Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I saw it on the theater opening night and I'm pretty sure I knew it was a slasher movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah the trailer made it pretty clear what you were getting into. Barrymore eating it in the opening scene was def a surprise, considering she was the only star at the time.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well hell, I guess everybody did have the impression it was a straight-up slasher movie starring Drew Barrymore who definitely does not die and I was just a weirdo outlier. Wouldn't be the first time!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

M_Sinistrari posted:

While I've mentioned my Mom having been president of Christopher Lee's fan club back in the day, I mostly never went into detail because of possible internet detectivery. But with how introspective I've gotten with being down with the broken wrist, and digging around for what I can share, here's some stuff I have with some reminiscing. Sorry for the state of the pics, I don't have a scanner so it's making do with my tablet camera. Once I get a scanner, I'll be able to post more. My Mom's the one who got me into horror films, pretty much had me watching them from when I could sit up in the playpen. There were also plenty of times her and my Dad would take me with to the show when they couldn't get a babysitter, so I got to see The Exorcist, House of Psychotic Women and Jaws when they first came out.

I was really young when my Mom was club president, like around kindergarten age. Naturally I was drafted into helping along with things like open the fan mail kinda stuff, prep the fanzines for mailing. For as crazy as we think fandoms are now, they were crazy back in the 70s. Because of the Hammer Dracula films, we did have someone mail in a vial of their blood, and another person who was so lonely they were willing to sacrifice animals to Satan to have Dracula acknowledge them. Needless to say, this resulted in some discussions most kindergartners never had with their parents. It was also no big deal for Christopher Lee to call the house, which had me thinking it's a perfectly normal thing for actors to be calling people's houses until I learned otherwise.

Here's one of the few fanzines from then that I still have. I remember Mom typing up the original on her typewriter, pasting the fan art and photos in to get taken to the printshop. Member fees pretty much paid for the bulk of it, but there were some times that Mom paid for some out of pocket. Fandom was way more of a community back then. My Mom was besties with the Leonard Nimoy fan club president and we had someone high up in the Bruce Lee fan club staying with us for a while. Everyone shared memorabilia and meetup info happily. My Mom also struck up correspondence friendships with a lot of the fans. This led to interesting conversations years later such as when Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things was on the midnight horror movie and my Mom commenting that it was nice that Alan finally made a movie. Turns out he'd write her about all these ideas he had and she kept telling him he should make movies with all these good ideas.

She was good friends with Forry Ackerman, got printed in Famous Monsters quite a bit. I credit Forry with showing me that you don't have to outgrow horror films. Did get to wear Imhotep's ring, and my Dad got to wear Lugosi's cape and ring.

One of my big fanclub memories was meeting Christopher Lee at O'Hare Airport for the promo tour for Man with the Golden Gun. Despite how many times I'd seen Christopher Lee in the Hammer films, it was seeing him in a plaid suit that scared me silent. I was also weirded out by Herve Villechaize because he was a grown up but my height.

I used to have more memorabilia, but my ex-husband felt I had too much attachment to things and trashed a lot.

Here's one of the few Peter Cushing things I have left, and here's the back of the photo with name blocked out.

Note reads "May God's blessing be with you always in all sincerity."

Funny story behind this pic was we'd gone to a Charleton Heston film fest where they were showing all the films he had at the time. My Dad had gone to get snacks but came back emptyhanded telling us we had to get to the lobby NOW. Mom grumbled a bit since we had good seats, but we got up and there was Charleton Heston waiting in the empty lobby, so I got the pic signed.

We did do the convention thing, but what pics I have look awful with the tablet camera, so those'll have to wait for a scanner.

Last pic to share is from the letters section of the fanzine.

Christopher Lee was true to his word, he didn't retire.

This is awesome thanks for posting it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

M_Sinistrari posted:

While I've mentioned my Mom having been president of Christopher Lee's fan club back in the day, I mostly never went into detail because of possible internet detectivery. But with how introspective I've gotten with being down with the broken wrist, and digging around for what I can share, here's some stuff I have with some reminiscing. Sorry for the state of the pics, I don't have a scanner so it's making do with my tablet camera. Once I get a scanner, I'll be able to post more. My Mom's the one who got me into horror films, pretty much had me watching them from when I could sit up in the playpen. There were also plenty of times her and my Dad would take me with to the show when they couldn't get a babysitter, so I got to see The Exorcist, House of Psychotic Women and Jaws when they first came out.

I was really young when my Mom was club president, like around kindergarten age. Naturally I was drafted into helping along with things like open the fan mail kinda stuff, prep the fanzines for mailing. For as crazy as we think fandoms are now, they were crazy back in the 70s. Because of the Hammer Dracula films, we did have someone mail in a vial of their blood, and another person who was so lonely they were willing to sacrifice animals to Satan to have Dracula acknowledge them. Needless to say, this resulted in some discussions most kindergartners never had with their parents. It was also no big deal for Christopher Lee to call the house, which had me thinking it's a perfectly normal thing for actors to be calling people's houses until I learned otherwise.

Here's one of the few fanzines from then that I still have. I remember Mom typing up the original on her typewriter, pasting the fan art and photos in to get taken to the printshop. Member fees pretty much paid for the bulk of it, but there were some times that Mom paid for some out of pocket. Fandom was way more of a community back then. My Mom was besties with the Leonard Nimoy fan club president and we had someone high up in the Bruce Lee fan club staying with us for a while. Everyone shared memorabilia and meetup info happily. My Mom also struck up correspondence friendships with a lot of the fans. This led to interesting conversations years later such as when Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things was on the midnight horror movie and my Mom commenting that it was nice that Alan finally made a movie. Turns out he'd write her about all these ideas he had and she kept telling him he should make movies with all these good ideas.

She was good friends with Forry Ackerman, got printed in Famous Monsters quite a bit. I credit Forry with showing me that you don't have to outgrow horror films. Did get to wear Imhotep's ring, and my Dad got to wear Lugosi's cape and ring.

One of my big fanclub memories was meeting Christopher Lee at O'Hare Airport for the promo tour for Man with the Golden Gun. Despite how many times I'd seen Christopher Lee in the Hammer films, it was seeing him in a plaid suit that scared me silent. I was also weirded out by Herve Villechaize because he was a grown up but my height.

I used to have more memorabilia, but my ex-husband felt I had too much attachment to things and trashed a lot.

Here's one of the few Peter Cushing things I have left, and here's the back of the photo with name blocked out.

Note reads "May God's blessing be with you always in all sincerity."

Funny story behind this pic was we'd gone to a Charleton Heston film fest where they were showing all the films he had at the time. My Dad had gone to get snacks but came back emptyhanded telling us we had to get to the lobby NOW. Mom grumbled a bit since we had good seats, but we got up and there was Charleton Heston waiting in the empty lobby, so I got the pic signed.

We did do the convention thing, but what pics I have look awful with the tablet camera, so those'll have to wait for a scanner.

Last pic to share is from the letters section of the fanzine.

Christopher Lee was true to his word, he didn't retire.

This is so loving cool, thanks for posting!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

lizardman posted:

If you're talking about Drew Barrymore, I think reaction to that might have been a little exaggerated. Just speaking for myself, I definitely got the impression that Barrymore was more of a special celebrity guest rather than the star of the movie. In fact it's pretty evident from the trailer her character's death is what sets the main plot in motion - though I was surprised it was literally the first scene.

Still, I'd be curious myself what folks going in on opening weekend for Scream thought, because pre-release it was marketed as a thriller rather than a horror movie. When people started talking about "that movie Scream" what surprised me wasn't Drew Barrymore but rather that the movie apparently had the killer wearing a mask and there was lots of bloody kills and chase scenes.

I saw Scream on opening weekend, and it was such early days of the internet that nothing was spoiled. It was a real shocker for the audience and that was a time when stunt-casting someone like Barrymore wasn't done nearly as often as it is now.

I don't think anyone had the impression that Scream was a thriller rather than straight-ahead horror though? I certainly recall the marketing making that explicit, and when you see Wes Craven's name on a poster you don't assume anything but horror. We all went in with the expectation of it being a horror movie.

e: that Christopher Lee post owns

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I saw Scream on opening weekend, and it was such early days of the internet that nothing was spoiled. It was a real shocker for the audience and that was a time when stunt-casting someone like Barrymore wasn't done nearly as often as it is now.

I don't think anyone had the impression that Scream was a thriller rather than straight-ahead horror though? I certainly recall the marketing making that explicit, and when you see Wes Craven's name on a poster you don't assume anything but horror. We all went in with the expectation of it being a horror movie.

e: that Christopher Lee post owns

There is that trend of Hollywood not liking to promote a horror film as horror, even though horror movies do put asses in the theater seats.. Arachnophobia was pushed as a 'thrill-omedy', Silence of the Lambs was pushed as a crime thriller or they pushed the 'from the best-selling book'. Whether those campaigns were actually successful in making people think they weren't sitting through a horror film's debateable.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Cold Hell was a good watch, thanks for the recommendation!

Is shudder an English dub? I watched the German version.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Out of curiosity I decided to look up the TV spots for Scream from 1996 to see how they come off to me now. There's definitely a horror vibe and I would probably peg it nowadays as horror in a general sense, and I don't think even at the time I'd argue with someone who saw it and described it as horror. But I can definitely tell they tried really hard to de-emphasize the slashery-ness of the whole affair.

While I was at it, I looked up and compared it to TV commercials from 1995 for Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers and Seven. All three of them have their similarities, (my god, Movie Trailer Voice Over Guy really was loving everywhere), but I'd say the marketing for Scream feels more closely related to Seven's than it does to Halloween 6. Halloween's is undeniably for a slasher movie: showcasing its monster as the star, emphasizing how he's a brutal murderer and he's coming for you. Both Scream and Seven focus on survivors, law enforcement, mystery, that the killer is playing a "game" of some sort.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also just realizing re-watching those commercials, I'm sure another thing that threw me off from thinking Scream was a slasher flick was that the killer talks (and from the ads there was no indication that he only does it over the phone). I think there's a kind of unspoken element of fantasy to horror and slashers especially- the killer is presented as a monster, even if he's human. About the only slashers that could get away with talking were Freddy Krueger and Chucky, because they were already obviously monsters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Me watching movies

"This looks like total trash Imma watch it"

Also me

" This was a terrible idea"

Also Also Me

"Well I have invested 30 minutes of my life may as well finish it"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Me watching movies

Also me

Also Also Me

I wish I could laugh at this, but I'm guilty of it too.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hollismason posted:

Me watching movies

Also me

Also Also Me

That’s when I just go on my laptop and leave it on in the background

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I watch so much trash that seeing a legitimately well done movie is such a weird experience.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Always pair a great film with a terrible one, so you can appreciate the great film even more.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

M_Sinistrari posted:

There is that trend of Hollywood not liking to promote a horror film as horror, even though horror movies do put asses in the theater seats.. Arachnophobia was pushed as a 'thrill-omedy', Silence of the Lambs was pushed as a crime thriller or they pushed the 'from the best-selling book'. Whether those campaigns were actually successful in making people think they weren't sitting through a horror film's debateable.

Oh even today people like critics have trouble admitting Silence is horror-especially since it won so many drat Oscars, and horror never belongs there with those snobs.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Oh even today people like critics have trouble admitting Silence is horror-especially since it won so many drat Oscars, and horror never belongs there with those snobs.

I will never forget or forgive Siskel & Ebert's reaction to Friday the 13th with not only spoiling the film, but doxxing people involved with the film.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

I will never forget or forgive Siskel & Ebert's reaction to Friday the 13th with not only spoiling the film, but doxxing people involved with the film.

Ebert was a narrow minded prick. I get why people respected his opinions, but gently caress that guy.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ebert was cool. He liked big titties. :shrug:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

I mean, we could probably find some common ground there.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
In conclusion, Ebert was a land of contrasts, thank you.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

M_Sinistrari posted:

What’s the story with this?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The Senator Giroux posted:

What’s the story with this?

Here's a pretty good overview with links.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/siskel-and-ebert-vs-friday-the-13th-a-brief-scathing-history/

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just walked out of Slender Man. It was Okay.

it was pretty good for a low budget horror movie, and cool that the screenplay was written by the guy who came up with slenderman in these dead comedy forums all those years ago.

Cinematography, sound design, and direction was pretty good but the writing fell flat in a lot of places and it couldn’t really settle on a theme.

Whole movie was very surreal and dreamy which I liked a lot.

Go check it out if you want an okay movie

Edit: I don’t know why I spoiler tagged this there isn’t a spoiler to be found here

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 13, 2018

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is the marble hornets movie good?

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is the marble hornets movie good?

I remember it being watchable, but nothing special. Very middle of the road found footage movie.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Knocked back a couple drinks and popped in Puppet Master 2. This was a wise decision.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Ebert was a real piece of poo poo. I remember attending a screening of The Brown Bunny here in Toronto and that fuckboy was talking loudly and catcalling the movie like an idiot. I don't care how bad the movie is, no one wants to see that.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ebert was a real piece of poo poo. I remember attending a screening of The Brown Bunny here in Toronto and that fuckboy was talking loudly and catcalling the movie like an idiot. I don't care how bad the movie is, no one wants to see that.

Probably thinking to himself about how lucky everyone in the theater must be to watch a movie with a professional movie watcher like him

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Didn't he get into like, a public feud with Gallo over that film, and totally steal a Churchill zing during it?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Me watching movies

Also me

Also Also Me

Please don't doxx my viewing of The Messengers 2: The Scarecrow from earlier today.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Didn't he get into like, a public feud with Gallo over that film, and totally steal a Churchill zing during it?

Ebert loving hated Brown Bunny in the first instance. Gallo, for his part, said he wished Ebert would get colon cancer. they both had some pretty good zingers if you can be bothered looking it up. then Gallo did a recut of Brown Bunny and Ebert was like "oh okay we're cool now, guess this film's alright". beef quashed i suppose.

but yeah Ebert never "got" horror cinema, it just wasn't his bag at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Null of Undefined posted:

Probably thinking to himself about how lucky everyone in the theater must be to watch a movie with a professional movie watcher like him

Having seen The Brown Bunny I can say he was right.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Having seen The Brown Bunny I can say he was right.

I'm not defending TBB at all - I didn't hate it but I didn't have any strong opinions on it either - but of all people, a loving film critic should know better than to disrupt a film screening that way. Your singular reason to exist as a film critic should be to occupy a seat for two hours, quietly, and then go cry about it later if you have to.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lizardman posted:

If you're talking about Drew Barrymore, I think reaction to that might have been a little exaggerated. Just speaking for myself, I definitely got the impression that Barrymore was more of a special celebrity guest rather than the star of the movie. In fact it's pretty evident from the trailer her character's death is what sets the main plot in motion - though I was surprised it was literally the first scene.

Still, I'd be curious myself what folks going in on opening weekend for Scream thought, because pre-release it was marketed as a thriller rather than a horror movie. When people started talking about "that movie Scream" what surprised me wasn't Drew Barrymore but rather that the movie apparently had the killer wearing a mask and there was lots of bloody kills and chase scenes.

I saw it opening weekend with my girlfriend at the time and we both knew it was a slasher and that's about it. The first act was pretty intense and fun to experience as a teenager with your girlfriend and you both have no idea what the gently caress is about to happen.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

The filming of Grizzly 2 reminds me of the disaster behind the Island of Dr. Moreau.

“The main scenes for Grizzly II: The Predator were completed, but before special effects featuring a huge electromechanical bear could be used, the executive producer, Joseph Proctor, disappeared with all of the funds, with some sources saying he was jailed during the time of the filming. Filmed footage of a live bear, however, attacking a live rock concert, was shot in Hungary.”

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Just saw Invasion of the Body Snatchers ‘78, holy poo poo. The relatively low key feel of the film really helps sell the sparing use of gore. And that goddamn dog. I’d kill to see Kaufman’s version of Star Trek with Toshiro Mifune.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I hosted a viewing of The Lost Boys over the weekend for a group that hadn't seen it. Half of them were surprised by how dark it was, while the other half was surprised by how light-hearted it was and how very little violence is in it. It's much more charming than I remember it, with the weird Frog brothers being so self-serious, the wacky grandpa, the cute dog Nanook, the mom trying to make her family life work... I also love the underlying fear of counterculturalism and how Punk = ScaryEvilBad, especially with it being a 1987 film, with Punk having been established for almost a decade now.

I found some really cool punk footage and some horror short films to show before the documentary, if anyone is interested.

Also, fun fact: Lost Boys came out June 31st, 1987, when "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight", "Alone" (by Heart), and "Living on a Prayer", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Walk Like An Egyptian" were all top-hits on the radio.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 13, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lost Boys trivia! Some of the movie was shot in my hometown. The bridge scene for sure was and it was later involved in one of the worst rail disasters ever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bayou_Canot_rail_accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Franchescanado posted:

I hosted a viewing of The Lost Boys over the weekend for a group that hadn't seen it. Half of them were surprised by how dark it was, while the other half was surprised by how light-hearted it was and how very little violence is in it.

Lost Boys is one of my favorite movies and it definitely yo-yos from dark to light-hearted. I was 5 when I first watched it and was terrified when David and Co. tear apart the other punk gang and toss their corpses on the beach bonfire. Overall, there's not much gore besides when vampires bites it.

They originally were going to make a sequel where David survives and creates a gang of "Lost Girls". Instead, we got Lost Boys: The Tribe and Lost Boys: The Thirst which are just... terrible movies. The Thirst is kinda campy fun but it totally misses the mark on what made the first movie good.