Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

I like that in the clip you see the other way Doc reacts to danger. Like when it's some psycho killer that clearly wants to hurt him he turns into a coward calling for Brock but when it's some super science/guild and OSI nonsense he is so done with any of that

It also shows that once he's annoyed, he's annoyed, and that's it. In that scene, he's annoyed that all this bullshit is still happening on his lawn.

Like in "Twenty Years to Midnight," he's got a mission, and this huge alien with a tinny, PA-like voice starts going on and on and on about something he doesn't care about. "Look, we don't have time for this!" is his response, and when it becomes clear that the Grand Galactic Inquisitor is going to be tagging along, he just sighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
THAT WAS A WEIRD ONE!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
LADYSMITH BLACK MOMBAZO!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

RandallODim posted:

LADYSMITH BLACK MOMBAZO!
lmao never thought to look at subtitles here, of course it's a reference to a musical group

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I like that in the clip you see the other way Doc reacts to danger. Like when it's some psycho killer that clearly wants to hurt him he turns into a coward calling for Brock but when it's some super science/guild and OSI nonsense he is so done with any of that

Smart

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Ep. 2 is now streaming on the AS website and app.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

QwertySanchez posted:

Holy poo poo I never got that the Phantom Limb's outfit was a parody of The Phantom.

I only recently realized that Jackson Publick was a pun and not just a cool pulpy sounding name

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Question Friend posted:

I only recently realized that Jackson Publick was a pun and not just a cool pulpy sounding name

Haha, yeah. Hey, my friend here wanted to hear about how this is a pun but you tell the story better.....

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

TK-42-1 posted:

Haha, yeah. Hey, my friend here wanted to hear about how this is a pun but you tell the story better.....

Jacks (off) in public

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Was considering joining but $230 CAD + shipping is a lot for some shirts. First week's shirt is a miss for me but that bonus only shirt is amazing :(.

tbh after seeing last season's shirts I felt the same way, but after reading the book I want to support these dudes doing dumb fun things in any way I can, so I personally justified it as a donation that has the added bonus of a bunch of shirts.

Also, Sereri sold me their Spanakopita shirt which arrived on the same day as the book– and what can I say, I'm full of venture love at the moment. I'm so ecstatic to wear this around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think anyone else mentioned but there's some really skeezy stuff going on with Sirena's bodyguard... and she seems quite aware that his behaviour is less protective parent more psycho stalker, but isn't really in the position to do much about it.

(Also on that note, both Hank and Brock spent the last season showing they'd gotten over Molotov Cocktease and move on to more serious relationships with women who actually return their feelings, with Brock finding his loves of sex and violence mix nicely with Warriana while Hank finally actually dates a girl his own age who lives in the same world that he does)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think anyone else mentioned but there's some really skeezy stuff going on with Sirena's bodyguard... and she seems quite aware that his behaviour is less protective parent more psycho stalker, but isn't really in the position to do much about it.

(Also on that note, both Hank and Brock spent the last season showing they'd gotten over Molotov Cocktease and move on to more serious relationships with women who actually return their feelings, with Brock finding his loves of sex and violence mix nicely with Warriana while Hank finally actually dates a girl his own age who lives in the same world that he does)

They address this in the book* in that you're dead on when it comes to rocco.

*don't want to be that person but they made a 400 page book on this stuff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I didn't need to read it in the book. I was on the fence about his behavior in "Curse of the Haunted Problem," because he still had a teeny, tiny level of plausible deniability. He was talking about what she wore when she did yoga; it's weird to know and mention the specific type of sports bra she typically had on, but if she wore a similar outfit every time, anyone around would notice. And, hearing the excuse "oh, I was just doing yoga" when he heard noises coming from her room, and finding her in her nice lingerie? Yeah, that could easily lead to that conversation. At least, if he claimed that's why he was talking about her bra, it'd be plausible.

In "The Rorqual Affair," though, he's undeniably playing the part of that creepy "friend" who's crushing on a girl and always waiting for a chance to prove that he's the man she really wants. "Is someone doing that to you, Sirena????" he says, like a dude who's trying to find out if his best friend is being abused so he can go all white knight on the guy's rear end. Yeah, he has a thing for her. And I don't mean his electric spear thingee, either.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

tarlibone posted:

In "The Rorqual Affair," though, he's undeniably playing the part of that creepy "friend" who's crushing on a girl and always waiting for a chance to prove that he's the man she really wants. "Is someone doing that to you, Sirena????" he says, like a dude who's trying to find out if his best friend is being abused so he can go all white knight on the guy's rear end. Yeah, he has a thing for her. And I don't mean his electric spear thingee, either.

I think you're forgetting the conversation Wide Wale and Rocco had earlier about how he was really good at tying people up because his ex was really into BDSM or whatever. So Rocco is worried that she'll tell her dad that someone tied her up and he'll think it was Rocco but he also wants to know if someone is tying her up for his spank bank. It's way super creepier.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I just saw the commentary track for house of mummies, where doc wanted the Orpheus line about dean kissing Triana to be even creepier.

”PICTURE HER KISSING YOU ON THE MOUTH. SHES USING HER TONGUE.”

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

I think you're forgetting the conversation Wide Wale and Rocco had earlier about how he was really good at tying people up because his ex was really into BDSM or whatever. So Rocco is worried that she'll tell her dad that someone tied her up and he'll think it was Rocco but he also wants to know if someone is tying her up for his spank bank. It's way super creepier.

Oh, I remember that conversation. And, that's why he immediately went to a creepy place with his conversation with Sirena. But, here's how I read the scene: Rocco's concern about Sirena getting tied up had nothing to do with Rocco worrying that WW would find out and then assume it's Rocco tying her up, but instead was pure jealousy. For Rocco, tying up a girl = sexy fun time, and he wants to be the one having sexy fun time with Sirena. So, if someone else is tying her up, then someone else must be having sexy fun time with her, and that pushes his jealousy buttons hard, so he freaks out and asks if anyone is tying her up. He covers up his obvious jealousy by quickly switching to protector mode. (And, to be fair, I'm sure WW, on some level, expects Rocco and the gang to keep Sirena from having sexy fun time, because that's what fathers stereotypically want: no sexy fun time for their young daughters.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yea he should not know so much about her underwear, that shits creepy. Even if he just knew it from being around her, you don't say that poo poo.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm kinda amazed it took all the way to this ep to see rocco as a creeper it was pretty obvious to me what the situation was all the way in the previous season.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He also enjoys mad libs.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I remember maybe 1% of the previous season, that poo poo was like 8 years ago

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

He also enjoys mad libs.

Everyone has to have a redeeming quality.

Billzasilver posted:

I remember maybe 1% of the previous season, that poo poo was like 8 years ago

Jesus Christ, stop with the loving hyperbole! Season 6 was way more than 8 years ago.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Holy poo poo Season 7 has started why am I oy learning this now? Time to find somewhere to binge watch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

reignofevil posted:

I'm kinda amazed it took all the way to this ep to see rocco as a creeper it was pretty obvious to me what the situation was all the way in the previous season.

I remember it being fairly clear but they were a bit more blatant about it this time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

Holy poo poo Season 7 has started why am I oy learning this now? Time to find somewhere to binge watch.

shouldnt take long

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Guys Rocco is not a creep at all. this show has a stunning track record of not making the bodyguards creepy, including the literal pedophile. If you put Rocco's 'creepy' line coming out of Brock's mouth yelled at Dean or at the big lady and the two twins from the Weregator episode it the same thing. He's concerned for his charge and basically is only ever trying to keep her safe.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rusty spent his youth being constantly chased, threatened, kidnapped, tormented, and generally terrified. Also, somehow, neglected at the same time. Over time, his fight-or-flight response has been honed (or broken) to the point where it's a simple decision tree with only two branches.

"Danger again. Nope, I am not dealing with this crap. Is running likely to help?"
- If Yes: "Run away!"
- If No: "Ugh, fine, staying put. But I still refuse to deal with any of this poo poo."

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Bust Rodd posted:

Guys Rocco is not a creep at all. this show has a stunning track record of not making the bodyguards creepy, including the literal pedophile. If you put Rocco's 'creepy' line coming out of Brock's mouth yelled at Dean or at the big lady and the two twins from the Weregator episode it the same thing. He's concerned for his charge and basically is only ever trying to keep her safe.

Safe from wearing the wrong bra while excersizing?

While being way too specific about her bras and where she buys them?

Quick question: how often does someone call you creepy?

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 12, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Bust Rodd posted:

Sgt. Hatred was very creepy at first, and I'm glad they toned it down. I didn't pick up on his character much last season except for his interactions with Brock, but no, Rocco is pretty weird this season, and fwiw the book confirms that that's part of his schtick.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I just watched Episode 1. Is it just me or did the animation take a big step up this season?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
"

OscarDiggs posted:

I just watched Episode 1. Is it just me or did the animation take a big step up this season?

", said everyone ever regarding every season premiere of Venture Bros.

And of course that's said, because it does get better every season. One thing that makes the long waits forgivable is that the look of the show always seems to go in the right direction in terms of quality.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 12, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

They've been killing it this season

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Archyduke posted:

Sgt. Hatred was very creepy at first, and I'm glad they toned it down. I didn't pick up on his character much last season except for his interactions with Brock, but no, Rocco is pretty weird this season, and fwiw the book confirms that that's part of his schtick.

When you put it that way, it kinda seems like Rocco is basically a counterpart to Sgt Hatred, not pulling punches on how creepy and intrusive it can get with someone who doesn't make the effort to control their behaviour.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Please man can we cut this poo poo out at the pass? There's been a single episode aired and reading about stuff about the story or the show or cool stuff the creators have done is so much better than goons arguing what was the creepiest this or that for three or four pages

Do you guys think they're gonna make regular characters out of Jonas and Vendata as of episode 3? I feel like its gonna be kinda odd if they stuck around for a while but they probably should be around to explain all the hosed up poo poo they've done. Like Jonas is the source where all of Doc's problems

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I have not seen that episode. Is it online cuz I only know there are two or is it more based on speculation.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
No, just speculating off of the second episode's ending, assuming the guy that goes into the building is monarch's dad/vendata

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah ok. So I will speculate then. Episode 3 speculation so people don’t accidentally hover without knowing what it is. I don’t think these two are gonna be regular characters. My guess is that Vendata if that is him let’s Jonas merge with his body to keep him alive, either that or maybe fix Jonas himself. Or possibly sacrifice themselves. I mean this is gonna be the final conclusion to the Blue Morpho arc. Buuuut there is that preview of the truce treaty so it might be Jonas maybe gonna go on a revenge path.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

For anyone who's seen the second episode already, any bets on what the shirt's gonna be? I can't say I remember a logo sticking out anywhere.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you put it that way, it kinda seems like Rocco is basically a counterpart to Sgt Hatred, not pulling punches on how creepy and intrusive it can get with someone who doesn't make the effort to control their behaviour.

I feel like Rocco is controlling his behavior, in that he:

1) has a crush on Sirena;
2) knows that acting on it would be both wrong and would result in his horrible death;
3) is instead channeling his feelings into being overprotective, with the result that Sirena is miserable and hates him.

He's definitely trying to keep a lid on his feelings; he's just doing it in absolutely the wrong way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Rocco is controlling his behavior, in that he:

1) has a crush on Sirena;
2) knows that acting on it would be both wrong and would result in his horrible death;
3) is instead channeling his feelings into being overprotective, with the result that Sirena is miserable and hates him.

He's definitely trying to keep a lid on his feelings; he's just doing it in absolutely the wrong way.

Pretty much what I was thinking, well that and he's one of those guys who doesn't think before they speak and has little to no filter, so he says the kind of stupid stuff most people will think to themselves but not say out loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Maybe I’m being dumb, but why would Blue Morpho be Vendata?