Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's a clip from the dark knight.

Also man, that guy got dunked on over and over in his own thread. Savagely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Cat Herder spotted.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
TO Ben,
Thanks for
last night

<3 TV’s Frank

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
What the gently caress, they've been paying subscriptions for these vids?

quote:

The rewards aren't that great either, honestly. I'm the closest to canceling my sub than I've been in years.

Hell I looked at my bank statement and it said I've given them over $400 in just monthly sub cash... Wish I could have that money to buy a ship or something about now...

I assumed they were cutting back on content because presentations made by students wouldn't inspire confidence. Maybe that dumb cash is drying up a bit too though?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Arbitrary Coin posted:

.. What, when was this? Holy poo poo that's amazing

And of course simulating fluids in a spaceship hottub is going to be trivial! We have Navier Stokes so all you gotta do is plug n play! :shepspends:

... Jesus christ

:thurman::laugh::guinness::laugh::thurman:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Can we memory hole this piece of poo poo? Dude is one vile motherfucker and being reminded he exists distracts me from laughing at the bad video game

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018
I've realised right now, here it's 1pm and I've just finished the beef I had for lunch and am gonna have some icecream for dessert, but on the West Coast it must be something like 3am, right? Which means right now poor Chris is sitting alone at cig office, in a typing frenzy, fixing bits of code here & there, programming physics, etc.
Don't overdo it Chris!!! D :

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

Also man, that guy got dunked on over and over in his own thread. Savagely.

That's why he makes the threads. He's an attention whore and makes threads when bored.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm wondering how you'd model this the simplest way.

So you have the outer container. That's the glass. Inside you put a smaller cylinder, that's the liquid. While the glass can be rotated, the surface of the inner container always has the point in the same direction (i.e. point against gravity).

To make it look realistic, the dimensions (height and radius) of the liquid must be adjusted when the glass turns. As you rotate the glass, height is turned into radius, preserving the volume. Once the radius exceeds the boundaries of the glass, a spill animation occurs and the volume is emptied at some predetermined rate.

How complex is that for a designer and how much does that strain a game? How is this simplified?

Like what if you had an upward pointing 'sort of sprite' texture inside and it's position is just gently lowered the longer the glass is positioned at a certain angle, simulating decreasing volume?

Also I imagine that the industry has some sort of best practice for that if this is really an important problem. If your game has many cutscenes where people drink or throw buckets of water, you might not want to animate each of them individually but prefer some good-looking but generic animation. Probably some plug ins or libraries, right?

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 12, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

Make the glass opaque, and don’t animate the liquid. It’s not adding to the game and will be thrown away instantly, let alone noticed.

It’s bullshit, and time-wasting bullshit at that. Even better, they can’t actually simulate the loving glass for refractance, so you get a real uncanny valley liquid.

If anything, they should be working on lakes first, because you know, it’s part of the game.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

That's disappointing. Could a least be a brutal takedown or a credentials' acknowledged.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

How complex is that for a designer and how much does that strain a game? How is this simplified?

You have the right idea, but you are forgetting the part where you simulate the liquid rippling when the glass is rocked back and forth (similar to a vibrating drum membrane). It might take a few days for a programmer with a B.Sc/CS to implement it, it's not particularly complex maths. They probably aren't doing an actual simulation, and is just a fixed trigonometric equation which represent a single vibration mode. There's like a hundred or so vertices on that surface, so it shouldn't be a big computational strain. My impression is that somebody 'found' some extra time to bang this out, in order to impress the thumb and show initiative.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

You have the right idea, but you are forgetting the part where you simulate the liquid rippling when the glass is rocked back and forth (similar to a vibrating drum membrane). It might take a few days for a programmer with a B.Sc/CS to implement it, it's not particularly complex maths. They probably aren't doing an actual simulation, and is just a fixed trigonometric equation which represent a single vibration mode. There's like a hundred or so vertices on that surface, so it shouldn't be a big computational strain. My impression is that somebody 'found' some extra time to bang this out, in order to impress the thumb and show initiative.

I'm glad it's not just the artists who get to pad their portfolios with nifty bits of work that will never otherwise see the light of day

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It must be a drat demoralizing place to work. But at the same time most places are.

But all that work just thrown away...egads.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Funny that you post this. Because the vandull are nothing more than a low rent ripoff of the Yuuzhan Vong and their "living" tech.

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

DapperDon posted:

Funny that you post this. Because the vandull are nothing more than a low rent ripoff of the Yuuzhan Vong and their "living" tech.

That looks pretty stimpirical.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheSickeningTruth posted:

That looks pretty stimpirical.

But not Stimperical enough to trigger the lawsuit ballista in Nottingham.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

So you have the outer container. That's the glass. Inside you put a smaller cylinder, that's the liquid. While the glass can be rotated, the surface of the inner container always has the point in the same direction (i.e. point against gravity).

To make it look realistic, the dimensions (height and radius) of the liquid must be adjusted when the glass turns. As you rotate the glass, height is turned into radius, preserving the volume. Once the radius exceeds the boundaries of the glass, a spill animation occurs and the volume is emptied at some predetermined rate.

Like what if you had an upward pointing 'sort of sprite' texture inside and it's position is just gently lowered the longer the glass is positioned at a certain angle, simulating decreasing volume?

Also I imagine that the industry has some sort of best practice for that if this is really an important problem. If your game has many cutscenes where people drink or throw buckets of water, you might not want to animate each of them individually but prefer some good-looking but generic animation. Probably some plug ins or libraries, right?

The original medal of honor had oil drums. If you shot the top of it and made a hole , it would slowly empty out only to that hole

If you shot the bottom it would empty the entire drum out , you could test by shooting other holes at various heights and see the level of oil inside the drum dropping past each hole

Come on cig you were bested again long before half the developers were even out of diapers

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Holy poo poo, wut.

I know I'm looking for accurate whiskey cup fluid-simualtions in my loving space ship MMO. This is an amazing use of time and resources.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

I'm shocked they missed the chance to create procedurally generated vandul knives.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Arbitrary Coin posted:

This is an amazing use of time and resources.

Me every time I consider this thread

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Tokamak posted:

Future patch note:

Added, real liquid physics to glasses and jacuzzi
Disabled real liquid physics due to client crashes and sub 3fps game play, work around is to not use these functions at this time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cig had better step up their whale fracking

They didnt even land on this list , which while shocked me at first I realized they are still not even scratching the surface of all the ways to get more of Clifford's money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUNRl3kAATk

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Like clockwork, criticisms of CIG’s abysmal Marketing & PR track record prompts Agent Starloop to grab her sword and take up the defense:

ON “ANSWER THE CALL 2016”:

Starloop posted:

Answer the call = sign up. No one with half a brain thought S42 was coming out that year.

Go back and read the reddit posts. Plenty of the same complainers without any comprehension about this project.

The games not coming as far as you like? Nothing new here.

Starloop posted:

It's almost like you're not familiar with the scale and scope of this project.

The "give me now" crowd is suffering? CIG is building the game as fast as they can. We're a long way from finished and many will leave before it comes out. Crying won't change that.

As to the "bad press" just remember that games have a history of not being trasparent for the exact reasons highlighted here. Many can't take the wait and had/have silly expectations.

What I find hilarious is the same people bitching and moaning for years now.

Yes, yes — lecture people on their silly expectations — not everyone is so clear-eyed about the future as you are.

What a joke.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 12, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

G0RF posted:

Like clockwork, criticisms of CIG’s abysmal Marketing & PR track record prompts Agent Starloop to grab her sword and take up the defense:

Yes, yes — lecture people on their silly expectations — not everyone is so clear-eyed about the future as you are.

What a joke.

Yeah this niche, hard, non ptw, sandbox not for babbies game will meet wow's numbers at launch and peak 8 times wow's peak.

(100 million is between 1/2 and 1/3 of every person in the us over 18.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

G0RF posted:

What a joke.

There was a release date in all caps on the page.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

“That’s our Starloop!”

Oh man. :lol:

SoftNum posted:

Yeah this niche, hard, non ptw, sandbox not for babbies game will meet wow's numbers at launch and peak 8 times wow's peak.

(100 million is between 1/2 and 1/3 of every person in the us over 18.)

The game is objectively the best thing on the market. What we saw at gamescom (and what we're playing now, are more feature complete that most of the games on steam. It will be a billion dollar game. Trashing this game in this community will not be taken lightly. Telling CIG to hurry up is annoying and we should have a rule about that as the rules CIG have in place to avoid rushing out a product have been stated clearly since the beginning and most backers joined when building a great game over a rushed one was already a stated objective..

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Jesus, why does it have so many polys?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

You’re still here? How much is ea paying you? You sound toxic buddy. True citizens show their support especially through tough times.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Finally get to see Moma in action.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Was it a release date , or simply another one of the genius marketing moves by CIG with the goal to draw in the masses

Checkmate

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hmm what would be an efficient nonglitchy cli ent-only way to render fluid close enough to hydrostatic equilibrium to call it a day and move on to engineering solutions to more critical software challenges?

If only there were some pair of general assumptions I could make about fluids under gravitation in a vessel traveling slowly enough to be roughly in quasistatic, hydrostatic equilibrium frame to frame

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Blue On Blue posted:

Was it a release date , or simply another one of the genius marketing moves by CIG with the goal to draw in the masses

Checkmate

Ah poo poo, yeah I forgot that it is ethical to draw in the masses though any means necessary so long as you're totally in the right.

That's weird, there's an awful lot of Great Awakening overlap on r/sc....

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Keeping tabs on the Doobie thread and this classic was just posted

Reminder underneath the hot dog is a space ship jpeg. And they thought this would be a good idea to show for some reason

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Over the most recent 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has overwhelmed four systems, which it has joined into one starzone, Stimsis.

There is no free talk in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illicit without experiencing anguishing medicinal certification systems, in which veins are segregated without torment safe, worked all things considered by machines. The manner by which they work claim to be the most hygenic and solid way that could be open, yet these machines a great part of the time rub against torment focuses, making mind blowing blueprints of anguish patients. The heart is then expelled from the body and put into a glass crushing machine. Unmistakable vitality focuses are additionally destroyed and supplanted with hazardous transplants. After the troublesome, 52 hour restorative method, patients will then need to utilize a consolidated bearing device, which draws anguishing resistors into the body at general between times. The devastation they have caused is so unpleasant, the misfortune would solidify in a focused on position. They would then overlay a while later.

Sexual artificiality in any capacity inside the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is totally denied, and anybody recognized notwithstanding achieving their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the culpable party was a female, they would then have a razor embedded into their ovaries. They would arrange a blue course of action into the womb until the point that the stitchings burst. Transgressors would in like way be compelled to display their worked areas out in the open, and they would dependably bug and punch them to a pound, without expecting to.

Something other than what's expected, accountable social occasions would be tazed with the most exceedingly shocking sort of force in the exact locale, causing so much anguish, the misfortune would holler and whip in excitement. The trouble would in like way triple each second, yet no end would be obtained. This is in addition utilized as a bit of battle against foe units, which is the reason all UEE powers must wear the refreshed suit to dissuade this impact.

Notwithstanding, enertainment is also damaged in UEE grounds. Wearing occasions end with the losing pack being adjusted into a processor and pulverized on live TV, sessions end with the failure having their hands expelled without anasthesia, flight races would end with the washouts having their arms and legs cleared, by then being embedded with frenzy, for distraction. Individuals are likewise constrained into these occasions, by experiencing a troublesome 127 hour strategy which consolidates tweaking the muscles so they won't look at cerebrum orders, and after that having an alarming pharmaceutical permeated which additionally causes diversion if the player isn't wearing. This is just for redirection, and anybody not observing any of it amidst wearing conditions and cheering for the triumphant social affair, they will be limited into galactic camps.

Snuff films are in like way passed on, and on-screen characters are really killed only for distraction. Stealth droids likewise manage these constrained performing masters into carrying on conclusively as the primary dreams, else they will be censured by being set into a macerator and having their execution made into the film. Any film that does not highlight somebody being butchered will be singed and the whole gathering behind it will be executed in the most difficult to miss way conceivable - vivisection.

All executions are bestowed, and any individual who misses even a millisecond, even by glinting, will be executed. All nationals must boo to the individual being executed, and the family is amassed to be blended with eternators, which cause torment never-endingly, making them foul yet feeling the torment ten times each millisecond. They can't go out, in any case they will feel like it for unlimited quality.

Triumphs by this Stimpire end in the planet being wrecked, and every single one of the subjects being executed nearly as their local people give off an impression of being. The planet is then crushed and all pieces of it are cleared, and any recollections of it will be demolished instantly from consistent characters. Individuals who are in addition butchered are likewise deleted from recollections, and all recollections of them, including toys and pictures, are crushed.

Detainees experience 40,000 broad stretches of consistent and unending work, and anybody not agreeing is condemned to the eternator blend. All detainees embedded with eternators are set into compartments and incited into far space, by then the room is shut tight to guarantee most ludicrous hysteria. Two or three detainees are in like way subjected to the evacuation of blood, the lungs, the liver, the privates, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the implantation of weight. Detainees condemned to weight chambers are tied down until the moment that the minute that they are stretched out to an unusual state. The decompression is then ceased to ensure they are broadened and gawky.

Young people envisioned on the fourteenth of July are subjected to the clearing of their skeleton and an embed of a silver fluid to supplant it. The anxious sysem is in like way permeated in different parts to guarantee it is five times more delicate than the average.

Eateries in like way are requested to serve essential meat, and anybody going to must surrender themself to be cooked into a difficult to miss dinner. They are cooked alive, experiencing uncommon wretchedness, and are then subjected to current processors and blenders. The Stimpire plans no under 1 million local people to be dispatched each day, as they are nervous the majority may topple them. Regardless, just a lone planet is directed to, and the rest are constrained from eating, drinking, talking, utilizing headway, achieving anybody, wearing unapproved bits of apparel, achieving structures, or strolling a centimeter out of designated courses. Essential implementers are on each planet, and they are worked with the target that they are 40 times more noteworthy than the 300 quadrillion individuals. No under 7 billion kick the bucket typically under this run the show.

Musings are correspondingly plot, and any individual who does not figure anything to adoring the Stimpire with more than their abilities will be condemned to a jail. Detainees who are reprimanded for this infringement will meet their biggest dread, just to have it enhanced so they will turn crazy as they envision it conclusively as they fear it. They by then experience a troublesome extraction everything considered, to be supplanted by a dangerous substance which causes endless disturbance. The dull substance keeps the subject growing reliably, close to they will never pass on. Detainees repulsed along these lines can't be returned, paying little regard to different endeavors, and they will never be able to be engineered.

The sickening substances have been uncovered just today, and invigilation clusters are as of recently investigating the surenesses without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening area.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Keeping tabs on the Doobie thread and this classic was just posted

Reminder underneath the hot dog is a space ship jpeg. And they thought this would be a good idea to show for some reason

Ramps, one of the great pve encounters alongside doors.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello

quote:

Regarding why many ex-employees don't speak out on record

Forget that. It's not about honor or respecting your former employers. You can and will get blacklisted from almost everywhere. Every games company is doing lovely, stupid stuff. Take me and the wonderful, magical world of working for Foundry 42 (Star Citizen). I can come out today with a Facebook or Twitter post detailing every stupid and inept decision made by management while I worked there...which wasn't very long, by the way. I could get my real name behind it, post details and even email correspondence. Hard evidence. What exactly would than do? Defenders and doubters would instantly attack me, send death threats because of my sexual orientation and gender, call me a Derek Smart collaborator, Something Awful Goon or Elite: Dangerous supporter. The haters chalk it up to yet another departure that they've ready known about and continue to shitpost without missing a beat.

All it does is hurt my job prospects, my life. Chris plays the bleeding heart pretty well but don't think for a second he's your friend or buddy. He's willing to shove you into oncoming traffic as much as anyone else there. It's a completely toxic environment. One of my first days there, I asked "Is this normal?" The response: "Life is pain, highness," didn't exactly fill me with the fuzzies.

That's the thing: this is normal across almost every single place in this bullshit industry. It's a boys club and you better be onboard working long hours, being belittled and humiliated and being singled out because you dared asked a question that brought the failing of management front and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

goddamn am i happy i stopped my gaming career aspirations after trying game testing at a microsoft contractor back in high school

i got fired for posting halo 2 secrets i think on here actually lol