Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Bring back the led battery checker cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Milkman posted:

Bring back the led battery checker cowards

For real, put it on the brick if you want to make the cable interchangeable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Milkman posted:

Bring back the good keyboards cowards

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes true courage...is cowardly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For real, put it on the brick if you want to make the cable interchangeable.

No I want the button on the side of the laptop like it used to be

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Those side LEDs were loving crucial when I was teaching a music production course using MacBooks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would press the button because I liked watching the leds light up in sequence.

Well actually I just like pressing random buttons, so a button you can mash as often as you want with no consequence AND light up some lights is the best thing ever.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

If only Tim could afford to add a single LED to the $2,500 laptop

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've never noticed a sound, but now I will never not be able to notice it and I hate you for that.
welcome

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You're all dinosaurs living in the past.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Shaocaholica posted:

You're all dinosaurs living in the past.

I've fully accepted that within 3 years apple's Pro laptop will be two iPads hinged together

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
How necessary is 16gb on the new MBP? 8gb seems a bit gimpy, and its only ~$200 for futureproof tax.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, the old '8 GB is enough' axiom for rMBPs up until 2015 doesn't hold up anymore, especially if you upgrade to High Sierra.

I'm constantly hitting swapfiles and getting slowdowns just visiting websites to pay my goddamn bills on an 8 GB late 2013 rMBP, even though I upgraded it to a 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo.

Meanwhile, on an eight year old cMP with 24 GB of RAM, I've never even seen swapfiles created. Both have High Sierra and the same mixed workload (Safari / Office 2016 / occaisional Illustrator/PhotoShop/Acrobat)

16 GB should be plenty unless you're running multiple VMs or something.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 10, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I know this may not technically belong here, but I thought y'all might get a kick out of this. No, not because of the touch trackpad gimmick, but because of the Olympic Gold Medallist grade mental gymnastics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1oudpqEG_w&t=334s

Asus also poorly implemented an i9 in a laptop? Apple's fault!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Theophany posted:

I know this may not technically belong here, but I thought y'all might get a kick out of this. No, not because of the touch trackpad gimmick, but because of the Olympic Gold Medallist grade mental gymnastics:

Somehow I knew this was gonna be Linus before I clicked.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have a mid 2013 Macbook air with only an 128gb SSD. Is there any reason not to use one of those M2 adapters that you can buy? I'd rather not spend a premium on the OWC SSDs.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have a mid 2013 Macbook air with only an 128gb SSD. Is there any reason not to use one of those M2 adapters that you can buy? I'd rather not spend a premium on the OWC SSDs.

Your laptop won't sleep properly without a hacky firmware flash. It feels like my battery life has also gone down since putting it in, but that one is more unknown.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Theophany posted:

He’s not wrong. PC laptops have been copying MacBooks for years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

OWC is balls. Have you priced out an OEM drive on eBay?

What about just buying one with a 512GB drive and selling yours?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shaocaholica posted:

He’s not wrong. PC laptops have been copying MacBooks for years.

lol I'm sure Asus' entire start-to-finish manufacturing and tooling process happened in the month since the latest MacBook Pro was launched out of left field.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Theophany posted:

lol I'm sure Asus' entire start-to-finish manufacturing and tooling process happened in the month since the latest MacBook Pro was launched out of left field.

Linus was talking specifically and generally. PC laptops have gotten thinner to be on-parity with MacBooks for years. It’s not entirely Apples fault. The PC makers are mostly at fault for trying to follow Apple to dead end designs.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 11, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taipei, start your photocopiers!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
At this point Intel should just make Apple specific CPU SKUs that are more suited to the cooling. No point putting actually good binned CPUs in there if they'll never get to operate at nominal speeds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Theophany posted:

I wonder what he thinks about thin-and-light machines like the XPS that had i9s in them for weeks before the MBP was updated.

Shaocaholica posted:

Linus was talking specifically and generally. PC laptops have gotten thinner to be on-parity with MacBooks years. It’s not entirely Apples fault. The PC makers are mostly at fault for trying to follow Apple to dead end designs.

If Linus cut Apple 1/100th the amount of slack he cuts companies like Razer for shipping unfinished/unrefined products at a high price point he’d singlehandedly put MacRumors out of business.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I wonder what he thinks about thin-and-light machines like the XPS that had i9s in them for weeks before the MBP was updated.

Has anyone actually said its not a problem for XPS or any other PC laptop? It's not that people are giving PC laptops a pass. It's just that MacBooks are way more popular and thus more scrutiny. No one gives a poo poo if some PC laptop has flaws. There's always some other PC laptop that has a different compromise. There's only 2 MBPs.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Has anyone actually said its not a problem for XPS or any other PC laptop? It's not that people are giving PC laptops a pass. It's just that MacBooks are way more popular and thus more scrutiny. No one gives a poo poo if some PC laptop has flaws. There's always some other PC laptop that has a different compromise. There's only 2 MBPs.

No, it’s just never brought up and people usually say the XPS is the better machine. As some one who has to use OSX for work, I find it funny when people don’t get professionals use the best tool for their job. In my case, macs. That being said, if I could literally just take a ThinkPad X1 carbon and slap OSX on it, I would. I like the keyboard better

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If Linus cut Apple 1/100th the amount of slack he cuts companies like Razer for shipping unfinished/unrefined products at a high price point he’d singlehandedly put MacRumors out of business.

He points out plenty of flaws in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1GABTei_7c&t=273s

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Even though I was pretty set on getting a 13” MacBook Pro for grad school, I did do a decent amount of research on Windows laptops, and the only one that really piqued my interest was the Surface Book 2 - I’m not sure how it deals with throttling, but it’s pretty impressive that they were able to fit a Quad-Core + GTX 1050/1060 in such a thin laptop. Expensive, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ominous sight at Microcenter, half of the Apple room is now the TV room.

Apple is the most valuable company in the world, but their Mac lineup is so diminished they can’t even fill a room with products and accessories.

:(

Shaocaholica posted:

At this point Intel should just make Apple specific CPU SKUs that are more suited to the cooling. No point putting actually good binned CPUs in there if they'll never get to operate at nominal speeds.

Is that what they did for the MacBook? I thought Intel tweaked their chips somewhat for Apple laptops already.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ominous sight at Microcenter, half of the Apple room is now the TV room.

Apple is the most valuable company in the world, but their Mac lineup is so diminished they can’t even fill a room with products and accessories.

:(

My friend have you heard of these things called "Apple Stores"? They are quite large I've found.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krispy Wafer posted:

They didn’t become the most valuable company by offering a large selection of products.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Evis posted:

They didn’t become the most valuable company by offering a large selection of products.

How many iPhones are there right now?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

My friend have you heard of these things called "Apple Stores"? They are quite large I've found.

Microcenter has managed to keep a fairly well stocked Apple section even with nearby Apple stores. Their prices are often lower than Apple (although a lot of time it’s on the prior year’s model). But if they’re cutting back on space then they’re not selling as many.

I’m just bummed at fewer independent Apple Mac retailers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still mourning Tekserve.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I just graduated and turned in the nontouchbar mbp that I had been given to wrap things up, and man, I'm not sure anything out there is worth replacing my 2013 MacBook air. Feels real bad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Despair posted:

I just graduated and turned in the nontouchbar mbp that I had been given to wrap things up, and man, I'm not sure anything out there is worth replacing my 2013 MacBook air. Feels real bad.

Same here, just need a new battery and it'll keep going another 5 years.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Bob Morales posted:

How many iPhones are there right now?

Five. Eight if you consider plus models to be their own type.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

So I have two spots where the screen of my 2013 MBA is much brighter than the rest. It's like screen bleeding, but in the middle of the screen. There's probably nothing that can be done about it, right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Krispy Wafer posted:

Microcenter has managed to keep a fairly well stocked Apple section even with nearby Apple stores. Their prices are often lower than Apple (although a lot of time it’s on the prior year’s model). But if they’re cutting back on space then they’re not selling as many.

One thing I've noticed is that MicroCenter is still a good place to find EOL'ed Apple accessories like the Fifth Generation AEBS.
Dunno why everyone loves to dunk on it saying it's outdated; Apple hasn't released any machines whose WiFi is more advanced than what was in the last AEBS model. It has probably the fastest Broadcom CPU running in a unit its size plus gobs of RAM, more than you'll get in other routers of its class, and still hasn't been hacked successfully on a grand scale. I've sent several clients to MC just to get AEBSes on closeout who are very happy with theirs.

Data Graham posted:

Still mourning Tekserve.

It couldn't compete with two Apple Stores right within 30 blocks of it. I remember them from their lovely hole in the wall location, my feeling is that they got too big too fast.

I'm still mourning J&R as well, some really great deals were to be had there, IMHO it took Amazon to beat them into the dust.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

One thing I've noticed is that MicroCenter is still a good place to find EOL'ed Apple accessories like the Fifth Generation AEBS.
Dunno why everyone loves to dunk on it saying it's outdated; Apple hasn't released any machines whose WiFi is more advanced than what was in the last AEBS model. It has probably the fastest Broadcom CPU running in a unit its size plus gobs of RAM, more than you'll get in other routers of its class, and still hasn't been hacked successfully on a grand scale. I've sent several clients to MC just to get AEBSes on closeout who are very happy with theirs.

How much are they? I can't seem to find them on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

When I need warranty service done I try to go with one of the indie places that is authorized to bill AppleCare for the work.

Nicer for me too because I can just drop my computer off without an appointment, and the person at the reception desk always offers a coffee while I sign the paperwork.

As far as I can tell this place pretty much survives on authorized warranty work and volume B2B sales to institutions. They have no showroom and the retail stock they have on display is a bookshelf that has power adapters and keyboards. I only even found out about the place because it was where my office IT guy told me to take my company-issue Mac for repairs after I dropped it.