lethal) during heatwaves.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Conspiratiorist posted:

"Just a few degrees" is enough to push most of the region past 35C wet bulb temperature (lethal) during heatwaves.

If it gets too hot for humans air conditioning can be used. If it gets too hot for crops it becomes a much bigger problem. Luckily there are crops that can withstand temperatures that it is believed global warming wont reach.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah but see where there wasn't a revolution ww1 just created fascists and were there was one it created Stalinists. I really don't think a major conflict will improve your neighborhood, sadly.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

qkkl posted:

The part you are missing is on average . ME will suffer above average warming, and thus way worse extremes than today. People will probably not be able to work outside during the worst heatwaves, and your average AC will not work very well at those temperatures, if at all.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

It's really depressing to see all these constant articles about how all the tens of thousands of Syrians who disappeared were actually murdered in government death camps and now their families are finally being notified. Also how Assad's "to kill" list has 1.5 million name on it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Counterpoint
https://twitter.com/EHSANI22/status/1028260443981316098

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

qkkl posted:

During the ice age the Earth was four degrees colder. The 2 degree warmer goal is going to cause a lot of poo poo, if its even stops there.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Nothing as long as they remain a loyal US client state. The Sauds just butchered schoolchildren and kidnap other countries' heads of state and no one gives a poo poo, not least the major news outlets apparently.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mila kunis posted:

Nothing as long as they remain a loyal US client state.

I don't think you've been paying attention to the news, then.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mila kunis posted:

Nothing as long as they remain a loyal US client state. The Sauds just butchered schoolchildren and kidnap other countries' heads of state and no one gives a poo poo, not least the major news outlets apparently.

The lira is down 20% in like 2 days

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think you've been paying attention to the news, then.

I'm aware of that, hence the qualifier.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

People say this a lot, but it really doesn't make any sense. Basra is literally in the high 40s every day all summer. 2 or 3 extra degrees to Cairo or Damascus or whatever is uncomfortable, but not deadly by any means, given that there are parts of the region that are already regularly 10°C warmer year round.

Crops OTOH are a huge issue. Also flooding coastal regions, etc. But if 'temperature direct effect on humans' was all that global warming was going to do, 2-3°C would be utterly trivial except in a tiny handful of places around the world. I mean, poo poo, that whole area near Basra/Ahvaz is averaging in the high 40s every day for 3 months of the year. If you go back 1500 years, it might have been 'only' in the low-to-mid-40s on average, but it's so absurdly much hotter than anywhere else in the world that's actually inhabited that it makes it hard for me to believe that Cairo turning into an average 42 in summer vs 38 is actually going to cause any direct crisis. Again you need to take into account humidity, which is why in Delhi the heat waves can be so much more deadly even though it never really gets all that hot, but even so it's mostly only old/sick people, or people doing stupid poo poo like working their asses off during the heat of the day, which no one (even super poor people) do in MENA. Also Basra can be humid as poo poo, as can Doha. What an absolute garbage place to live, it seems worse than most of Siberia.

Again, just talking about the direct heat on humans. Plants, fish, flooding, etc, are of course a huge issue.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 12, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The thing is that "a couple degree higher on average" doesn't mean it'll be uniformly +2° everywhere, everywhen. You'll have cooler temperatures at given time and place, and much higher temperatures at other times and places. What if the 2° global year-round average increase translates to +15° during the summer in the Middle East? Basra in the high 40°? Well, how about the low 60°, is it still no big deal then?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Saladman posted:

People say this a lot, but it really doesn't make any sense. Basra is literally in the high 40s every day all summer. 2 or 3 extra degrees to Cairo or Damascus or whatever is uncomfortable, but not deadly by any means, given that there are parts of the region that are already regularly 10°C warmer year round.

Do you know what wet-bulb temperature is? You acknowledged yourself that humidity is important, yet drop ambient temperatures at random throughout your post without any contextual link to the value that actually matters to determine human habitability.

Cat Mattress posted:

The thing is that "a couple degree higher on average" doesn't mean it'll be uniformly +2° everywhere, everywhen. You'll have cooler temperatures at given time and place, and much higher temperatures at other times and places. What if the 2° global year-round average increase translates to +15° during the summer in the Middle East? Basra in the high 40°? Well, how about the low 60°, is it still no big deal then?

That 2 to 15 is something of an exaggeration, but land temperatures are indeed expected to be several degrees higher per increase in average Earth temperature.

But strictly sticking to my point about survivable temperatures, northeast India, the Persian Gulf, the Red Sea, and the equatorial band of South America are expected to routinely suffer from downright lethal heatwaves* by the end of century, at the pace we're going. These are regions that are already on the edge of human habitability, which is why things getting just a little hotter will crush them - people will still be able to live there, of course, but think about the effects of humans being seasonally unable to survive there without air conditioning, where trying to bear the heat by sitting in the shade with a fan blowing on you will kill a healthy adult.

*a lethal heatwave being >35C wet-bulb temperature sustained over 6 hours

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In other news, Erdogan wrote an editorial in the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/opinion/turkey-erdogan-trump-crisis-sanctions.html

Here's the subtitle: Unilateral actions against Turkey by the United States will undermine American interests and force Turkey to look for other friends and allies.